HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
A pro practice is probably beyond exhausting. And luckily for me, and you guys as well if they allow it, I got my birthday present early...A new camera.
yeah not trying to compare, just seems a little short for me, especially for a camp

well, thats great! it would be really cool to get some insight in a Hitch training for me

Old
01-12-2013, 03:00 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I think the lockout has hurt the young fringe players most of all. Guys like Grachev. He could have really benefited from a long camp to have a chance to establish himself as being worthy of a roster spot, and moving up the pecking order for call-ups. Its a different situation than being evaluated playing against AHL players with perhaps inferior linemates.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Pens fan coming in peace. I'd just like to say, the amount of talent on your F lines (as a whole) is sickening. Thank you, that is all. Enjoy your season.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:00 PM
ManyIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Pens fan coming in peace. I'd just like to say, the amount of talent on your F lines (as a whole) is sickening. Thank you, that is all. Enjoy your season.
We will definitely enjoy it

Old
01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
The amount of talent on OUR F lines?! Lol. It must be a real bummer to have three of the top 20 forwards in the league, including 2 of the top 3. That must be rough

Old
01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
stlweir

Hoping to make the Tuesday night scrimmage. Want to see Tarasenko and everyone for that matter.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:41 PM
STL Blues Fan

vCash: 630
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads
Finally got the word on the vote. Now just sign the MOU and teams can make trades 2 hours after that. And release the schedule already...

Old
01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
The amount of talent on OUR F lines?! Lol. It must be a real bummer to have three of the top 20 forwards in the league, including 2 of the top 3. That must be rough

Well no denying we're very fortunate to have Geno, Sid, and Neal but the drop-off from Neal is pretty steep, and he's pretty much pure shooter (not going to deke anyone carrying the puck or make a seeing eye pass). Kunitz is solid, Sutter is solid (but not primarily offensive)... after that it's parts is parts. I mean we have some outstanding grinders *cough* (Cooke, Dupuis) but uh... you guys basically have 3 "second lines" and a 3rd line. So while our best guys are pretty well tops (although with Tarasenko who knows in a couple years), your overall depth top to bottom is much better.

Hopefully if our one solid F prospect pans out this year or next (Bennett), we'll at least have two "full" top lines.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

JR just tweeted that the NHL schedule is coming out momentarily. That was at 9:17 PM

Old
01-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
STL rooks Jaden Schwartz and Vlad Tarasenko likely on separate lines. JS with Berglund-C Stewart. VT with Steen-McDonald. Steen playing C.

Random tweet from Bob.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
STL rooks Jaden Schwartz and Vlad Tarasenko likely on separate lines. JS with Berglund-C Stewart. VT with Steen-McDonald. Steen playing C.

Random tweet from Bob.
Any info from Bob McKenzie is a good thing. Also Darren Dreger.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Hitchcock: "I think, from a depth standpoint, <Sobotka> and D'Agostini are going to be really, really important players."
Where is this quote from?

I was thinking about it, and it made me think that Schwartz might have a spot on a line sooner than later (maybe already) and be a frequent rotation in and out with D'Agostini. Maybe D'Agostini starts the year in the press box???

I was of the opinion Schwartz would be in Peoria, but I'm starting to think that's not the case. That means that Porter/Reaves (one of them) is probably not going to make the roster. I believe they'd both be waiver players. I have to believe someone would snag either one of them off waivers.

This, and the defensive pairings, are the two most interesting stories coming into the first game. (Since Tarasenko's role seems to be pretty well established, I'm not counting that as a story. I'm just freaking excited to watch him play.)

Old
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Where is this quote from?

I was thinking about it, and it made me think that Schwartz might have a spot on a line sooner than later (maybe already) and be a frequent rotation in and out with D'Agostini. Maybe D'Agostini starts the year in the press box???

I was of the opinion Schwartz would be in Peoria, but I'm starting to think that's not the case. That means that Porter/Reaves (one of them) is probably not going to make the roster. I believe they'd both be waiver players. I have to believe someone would snag either one of them off waivers.

This, and the defensive pairings, are the two most interesting stories coming into the first game. (Since Tarasenko's role seems to be pretty well established, I'm not counting that as a story. I'm just freaking excited to watch him play.)

Reeves better make the roster and he better play a lot. He brings a lot to the table.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I like Reaves alot too but when I attended the informal skates on Thur and Fri, both days he seemed gassed after some of the drills. He didn't look out of shape, hes always been a big boy but just wasn't that energizer bunny we've seen of the past. Porter on the other hand was flying around all over the ice, very high energy. I think he realizes he is gonna be in a fight for that last spot and he is ready.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
BrainOfJ
Pure Bread

Green line (Langenbrunner) has looked great today so far

Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I like Reaves alot too but when I attended the informal skates on Thur and Fri, both days he seemed gassed after some of the drills. He didn't look out of shape, hes always been a big boy but just wasn't that energizer bunny we've seen of the past. Porter on the other hand was flying around all over the ice, very high energy. I think he realizes he is gonna be in a fight for that last spot and he is ready.
Well, ideally both Reaves and Porter would be on the club....but I think if you are trying to make room for Schwartz, with the idea of giving him the Perron rookie treatment (where he scratches every few games and rotate in D'Agostini or whoever) then you have to figure out a way to do it. Would they roll with just 6 D-men? That seems doubtful and unwise.

Nichol-Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves-Porter-D'Agostini

One of those guys isn't on the roster if Schwatz is. I think you can cross Sobotka and Langenbrunner off that list. After the quote I mentioned above, I think you can cross D'Agostini of the list, too (although that doesn't mean he's starting). Since Nichol is the projected center (though Sobotka could do it, too) I think he's got a spot unless he shows up out of shape or something.

I come back to Reaves/Porter fighting for the final roster spot. And really, it makes more sense to maximize Schwartz's development and contribution to the team at the expense of either of those guys, if that's the trade off. I love Reaves and Porter both. There were times last year when the 4th line was the sparkplug that got the team going, and I credit both of those players. I also happen to think both men have shown enough to deserve a full-time NHL job, but the roster doesn't seem to allow for it unless there's an injury or Schwartz goes to the AHL.

I don't favor a trade, as I think the forward depth is crucial, but it would suck to lose one of them to waivers. I think Porter is the more likely guy to get claimed, as I think Reaves is viewed more as a goon (but we know he is more than that).

Old
01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I thought of another way this could go down: someone gets put in IR. I'm not accusing the club of abusing the system, but lots of teams seem to drag out the process at times when they're in a spot like this. I won't be surprised at all if we see a player get injured in camp and placed on IR, preventing the team from having to make that last cut (temporarily).

Old
01-13-2013, 01:57 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I'm at the Blue Note Lounge, if anyone gets word of where Vladi is going to be, spread the word.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I chose...Wisely.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
stlweir

How was the crowd turn out?

Old
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
STL fan in IA

Practice lines/pairings today according to Louie Korac:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bergy-Stewart
D'ags-Sobotka-Reaves
Porter-Nichol-Langenbrunner

Russell-Petro
Jacks-Shatty
Cole-Polak
Woywitka-Chorney

Halak
Elliott

If Schwartz gets a spot in camp, I don't think that's good news for Porter.

The question is, do the Blues keep Schwartz if it means risking losing either Porter or Reaves via waivers?

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of those 15 guys gets injured this week meaning the Blues can simply put the injured player on IR thus saving them from having to make that decision for now.

Then again, Hitch may have completely different lines tomorrow. Who knows!

Old
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
how was the crowd turn out?

Old
01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
I really don't see Chris Porter playing that large a role on this team to be honest. If Schwartz is good enough to earn a spot out of camp, then sorry Chris and good luck elsewhere.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Mike Liut

Practice lines/pairings today according to Louie Korac:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bergy-Stewart
D'ags-Sobotka-Reaves

Porter-Nichol-Langenbrunner

Russell-Petro
Jacks-Shatty
Cole-Polak

Woywitka-Chorney

Halak
Elliott

Perfect.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
The question is, do the Blues keep Schwartz if it means risking losing either Porter or Reaves via waivers?
They're going to ice what they think is the best team. Porter has cleared waivers before, if he gets picked up by a team who will play him, good for him.

Closed Thread