HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  #176
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
It's going to take quite some time for this mess to be turned around. The first was getting rid of "Goat". Now we need to build through the draft for all those involved.
He could always sign quality AHLers to help the rookies down there.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
  #177
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Actually he is not getting the full 5.5 this year because of the lockout (at least I think so).

I also want to know if the Habs do buy him out, does he get the full 4.5 million? If not, this year and next year combined, Gomez gets paid like 6 of the 10 million left. I wonder if it's better if he just tries to find a new contract now instead of next year where he will have missed a whole year of hockey.
For the buy out period it is 66% spread over twice the number of years left.

In his case that would be 4.5*.66 = 3 over two years giving 1.5 per year.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
  #178
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Actually he is not getting the full 5.5 this year because of the lockout (at least I think so).

I also want to know if the Habs do buy him out, does he get the full 4.5 million? If not, this year and next year combined, Gomez gets paid like 6 of the 10 million left. I wonder if it's better if he just tries to find a new contract now instead of next year where he will have missed a whole year of hockey.
He gets 2/3 spread over two years, so he would be getting 1.5M for next year and the following, for a total of 3.0M.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
  #179
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
So, is he being "Stephon Marburyed"? Not even going to send him down...just pay this year's salary and then cut him loose?
We call that getting Laraqued around these parts.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:07 PM
  #180
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
He gets 2/3 spread over two years, so he would be getting 1.5M for next year and the following, for a total of 3.0M.
Like I thought. So of his 10 million left, he will only actually be getting around 6 (before taxes). I wonder if it's better for Scott Gomez to agree to have his contract terminated (if the league even allows that) and then signs with a different team (if allowed).

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  #181
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
If there is any justice in the world Bob Gainey who is now an "advisor" in Dallas should take Scott Gomez for their best D prospect Jamie Oleksiak and a third round pick.

That trade is Gainey's legacy in Montreal.

Higgins has made solid contribution as a third line LW on a Stanley Cup contender.

Without that trade this theoretically could be the our lineup today:

Patches ---- DD--- Cole
Bourque. --- Pleky--- Gionta
Higgins ---Eller---Armstrong
Moen ---- White ---- Prust

Higgins also had good chemistry with Pleky when started in Hamilton together.



Subban --- McDo
Markov--- Emelin
Boullion--- Gorges




Gainey/Gauthier era = Rejean Houle era

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
  #182
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,291
vCash: 500
Tough move. Good call. Tick a +1 in the Bergevin plus column.

The centre position is a mess , they need to get better options in there even on a trial basis.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
  #183
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If there is any justice in the world Bob Gainey who is now an "advisor" in Dallas should take Scott Gomez for their best D prospect Jamie Oleksiak and a third round pick.

That trade is Gainey's legacy in Montreal.

Higgins has made solid contribution as a third line LW on a Stanley Cup contender.

Without that trade this theoretically could be the our lineup today:

Patches ---- DD--- Cole
Bourque. --- Pleky--- Gionta
Higgins ---Eller---Armstrong
Moen ---- White ---- Prust

Higgins also had good chemistry with Pleky when started in Hamilton together.



Subban --- McDo
Markov--- Emelin
Boullion--- Gorges




Gainey/Gauthier era = Rejean Houle era
And people still think Gainey is god around here. And you wonder why the Habs are in a mess right now. Look at those GMs...wow!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
  #184
the
Registered User
 
the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
And people still think Gainey is god around here. And you wonder why the Habs are in a mess right now. Look at those GMs...wow!
He did a good job...until 2009

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
  #185
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If there is any justice in the world Bob Gainey who is now an "advisor" in Dallas should take Scott Gomez for their best D prospect Jamie Oleksiak and a third round pick.

That trade is Gainey's legacy in Montreal.

Higgins has made solid contribution as a third line LW on a Stanley Cup contender.

Without that trade this theoretically could be the our lineup today:

Patches ---- DD--- Cole
Bourque. --- Pleky--- Gionta
Higgins ---Eller---Armstrong
Moen ---- White ---- Prust

Higgins also had good chemistry with Pleky when started in Hamilton together.



Subban --- McDo
Markov--- Emelin
Boullion--- Gorges




Gainey/Gauthier era = Rejean Houle era
Both Gionta and Camalleri credited Gomez for enticing them to sign here. We'll never know how big of a factor he played in those signings, but we can't say with certainty that they would have signed here had we not acquired him.

The biggest loss in that trade is McDonagh, he'd be our best D.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
  #186
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Tough move. Good call. Tick a +1 in the Bergevin plus column.

The centre position is a mess , they need to get better options in there even on a trial basis.
The center position might not be great, but it's fine. DD, Plek, Eller, Galcheniuk, Dumont and Leblanc can make the job. If you have a look around the whole league, not many teams have two good centermen.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
  #187
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,020
vCash: 500
Great, now we can finally move on.

Good luck Scott.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  #188
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Both Gionta and Camalleri credited Gomez for enticing them to sign here. We'll never know how big of a factor he played in those signings, but we can't say with certainty that they would have signed here had we not acquired him.

The biggest loss in that trade is McDonagh, he'd be our best D.
I think that was just bs catering to the media.

if someone is going to overpay you, you'd go to the that team. the fact that someone you played is going to be your teammate is just a bonus

One man's opinion, but one I've heard a few reputed analysts have stated.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  #189
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Thanks Scott. Great human being, bad hockey player.

Gainey

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #190
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Thanks Scott. Great human being, bad hockey player.

Gainey
Totally appropriate, let me join you on that:

Gainey

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  #191
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,221
vCash: 500
No ill will toward Gomez. He wasn't good and was insanely overpaid, but that was not his fault. He just should never have been on this roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
That rules is stupid. It sucks to prevent a guy from playing at lower level if he wants to. I heard Redden was great for the AHL guys.

Gomez is a good guy and I wish him the best.
There should be a way for a NHL player to waive that right and allow for a buyout even if injured in return for getting a chance to play.

Ultimately, the player should have the right to take a chance with his career and not have that choice taken away from him.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
  #192
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
To bad he can`t play in the AHL because of the whole injury situation. It would help him get a contract for next year (I don`t want to see his career end like this) and the Dogs could definitely use the vet leadership.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:29 PM
  #193
Beendair Donedat
Registered User
 
Beendair Donedat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Without Gainey you don't have Pacioretty or Gorges. Have a little respect for a man who Played, coached or managed half his life for this organization. None of you have an eighth of Gainey's class and devotion. Gainey went through a horrible personal tragedy and was asked to stay... He brought respect back to this organization.

Good riddance to Gomez.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  #194
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,221
vCash: 500
I haven't read the thread in its entirety but... did they make him come all the way from Alaska only to tell him to go back home?

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
  #195
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I haven't read the thread in its entirety but... did they make him come all the way from Alaska only to tell him to go back home?
Bergevin had to wait until the lock out was officially over (yesterday evening) to make it official.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  #196
PlagerBros*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
To bad he can`t play in the AHL because of the whole injury situation. It would help him get a contract for next year (I don`t want to see his career end like this) and the Dogs could definitely use the vet leadership.
Agreed

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
  #197
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,934
vCash: 500
Good work Bergevin..I actually feel for Gomez. Guys a heart and soul guy, ill miss seeing him, but wont miss seeing his cap hit.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
  #198
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
I'm not a big fan of this move. This should have been covered in the cba to allow him to pursue a career in the NHL somewhere.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
  #199
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Without Gainey you don't have Pacioretty or Gorges. Have a little respect for a man who Played, coached or managed half his life for this organization. None of you have an eighth of Gainey's class and devotion. Gainey went through a horrible personal tragedy and was asked to stay... He brought respect back to this organization.

Good riddance to Gomez.
You call Gomez bringing respect to this organization? Give me a break. The guy was a hell of a hockey player, but as a GM he wasn't much better than Houle. And we will be paying for it for years.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
  #200
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,655
vCash: 500
I agree with the move. it just sucks that CBA leaves no option but to use such a dick move. As an athlete, I'm sure Gomez wants to play, even if not for the habs. He's being forced to sit. Sucks, it is what it is.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.