HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky to NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
  #201
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Jersey and Edmonton are perfect partners for a trade. It's just the fan bases refuse to see eye to eye.

Hemsky would be a great fit in NJ. The worries about Hemskys injuries are unnecessary.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
  #202
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jersey and Edmonton are perfect partners for a trade. It's just the fan bases refuse to see eye to eye.

Hemsky would be a great fit in NJ. The worries about Hemskys injuries are unnecessary.
Basically what I'm trying to get at. There's a trade to be had, just not from any of us.
We're all lucky that our GMs don't have the emotional attachment to players that we all do as fans... otherwise nobody would ever be traded anywhere.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
  #203
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
The reason there is no trade between fan bases is because the Oilers don't want to sell low on Hemsky since he has been hurt so much and the NJD fans don't want to overpay for a guy that has been hurt a lot.

It makes no sense for the Oilers to trade Hemsky.

Wait and see how he plays up until the deadline. If he is healthy and playing well, and the team is out of the playoff race, then explore a trade.

If we are in a playoff race, then we need to keep him.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:08 PM
  #204
battlingBard56
Registered User
 
battlingBard56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Union County, NJ
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
I made the mistake of reading though the entire thread. (stupid of me).

Um. So any Oilers fan want to answer the original question?

Also, the Devils defense was enough to reach the S-t-a-n-l-e-y C-u-p F-i-n-a-l-s.
I'm spelling it that way because apparently some Oilers fans who don't want to acknowledge it need it spelled out for them.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  #205
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
No

This is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY WRONG

Being injury prone is different than being scared. Hemsky goes into dirty zones and will take hits to make plays.
Back when he was one of the few talented players on the roster, he was the target of opposing defensemen game-in, game-out.
There's no point. I gave up a while ago.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
  #206
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
The reason there is no trade between fan bases is because the Oilers don't want to sell low on Hemsky since he has been hurt so much and the NJD fans don't want to overpay for a guy that has been hurt a lot.

It makes no sense for the Oilers to trade Hemsky.

Wait and see how he plays up until the deadline. If he is healthy and playing well, and the team is out of the playoff race, then explore a trade.

If we are in a playoff race, then we need to keep him.
For ***** and giggles, if Hemsky's healthy at the deadline but is somewhat expendable (lets say it is because the youngsters are more than carrying the offensive load) - what is his pricetag?


You don't have to use specific players from the Devils roster (lest the sideshow that was the other 8 pages of this thread starts up again) - just give me the type of player(s) the Oilers would be looking for, or comparables even.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:23 PM
  #207
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
For ***** and giggles, if Hemsky's healthy at the deadline but is somewhat expendable (lets say it is because the youngsters are more than carrying the offensive load) - what is his pricetag?


You don't have to use specific players from the Devils roster (lest the sideshow that was the other 8 pages of this thread starts up again) - just give me the type of player the Oilers would be looking for, or comparables even.
That'd depend on his production, but if he's expendable but producing (lets say he's got 15-25 pts in 30 games, or however far along they'll be by trade deadline), then I think Edmonton would be happy with a young, big centre who could slot into the 3rd line for Horcoff, or a 2nd pairing defenceman.

Am I off-base? Sound workable for either/both sides?


Last edited by JoeCool16: 01-12-2013 at 11:29 PM.
JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
  #208
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
That'd depend on his production, but if he's expendable but producing (lets say he's got 15-20 pts in 30 games, or however far along they'll be by trade deadline), then I think Edmonton would be happy with a young, big centre who could slot into the 3rd line for Horcoff, or a 2nd pairing defenceman.

Am I off-base? Sound workable for either/both sides?
That sounds perfectly reasonable.
Essentially, that's what Devils fans are offering with Tallinder. His value might be lowered by the fact that we offer him up in every trade... but he does all the little things right. We just have too many dmen and we want to make way for some promising youth.

That aside, we're trading recurring injury risk for recurring injury risk... and, in the end, probably won't be enough of sure-fire deal for either GM to pull the trigger.

I love Hemsky's style of play, but I think with an aging roster and a 1st round pick to forfeit in the near future... I'd love to get someone a bit younger. (Personally)

In a vacuum, if both are playing to their potential, Hemsky for Tallinder seems perfect.

Sadly, not the value either team is looking for right now. Subject to change.
So we can put our claws away and save this for the many incoming deadline debates

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:33 PM
  #209
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
For ***** and giggles, if Hemsky's healthy at the deadline but is somewhat expendable (lets say it is because the youngsters are more than carrying the offensive load) - what is his pricetag?


You don't have to use specific players from the Devils roster (lest the sideshow that was the other 8 pages of this thread starts up again) - just give me the type of player(s) the Oilers would be looking for, or comparables even.
Well, the Oilers need is a bigger sized centre and help on defense. Size in the top 6 up front is definitely an area of need in general.

I think the Oilers are past the point of asking for picks/prospects for proven players, so it would need to be a hockey trade.

If they can get a 2/3C with some size and defensive play, that would fine, or a solid defender that can play in the top 4 that's not too old or a soon to be UFA.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:36 PM
  #210
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
The biggest knock against Tallinder is his age. He's still a good defenseman, but plays very similar to Nick Schultz as well, so he would kind of be a duplicate. I'd be a lot happier with Andy Greene, I just don't think the Oil are looking for a guy who is a year or two away from retirement when moving Hemsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
That sounds perfectly reasonable.
Essentially, that's what Devils fans are offering with Tallinder. His value might be lowered by the fact that we offer him up in every trade... but he does all the little things right. We just have too many dmen and we want to make way for some promising youth.

That aside, we're trading recurring injury risk for recurring injury risk... and, in the end, probably won't be enough of sure-fire deal for either GM to pull the trigger.

I love Hemsky's style of play, but I think with an aging roster and a 1st round pick to forfeit in the near future... I'd love to get someone a bit younger. (Personally)

In a vacuum, if both are playing to their potential, Hemsky for Tallinder seems perfect.

Sadly, not the value either team is looking for right now. Subject to change.
So we can put our claws away and save this for the many incoming deadline debates

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:38 PM
  #211
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
I made the mistake of reading though the entire thread. (stupid of me).

Um. So any Oilers fan want to answer the original question?

Also, the Devils defense was enough to reach the S-t-a-n-l-e-y C-u-p F-i-n-a-l-s.
I'm spelling it that way because apparently some Oilers fans who don't want to acknowledge it need it spelled out for them.
Nobody has said anything negative about the Devils defense core. Just the specific players offered for Hemsky (Tallinder and Volchenkov). And I did answer the question. Considering the Oilers biggest need is size in the top six, I think the asking price would be David Clarkson, or maybe Volchenkov and a good prospect or 1st round pick, but the Devils don't have the pick I don't think.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
  #212
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The biggest knock against Tallinder is his age. He's still a good defenseman, but plays very similar to Nick Schultz as well, so he would kind of be a duplicate. I'd be a lot happier with Andy Greene, I just don't think the Oil are looking for a guy who is a year or two away from retirement when moving Hemsky.
This is my concern as well.

Assuming both were playing well, we would be trading a winger under 30 years old for a guy that IIRC is 34-35 years old.

I think the Oilers want to target a guy in the 23-29 range, even if it means adding to a package to get someone they like.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:41 PM
  #213
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The biggest knock against Tallinder is his age. He's still a good defenseman, but plays very similar to Nick Schultz as well, so he would kind of be a duplicate. I'd be a lot happier with Andy Greene, I just don't think the Oil are looking for a guy who is a year or two away from retirement when moving Hemsky.
Oilers have a pretty young core moving forward.

If this is a deadline deal, Tallinder would slot in perfectly with young d who need a little help settling in. Depends how the Oilers are doing and how the defense looks.

This definitely isn't a deal to be had before a single game is played, as both of our rosters have a lot of questions to answer for themselves.

Greene's stock is going to be on the rise, I feel. I'm going to have a hard time fairly assessing his value until the season starts. To be continued with this one.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
  #214
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Oilers have a pretty young core moving forward.

If this is a deadline deal, Tallinder would slot in perfectly with young d who need a little help settling in. Depends how the Oilers are doing and how the defense looks.

This definitely isn't a deal to be had before a single game is played, as both of our rosters have a lot of questions to answer for themselves.

Greene's stock is going to be on the rise, I feel. I'm going to have a hard time fairly assessing his value until the season starts. To be continued with this one.
Agreed, I feel like these two teams could revisit things as the season progresses that is for sure.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  #215
HitmanKiller12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
This is my concern as well.

Assuming both were playing well, we would be trading a winger under 30 years old for a guy that IIRC is 34-35 years old.

I think the Oilers want to target a guy in the 23-29 range, even if it means adding to a package to get someone they like.
This.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:42 AM
  #216
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Fayne is not a #6 defenseman, stating that he clearly shows you know nothing about him or his game.
He's not a #1 or #2 either.

I'd even debate whethere he's a #3 on a team with a deeper defensive core than Jersey's.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
  #217
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Also, Volchenkov somehow isn't made of glass because of his style of play, but Hemsky is made of glass... because of his style of play.

I love the logic.

Shows that no one here on the east coast actually watches the Oilers at all or has center ice.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:48 AM
  #218
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
He's not a #1 or #2 either.

I'd even debate whethere he's a #3 on a team with a deeper defensive core than Jersey's.
You're a Rangers fan, want to know who his game is identical to? McDonaugh. Look, with out bunch of #4 D's we made it to the Stanley Cup finals so something was working.

New Jersey doesn't have a defined #1 D but if we're going to put a pair out there to log big minutes it'd be Greene and Fayne.

Want to know why Gaborik had 1 point (1 flukey goal cause Marty Misplayed the puck), Brad Richards had 3 points, and Hagelin had 0? That would be the work of Andy Greene and Mark Fayne

Quote:
Also, Volchenkov somehow isn't made of glass because of his style of play, but Hemsky is made of glass... because of his style of play.

I love the logic.

Shows that no one here on the east coast actually watches the Oilers at all or has center ice.
Does Alex Hemsky throw masticating hits and dive to block shots? No I didn't think so. If Hemsky played a gritty style people wouldn't say he's made out of glass. Anton does, if you sir call Anton Volchenkov made of glass you have probably not watched him play. The dudes a warrior and minus the Florida series any guy would want him on their team.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
  #219
B A T M A N
Risen
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gotham
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Hemsky's last three years played:
2009-10: 22 games
2010-11: 47 games
2011-12: 69 games

Volchenkov's:
2009-10: 64 games played
2010-11: 57 games played
2011-12: 72 games played

I wonder who the glass man is here? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:44 AM
  #220
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Some people a missing the facts here, the fact is the Oilers are not going to make the playoffs, and if they did it would be a bonus. If they do trade Hemsky, it will be for something that would improves the team and not for a player that would be a patch job. The Oilers need a physical D to combat teams like Calgary, LA, Minnesota, and the Canucks, and Tallinder doesn't fit that description. Any owner of a non-playoff team would fire his GM if he traded a top 6 forward for a 1 1/2 rental who is debatable if he's better then what his team has.

If they do make a trade it will be for a player in his prime or a top prosects + picks, that would help the team, not for someone that close to the end of his career. If they were a cup contender there would be a chance, but the Oilers are not.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:46 AM
  #221
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Volch has only played under 60 games once in his career

Quote:
In a game against the Boston Bruins, on December 8, 2003, he suffered a shoulder injury and took the majority of the 200304 season to recover.

In a regular season game against the Nashville Predators, on November 29, 2007, he suffered a broken finger in an attempt to block a shot. He would come back after missing 15 games.

In the 2008 playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Volchenkov fell in front of the net and was struck in the face by a puck, suffering a laceration. He returned the following game, and finished the series with one assist, one penalty, and one shot in four games.




But he's not out extended periods of time

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  #222
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
You're a Rangers fan, want to know who his game is identical to? McDonaugh. Look, with out bunch of #4 D's we made it to the Stanley Cup finals so something was working.

New Jersey doesn't have a defined #1 D but if we're going to put a pair out there to log big minutes it'd be Greene and Fayne.

Want to know why Gaborik had 1 point (1 flukey goal cause Marty Misplayed the puck), Brad Richards had 3 points, and Hagelin had 0? That would be the work of Andy Greene and Mark Fayne



Does Alex Hemsky throw masticating hits and dive to block shots? No I didn't think so. If Hemsky played a gritty style people wouldn't say he's made out of glass. Anton does, if you sir call Anton Volchenkov made of glass you have probably not watched him play. The dudes a warrior and minus the Florida series any guy would want him on their team.
Well his name isn't Alex. It's Ales.

Hemsky takes a beating, drives the net, and on the rush drives the corners, challenges defenders and can run a powerplay. Just youtube "regher + Hemsky" to see how "soft" he is.






He is fearless, and he got hit from behind and messed up his shoulder which took about a year to rehab, he messed up the other shoulder favoring the first one and now both are reconstructed and should be stronger than they were to begin with.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:55 AM
  #223
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united
 
Bodmanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
All I know is that I NJD D for EDM fwd seems to make sense from an asset perspective. What the actual packages are, who knows, obviously both sides have their opinions. I would love to add a Tallinder or Volchenkov and would be fine seeing a Hemsky or Pajaarvi involved. Outside of that, I have no clue, nor does anyone else in this thread.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:01 AM
  #224
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Lol as to how overrated Hemsky is its ****ing ridiculous.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:09 AM
  #225
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united
 
Bodmanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Lol as to how overrated Hemsky is its ****ing ridiculous.
That's your contribution to this thread?

And just to clarify, I am not saying Hemsky straight up for Volchenkov is fair. Just saying who could be involved.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.