2012-13 WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

vCash: 500
My 2 Dub teams played tonight.

The Oil Kings took on the Sakatoon Blades on the road. And we took it 2-1! Baddock and Lowe scored for us, Nicholls replied for them(his 30th, still leading in Dub goals). Brossoit played tonight and was solid stopping 34/35 shots. Makarov was solid for them aswell stopping 30/32 shots. Looks like we just came out with the win and it was a big win as the 2 points are much needed. The Hitmen lost tonight, finally lol. So that's great! That puts us only 1 point behind them in our Division and are in 3rd in the Conference(but have more points than Prince Albert). We play the Meddy Hat Tigers tomorrow. 3 games in 3 nights, and if we win tomorrow we will jump 1 over on Calgary as they don't play tomorrow. Let's take advantage of that schedule boys!

And then the Rebels! A great effort in the later stages by us forsure. We dug ourselves into a hole, trailing 3-1 but we showed alot of character coming back to tie it 3-3! Hadyn Fleury the young very promising rook tied it at 19:59 with 1 second left! Maxwell and Volek(his 5th goals in 10 games with us and in as many games) scored for us. Morrisey, Gardiner and McNeill replied for them in even strengh. The game went into Over-time and we lost.. Very dissapointing considering that awesome comeback but Morrisey is a great player. He scores his 2nd of the game and takes the game for the P.A. Raiders. Bartosak was solid like usual stopping 40/44 shots and Siemens was decent for them. We atleast pick up a point there and still stay in the same spot in our Division and Conference. We sit in 4th in the Eastern Conference with 53 points. 5 points ahead of 5th seeded Lethbridge(They're tied with Meddy Hat 3-3 right now in the 2nd), 6 points ahead of the Broncos(they won tonight) and the rest we have a good advantage on but a loosing streak could erase that so we have to be/stay consistent. Next game we play the very same Edmonton Oil Kings. That game is next Thursday, so we get a 5 day break after our road trip. Another game of my 2 fave dub teams and both need the points so it sucks. I hope it goes to extra time.

Still a very entertaining night of Dub Hockey!

Old
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Reid Duke with another goal and an assist so far tonight for Lethbridge, he's been on fire since he's got an increased role due to the Merkley trade. Keep an eye out for him for next years draft.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
tv14

'Canes doing their best job to blow their playoff chances. Now losing 6-3 in a huge game against Med Hat.

Manage to embarass themselves losing 10-3 to Med Hat, who with the win are all of a sudden right behind them.

Last edited by tv14: 01-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
'Canes doing their best job to blow their playoff chances. Now losing 6-3 in a huge game against Med Hat.

Manage to embarass themselves losing 10-3 to Med Hat, who with the win are all of a sudden right behind them.
Ouch. And they were winning at one point in the game.

Good for my Rebels though.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:56 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Ouch. And they were winning at one point in the game.

Good for my Rebels though.
3-2. 8 straight goals for the Tigers. Our biggest rival, and we never can beat them.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:20 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
3-2. 8 straight goals for the Tigers. Our biggest rival, and we never can beat them.
Lethbridge looked very bad against Edmonton on Friday night. Lost 4-0 and were out shot 46-23. They played well for the first ten minutes then checked out for the rest of the game.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24 View Post
I'm saying reassign a player to make room for Cheek. That doesn't mean release or outright cut and lose their rights. Two players that bring less to the table than Wilson (as of right now) are Pollock and Bertolucci. Maybe in a year or two, those players will be more valuable, but not at the current moment. Especially come playoff time.
That seems fair, but again, Im sure this isnt anything management hasnt thought of. Im thinking they want to get those guys some experience at this level before they have to jump in with both feet next year? Just one possibility. Again, I think you are over-estimating what Wilson is bringing to the table these days.

Quote:
You do realize what you are saying right there supports my point even further? The Oil Kings didn't have any issue against Moose Jaw last season. And Moose Jaw was the toughest team in the league. But the Oil Kings also had Wilson, and several other gritty players on the team they do not have right of now. So if they meet up against another physical tough team (Calgary could fit that mold) they may have some difficulties.

I'm not saying that grit is everything. But even you agree this team is less gritty. So getting rid of a guy like Wilson and not replacing him with a similar player isn't going to help that matter. I don't question the Oil Kings skill. Adding someone like Cheek is a perfect fit, IMO. At the end of the day I'm a firm believer that grit, toughness and will beats out skill more often than not when it comes to hockey. Of course there are exceptions, and it doesn't always work that way. But typically I'd put my money on the more gritty team to come out on top in a long playoff series. The Portland and Edmonton series from last year is a perfect example of that.
I dont know. These days Saskatoon seems to be the big, tough, gritty team in the WHL or at least in the EC. They dont even have a .500 record at home and are barely .500 overall.

The only team that provided any problems at all for the Oil Kings last year was Portland, and they gave them all they could handle. The Oil Kings still have Moroz, Ewanyk, Lowe, Reinhart, Gernat (hopefully soon), Musil, Baddock, Lazar, Samuelsson, who are all a fair size and/or can play tough. They really wont miss Wilson and they arent going to be intimidated by anyone.

Calgary hasnt intimidated or given the Oil Kings problems physically. They will be fine.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:51 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lethbridge looked very bad against Edmonton on Friday night. Lost 4-0 and were out shot 46-23. They played well for the first ten minutes then checked out for the rest of the game.
Not surprising. They haven't been very good lately. Between Preston doing nothing at the deadline, possibly even making the team worse and Rimmer not playing nearly as good as he was at the start of the year, the Hurricanes seem to be just an average team. Luckily the East isn't that great and that might allow them to sneak into the top 8.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:53 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Not surprising. They haven't been very good lately. Between Preston doing nothing at the deadline, possibly even making the team worse and Rimmer not playing nearly as good as he was at the start of the year, the Hurricanes seem to be just an average team. Luckily the East isn't that great and that might allow them to sneak into the top 8.
I still cant get over that trade. Bizarre. They were a pretty good team. I think they still have it in them. Some teams are starting to put together some wins though. Look out for Kootenay!

Old
01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I still cant get over that trade. Bizarre. They were a pretty good team. I think they still have it in them. Some teams are starting to put together some wins though. Look out for Kootenay!
The worst part about the trade was that it made a team were battling against better.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:55 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

The Oil Kings defeated the Medicine Hat Tigers tonight on the road. We took the game 3-0! Laurent Brossoit recorded his 2nd Shut-out of the season stopping all 28 of 28 shots. Curtis Lazar scored the Natural Hat-Trick to get us the win! With that win we move To top of our Conference and Division for the time being. Woot!

Old
01-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor
I dont know. These days Saskatoon seems to be the big, tough, gritty team in the WHL or at least in the EC. They dont even have a .500 record at home and are barely .500 overall.
The Blades only got tough at the trade deadline. Prior to that I wouldn't say they were an overly tough team. Especially with Astles out of the line up. Anyway, as I said before, I'm not saying toughness is everything. I'm not that naive. Any good team has to do a lot of things right in order to have success. Even after the trade deadline the Blades still aren't one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference. Unless something drastic changes, I don't see them being in in the ECF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor
Calgary hasnt intimidated or given the Oil Kings problems physically.
They're capable. And the Hitmen have a good record against them this season. They will be a tough opponent, IMO. Anyway, I have a feeling these will be the two final teams in East.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
The Oil Kings defeated the Medicine Hat Tigers tonight on the road. We took the game 3-0! Laurent Brossoit recorded his 2nd Shut-out of the season stopping all 28 of 28 shots. Curtis Lazar scored the Natural Hat-Trick to get us the win! With that win we move To top of our Conference and Division for the time being. Woot!
0.966 save % since being cut from Team Canada.

I wonder if being cut has really lit a fire under him.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
0.966 save % since being cut from Team Canada.

I wonder if being cut has really lit a fire under him.
Yup.

Same with Dumba. He's really picked up his game.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Royals with a 6-4 win over the Blazers, impressive.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
01-17-2013, 04:10 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Royals sweep the 2-game set against Kamloops, huge confidence booster for the whole team.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
BillP

disappointed in my team for only getting 1 point. royals seem decent this year though? or should be. i'm surprised they don't have a better record at this point, thought they would be near the top in the bc div.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
SimonKnightsman

Blades

The Mem Cup host to me has not looked legit. Watched their Friday game on tape and they looked weak. If they are Mem Cup hosts I doubt they win a single game.
At .500 they will likely slide in back door with many better W teams out there who would smoke them in a 7 game series. Wrong team looks ready to host....

Old
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Well, wooo! The clash of my 2 favorite Dub teams has come and gone. And a nice win for the Rebs over the Oil Kings to a 4-1 fashion. Elson had a goal for us and Rhysey Dieno had the Hatty to lift us past the Oil Kings. He played great tonight. No excluding Patty Bartosak though. He played like a superstar yet again. Lowe scored the lone goal for the Oil Kings. Brossy was solid but he got no goal support thus leading to a loss for his team. Now that this has come and gone and big 2 points for Red Deer and it not hurting the Oil Kings that much let's both get back to winning.

Edmonton takes on Meddy Hat tomorrow and the Rebels take on Prince George on Saturday. Let's put up the 'W' boys!

Old
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Big blow to Tri-City. He's a good goalie.

http://www.whl.ca/article/americans-...2012-13-season

Old
01-18-2013, 11:57 PM
tv14

Hurricanes win 5-4 in shootout to end the Winterhawks win streak at 14 games. Wow! What a huge win!

Reid Duke stays hot with 1 goal tonight and another in the shootout.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:30 AM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

The Oil Kings drop another one this time to the Meddy Hat Tigers. This was a 2-1 defeat. The story of the game wasn't our goaltending as Brossy played solid stopping 25/27 shots. It was the fact that for the 2nd straight game we havn't been getting any goals or goal support for that matter. Keegan Lowe, the billed Defensive Defenceman has scored our last 2 goals in our last 2 games. Langian was good for them but that shouldn't be an excuse as we have so much firepower. And the fact that Reinhart was back from the Isles camp and Marty Gernat was playing and we had are 1st full healthy roster on the ice made it even worse. Well, let's move on and hope for a better result VS. the Cougars on Sunday.

Rebels VS. Cougars tomorrow.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Royals beat the Giants 6-4, not as big as an accomplishment as it was last year, but I'm not complaining about 2 points.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:04 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Royals beat the Giants 6-4
You are giving the Giants two more goals than they earned!

Old
01-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Hurricanes win 5-4 in shootout to end the Winterhawks win streak at 14 games. Wow! What a huge win!

Reid Duke stays hot with 1 goal tonight and another in the shootout.
Portland lost in Seattle tonight.

any bets on the WinterHawks not losing 3 games in a row?

Petan had a 1-2-3 night and has exploded to lead the league in scoring yet can't find any respect in the scouting circles as all have him outside of the 1st round.

I know it's a deep draft and he is small but he isn't strictly a perimeter player.

Matt Needham from the Kamloops Blazers has had a nice couple of games.

He showed alot of promise after his 1st full season and maybe is turning the corner as well. not that he has had a bad season but I'm sure many were expecting better production from him.

Closed Thread