HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Training Camp '13 (Starts Sunday 1/13)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 01:08 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I honestly don't even believe the bottom-6 is weak. There's a lot of size and toughness in the bottom-6, and it isn't completely devoid of skill, especially if one of Hagelin, Kreider, or Callahan is playing and the third line, and that is pretty much a guarantee. Boyle's good for 10+ goals in a full season, and Pyatt is good for around 10. That's typical third line production, but when you add in their size and defensive capabilities, it makes for a really solid third line.
I was also factoring in the fact that our depth is pretty poor beyond them. Besides whichever of Hagelin or Kreider is on the third line, there is not one person I am comfortable with in the top 6. There is also (as of now) not many capable replacements in the bottom 6 in Hartford.

I really wouldn't mind having Callahan on the third line ES. His main attributes ES are his defensive one - he's an effective player, but not terribly efficient at scoring ES. I feel like he'd still be utilized effectively in a third line defensive role with PK and PP time.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

I like Pyatt, but I'd prefer him on the fourth line and have a more defensively responsible player there that we can pick up later, especially the way Torts plays his third line. A Feds from a few years ago could come in real handy now.

Last edited by iamitter: 01-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I don't love the Rupp or Asham signings. I think Rupp will be a pleasant surprise this year and be a great fourth liner for us, but Asham I could do without entirely. Pyatt I don't think is a meathead at all though and shouldn't be lumped with them. I think he's a very good third line winger who will actually excel with us. Has a one year deal with a lot of incentive to perform and also is coming from a really defensive system (so he'll fit ours) and much lower scoring team, so his offense might open up a bit. Either way, however, I don't think young players with fresh legs in he answer. You think we're going to win the Cup with a bunch of rookies in the lineup? I'm fine with a depth signing, though I do think our third line is fine and people are selling Boyle/Pyatt short, but having depth will never hurt. I don't think rookies will do us any good though unless they're extremely ready. Miller is not. He's 19. He'll be a great third line option, hopefully next year, but he's just not ready to be a solid third liner on a Cup contender; no way. Hrivik is injured. Either way, I'd rather have experience and go all in for the Cup than have Kreider, Miller and Hrivik in the lineup.
With these guys, they can break down in a hurry and what not, but I gotta admit that I always have kind of liked Asham. I think/hope that he could become a positive suprise...

Old
01-13-2013, 04:32 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I was also factoring in the fact that our depth is pretty poor beyond them. Besides whichever of Hagelin or Kreider is on the third line, there is not one person I am comfortable with in the top 6. There is also (as of now) not many capable replacements in the bottom 6 in Hartford.

I really wouldn't mind having Callahan on the third line ES. His main attributes ES are his defensive one - he's an effective player, but not terribly efficient at scoring ES. I feel like he'd still be utilized effectively in a third line defensive role with PK and PP time.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

I like Pyatt, but I'd prefer him on the fourth line and have a more defensively responsible player there that we can pick up later, especially the way Torts plays his third line. A Feds from a few years ago could come in real handy now.

Not something I really want, necessarily, but Pyatt's numbers have been low but he's been primarily a third liner, occasionally getting shifted on the fourth line. He has the size, aggression and hands around the net to play on a scoring line, because, as you say, he's not a very defensive player. If he was a little faster or just a bit more productive, I would say the idea of exploring:

Kreider - Richards - Nash
Pyatt - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

Would be intriguing for the fact that a big body like Pyatt who is strong in the corners (his main strength) and throws his weight around could really be good on a line with Gaborik (create space, protect) but, more importantly, that third line would be a DYNAMITE shutdown line. Maybe the best overall (all three players considered) shutdown line in hockey. Again, not something I actually want because Pyatt is just a bit too slow, with too low a numbers, but an intriguing thought. I could see Torts actually letting Pyatt get a crack at the top six at some point though, considering how much he juggles the lines. Pyatt has gotten regular PP minutes on the second unit most of his career, so he CAN play with a skilled line.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:43 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
With these guys, they can break down in a hurry and what not, but I gotta admit that I always have kind of liked Asham. I think/hope that he could become a positive suprise...
Agree, Asham is this typical player that you love to have in your team but hate too face. I do believe he is a good replacement for Prust.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:31 AM
eco's bones

I've always liked Asham as well. There's not a lot of bull **** to his game. Unfortunately it would be better if he could do more--for instance penalty kill. Pretty much he's a north-south player who will drop the gloves with anyone--even someone much bigger than him. He's also got a hell of a slap shot if and when he gets room to get it off. Very capable of putting 10 to 15 or so pucks in the net in any given year given decent linemates. He fights very well for his size and despite the high crosscheck in last year's playoffs he's not a dirty player and had never been suspended before. A good character guy.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Levitate

Asham's effectiveness seems to have gone downhill a bit since he's getting older, but yeah hopefully he can be a good 4th liner at least

Old
01-13-2013, 07:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Do we have an official training camp roster yet?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Do we have an official training camp roster yet?
nope but for an update Winchester at Calgary camp, Darche at NJ..........on the Trades board, training camp invites thread. Tons of news like this will come out

Hoping Rangers invited one vet and called up 2 from CT to battle for spare spot..........would we not know who was in camp by now though? They could let Bickel play for Asham on 4th line wing

could they only carry 2 D as spares and only call up when needed?

Last edited by Vitto79: 01-13-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Don't think the Rangers will be inviting any D to camp with MDZ resigned and Gilroy signed. They have Staal, McD, Girardi, MDZ, Stralman, Eminger, Bickel, and Gilroy under contract.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
Yes. RT @pickledotcom: is Rupp back to #17?

This actually makes me sad...

Old
01-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
Yes. RT @pickledotcom: is Rupp back to #17?

This actually makes me sad...
Just pretend that we have Kovalchuk out there.

Ilya Rupperchuk.

01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I do miss Dubi.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:20 AM
tomcatNYR
Rookie User

Nobody really expected that the 17 would never be worn again, did they?

Old
01-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The new CBA doesn't allow for NHL players to be put through a skate on the same day they do medical testing. Another wrinkle in short camp.
Did the Rangers do their medical testing already? Otherwise, it appears they can't skate today.

BUT, they could run...

Old
01-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Did the Rangers do their medical testing already? Otherwise, it appears they can't skate today.

BUT, they could run...
Torts must be furious.

Watch him make them run across the Tappan Zee and back.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Do the players get a juicebox and a snack after each practice too?

01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
NYRangers723

Quote:
I do miss Dubi.
i liked dubi but id rather have an all-star who now can be even better because he is playing with better linemates. dubi signed that contract and had his worst year

Old
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
i liked dubi but id rather have an all-star who now can be even better because he is playing with better linemates. dubi signed that contract and had his worst year
What does one have to do with the other? I just miss having him on the Rangers. Never said I was unhappy with the trade. I'd take Dubi back in a couple years on a cheaper deal though.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:39 AM
NYRangers723

Quote:
What does one have to do with the other? I just miss having him on the Rangers. Never said I was unhappy with the trade. I'd take Dubi back in a couple years on a cheaper deal though.
I think you misunderstood. I was just making a personal statement I wasnt trying to show you up.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay

12 forwards, eight d (Del Zotto, Gilroy), two goalies on NYR training camp roster.No one else from Whale
We need to scrounge up a 13th forward unless we plan on using Bickel in a bind (including that Asham is suspended to start the year).

Old
01-13-2013, 10:51 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
We need to scrounge up a 13th forward unless we plan on using Bickel in a bind.
They need a F for game 1 with Asham suspended. Probably safe to assume at this point, with Haley not being around, that they'll just use 7 D for one game.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
We need to scrounge up a 13th forward unless we plan on using Bickel in a bind.
The bind exists in game 1, with Asham suspended.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
azrok22

Richards out with the flu.

Quote:
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord

Without Richards, lines are Hagelin-Stepan-Hagelin, Callahan-Boyle-Gaborik, Kreider-Halpern-Pyatt with Asham and Rupp skating together.
Torts strikes hard and early. (assuming Hagelin2.0 = Nash)

Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Richards out with the flu.

Torts strikes hard and early. (assuming Hagelin2.0 = Nash)
Where's Nash?

Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Hagelin 2.0 is definitely Nash

Closed Thread