2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 10:29 PM
skating101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
He got hurt against North York. Was he even selected for the GTHL prospects game? I dont think he was. Not sure if he is back this weekend, ill guess no. He will be missed. Fregona has very good hands and has excellent skating ability, he meshes fantastic with Strome.
IMO Fregona doesn’t get enough recognition, without him in the lineup can't see the Marlies beating the Rebels tomorrow night.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:30 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Mcclean is not even close to Cho and you can't even start to compare mcclean to defarias.

Defarias was by far the best D at the prospect game and will be one of the first D taken from the GTHL.

I saw defarias get physical along the boards and easily win two puck battles against Special K.

Disagree with you on this one
I like Cho. He is no nonsense, but has to become a bit more nasty.

Defarias was the best dman skater out there.

Wilkie was best hitter out there, but he seemed to be running around at times.

I liked Saban, except for the giveaway.

I dont think there will be a GTHL dman going in the first round. Any thoughts?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:32 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Let's see some early mocks! Please
I would, but nobody wants to see the final results now. LOL

Old
01-11-2013, 10:55 PM
BigBuck

What do you guys think about some of the Ottawa area kids? Martin Frechette,Jeremy Mcfarlane-EO Wild, Ian Johnson,Ben Fanjoy-OTT Sens,Neal Doef,Shane Woolsey-UC Cyclones,Matt Foget-OTT 67s to name a few.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:07 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey , I dont throw around weights and heights like some people out there.
I am sure all of us know a few NHL rs. They look a lot bigger on the ice then in person. Jeff Skinner for example, there are many other. It's not so much as size but strength. The game is played on the ice with equipment not parading around the rink in skives.

Point made.

Chewer, give us your mock draft if season finished today. Keep Yan Nakita and Day in draft even though those thee IMO are doubtful.

It's always fun to critique.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
walker33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
I am sure all of us know a few NHL rs. They look a lot bigger on the ice then in person. Jeff Skinner for example, there are many other. It's not so much as size but strength. The game is played on the ice with equipment not parading around the rink in skives.

Point made.

Chewer, give us your mock draft if season finished today. Keep Yan Nakita and Day in draft even though those thee IMO are doubtful.

It's always fun to critique.
Jeff Skinner is pretty solid actually, I am a strength coach and i do a ton of the YSE minor Midgets and lean is the new thing thats in. Players must be strong, but also elite athletes therefore the can not be huge. Foot speed is important and endurance. Jeff is low to the ground and pretty stalky. Most players would be lucky to have his build.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
Jeff Skinner is pretty solid actually, I am a strength coach and i do a ton of the YSE minor Midgets and lean is the new thing thats in. Players must be strong, but also elite athletes therefore the can not be huge. Foot speed is important and endurance. Jeff is low to the ground and pretty stalky. Most players would be lucky to have his build.
Agreed. Tree trunk legs. A lot of NHL ers listed at 6 ft are not quite there.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
Skinner drafter 5.09 175. Pretty effective today !

Old
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Let's see some early mocks! Please
How deep do u want the mock draft to be?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:34 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Agreed. Tree trunk legs. A lot of NHL ers listed at 6 ft are not quite there.
Thats usually key when your under 6 feet and u want success, massive legs so u can be strong on the puck. Max Domi is another guy with a very strong lower body. Helps him counter getting pushed off the puck and playing in the dirty areas.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
PetesFan94

Quote:
How deep do u want the mock draft to be?
Top-20, please. As the standings sit now.

Last edited by PetesFan94: 01-12-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 01:39 PM
OHL27

hows mike davies on STA look? what is he projected?

Old
01-12-2013, 02:00 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHL27 View Post
hows mike davies on STA look? what is he projected?
IMO late first early second.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:37 PM
scout97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Top-20, please. As the standings sit now.
This was my first round mock based on viewings up to Dec 28. * I included all U.S players + yan, korostelev, day ect

1. D/ Sean day
2. D/ zach werenski
3. F/ Nikita korostelev
4. F/ Travis konecny
5. D/ matt Spencer
6. F/ Dylan strome
7. F/ Luke kirwan
8. F/ Mitchell stephans
9. F/ Dennis yan
10. F/ Jordan Greenway
11. F/ Brett McKenzie
12. D/ troy henely
13. F/ Brendan warren
14. F/ Lawson crouse
15. D/ garret McFadden
16. F/ blake speers
17. D/ josh defairis
18. D/ cole mayo
19. D/ Cameron lizzotte
20. D/ connor Walters
21. D/ connor slitchling
22. F/ Sam Harding

I will post an updated one mid - late February

Old
01-13-2013, 12:12 AM
inthekknow

Not sure how much you have seen harding this year but has dropped off significantly. Not producing points and is about 3-4 on the FWD depth chart of that team. May have peaked last year as really has not shown much this season. Not at all noticible in most games like he was the last couple of years

Old
01-13-2013, 09:00 AM
wingman22

Rebels vs Marlie thoughts ?

IMO Marlies out coached. Why not use Strome with Stephens more often ? They were unbelievable together. Game was chippy. Though Rajic and Hayhurst were best Rebs Fwds. I love Wiseman, reminds me of Ken Linsmen. Clapham steady on back end.

Marlies didn't score one pp goal and had their chances. Stephens played with more intensity and showed why he should be a first round pick. Strome had chances by himself, when the two were together WOW !

Richardson was solid both goals against we're a chippy bounce. Great game would be an exciting GTHL final.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:02 AM
LKF

Quote:
Rebels vs Marlie thoughts ?

IMO Marlies out coached. Why not use Strome with Stephens more often ? They were unbelievable together. Game was chippy. Though Rajic and Hayhurst were best Rebs Fwds. I love Wiseman, reminds me of Ken Linsmen. Clapham steady on back end.

Marlies didn't score one pp goal and had their chances. Stephens played with more intensity and showed why he should be a first round pick. Strome had chances by himself, when the two were together WOW !

Richardson was solid both goals against we're a chippy bounce. Great game would be an exciting GTHL final.
Same reason why Gagne didn't load lines at prospect game. They played a ton in this game. Strome has to be better in big games for a top pick. Rajic, Hayhurst and Zeppy were very good. Clapham very physical, Luvtowatch wouldn't have liked how Clapham man handled Robinson.

RW JRC game slow. Very tough game to watch. Got real nasty at end. Tuesday should be some good hockey to finish up the regular season.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
This was my first round mock based on viewings up to Dec 28. * I included all U.S players + yan, korostelev, day ect

1. D/ Sean day
2. D/ zach werenski
3. F/ Nikita korostelev
4. F/ Travis konecny
5. D/ matt Spencer
6. F/ Dylan strome
7. F/ Luke kirwan
8. F/ Mitchell stephans
9. F/ Dennis yan
10. F/ Jordan Greenway
11. F/ Brett McKenzie
12. D/ troy henely
13. F/ Brendan warren
14. F/ Lawson crouse
15. D/ garret McFadden
16. F/ blake speers
17. D/ josh defairis
18. D/ cole mayo
19. D/ Cameron lizzotte
20. D/ connor Walters
21. D/ connor slitchling
22. F/ Sam Harding

I will post an updated one mid - late February
I dont know much about Greenway, Kirwan and Yan, as per my limited scouting on them, so I cant comment on them. According to others on this blog, they compare them as top 5 prospects.

I think Crouse, Mckenzie and Henley should definitely in the top 10. I think Spencer should be top Ontario prospect. Konecny and the Big K can switch spots??

As you guys know, I think Strome should go 8-10 and Stephens, 10-12. Speers should be top 15.

I would have MacArthur, Burns , Szypula, Petawabano in the first round, ahead of Defarius.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
chewerjones

Where has Fergus ended up?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
mapleleaf979

1. Ottawa - Sean Day
2. Peterbourough- Zach Werenski (Trouble with guys reporting, may look at local boy M.Stephens)
3. Erie- Matt Spencer (Top Ontario boy, incredible skater, puck rushing Dmen who logs lots minutes)
4. Kingston - Dylan Strome (young centerman with Bennett and Watson, dont think they go D here)
5. Saginaw - Luke Kirwan (Try and get the US boy to play south of the border)
6. Mississauga- Travis Konecny
7. North Bay- Jordan Greenway (Will the american boy report here? Doubt it)
8. Sudbury- Brett Mckenzie (very complete player, competes, excellent playmaking skills, board work)
9. Sault ste Marie- Nikita Korostelev (great pairing with McCann)
10. Plymouth- Lawson Crouse
11. Guelph- Mitchell Stephens (stock falling, his feet/hands could dominate every shift, lacks ambition)
12. Niagara- Cole Mayo
13. Sarnia- Troy Henley (needs to work on his conditioning, at times appears lazy, lots of tools)
14. Oshawa- Connor Schlichting (He will not make it past London, who like him alot)
15. Belleville- Blake Speers (Maybe the fastest guy in this draft, big ice suits him)
16. Kitchener- Connor Walters(very complete Dman, Battle and board work is incredible)
17. Owen Sound- Garrett MCfadden (home town boy, born in OS)
18. Barrie- Ethan Szypula
19. London- Colton White

Second Round Players:

Lizotte, Knott, M.Webb, Barrow, Wilkie, Saban, Avidan, Dunda, Davies, Baird, Clapham, Petawabano, N.Robinson, Barwell, Burns, Capobianco, Bushnell, Vande Sompel, Leblanc, Macarthur, Heeps, Bricknell, Lemcke, McCool, Luchuk, MCphail

*Brendan Warren would be in my Top 10. He is committed to Michigan, he is Sam Bennett of the 97's.
*Dennis Yan would also be in my Top 10, rumblings about US NTDP team, best sniper in this draft.
*Peterborough may be the toughest to gauge, may have to sink down the depth chart to find someone
* The American Boys Kirwan and Greenway, both uncommitted, anything can happen in the next few months. Everything being equal, Both are Top 7 picks.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Torts

Quote:
1. Ottawa - Sean Day
2. Peterbourough- Zach Werenski (Trouble with guys reporting, may look at local boy M.Stephens)
3. Erie- Matt Spencer (Top Ontario boy, incredible skater, puck rushing Dmen who logs lots minutes)
4. Kingston - Dylan Strome (young centerman with Bennett and Watson, dont think they go D here)
5. Saginaw - Luke Kirwan (Try and get the US boy to play south of the border)
6. Mississauga- Travis Konecny
7. North Bay- Jordan Greenway (Will the american boy report here? Doubt it)
8. Sudbury- Brett Mckenzie (very complete player, competes, excellent playmaking skills, board work)
9. Sault ste Marie- Nikita Korostelev (great pairing with McCann)
10. Plymouth- Lawson Crouse
11. Guelph- Mitchell Stephens (stock falling, his feet/hands could dominate every shift, lacks ambition)
12. Niagara- Cole Mayo
13. Sarnia- Troy Henley (needs to work on his conditioning, at times appears lazy, lots of tools)
14. Oshawa- Connor Schlichting (He will not make it past London, who like him alot)
15. Belleville- Blake Speers (Maybe the fastest guy in this draft, big ice suits him)
16. Kitchener- Connor Walters(very complete Dman, Battle and board work is incredible)
17. Owen Sound- Garrett MCfadden (home town boy, born in OS)
18. Barrie- Ethan Szypula
19. London- Colton White

Second Round Players:

Lizotte, Knott, M.Webb, Barrow, Wilkie, Saban, Avidan, Dunda, Davies, Baird, Clapham, Petawabano, N.Robinson, Barwell, Burns, Capobianco, Bushnell, Vande Sompel, Leblanc, Macarthur, Heeps, Bricknell, Lemcke, McCool, Luchuk, MCphail

*Brendan Warren would be in my Top 10. He is committed to Michigan, he is Sam Bennett of the 97's.
*Dennis Yan would also be in my Top 10, rumblings about US NTDP team, best sniper in this draft.
*Peterborough may be the toughest to gauge, may have to sink down the depth chart to find someone
* The American Boys Kirwan and Greenway, both uncommitted, anything can happen in the next few months. Everything being equal, Both are Top 7 picks.
absolutely love this, do people think Konency will drop that far. Also fans of McKenzie and Stephens at that spot. Steelheads will need a forward that can jump into Top 6 right away.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
absolutely love this, do people think Konency will drop that far. Also fans of McKenzie and Stephens at that spot. Steelheads will need a forward that can jump into Top 6 right away.
I dont think Konecny will go to Peterborough @ #2 even if they want him. Im sure they will try hard for him, so its possible, im not convinced of it though. I believe they go hard after MAtt Spencer as well. Shall be interesting.

I dont think Erie @ #3 will take him as they need a big Dmen who logs a ton of minutes. Spencer will become one of the best skaters in the OHL the day he steps on that ice. MAtt Spencer and Adam Pelech would be scary together and compliment each other very well. Spencer has better feet than any 96 born player from last year. Spencer has more upside than Konecny.

Kingston is next @ 4 and I feel they go with more size as there top 4 guys from last years draft were not very big or heavy and only Bennett had a physical edge. As much as Konecny hits now, it wont happen in the OHL. Strome has more upside than Konecny in my opinion.

Saginaw is next @ 5 and Im not sure Konecny reports south of the border to Saginaw.

Mississauga is next @ 6 and should have no issues going here.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Add these guys to my above list as in contention for the second round:

Mercer, Craivech, Worrad, Coyle, Primeau, Broomhead, Peski

Old
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Port Huron International Silver Sticks 98 Bantam

Detroit Honeybaked won the Tourney today. They won the Marlie Classic as well. They have won 48 games in a row. Unbelievable. They beat the 98 Marlboros 6-3. The final four teams were Detroit Honeybaked, Toronto Marlboros, Mississauga Rebels, Chicago Mission.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Port Huron International Silver Sticks 98 Bantam

Detroit Honeybaked won the Tourney today. They won the Marlie Classic as well. They have won 48 games in a row. Unbelievable. They beat the 98 Marlboros 6-3. The final four teams were Detroit Honeybaked, Toronto Marlboros, Mississauga Rebels, Chicago Mission.
The final 4 were actually Honeybaked/Compuware in one semi, and Marlies/Mission in the other. The Marlies beat the Jr. Canadiens in the quarters. It's a shame we didn't get to see the Moscow Selects play Honeybaked in the final of the Marlie Classic.

The '00 Rebels lost 5-0 to Honeybaked in the Peewee final. The final four were Honeybaked/Westchester, Rebels/York Simcoe.

Oakville '97's split their 2 games with Compuware. Lost the first game 4-3, and won the second game 4-1.

Closed Thread