HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Impact of the sale of MLSE to Rogers/BCE

Old
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Westhotsauce

vCash: 500
Impact of the sale of MLSE to Rogers/BCE

What are your thoughts on the sale of MLSE to rogers and bell? I think the product will be expanded to more platforms such as tablets and cell phones

Westhotsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
More content for cell phones' tablets for sure.

Still think the game plan down the road is to get the 2nd team in the GTA. Therefore there's even more content. Bell and Rogers being 2 companies can 'split' one owns each team and share the combined content.

The rich can just get richer.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

We need to put price controls and minimum quotas on bandwidth caps to blackmail them into investing more into Internet infrastructure. We've been a developed country for longer than South Korea, and the price, speed, and bandwidth caps on our Internet service do not reflect how advanced we are as a country. Time to stop the pigs from holding Canada back.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
somewhat on topic... anyone know how long the rogers leafstv/sportsnet deal runs?

it should be interesting to see if the leafs push for more wednesday games (TSN) now with bell in the fold. CBC/HNIC could end up being the big loser.

and yes, this does seem to set the stage for a divorce in 5-10 years with the loser getting toronto2/southernontario.

01-12-2013, 10:58 PM
DyerMaker66

Sportsnet and TSN are owned by the same people: There are no losers(other than possibly CBC, but that's a blessing in disguise, imo).

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Sportsnet and TSN are owned by the same people: There are no losers(other than possibly CBC, but that's a blessing in disguise, imo).
what? Rogers owns sportsnet. Bell owns tsn. Together they own MLSE. I believe there was a clause against joint bids for the next contract, meaning one of them wont get the next leafs local tv contract.

The two are sharing the radio side (half a season each for TSN radio and the fan 590), and will do so for raptors games as well, but the money involved with radio is peanuts compared to the tv deal, and they arnt allowed to split the tv deal.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
what? Rogers owns sportsnet. Bell owns tsn. Together they own MLSE. I believe there was a clause against joint bids for the next contract, meaning one of them wont get the next leafs local tv contract.

The two are sharing the radio side (half a season each for TSN radio and the fan 590), and will do so for raptors games as well, but the money involved with radio is peanuts compared to the tv deal, and they arnt allowed to split the tv deal.
I thought Rogers and Bell had merged too? I think I'm confusing Bell and Astral.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:15 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I thought Rogers and Bell had merged too? I think I'm confusing Bell and Astral.
no, still separate companies, and direct competitors in every aspect of their businesses - which is why many predict this whole partnership not having a chance at lasting long-term.

bell/astral merger was blocked, btw, and if the government blocks that, no way in hell they ever let bell and rogers merge.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:53 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
no, still separate companies, and direct competitors in every aspect of their businesses - which is why many predict this whole partnership not having a chance at lasting long-term.

bell/astral merger was blocked, btw, and if the government blocks that, no way in hell they ever let bell and rogers merge.
As they should, imo.

Anywhoo, my apologies for the confusion.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:59 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westhotsauce View Post
What are your thoughts on the sale of MLSE to rogers and bell? I think the product will be expanded to more platforms such as tablets and cell phones
I think so.

OTOH you'll have more meddling from ownership. And in a few years we will all get to enjoy a power struggle for control and then a bloody divorce. Which should be priceless.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westhotsauce View Post
I'm hoping that it means there's going to be an NHL team in Hamilton in the near future, at the cost of broadcasting rights.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
htpwn

Quote:
somewhat on topic... anyone know how long the rogers leafstv/sportsnet deal runs?

it should be interesting to see if the leafs push for more wednesday games (TSN) now with bell in the fold. CBC/HNIC could end up being the big loser.

and yes, this does seem to set the stage for a divorce in 5-10 years with the loser getting toronto2/southernontario.
Through this season and next, IIRC.

Quote:

I think that was only for National TV deals.

The plan was that Bell and Rogers split the next TV contract, deciding who gets what game through an alternating draft (ex. Rogers picks, then Bell picks, then Rogers picks, etc.). As per the CBA/HRR accounting rules, the deal must be market value, which at this point will reportedly be in excess of $1 million per game.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Tinalera

I think any tech device they are going to exploit-cell phones, tablets, ect ect. I wonder what the fate of Leafs TV will be, if it will get more or less attention. With Rogers particularly, I think they eventually want to have every Canadian team on a dedicated channel (like Jets TV, Leafs TV)-I'm assuming they also run the channels out west (Oilers, Canucks)?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote