HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I could see Oleksiak turning into another Oystrick. Do I think it'll happen? No.

Jamie to me will be a fantastic #2 option. Then Nemeth will receive a gift from the hockey gods and become the greatest defenseman of all time.

That's sarcasm for those who feel like busting balls.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I agree Jamie will be better to start but I don't think he has the mean streak Chara does or the upside. Chara is a near certain hall of famer and Olesiak hasn't proven anything at any level that he has that kind of upside.

Look, Jamie doesn't have to be a HOF player to be more than good enough to play as a top pairing d-man. Quite frankly I haven't heard a lot of noise lately about Jones being a dead certain lock to be that either. I have however heard that any of Barkov, McKinnon, or say Monahan are pretty certain sure fire first liners. Dynamic offensive players are no where to be found in this system. Chiasson could be a really good winger, as may R. Smith and Guptill. None of them have the pedigree of those three. Take the dynamic talent when you get the opportunity.
As much as I'd love to have a number 1 dman in the system theres nothing wrong with instead having several guys who are 2/3 types. I too would love to have a dynamic offensive forward with elite skills. I know alot of people might say that we already have that guy in Benn, but I see him as more of a hovering around (probably just under) a point per game type rather than an elite gamebreaker.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
txomisc

Also from tonights game I thought Monahan was pretty good. He seems like a better version of Faksa.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
As much as I'd love to have a number 1 dman in the system theres nothing wrong with instead having several guys who are 2/3 types. I too would love to have a dynamic offensive forward with elite skills. I know alot of people might say that we already have that guy in Benn, but I see him as more of a hovering around (probably just under) a point per game type rather than an elite gamebreaker.

I agree with you assessment of the d-sitch. If you have a solid group of talented 2/3 types, someone is likely to emerge as a champ amongst the group in time(we hope).

When it comes to Benn however, it's my opinion that his physical presence is an elite game breaking skill in and of itself, that off the top of my head I can't think of too many other first line centers possessing. When you add it to a just under PPG offensive ability, it's extremely unique and lethal IMO... Something valuable we get to watch management build around in the coming years. We see some quality first line power forward wingers, but since Lindros, not many elite all-star calibre PF centres that I can recall.

And for what it's worth, and I generally take some flack for it amongst my local brethren, but I feel like MacKinnon's game is a lot like Benn's having closely watched the 2. Mackinnon, like Benn, is seemingly forever in question about whether he should be playing centre or wing and personally I feel it's a lot to do with the imposing characteristics of their respective games.

This is in no way to call you out Txo, it's my opinion of Benn besides the stats. What is impressive to me stats-wise however, is the fact Benn has more points in his first 3 seasons than Datsyuk (similar late round gem), and really his first season and a half were quite reserved roles and he's yet to book his spot for full time duty on the PP.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I don't really want to start a new thread for this, and this thread is probably good enough ...

I think I posted some stuff about soon-to-be 22 year old giant defenseman Andrej Sustr (6'8" and 225 lbs). He's from the Czech Republic, played a year of NAHL, year of USHL, and he's a junior at Nebraska-Omaha in the WCHA.

Most people expected him to return to school for his junior yeerar rath than sign with a NHL team. However, next spring he could end up going pro and skipping his senior year.

He improved from 2 goals and 9 points as a freshman to 4 goals and 17 points as a sophomore. 9 games in this year he has 2 goals and 5 assists.

The reviews I've seen for him say he doesn't have a Chara-like mean streak. He's plays excellent defense because of smart decisions and a mammoth reach, and he's does have a big shot (does take a while to get it off though). He seems to be more of a Hal Gill mold of giant defenders than a Chara or Myers.

It's hard to imagine Dallas landing a top tier undrafted NCAA defender when you consider their prospect depth. I'm sure he'd look for a clearer path to the NHL rather than putting himself in the very crowded mix in Dallas.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:05 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't really want to start a new thread for this, and this thread is probably good enough ...

I think I posted some stuff about soon-to-be 22 year old giant defenseman Andrej Sustr (6'8" and 225 lbs). He's from the Czech Republic, played a year of NAHL, year of USHL, and he's a junior at Nebraska-Omaha in the WCHA.

Most people expected him to return to school for his junior yeerar rath than sign with a NHL team. However, next spring he could end up going pro and skipping his senior year.

He improved from 2 goals and 9 points as a freshman to 4 goals and 17 points as a sophomore. 9 games in this year he has 2 goals and 5 assists.

The reviews I've seen for him say he doesn't have a Chara-like mean streak. He's plays excellent defense because of smart decisions and a mammoth reach, and he's does have a big shot (does take a while to get it off though). He seems to be more of a Hal Gill mold of giant defenders than a Chara or Myers.

It's hard to imagine Dallas landing a top tier undrafted NCAA defender when you consider their prospect depth. I'm sure he'd look for a clearer path to the NHL rather than putting himself in the very crowded mix in Dallas.
Sign him. Draft Zadarov.

Find a way to trade for Myers.

Myers (6'8")
Oleksiak (6'7")
Nemeth (6'5")
Dillon (6'4")
Sustr (6'8")
Zadarov (6'5")

Could you even imagine that? Holy **** that's a huge defense.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:24 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The more I read on him, the more I like him. Drouin (as a winger) would be absolutely amazing to watch with a sniper like Benn on his line. And even though he's pretty terrible defensively, having two guys like Benn and Eriksson on his line should more than make up for that.

And his creativity and stick skills... just whoa...

Old
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

Ryan Kujawinski of the Kingston Frontenacs would also be a great choice for a Center. He looks like he has a tonne of potential and could be a steal for what ever team selects him.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
BigG44

It's hard to not be impressed by the Q prospects at the top of the draft this year, but I still think Barkov is the guy who would best fit Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb
Barkov is more of a complete package. It's more or less impossible to say who is better (compared to Elias Lindholm)."

Barkov was named the best player at the Under-20 Four Nations Tournament in Sundsvall, Sweden, in November for silver medal-winning Finland. He had three assists in three games, finished with a plus-2 rating and won 59 percent of his faceoffs. He was on the ice for eight of his country's nine goals in the tournament.

"He's big, strong, and a hard worker in all areas of the ice," Stubb told NHL.com. "He's a sniper who can also set up scoring chances for teammates. He's a two-way center with a good understanding of his defensive duties, stickhandles well in tight situations, and always seems to come out as a winner. He'll probably go among the top three at the draft."
Barkov is playing over 19 minutes a game in the SM-Liiga, and he's scored 24 points (12G-12A) in 23 games.

I can't wait to see him in Russia at the WJC.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:51 AM
txomisc

Quote:
It's hard to not be impressed by the Q prospects at the top of the draft this year, but I still think Barkov is the guy who would best fit Dallas.

Barkov is playing over 19 minutes a game in the SM-Liiga, and he's scored 24 points (12G-12A) in 23 games.

Barkov would be an amazing prospect for Dallas. Great all around player who is also one of the youngest players in this years draft. I'm expecting to see a very good WJC performance out of him as well.

Oh yeah Lindholm would be a great pick up as well. I guess if theres any consolation to the possible lack of a season its that dallas is practically guaranteed a top 10 pick and the top 10 in this draft looks to be full of front line players.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I'm interested to see what Valeri Nichushkin looks like in the WJC. I know Russians don't usually rank high on Stars prospect lists, however he's getting strong reviews along the lines of Malkin (of course), but a 6'4 frame and 200lbs crafty, mobile center is nothing to sneeze at.

In reading some of the prospect listings, I'm surprised Drouin is listed at 185. In direct comparison to MacKinnon who is 182, MacKinnon plays like he's about 20lbs heavier and even from the stands looks quite a bit bigger than Drouin. That said, if Drouin can learn to use his size effectively in combination with his awesome offensive awareness, I'd love to have him running the powerplay in the future.

Old
11-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Dallasman

Quote:

Watched him last year when the WJC were in Edmonton. You could see the talent in the kid. Just unreal...and big for a 16 year old(at that time he was 16).

Old
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Mooseheads are playing Chicoutimi tonight. After 1, 2 - 0, MacKinnon and Frk with 1g 1a, Drouin 1a.

Frk has been playing down the lineup most of the season, only recently have they been experimenting with the Drouin MacKinnon Frk line and it seems to be heating up.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
Ryan Kujawinski of the Kingston Frontenacs would also be a great choice for a Center. He looks like he has a tonne of potential and could be a steal for what ever team selects him.
While I like Kujawinski as a player, I'm not really sold on him yet in terms of his offensive game. I could see him being a bit of a tweener at the next level. It really depends on where Dallas is picking.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
BigG44

Ross Maclean had some comments recently on the Pipeline Show about two guys in the gold medal game tomorrow.

Quote:
Jacob de la Rose: Great size ... protects the puck extremely well ...very similar in mold to what we liked about Forsberg last year ... he's got that frame ... very good with the puck ... great release on his shot ... can protect it to the outside extremely well ... very good possession player ... give him room to make a play and he makes you pay ... intelligent player .... needs to show he can play with speed .... under the radar

Ryan Hartman: Works really hard .... always in the right place at the right time .... well rounded skill set; does a bit of everything ... very good explosive first steps
Every other article I've read about de la Rose talks about his impressive two-way ability and mature game. He also is described as a physical player and excellent forechecker in every other article. He captained the Swede's at the Ivan Hlinka this season after playing in the U-18 in the spring in his 16 year old season (turned 17 either during or just after the U-18).

Surprisingly, those articles question his offensive ability. Seems strange IMO considering he's playing in Sweden's 2nd tier men's league. Very few 17 year old players are tearing up an adult league even if it is the 2nd tier. Filip Forsberg (top pick in last year's draft) only scored 8 goals last year in the same league, and de la Rose has 4 goals so far. Furthermore, he is scoring in international tournaments where you'd expect him to succeed.

Jacob de la Rose has been ranked anywhere from mid 1st round to 2nd round in the polls I've seen. He could be a guy to watch because he hits quite a few of the key things Dallas has targeted since 2009: size, skating, leadership, compete level.

You probably won't see him play much since he's a depth player on a deep team, but he's an interesting draft eligible guy in tomorrow's game.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The more I read on him, the more I like him. Drouin (as a winger) would be absolutely amazing to watch with a sniper like Benn on his line. And even though he's pretty terrible defensively, having two guys like Benn and Eriksson on his line should more than make up for that.

And his creativity and stick skills... just whoa...
I'm a fan of Drouin. I'd be more than happy with him. Not sure I'd take him at say number one if we had it (though maybe), but at number two I'd seriously consider it. I know that goes a little against the rankings right now, but I think he's that good.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Renaud Lavoie (RDS) says the draft will be on June 30th and all seven rounds will be on that day.
The last time all seven rounds were on the same day was back in 2006.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Renaud Lavoie (RDS) says the draft will be on June 30th and all seven rounds will be on that day.
The last time all seven rounds were on the same day was back in 2006.

In for a long long day then.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-13-2013, 07:08 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

In for a long long day then.
Shouldn't be too bad though you think? I know the first round could be 2 or 3 hours, right? Or has it gone longer than that in the past?

The rest of the draft flies buy. It seems to take pretty much the same time as the entire 1st round.

Hmmm, maybe they'll have an intermission between 1st and 2nd. Regardless, I'll have to be on my A game to hunt down scouting reports ...

Old
01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

I'm going to guess we draft at least 4 Dmen this year.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
I'm going to guess we draft at least 4 Dmen this year.
What makes you say that?

I think they're at a point they don't have too many obvious weaknesses. Center would still be the thinnest IMO.

On D though, You can pretty much count on Vance and Jokipakka joining Texas. Klingberg is a possibility as well, but he mentioned he would consider staying in Sweden an additional season. Then you have Bystrom likely coming in 2014-15.

They need to focus on the best player available rather than a certain position.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Let's say we draft ~16th-20th (being optimistic). Hagg is a guy we could use that I'd love to see on this team. Zadarov as well, but he should go higher.

Not really sure what we need to be honest. Have good wing depth, centers seem to be fine now, could use another offensive D-man but it's not a need, and we're set at goaltending and defensive defenders. BPA again obviously in the 1st round, but I just don't know who to look at in the later rounds.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Mid-season prospect rankings released.
NA rankings
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85643

Europe Rankings
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=85616

Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
BigG44

Woodlief's Red Line Report in USA Today

Quote:
No.PlayerPos.Ht., Wt.ShootsDate of birthTeam
1Seth JonesD6-3, 208RightOct. 3, 1994Portland
2Jonathan DrouinLW5-11, 185LeftMarch 27, 1995Halifax
3Nathan MacKinnonC6-0, 182RightSept. 1, 1995Halifax
4Aleksander BarkovC6-2, 207LeftSept. 2, 1995Tappara
5Sean MonahanC6-2, 193LeftOct. 12, 1994Ottawa
6Elias LindholmC6-0, 181RightDec. 2, 1994Brynas
7Darnell NurseD6-4, 194LeftFeb. 4, 1995Sault Ste. Marie
8Rasmus RistolainenD6-3, 196RightOct. 27, 1994TPS Turku
9Hunter ShinkarukLW5-11, 181LeftOct. 13, 1994Medicine Hat
10Adam ErneRW6-1, 206LeftApril 20, 1995Quebec

Rising

Jackson Houck: Both our WHL scouts have fallen in love with his take-no-prisoners style and evolving offensive game.

Marko Dano: Not seen often by North American scouts, so he might have helped himself more than anyone at the World Junior Championships with his strong offensive performance.

Darnell Nurse: Huge, highly mobile, and increasingly nasty.

Philippe Desrosiers: In a deep class for Quebec goalies, he's starting to separate from the pack. Could backstop deep playoff run for strong club.

Samuel Morin: This guy has the wingspan of a condor. Even more impressive was his willingness to carry the puck and jump up on the rush at the Top Prospects Game. If he begins to show an offensive upside, the sky's the limit.

Falling

Robert Hagg: Still has the mobility and finesse offensive game, but where's the progress on the back end?

Alex Forsberg: All the talent in the world doesn't overcome lethargic play, poor body language, and a bad attitude.

Will Butcher: Hard for us to say this about a personal favorite, but we've been disappointed. Not sure what role he will play at the NHL level.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

That's the most conservative Red Line Report I've ever seen.

Closed Thread