HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hitchcock on DNL

Old
06-15-2006, 05:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Hitchcock on DNL

The basics:

-comments by Snider a few weeks ago, doesn't mean the team has undergone a change in philosophy, if anything it's continuing what we've been doing

-Marty Murray: 'a good add' the new NHL benefits him

-thinks Stefan Ruzicka 'obviously' will be an impact player (and went out of his way to make sure we knew that)

-thinks Kim Johnsson still has health decisions to make

-thinks Desjardins could retire, doesn't know if he will be back

-we can throw out the one-goalie system. Both teams have used 2 goalies in the playoffs (didn't mention the Ducks, but the Oilers have actually used 3). But he has to make sure he explains to both goalies all of his decisions. He says Niittymaki needs to be given the opportunity to mature

-the biggest mistake he made this season is how he handled the captaincy and leadership group. He says when Primeau went out, he should have ended the leadership group, and re-built it and started it from scratch

Cup finals talk - didn't make a prediction but said the Oilers play very confident on the road and if the Canes are going to win the series "they must win game 6." When the Oilers play at home, they play with nervous energy because of how amped the fans are. Essentially saying that if the Oilers win game 6 they will win game 7

Last edited by GKJ: 06-15-2006 at 05:51 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Why would he mention Scurko?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Why would he mention Scurko?

No idea. They were talking about free agent and all of a sudden he was like "and we have Scurko who will obviously be an impact player in the future" I was like ... uh yeah..

Old
06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
dag54

He was talking about Ruzicka being a impact player, not Scurko. He also said that both Ruzicka and Eager will most likely take Brashears' and Savages' places in the lineup.

dag54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag54
It was Ruzicka, and not Scurko he was talking about, in terms of being an impact player. He also said that both Ruzicka and Eager will most likely take Brashears' and Savages' places in the lineup.

Oops. Wrong Slovak.

He still went out of his way to say it. My mind must still be stuck on June 1

Old
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
BringBackStevens

so is ruzicka a virtual lock to make the team?

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

My money is on him playing LW with Radio.

Old
06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
califlyersfan

what is dnl and is there a link? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
The basics:

-comments by Snider a few weeks ago, doesn't mean the team has undergone a change in philosophy, if anything it's continuing what we've been doing

-Marty Murray: 'a good add' the new NHL benefits him

-thinks Stefan Ruzicka 'obviously' will be an impact player (and went out of his way to make sure we knew that)

-thinks Kim Johnsson still has health decisions to make

-thinks Desjardins could retire, doesn't know if he will be back

-we can throw out the one-goalie system. Both teams have used 2 goalies in the playoffs (didn't mention the Ducks, but the Oilers have actually used 3). But he has to make sure he explains to both goalies all of his decisions. He says Niittymaki needs to be given the opportunity to mature

-the biggest mistake he made this season is how he handled the captaincy and leadership group. He says when Primeau went out, he should have ended the leadership group, and re-built it and started it from scratch

Cup finals talk - didn't make a prediction but said the Oilers play very confident on the road and if the Canes are going to win the series "they must win game 6." When the Oilers play at home, they play with nervous energy because of how amped the fans are. Essentially saying that if the Oilers win game 6 they will win game 7

califlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 09:47 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlyersfan
what is dnl and is there a link? thanks
daily news live TV show, so no there isn't a link

Old
06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He was talking about Ruzicka being a impact player, not Scurko. He also said that both Ruzicka and Eager will most likely take Brashears' and Savages' places in the lineup.
You know something, I'm almost wondering whether or not the Flyers are going to be moving some veteran players and get more youth into the lineup. If you look at things, at forward positions, we have Gagne, Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Ruzicka, and possibly Downie all making the roster. That's 6 positions in total in which players with two years or less in experience are playing critical roles. When you think of it, does it send a subtle message to the coach that we're going to be getting younger year after year and he's going to have to adapt to all the youngsters?

I guess Ed's plan of incorporating more youth, keeping draft picks, and moving older veteran players is really coming through eh. I'm also wondering whether this year's first round pick will also have a chance at cracking the lineup. I know I wouldn't mind if Mark Mitera, Chris Summers, or Brian Strait all have a chance at chasing a spot on the D. I'm actually hoping we draft Summers because after reading the scouting report on him, he's a born Flyer. He's a great skater, with great hockey sense, has a good shot and makes a great, crisp outlet pass and most importantly, he has a mean streak and he can hit like a freight train. He might be a little thin, but so is Keith Ballard in Phoenix and he was alright.

Anyways, looks like this team is really going to be young this upcoming season and it could really make for interesting to see how Hitchcock will handle all the youth at key positions.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 12:47 PM
dag54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
You know something, I'm almost wondering whether or not the Flyers are going to be moving some veteran players and get more youth into the lineup. If you look at things, at forward positions, we have Gagne, Carter, Richards, Umberger, Potulny, Ruzicka, and possibly Downie all making the roster. That's 6 positions in total in which players with two years or less in experience are playing critical roles. When you think of it, does it send a subtle message to the coach that we're going to be getting younger year after year and he's going to have to adapt to all the youngsters?

I guess Ed's plan of incorporating more youth, keeping draft picks, and moving older veteran players is really coming through eh. I'm also wondering whether this year's first round pick will also have a chance at cracking the lineup. I know I wouldn't mind if Mark Mitera, Chris Summers, or Brian Strait all have a chance at chasing a spot on the D. I'm actually hoping we draft Summers because after reading the scouting report on him, he's a born Flyer. He's a great skater, with great hockey sense, has a good shot and makes a great, crisp outlet pass and most importantly, he has a mean streak and he can hit like a freight train. He might be a little thin, but so is Keith Ballard in Phoenix and he was alright.

Anyways, looks like this team is really going to be young this upcoming season and it could really make for interesting to see how Hitchcock will handle all the youth at key positions.
I'm guessing that they will go with more young guys this year, and imo, it's the right thing to do.They've tried to win with a mostly veteren lineup for awhile, and they do have some good young prospects to insert into the lineup. If they do indeed go this route, I would be curious too to see how hitchcock would handle all the youth on his roster.

Btw- Are Mitera, Summers, or Strait right handed shots? Imo, the Flyers need at least one right handed shooting, powerplay quarterbacking defensemen, because as of now, their defensemen are too left handed.

dag54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
I'm guessing that they will go with more young guys this year, and imo, it's the right thing to do.They've tried to win with a mostly veteren lineup for awhile, and they do have some good young prospects to insert into the lineup. If they do indeed go this route, I would be curious too to see how hitchcock would handle all the youth on his roster.

Btw- Are Mitera, Summers, or Strait right handed shots? Imo, the Flyers need at least one right handed shooting, powerplay quarterbacking defensemen, because as of now, their defensemen are too left handed.
They are each left handed defenseman but it shouldn't matter that much.

Old
06-16-2006, 01:15 PM
BringBackStevens

i would be thrilled if next year's team is packed with our youngsters. ruzicka, picard, downie - i've loved everything that i have seen from them. i say why not, throw them in there and take a break from relying on washsed up veterens

Old
06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
i would be thrilled if next year's team is packed with our youngsters. ruzicka, picard, downie - i've loved everything that i have seen from them. i say why not, throw them in there and take a break from relying on washsed up veterens
Oh agreed. The other nice thing that this does is help free up some money from our payroll. I can live with that. Besides, what better way for these kids to learn than to be thrown into the fire. With someone like Ruzicka, Hitch could be a good coach for him because Hitch will constantly challenge Ruzicka to be better.

I'm just hoping that if the team goes into a funk with all the youngsters, nobody starts panicking and starts dealing youth for veterans. We need to bite the bullet a bit in terms of our youngsters and just let them play.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote