HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
You guys all know Kovalchuk NEVER said he was going to, or even wanted to, STAY in the KHL, right? He said he wanted to stay for the ASG because it's unfair to all the fans to just have these stars they've been watching all season disappear right before the event. He will be in camp Monday. The whole issue was a non-story that got blown massively out of proportion. Hate Kovy and the Devils all you want for real reasons, but Kovy is a serious, committed NHL player and questioning that is just stupid, IMO.
Small correction, his flight from Russia is not until January 15th (Tuesday), the devils will be lucky to have him on the ice on Wednesday. That was confirmed by multiple reporters; none of which have heard that the devils gave him permission to do this. Datsyuk was given permission by the red wings to stay in Russia for the All Star Game and then come back, I believe he is flying back on Monday (or he will be in camp Monday). Tom Guilliti (I think that is how you spell his name) of the record (same paper Andrew Gross works for) has it up on his blog of when Kovalchuk will be back.

And, I don't necessarily agree with your opinion, but I do respect. I have never liked Kovalchuk so that may blurr the truth or him, however, I just always felt he was a selfish teammate and it really appeared that he only cared about money. Also, if the Devils and Kovalchuk's agent knew he was coming back, why would they not comment on the situation. Just the whole situation sounded a bit too fishy rather than pieces being taken out of context. However, I would think that if he desperately wanted to stay in Russia he could have retired from the NHL and stayed in the KHL, I am not familiar if there is a time you have to file for retirement. So who knows, only Kovalchuk knows, and when he gets back to the states he will say whatever he has to say to make everyone happy.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:25 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
so many NHL teams looking for defensemen--so few to fill the slots.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:37 AM
azrok22

Made me chuckle.

Quote:
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Me to #CBJ player: "What do you think life after 61 will be like?" Player: "Well, I don't think anybody can really say. That's why we ... "
Quote:
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

"... fought so hard for pensions during the CBA stuff. I mean, you want to ..." Me, interrupting: "No, no. I meant now that Nash is gone."

Old
01-13-2013, 07:38 AM
eco's bones

Capgeek has Cody Franson and Mike Mottau signing with the Leafs and Eric Fehr with the Caps.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:25 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Nearly 9:30am and there's been surprisingly little news given McKenzie's prediction of a Free Agent Frenzy like midnight... The only moves that've happened have been a couple of minor UFA signings - and they were all leaked well in advance of midnight. Curious to see who may show up at various camps on try outs.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
I'm told the #Flyers have reacquired goalie Brian Boucher from Carolina for Luke Pither. More on this in a bit #NHL #CrazyDayAlready
Anthony SanFilippo (twitter) @AnthonySan37 (retweeted by Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC)

So I guess they are out of the luongo sweepstakes, unless they swap bryz for luongo.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Scott Gomez won't be on the ice this morning. He's not injured. Uncertain future with the Canadiens.
Reddened?

Old
01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
@RenLavoieRDS Scott Gomez won't be on the ice this morning. He's not injured. Uncertain future with the Canadiens.
His career has really taken a nosedive.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:08 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
Small correction, his flight from Russia is not until January 15th (Tuesday), the devils will be lucky to have him on the ice on Wednesday. That was confirmed by multiple reporters; none of which have heard that the devils gave him permission to do this. Datsyuk was given permission by the red wings to stay in Russia for the All Star Game and then come back, I believe he is flying back on Monday (or he will be in camp Monday). Tom Guilliti (I think that is how you spell his name) of the record (same paper Andrew Gross works for) has it up on his blog of when Kovalchuk will be back.

And, I don't necessarily agree with your opinion, but I do respect. I have never liked Kovalchuk so that may blurr the truth or him, however, I just always felt he was a selfish teammate and it really appeared that he only cared about money. Also, if the Devils and Kovalchuk's agent knew he was coming back, why would they not comment on the situation. Just the whole situation sounded a bit too fishy rather than pieces being taken out of context. However, I would think that if he desperately wanted to stay in Russia he could have retired from the NHL and stayed in the KHL, I am not familiar if there is a time you have to file for retirement. So who knows, only Kovalchuk knows, and when he gets back to the states he will say whatever he has to say to make everyone happy.
I confused the report of Datsyuk being in camp on Monday with Kovy. Still, I think Kovy is a gamer and we just, mostly, hate him because he's a Devil. I also think that Russians still get a bad rep but that's a different issue. Either way, I'd heard Devils fans say that Lou had been in communication with Kovy directly the whole time and the no comment business was just how Lou handles everything. Not sure if I necessarily believe it, but I do believe that it was taken out of context that Kovy ever said he wanted to spend the year over there. People just wanted a story, IMO.

Last edited by SERE 24: 01-13-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Looks like Scott Gomez is getting Wade Redden Treatment in MTL. Stay home, get paid, count against cap and compliance buyout in summer.
lolz

Old
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
lolz
I don't really like the guy, but I find it pretty awful that there isn't a solution where these guys could play SOMEWHERE without it hurting the big club. Wouldn't have been that difficult.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Vitto79

How are the Rangers so good even after Sather gave Gomez and Redden all that money? So lucky the got McDonaugh for Gomez.............oh man even typing that I have to laugh

should not laugh too much though cause Redden is on the cap and Drury buyout still on this yr

Old
01-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
I confused the report of Datsyuk being in camp on Monday with Kovy. Still, I think Kovy is a gamer and we just, mostly, hate him because he's a Devil. I also think that Russians still get a bad rep but that's a different issue. Either way, I'd heard Devils fans say that Lou had been in communication with Kovy directly the whole time and the no comment business was just how Lou handles everything. Not sure if I necessarily believe it, but I do believe that it was taken out of context that Kovy ever said he wanted to spend the year over there. People just wanted a story, IMO.
haha I figured...He is a devil, but I never liked him from when he was with Atlanta, and although I am sure the devils will find a way to be very competitive still, I just think they are winding up similar to the thrashers where kovy is the face of the franchise in the front and spotlight and carrying the team and it sure seemed like he crumbled under that type of pressure. Last season parise was the face, now it is kovy again. I just don't believe he is a player to build a team around.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:35 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
haha I figured...He is a devil, but I never liked him from when he was with Atlanta, and although I am sure the devils will find a way to be very competitive still, I just think they are winding up similar to the thrashers where kovy is the face of the franchise in the front and spotlight and carrying the team and it sure seemed like he crumbled under that type of pressure. Last season parise was the face, now it is kovy again. I just don't believe he is a player to build a team around.
I don't think that's that fair considering Atlanta was a terribly managed team, top down. One guy is never going to do it all for you, and he was mostly a young player there and hadn't learned to play both sides of the game. He was definitely NJ's best player last year and through most of the playoffs despite playing with a pretty bad injury. New Jersey needs to find a goaltending solution for the future or they will struggle, but they have Larrson and Henrique and some other good prospects and I think their GM is much, much better than the Atlanta situation.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Maineice11

Quote:
I don't think that's that fair considering Atlanta was a terribly managed team, top down. One guy is never going to do it all for you, and he was mostly a young player there and hadn't learned to play both sides of the game. He was definitely NJ's best player last year and through most of the playoffs despite playing with a pretty bad injury. New Jersey needs to find a goaltending solution for the future or they will struggle, but they have Larrson and Henrique and some other good prospects and I think their GM is much, much better than the Atlanta situation.
I agree about the gm, lou is a great gm, but how much longer does he have left? Some rumors have been flying around that he will retire when brodeur retires, and one would think brodeur will be retiring after his contract is up, but who knows, time will tell.

Still cannot believe that Sather pulled this trade off in 2009:
Quote:
Flashback to June 30, 2009: NYR trade Gomez, Tom Pyatt, Michael Busto to MTL for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonah, Pavel Valentenko.
Bob McKnezie (twitter) @TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Quote:
For one reason or another, Redden, Gomez, Drury are being paid combined $8.227M not to play hockey this year. #Your 08-09,09-10Rangers.
That's just....sad?

Old
01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Hope the activity heats up today. Looking forward to seeing some unexpected moves. Would add excitement to the start of the season.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes

TRADE: #Canes acquire Kevin Westgarth from #LAKings in exchange for Anthony Stewart and two draft picks: http://m.carhur.com/0Qv5 #ItsTime
Hopefully things are picking up now.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

What a steal for the Kings...

01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Hopefully things are picking up now.
Westgarth is more vauable than Stewart by the tune of a couple picks? Westgarth is the biggest plug in the world.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Westgarth is more vauable than Stewart by the tune of a couple picks? Westgarth is the biggest plug in the world.
Had to add the picks for the SC ring I guess.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
turcotte8

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown

Nice to see NHL teams aren't wasting any time getting those slogans painted on the ice.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd

#CBJ hockey ops prez John Davidson addressed team this a.m. His message: “We’re going north.”

It'll be interesting to see if JD can do with CBJ what he did with STL.

RANGERS =
Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Eh? We're going north?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke