HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Nieto (#19 white), Danny O'Reagan (#10 white -- playing against his brother Tommy for the first time ever) and Blackwell (#63 crimson) -- all score.

About 2 minutes left.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157

Old
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Nieto (#19 white), Danny O'Reagan (#10 white -- playing against his brother Tommy for the first time ever) and Blackwell (#63 crimson) -- all score.

About 2 minutes left.
Really, really entertaining game. All 3 Sharks prospects have looked good and it's awesome that the O'Regan brothers are both having a great game w/ their family in town.

It's heading int OT right now...

Edit: Huge win for Harvard (sorry KirbyDots). Both Danny O'Regan and Nieto had 3pts and Blackwell scored the game tying goal for Harvard. Again, that was a great game to watch.

Last edited by stalockrox: 01-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:43 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Really, really entertaining game. All 3 Sharks prospects have looked good and it's awesome that the O'Regan brothers are both having a great game w/ their family in town.

It's heading int OT right now...

Edit: Huge win for Harvard (sorry KirbyDots). Both Danny O'Regan and Nieto had 3pts and Blackwell scored the game tying goal for Harvard. Again, that was a great game to watch.
On the Harvard Box Score it showed Nieto, O'Regan, and Blackwell as the 3 stars.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
On the Harvard Box Score it showed Nieto, O'Regan, and Blackwell as the 3 stars.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
KirbyDots

Back from the game, hard game as a BU fan, great game as a Sharks fan. If O'Regan could have just lifted one of his shots a little more BU would have won and he would have had a hatty. Great game for Sharks prospects, all three seemed to be skill players who also play solid defensive games. Blackwell and Nieto were taking turns stealing the puck and O'Regan had a nice little scoring duel with his brother. Three stars were all our guys.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
stalockrox

Dylan DeMelo had himself a game (both good and not so good) tonight in Mississauga's 5-4 SO loss to Barrie. He had a 4 point game (3g, 1a) and was on the ice for 7 of the 8 goals scored...

The 4 point game moves him into 4th place among d-men.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1426

Corey Pronman ranks the 50 best NHL prospects, Hertl comes in at #43. 43 puts him only one spot behind "future superstar Chris Kreider" and puts him a couple spots above Charlie Coyle. Hertl was ranked #84 in the summer. This ranking puts him twelfth among 2012 draftees.

Glad to see it's not just my Sharks' bias who sees big upside in this kid.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
wishman

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1426

Corey Pronman ranks the 50 best NHL prospects, Hertl comes in at #43. 43 puts him only one spot behind "future superstar Chris Kreider" and puts him a couple spots above Charlie Coyle. Hertl was ranked #84 in the summer. This ranking puts him twelfth among 2012 draftees.

Glad to see it's not just my Sharks' bias who sees big upside in this kid.
Of course he has Teuvo Teravainen at #16 so still gives some ammunition to complain about our draft.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Of course he has Teuvo Teravainen at #16 so still gives some ammunition to complain about our draft.
We wouldn't be Sharks fans if we didn't have anything to complain about.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:24 AM
joey16

I think you have nothing to complain about.
I watched Hertl in todays game. He was a beast in the offensive zone. If he and especially his teammates were more productive, he could have like 4 points out of that game pretty easilly. He showed some great passes and also great game along the boards. Was named the best player of his team.
And if you ask me, I'd say Hertl is much safer pick than Teräväinen although TT might have little bit higher scoring upside.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
I watched Hertl in todays game. He was a beast in the offensive zone. If he and especially his teammates were more productive, he could have like 4 points out of that game pretty easilly. He showed some great passes and also great game along the boards. Was named the best player of his team.
And if you ask me, I'd say Hertl is much safer pick than Teräväinen although TT might have little bit higher scoring upside.
The bolded part is absolutely true, though I definitely think Teravainen has higher scoring upside...but that's how the Sharks draft. If they see close value in two players they will a) always take the center and b) take the safer player.

As much as the fans complain about the Sharks drafting, they've developed a LOT of players who make it to the NHL.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
KirbyDots

Nieto with another goal in BU's win over Merrimack last Friday. O'Regan with the assist. Nieto has really started to heat up, he and O'Regan are a good duo.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
Thanks a ton, I always love to hear from the Czech members on HF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Nieto with another goal in BU's win over Merrimack last Friday. O'Regan with the assist. Nieto has really started to heat up, he and O'Regan are a good duo.
I've been following his stats closely and it seems like he's getting quite unlucky in terms of shooting percentage. I predict that he'll start putting up a lot of points very soon. Despite only being 4th in points on BU, he's leading them significantly in shot totals.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:03 AM
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Thanks a ton, I always love to hear from the Czech members on HF.
No problem
I will try to give you an info again next time I see him.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Hamilton, Kuraly, Tierney

Curious about these 3 prospects. Seems that they are very similar in size and description. Physical attributes, abilities etc. Suppose they all pan out and make the Sharks in the future, will they be competing for the same role on the team or is there enough skill between them that they could take on different roles? I like all three and l hope that they all make it.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:43 AM
stalockrox

All three players can skate, play two way hockey, take face offs, above average hockey sense, etc. but they're on paths to be different players / play different roles should they make the NHL.

Kuraly is a good defensive player and PKer, he has a 'power' game and if he can develop his offensive game he could be a good two way NHL center, but there's no guarantee that's going to happen.

Hamilton's biggest value comes from his defensive game. He could turn into a very good shut down center & PKer with some scoring pop but he still need to 'bulk up' a little bit - a good 3rd line center (if he was a year or two further along in his development he is exactly what the Sharks need right now). He is also capable of playing all three forward positions and I fully expect him to be regular NHLer.

Tierney is also a fantastic defensive player but he has some good, untapped offensive upside. I would imagine once the Sharks get their hands on him he'll be moved to wing but he's being used as a shutdown center by the Knights and is excelling at it while still putting up a good amount of points. During the rest of this season and next, his offensive game is going to start to show and I think he has a pretty good shot at the NHL.

As far as chances of making the NHL, I'd rank them Hamilton, Tierney, Kuraly.
As far as pure upside (right now) I'd rank them Tierney, Kuraly, Hamilton.

I am not a scout...my opinions on these three just come from watching them play as often as I can - Tierney this season and a few games last season, Hamilton & Kuraly for the past 2 years.

Last edited by stalockrox: 01-15-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
All three players can skate, play two way hockey, take face offs, above average hockey sense, etc. but they're on paths to be different players / play different roles should they make the NHL.

Kuraly is a good defensive player and PKer, he has a 'power' game and if he can develop his offensive game he could be a good two way NHL center, but there's no guarantee that's going to happen.

Hamilton's biggest value comes from his defensive game. He could turn into a very good shut down center & PKer with some scoring pop but he still need to 'bulk up' a little bit - a good 3rd line center (if he was a year or two further along in his development he is exactly what the Sharks need right now). He is also capable of playing all three forward positions and I fully expect him to be regular NHLer.

Tierney is also a fantastic defensive player but he has some good, untapped offensive upside. I would imagine once the Sharks get their hands on him he'll be moved to wing but he's being used as a shutdown center by the Knights and is excelling at it while still putting up a good amount of points. During the rest of this season and next, his offensive game is going to start to show and I think he has a pretty good shot at the NHL.

As far as chances of making the NHL, I'd rank them Hamilton, Tierney, Kuraly.
As far as pure upside (right now) I'd rank them Tierney, Kuraly, Hamilton.

I am not a scout...my opinions on these three just come from watching them play as often as I can - Tierney this season and a few games last season, Hamilton & Kuraly for the past 2 years.
thanks for info. I've only seen Hamilton & Kuraly at the WJC on TV Neither seemed as if they didn't belong or out of place at that venue

Old
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

I've only seen two Knights games, but it's easy to tell why the Sharks picked Tierney. He's the prototypical Sharks pick: great skater, good size and strength, smart, great defensively, and a notable amount of offensive upside. His not-so-great stats shock me because between the two times I saw him play he hit the post or was totally robbed or linemates didn't finish about 10 times. Really talented playmaker.

I have little doubt that Freddie will make the NHL in a third line capacity. He's done pretty well with what has been asked of him in the AHL, and his skillset is very translatable.

I don't know if Kuraly's ever an NHLer. Just a gut feeling.

All of these kids have third line C tools, and Tierney has a little more upside than that.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Blackwell (Harvard) on NBCSN today (vs Yale).

Wears #63 (crimson).

Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
stalockrox

With 2g and 1a tonight vs. Quebec (there's still about 5min left):

@HerdHistory
Konrad Abeltshauser is now the all-time points leader among Mooseheads D. Just recorded his 131st career reg. season pt, passing J. Gelinas

Old
01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Be honest guys, is he just mooching points off of Mackinnon & Drouin?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

Nieto and O'Reagan with another great game. O'Reagan: 1g 2a; Nieto: 1g 1a.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Again - his point totals are inflated due to MacKinnon and Drouin but he's a big part of not just Halifax's offense but their overall success. He would still be putting up points without them, though not as many. He's their #1 d-man and he plays like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Nieto and O'Reagan with another great game. O'Reagan: 1g 2a; Nieto: 1g 1a.
Ferriero looked pretty good in that game for Northeastern, who won 6-5.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Early on in the season I'd say he was, but since he's been back (on my phone right now so I can't check in detail) but I'd think most of his points (at least in recent memory) have come without the big 2 even on the ice.

He's not an elite level prospect, but he's got the skillset, and physical build to be an NHL player if he continues to work hard. I'm a fan of his.

Closed Thread