HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Malone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  #1
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Ryan Malone

With Vancouver needing some forward depth especially in the top 6 and second unit PP what would TBL fans find as a reasonable return? He has a 12 team NTC as his NMC is done.

Picks?
Prospects?
Need to dump salary?

What are your organizational needs?

Seatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  #2
IdealisticSniper
Registered User
 
IdealisticSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
He's one of those guys worth more to TB than he would be in a trade.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
  #3
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
The reason I ask is because at the draft TBL were dangling him as trade bait and apparently are again (on the fourth period)

Seatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
  #4
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,205
vCash: 500
I know this is a thread about Vancouver wanting him, but the Pens do have a hole in the top 6, and when Kunitz was on a line with Malkin and Neal, they were awesome. Pens want to put Kunitz back on Crosby's line, and Malone was on Malkin's LW in 2007-08 with Petr Sykora on RW.

I know there has been thread after thread about "Malone to Penguins". I'm not asking, I'm not going to post a trade offer, all I will say is that the Penguins might be interested if The Fourth period is correct about him being on the block.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:05 PM
  #5
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,087
vCash: 500
Ok here's the question: IF they do want to move him, what would Tampa be looking for in return? Picks? Roster player?

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
  #6
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Tampa would mostly want decent picks(2nds, 3rds, a really late 1st if you're generous) and/or D prospects who would most likely top out on the second pairing.

Also, Malone's caphit is higher than his salary right now. That combined with being a big body in the top-6 who can get the job done when needed and the fact he loves the Tampa Bay area is would need to be a pretty good deal.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
  #7
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,281
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
The reason I ask is because at the draft TBL were dangling him as trade bait and apparently are again (on the fourth period)
We did? Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
With Vancouver needing some forward depth especially in the top 6 and second unit PP what would TBL fans find as a reasonable return? He has a 12 team NTC as his NMC is done.

Picks?
Prospects?
Need to dump salary?

What are your organizational needs?
According to CG he still has a full NMC, his 12 team NTC kicks in in 2013-14: http://www.capgeek.com/player/886

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:47 PM
  #8
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
We did? Source?


According to CG he still has a full NMC, his 12 team NTC kicks in in 2013-14: http://www.capgeek.com/player/886
It was either thefourthperiod.com or HockryBuzz I was just going off of what they had in their article.

So a 2nd and a good D prospect? Or a late first straight up?


Last edited by Seatoo: 01-12-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: For Clarity
Seatoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
  #9
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Ok here's the question: IF they do want to move him, what would Tampa be looking for in return? Picks? Roster player?
I would think a good Dman.

Maybe Edler if Tampa thought they could resign him. Throw in a pick or player either way to even things out.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:48 PM
  #10
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
I think he was never on the trading block, I think it's all wild speculations because every team wants a guy like him in their playoff run badly and I think he could be worth a lot more on the trade deadline then a late first. We got a first for Downie ( yeah trough a 3team-trade) but it was still a first and Gaustad was costing a first rounder as well and Malone is way better then both. He won't be dealt before trade deadline anyways and then I expect a price like a first and a decent d-prospect ( AHLer with top6 potential)

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  #11
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
I think a lot of teams would love Malone, his contract is not as long as it once was, and that big bodied top six forward is very rare. If the price is only a 2nd and a good defense prospect, I'd offer that up from Edmonton. 2nd and David Musil, plus something else as incentive if you like. Unless you want someone closer to NHL ready, in which case we have Taylor Fedun, who I'd prefer to keep but would move for Malone.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  #12
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I think a lot of teams would love Malone, his contract is not as long as it once was, and that big bodied top six forward is very rare. If the price is only a 2nd and a good defense prospect, I'd offer that up from Edmonton. 2nd and David Musil, plus something else as incentive if you like. Unless you want someone closer to NHL ready, in which case we have Taylor Fedun, who I'd prefer to keep but would move for Malone.
This is assuming he'd waive his NTC to go to the Oilers of course, which we don't know and can probably assume wouldn't happen, ha ha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
  #13
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I think he was never on the trading block, I think it's all wild speculations because every team wants a guy like him in their playoff run badly and I think he could be worth a lot more on the trade deadline then a late first. We got a first for Downie ( yeah trough a 3team-trade) but it was still a first and Gaustad was costing a first rounder as well and Malone is way better then both. He won't be dealt before trade deadline anyways and then I expect a price like a first and a decent d-prospect ( AHLer with top6 potential)
Nah, it makes sense for them to shop him. Check out Tampa's salary distribution--too many forwards with big numbers next to their names (and one of them is making about twice what he probably should). $27 million going to 4 guys next year.

If one were to want to balance that out and free up money to spend elsewhere in the lineup (or just not spend at all), the "money" guy who disrupts the team least if you move him is Malone.

Granted, changing the salary distribution is a long-term need for the lightning, not an imminent one, so it's not like they'll move the guy for less than what they perceive as fair value. I doubt they move him at all if they don't get what they want.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:37 AM
  #14
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod
 
stryfe604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Nah, it makes sense for them to shop him. Check out Tampa's salary distribution--too many forwards with big numbers next to their names (and one of them is making about twice what he probably should). $27 million going to 4 guys next year.

If one were to want to balance that out and free up money to spend elsewhere in the lineup (or just not spend at all), the "money" guy who disrupts the team least if you move him is Malone.

Granted, changing the salary distribution is a long-term need for the lightning, not an imminent one, so it's not like they'll move the guy for less than what they perceive as fair value. I doubt they move him at all if they don't get what they want.
More like 25 million haha. And it is to say Malone's cap hit (4.5M) is higher than his actual pay (this year 3 mill, next 2 years 2.5). I see where you are going with this though. When it comes down to it, although happy with Vinny, he is over paid by about 2.5M. Thus out of our top 6 making Malone the most expendable.

I doubt he gets moved during the season. Depending where we stand at the deadline. He is a NMC right now, next season a NTC. Perhaps waiting until the draft to move him would be good.

And people saying he is not worth a 1st round pick are delusional. He has hit 20 goals every season except I think 2 (not sure if its 1 or 2). He digs, plays the body, and plays great in front of the net. Any team would love to have him. As others have said, If Gaustad and Downie (indirectly) can bring in first round picks, Malone should be able to bring a low first + decent prospect or 15-20 pick.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:42 AM
  #15
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
More like 25 million haha. And it is to say Malone's cap hit (4.5M) is higher than his actual pay (this year 3 mill, next 2 years 2.5). I see where you are going with this though. When it comes down to it, although happy with Vinny, he is over paid by about 2.5M. Thus out of our top 6 making Malone the most expendable.

I doubt he gets moved during the season. Depending where we stand at the deadline. He is a NMC right now, next season a NTC. Perhaps waiting until the draft to move him would be good.

And people saying he is not worth a 1st round pick are delusional. He has hit 20 goals every season except I think 2 (not sure if its 1 or 2). He digs, plays the body, and plays great in front of the net. Any team would love to have him. As others have said, If Gaustad and Downie (indirectly) can bring in first round picks, Malone should be able to bring a low first + decent prospect or 15-20 pick.
$25 million's the collective cap hits. The dollar commitment is $27 million to those 4, minus whatever's returned via escrow.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:24 AM
  #16
Fizzz
Registered User
 
Fizzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Here's the thing,

Tampa needs a guy to play left wing with Lecavalier if they let go of Malone....

I do not see anyone, in their roster, capable of replacing him right now.

I know this would seem as a depth chart dump to some but i think this can be a Win-Win if everything pans out !

Bourque, Y.Weber and a 2013 2nd

for

Malone

Tampa gets a good D prospect who played in the Boucher system before, a LW for Vinny and a second rounder in a pretty deep draft.

The habs get size, grit and some offense..

The second rouder might seem harsh but you got to factor in the same conference factor...

win-win

Fizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:28 AM
  #17
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzz View Post
Here's the thing,

Tampa needs a guy to play left wing with Lecavalier if they let go of Malone....

I do not see anyone, in their roster, capable of replacing him right now.

I know this would seem as a depth chart dump to some but i think this can be a Win-Win if everything pans out !

Bourque, Y.Weber and a 2013 2nd

for

Malone

Tampa gets a good D prospect who played in the Boucher system before, a LW for Vinny and a second rounder in a pretty deep draft.

The habs get size, grit and some offense..

The second rouder might seem harsh but you got to factor in the same conference factor...

win-win
Well if you could garantuee that Bourque gets back to his 50 points I would do this, otherwise... no. He should play on a 0.5 ppg rate to think about this trade on draft day.

But to be honest I don't think Malone would want to go to the Canadians, he doesn't get younger and might want to have a big chance to win the Cup to allow a trade. And right now I would say Montreal is a few more years away of being a contender then Tampa

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:36 AM
  #18
UnknownAvenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Can he play the cycle? If so he'd fit great with Getz/Perry line.

His cap hit being higher than his salary would be attractive to a budget team like Anaheim.

For Malone, the chance to play on the top line with those guys (plus if he's used to Tampa weather/lifestyle, California is the west coast version in a sense) could be enough to allow the move.

Not sure what TB would want though, if it's futures/D prospects then the Ducks have quite a bit to offer. If it's bottom-6ers they have a few extra of those too.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:56 AM
  #19
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownAvenger View Post
Can he play the cycle? If so he'd fit great with Getz/Perry line.

His cap hit being higher than his salary would be attractive to a budget team like Anaheim.

For Malone, the chance to play on the top line with those guys (plus if he's used to Tampa weather/lifestyle, California is the west coast version in a sense) could be enough to allow the move.

Not sure what TB would want though, if it's futures/D prospects then the Ducks have quite a bit to offer. If it's bottom-6ers they have a few extra of those too.
What about Devante Smith-Pelly plus a second rounder?

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:26 AM
  #20
Alivesi
Registered User
 
Alivesi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 973
vCash: 133
I wouldn't mind losing Malone to make room for one of the kids in the ahl pushing to get in from the ahl.

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:58 AM
  #21
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Malone already vetoed a trade to LA so im pretty sure all west coast teams are out. I could only see him going to the Pens or Rangers.
The Pitt deal I can see something like Despres.
The Rags I can see something around MDZ.
I really don't see us moving him as he's a player we don't have anyone to replace him with, he's well liked and on a decent salary, maybe next year his caphit might be a problem.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  #22
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Malone already vetoed a trade to LA so im pretty sure all west coast teams are out. I could only see him going to the Pens or Rangers.
The Pitt deal I can see something like Despres.
The Rags I can see something around MDZ.
I really don't see us moving him as he's a player we don't have anyone to replace him with, he's well liked and on a decent salary, maybe next year his caphit might be a problem.
I would do the MDZ one in a heartbeat and even throw one of Bergeron/ Mikkelson/ maybe even Lee in

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  #23
Fizzz
Registered User
 
Fizzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Well if you could garantuee that Bourque gets back to his 50 points I would do this, otherwise... no. He should play on a 0.5 ppg rate to think about this trade on draft day.

But to be honest I don't think Malone would want to go to the Canadians, he doesn't get younger and might want to have a big chance to win the Cup to allow a trade. And right now I would say Montreal is a few more years away of being a contender then Tampa
Point taken, MTL would not be his prime destination !

Listen i know Bourque for Malone straight up is not a good trade...

Did you even read the rest of my proposal??

I mean Weber + a 2013 2nd must be enough to overcome the fact that Bourque will score a dozen less pts then Malone... I mean we are not talking about a Stamkos here !...

The production Bourque + Weber would have this season as Lightnings would be greater then the prodution Malone gives the Habs for sure! The secound rounder in a deep draft could turn out as a heck of a bonus too...

WIN-WIN

Fizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  #24
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
I would think a good Dman.

Maybe Edler if Tampa thought they could resign him. Throw in a pick or player either way to even things out.
Edler has way more value than Malone IMO

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
  #25
UnknownAvenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
What about Devante Smith-Pelly plus a second rounder?
I was thinking about DSP when I first replied here, seeing as his time this year in Norfolk was underwhelming (you'd think he'd do much better after being in the NHL last year).

I wouldn't want to add a 2nd though, since DSP does still have the potential to be a younger, cheaper 20G guy who is physical.

Straight up though, I think I'd say yes even though I like DSP.

UnknownAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.