HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 10 American Prospects for 2014 Draft

Old
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
americanscout09

vCash: 500
Top 10 American Prospects for 2014 Draft

Here is the second version of my top 10 American prospects for the 2014 Draft. (Please give feedbak and let me know what you think)

(January 13, 2013)
1. Blake Clarke (RW - Brampton Battalion)
2. Sonny Milano (LW - u17 USA NTDP)
3. Anthony Deangelo (D - Sarnia Sting)
4. Nick Schmaltz (C - Green Bay Gamblers USHL)
5. Thatcher Demko (G - u18 USA NTDP)
6. Jack Glover (D - u17 USA NTDP)
7. Shane Eiserman (C - u18 USA NTDP)
8. Shane Gersich (C - Holy Family)
9. Chris Wilkie (RW - u17 USA NTDP)
10. Dylan Larkin (LW - u17 USA NTDP)

HM: Ryan Macinnis, Kevin Lebanc, Chase Deleo, John Macleod

*Note* Jack Eichel is a 1996 birthyear but in the 2015 draft so he is not located on this list.

2nd Installment (October 23, 2012)
1. Anthony Deangelo (D - Sarnia Sting)
2. Nick Schmaltz (C - Green Bay Gamblers USHL)
3. Blake Clarke (RW Brampton Batalion)
4. Sonny Milano (C - u17 USA NTDP)
5. Chase Deleo (C - Portland Winterhawks)
6. Shane Gersich (C - Holy Family)
7. Keegan Iverson (C - Portland Winterhawks)
8. Jack Glover (D - u17 USA NTDP)
9. Thatcher Demko (G - u18 USA NTDP)
10. Ryan Macinnis (C - u17 NTDP)

Last edited by americanscout09: 01-13-2013 at 03:26 PM.
americanscout09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Duncan MacIntyre decided to play for Canada.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:22 PM
shello
@WShello9

Won't do top 10 since I don't know the American prospects as well but my top 5 would be

1. Blake Clarke
2. Nick Schmaltz
3. Chase DeLeo
4. Sony Milano
5. Ryan Macinnis

Deangelo hasn't been too good this year from what I've heard and little I've seen. So I don't have an opinion on him until I see more for myself.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
americanscout09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Won't do top 10 since I don't know the American prospects as well but my top 5 would be

1. Blake Clarke
2. Nick Schmaltz
3. Chase DeLeo
4. Sony Milano
5. Ryan Macinnis

Deangelo hasn't been too good this year from what I've heard and little I've seen. So I don't have an opinion on him until I see more for myself.
Yes Deangelo is very inconsistent and thats why he dropped in my rankings, BUT he showed flashes of what he can do offensively this year when he is confident and it is truly impressive.

And where did you see Macinnis play that you have him being so high? Because the multiple games i have watched he was just average.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanscout09 View Post
Yes Deangelo is very inconsistent and thats why he dropped in my rankings, BUT he showed flashes of what he can do offensively this year when he is confident and it is truly impressive.

And where did you see Macinnis play that you have him being so high? Because the multiple games i have watched he was just average.
That's the problem with Denagelo, I really liked him his rookie year, I just expected him to improve a lot this year, and so far at least he hasn't. He can be a dynamite offensive D, if he gets it all together, or maybe a change of scenery.

Whenever I do rankings like these, I tend to judge and favor the players I've seen live more, rather than what I've read. I've seen Macinnis more than the others, so I put him above.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

I'd throw Dylan Malmquist into this list as an HM. He plays on Connor Hurley's line at Edina and scored 49 points in 29 games last year as a Freshman.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=194899

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Duncan MacIntyre decided to play for Canada.
What was his connection to the US?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
What was his connection to the US?
Born in Chicago. Tried out for the NTDP.

01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I must be confused. I thought he was born in Nova Scotia. Oh well.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I must be confused. I thought he was born in Nova Scotia. Oh well.
He definitely has both citizenships. On the Q website it says he was born in Chicago.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
americanscout09

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
William H Bonney, what would be your top 10 American prospect list for the 2014 nhl draft?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

not sure why you have Chase De Leo dropping on your list as besides Blake Clarke and DeAngelo, he is the only one on that list playing at a higher level. And he will absolutely smash his first year numbers for Portland as he almost has the same point total as last season but in 27 less games. no reason for him to be behind some of the names you have ahead of him on the list.

Also like Eiserman and Gersich better than where you have them at..I think both are better than Milano imo..

Demko is too high. Kid is solid but I wouldnt have him where you do. Possible top 10 range for him, but thats my personal gripe with goalies as it is to difficult to rate them with skaters.

Keegan Iverson will take some heat for his u17 performance, but he still has more upside than a few of those kids on the list. Again, he is playing in the CHL and has the size right now to be an NHLer. He needs to get more consistent and get that confidence needed to be a player, but I think he still deserves a top 10 spot...likely 9th or 10th imo.

Pretty bad draft year for defense so far from this age group. DeAngelo is a late 95, but outside of Glover, there really isnt anyone to really even talk about yet as a top 45-50 player. A few will rise, hopefully Wesley being one of them, but at least there is some solid forwards that could go pretty highend.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
americanscout09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
not sure why you have Chase De Leo dropping on your list as besides Blake Clarke and DeAngelo, he is the only one on that list playing at a higher level. And he will absolutely smash his first year numbers for Portland as he almost has the same point total as last season but in 27 less games. no reason for him to be behind some of the names you have ahead of him on the list.

Also like Eiserman and Gersich better than where you have them at..I think both are better than Milano imo..

Demko is too high. Kid is solid but I wouldnt have him where you do. Possible top 10 range for him, but thats my personal gripe with goalies as it is to difficult to rate them with skaters.

Keegan Iverson will take some heat for his u17 performance, but he still has more upside than a few of those kids on the list. Again, he is playing in the CHL and has the size right now to be an NHLer. He needs to get more consistent and get that confidence needed to be a player, but I think he still deserves a top 10 spot...likely 9th or 10th imo.

Pretty bad draft year for defense so far from this age group. DeAngelo is a late 95, but outside of Glover, there really isnt anyone to really even talk about yet as a top 45-50 player. A few will rise, hopefully Wesley being one of them, but at least there is some solid forwards that could go pretty highend.
For Deleo i watched him play a few times this year and i feel as if he is overrated. Still great player and puts up good stats but I just think that Wilkie and Larkin passed him up with there u17 World Challenge play.

And yes Eiserman and Gersich are premier prospects but i dont know if they will develop to be as good as some of the players in the top 5 as they are filled out already and don't the skill set as the players in the top 5.

Demko could very well be the next great USA goalie.

And yes it is a very week year for defense but I feel that it is decently strong everywhere else.

What would your top 10 nhl prospects list look like for 2014 draft?

Old
01-14-2013, 09:05 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I've seen Ryan Macinnis play in high school multiple times, and I was not the least bit impressed. He's got a big frame, but that's about it. His shot is nothing special, his skating is not great(although most big, young guys do have skating issues) he doesn't really even seem to understand the game that well. This was a couple years ago, but I'd be surprised if he has improved much. He was not nearly the best player on the ice.

EDIT: I'm talking St. Louis high school hockey. Not exactly high quality.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I had a chance to see DeLeo when he played for the LA Selects. Just a great player and fun to watch. If his play with Portland is anything like it was while he was with the Selects (or better), then IMO he belongs in the top ten.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I had a chance to see DeLeo when he played for the LA Selects. Just a great player and fun to watch. If his play with Portland is anything like it was while he was with the Selects (or better), then IMO he belongs in the top ten.
It's quite similar, fiesty, skilled, and gritty player. His size really doesn't stop him from being physical, or even fighting. Speaking of the Selects, just played his former teammate in Liam Stewart last night.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanscout09 View Post
William H Bonney, what would be your top 10 American prospect list for the 2014 nhl draft?
At this point, something like this:

1) Blake Clarke (F - Brampton Battalion)
2) Nick Schmaltz (F - Green Bay Gamblers)
3) Sonny Milano (F - NTDP U17)
4) Shane Gersich (F - Holy Catholic)
5) Chris Wilkie (F - NTDP U17)
6) Jack Glover (D - NTDP U17)
7) Joe Wegwerth (F - NTDP U17)
8) Thatcher Demko (G - NTDP U18)
9) Anthony DeAngelo (D - Sarnia Sting)
10) Chase De Leo (F - Portland Winterhawks)

Notes:

- I really like Demko but it's hard to say where a goalie will go in the draft. He could end up going high as he'll have a chance to play a big role at BC in his draft year and really impress.

- This defense class is very weak. DeAngelo has elite offensive talent but he needs to reel in his recklessness and improve his defense (even by 17 year old standards). If he can, big riser but if not I expect he'll slide.

- I'm not sure what to make of De Leo. He has marginal size and has always played for a really strong Portland team so I think he could get discounted due to that but a big season next year on what should be a weaker Portland team could make him a riser. A real wild card IMO.

- I could see a lot of movement outside of what I consider the top 3. You could put Gersich in the Top 4 as he's highly touted but MN-HS hype always worries me.

- I don't see it yet with Keegan Iverson. He has some untapped skill but he has a long ways to go to live up to the hype he received as an 8th grade d-man at Breck. However, I could see him (at this point) going higher than he should due to his size. Ryan MacInnis is in the same boat for me but would go higher than he should due to his potential size and name.

- Eiserman is having a disappointing season so far this year but he could get back up the list with a strong second half.

- Dylan Larkin could be a riser as well. Not sure what happened with him as he started in the U17's top six and then was on the 4th line. He's still having a good statistical season and has the tools. One to watch.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 01-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:43 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

From the OP, switch De Leo with DeAngelo.

De Leo is a complete stud, playing good minutes on a very deep Winterhawks team and he will only grow from here.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:15 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
From the OP, switch De Leo with DeAngelo.

De Leo is a complete stud, playing good minutes on a very deep Winterhawks team and he will only grow from here.
I really like DeLeo but I think Blake Clarke is slightly better than him at the moment. Even though DeLeo has more natural skill.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Austin Poganski?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:05 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I really like DeLeo but I think Blake Clarke is slightly better than him at the moment. Even though DeLeo has more natural skill.
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean here considering I did not even mention Clarke. Though besides that I agree that Clarke is looking like the best American '14 at the moment.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
razor ray

This site has Americans at the following in the first round:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:59 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean here considering I did not even mention Clarke. Though besides that I agree that Clarke is looking like the best American '14 at the moment.
Yea after I re read it a day later I realized I wasn't sure what I was going on completely haha. But what I think I was trying to say is, you said DeLeo should be where Deangelo is, so meaning he'd be above Clarke who is 2nd. Agreed that Denagleo should be lower and DeLeo higher but I don't think he'd pass Clarke on the American depth chart for 2014 forwards.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Oh ok, I was talking about the January 13th list and not the October one.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:36 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Oh ok, I was talking about the January 13th list and not the October one.
Oh my mistake then!