HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Subban to DET

Old
01-13-2013, 10:07 AM
zombi
I D D Q D

vCash: 500
Subban to DET

Filppula
Nyquist
Jurco
Ouellet
2nd 2013

Subban

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Start with Brandon Smith and add, for me.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Subban won't be traded, confirmed by Bergevin today.

You can put all the proposals to a rest.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:23 AM
radekas

I would never give that much for Subban.

radekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:28 AM
solo16

vCash: 728
Too much from detroit. At a bare minimum you would have to drop Ouellete and maybe the second. Filppula is a decent asset and Nyquist is arguably our best prospect. His value is not so far behind the aforementioned Smith.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Too much from detroit. At a bare minimum you would have to drop Ouellete and maybe the second. Filppula is a decent asset and Nyquist is arguably our best prospect. His value is not so far behind the aforementioned Smith.
I don't think Montreal has any interest in the package that was there to start.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
LBC Vapo*

that's like half their team

LBC Vapo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Its a lot of quantity for quality. Neither team accepts it.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:20 AM
kerjuxaxaxa

not interested for that value

kerjuxaxaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Thrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Its a lot of quantity for quality. Neither team accepts it.
Even worse for Detroit is that a lot of the quantity is also pretty high quality. I like Subban a lot, but no way do the Wings gut their prospect pool for him.

Thrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:28 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
Even worse for Detroit is that a lot of the quantity is also pretty high quality. I like Subban a lot, but no way do the Wings gut their prospect pool for him.
Its just not a good fit. The Habs have a lot of quality forward prospects (Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc, Gallagher, Bozon, Bournival) and defense prospects (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Thrower). They don't need more of these prospect types.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
I don't see the Wings doing that either, but even on the OP offer, I'd want a D who could play, like Smith, as part of that package. Take something else out and put Smith in, then maybe it tempts the Habs. Whereas, the Wings were out of the bidding even before that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:38 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Montreal is stupid then. Filppula is a solid young top 6er. Oullete is an extremely good top 6 d prospect that was one of the best dman on team Canada wjc. Nyquist is a top 50 (maybe 25) Offensive prospect in the league. And to boot a 2nd. Those are three quality assets though not sure if any have the franchise upside that Subban has (and will probably never realize).

Subban is a very good top 4 dman. Potential franchise Defenseman.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:40 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Montreal is stupid then. Filppula is a solid young top 6er. Oullete is an extremely good top 6 d prospect that was one of the best dman on team Canada wjc. Nyquist is a top 50 (maybe 25) Offensive prospect in the league. And to boot a 2nd. Those are three quality assets though not sure if any have the franchise upside that Subban has (and will probably never realize).

Subban is a very good top 4 dman. Potential franchise Defenseman.
Subban is a #1 dman which is why you would have to surrender those types of players. But the Habs NEED Subban. Its not an option. That offer doesn't change the Habs prospect depth - we are deep in prospects. Filpulla is not that enticing. Clearly you have no idea about the Habs team needs or weaknesses.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't see the Wings doing that either, but even on the OP offer, I'd want a D who could play, like Smith, as part of that package. Take something else out and put Smith in, then maybe it tempts the Habs. Whereas, the Wings were out of the bidding even before that.
Smith and Subban are similar players. Similar attributes, same age, Smith has a better pedigre.. Subban is more proven but honestly the difference is alot closer than you think.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Smith and Subban are similar players. Similar attributes, same age, Smith has a better pedigre.. Subban is more proven but honestly the difference is alot closer than you think.
Nooooooooope

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
LOL, Brendan Smith has nothing close to the Pedigree of Subban. Subban played for Canada's World Junior team, won gold and was on the tournament All-Star team. Dominated in the AHL.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
solo16

Quote:
Subban is a #1 dman which is why you would have to surrender those types of players. But the Habs NEED Subban. Its not an option. That offer doesn't change the Habs prospect depth - we are deep in prospects. Filpulla is not that enticing. Clearly you have no idea about the Habs team needs or weaknesses.
36 point Number 1 dman. Good luck with that. Subban sucked last season. He has a long way to go to be a number 1 or a franchise dman that MTL thinks he can become. But I was speaking strictly value.

If you want to keep a dman keep a dman. The OP's proposal (value wise) puts you in the discussion for quite a few top defenseman better than Subban.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
36 point Number 1 dman. Good luck with that. Subban sucked last season. He has a long way to go to be a number 1 or a franchise dman that MTL thinks he can become. But I was speaking strictly value.

If you want to keep a dman keep a dman. The OP's proposal (value wise) puts you in the discussion for quite a few top defenseman better than Subban.
Again, the bolded is clear evidence that you are clueless!!!

The OP's proposal may have value but it doesn't help the Habs - it hurts the Habs. We are already stocked with prospects and Filpulla is not enticing.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:

If you care to educate yourself, have a read of the article in the link below:

http://awinninghabit.com/2012/08/15/...-to-his-peers/

Old
01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:

Here's some more data to help edumucate you:

"Subban led his team in both relative Corsi and Corsi On, while playing against the second highest quality of competition (him and Josh Gorges did the heavy lifting by a long-shot) and, like most Montreal players, was forced to start way more shifts in the defensive than the offensive zone. I donít like to use +/- numbers because they often tell the wrong story, but if you look at player numbers with and without Subban, you see that Erik Cole was +22 while on the ice with Subban, Max Pacioretty was +15, Tomas Plekanec was -1 and David Desharnais was +22. Without, the four were, respectively -8, -9, -11 and -7."

Old
01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Here's some more data to help edumucate you:

"Subban led his team in both relative Corsi and Corsi On, while playing against the second highest quality of competition (him and Josh Gorges did the heavy lifting by a long-shot) and, like most Montreal players, was forced to start way more shifts in the defensive than the offensive zone. I don’t like to use +/- numbers because they often tell the wrong story, but if you look at player numbers with and without Subban, you see that Erik Cole was +22 while on the ice with Subban, Max Pacioretty was +15, Tomas Plekanec was -1 and David Desharnais was +22. Without, the four were, respectively -8, -9, -11 and -7."
Gosh he better sign soon If we wouldn't trade him for Yakupov (debatable really but shows how important he is to us) then why the hell would we even consider this?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
solo16

Quote:
LOL, Brendan Smith has nothing close to the Pedigree of Subban. Subban played for Canada's World Junior team, won gold and was on the tournament All-Star team. Dominated in the AHL.
While Subban was in Juniors Smith was competing for the Hobey Baker (as an under-ager and a defenseman. Being top 5 in the league in points (as a defenseman). Scoring more points than Justin Schultz ever did (to name drop)

They were the same draft class. Smith choose 20 spots earlier.

NHL production will probably be similar this year. Looking at the AHL and NHL playing/time games. But feel free to bring this up at the end of the season.

They both had good AHL. Subban's first year was better (though on a better team).

Subban is definitely ahead in development but Smith is one average (30 point) season from being right on the same level.

I do not think many gm's would trade the two because the only difference between the two is playing time (see less mistakes) and a little luck. How much is Subban's two years in the NHL really worth to a GM? A second? I think both GM's laugh at a deal with Subban and Smith at the heart.

I think Subban has struggled as a top pair defender. Looked to me like he badly needed to be hidden on the second pair again. Maybe this is his year.

In full disclosure, I expect Subban to break out to a true number 1 in the near future. Much like Smith he should end up a 45-50 point defenseman (at some point in the next 5 years). I like both players but I think they are both young and need to work on their complete game.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
While Subban was in Juniors Smith was competing for the Hobey Baker (as an under-ager and a defenseman. Being top 5 in the league in points (as a defenseman). Scoring more points than Justin Schultz ever did (to name drop)

They were the same draft class. Smith choose 20 spots earlier.

NHL production will probably be similar this year. Looking at the AHL and NHL playing/time games. But feel free to bring this up at the end of the season.

They both had good AHL. Subban's first year was better (though on a better team).

Subban is definitely ahead in development but Smith is one average (30 point) season from being right on the same level.

I do not think many gm's would trade the two because the only difference between the two is playing time (see less mistakes) and a little luck. How much is Subban's two years in the NHL really worth to a GM? A second? I think both GM's laugh at a deal with Subban and Smith at the heart.

I think Subban has struggled as a top pair defender. Looked to me like he badly needed to be hidden on the second pair again. Maybe this is his year.

In full disclosure, I expect Subban to break out to a true number 1 in the near future. Much like Smith he should end up a 45-50 point defenseman (at some point in the next 5 years). I like both players but I think they are both young and need to work on their complete game.
Read the articles to better educate yourself. You have no clue.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
solo16

Quote:
If you care to educate yourself, have a read of the article in the link below:

http://awinninghabit.com/2012/08/15/...-to-his-peers/
That was a good read. Thank you. Quite informative.

Surprised Subban is that good at PK (or at least his defensive pairing is). My opinion of Subban went up a fair bit today. I am not 100% believer in Corsi but they are helpful and a useful indicator.

Though I still stand by Smith vs. Subban is a hard trade for either side. I cant see detroit adding any significant value with those types of players. For example even if Det added a 1st it would not be enough for MTL. And Det probably would rather see what Smith can do.

I think you will be surprised by Smith. He went .5ppg in 14 games last season from the bottom of our lineup. (2nd pp 2nd/3rd pair). One of the best +- on the team in that stretch.