HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
from @ArponBasu
#Habs say Gomez will be put on waivers, and once he clears he will not take a roster spot
--

Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
For the ones who feel bad for Gomez, think of it this way. Your boss just called you to tell you you suck at your job so dont bother showing up on monday, dont even bother calling service canada for unemployment checks, will still pay you to stay at home.... Ego down, money intact... Now add a couple zeros to what you're getting weekly and yeah, doesnt feel so bad does it...?
How does ANYONE feel bad for him? Next year, he gets bought out. Will likely sign maybe a 2 million dollar deal with another team. Gets two contracts. Two pay cheques.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
calder candidate

I understand it but not a fan of this move...
Even if he is insanely overpaid and not producing Gomez is a NHL caliber player. We don't have any better then in the AHL...
Unless he is some kind of distration or negative influence in the looker room I would of given him ±20 games playing the wing Eller line (Eller need fast winger) or in the AHL helping out the young player. after that if we were still unable to unload him would have sent him home.

I don't really like him as a player and I'm Glad to see his cap hit will disapear, but I have nothing against the guy it not is fault he sign a insane contract, no one really deserve the treatmement he received in the past years.

What if he decide to retire? Would we be on the hook for the cap hit?

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
For the ones who feel bad for Gomez, think of it this way. Your boss just called you to tell you you suck at your job so dont bother showing up on monday, dont even bother calling service canada for unemployment checks, will still pay you to stay at home.... Ego down, money intact... Now add a couple zeros to what you're getting weekly and yeah, doesnt feel so bad does it...?
LOL...well said.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Even one of the worst GM in the history of hockey in Houle made 2 nice trades. Thibault, Manson and Brown for mostly Hackett and Weinrich. That was pretty good. And even Malakhov for Souray was great. Gainey was obviously better.....but people using 1 trade to explain how great it ended up being....I can use 2 and act as if Houle was great as well....

There are some positives about Gainey. But I think that the worst is a hockey philosophy to which I will never understand. The guy won with the perfect mix in his team. His Habs were incredibly talented but has some grit and toughness to which he refused to adhere and then when he did make the worst choices possible.
Houle was also stuck with a management that wanted to sell all the expensive players. The rest of the league knew Montreal was selling over buying so it makes it hard to get good returns.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
If you send him to Hamilton, and it doesn't save you 7.3M in cap space, only 900K... what are the rangers doing with Redden?
The same thing.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
habsfanatics

I'm not a big fan of what's gone on today. I understand completely why it was done and so on, but I can't help but feel terrible for Gomez. His game had declined, but he's a great person. I just wish there were another way.

I still feel Gomez would be one of our top 12 forwards without a doubt, I see why MB did it and support his decision, but wish that there were other options.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Houle was also stuck with a management that wanted to sell all the expensive players. The rest of the league knew Montreal was selling over buying so it makes it hard to get good returns.
Milbury was far worse than Houle imo

Old
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder candidate View Post
I understand it but not a fan of this move...
Even if he is insanely overpaid and not producing Gomez is a NHL caliber player. We don't have any better then in the AHL...
Unless he is some kind of distration or negative influence in the looker room I would of given him ±20 games playing the wing Eller line (Eller need fast winger) or in the AHL helping out the young player. after that if we were still unable to unload him would have sent him home.

I don't really like him as a player and I'm Glad to see his cap hit will disapear, but I have nothing against the guy it not is fault he sign a insane contract, no one really deserve the treatmement he received in the past years.

What if he decide to retire? Would we be on the hook for the cap hit?
Sorry dude, if you're not a fan of this move then you don't understand it.

It's reassuring knowing that the management team are willing to act on the big picture stuff, makes losing in the present and immediate future easier to swallow.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Can't agree with that. Even if teams know you're selling, you could make every team in competition for whatever player you have to offer. And if your players are good players, offers will come. Houle and Co were just really bad at judging his own and the other players' value. Expect for those 2 trades.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

It's reassuring knowing that the management team are willing to act on the big picture stuff, makes losing in the present and immediate future easier to swallow.
Gotta agree here. This move is exactly what Bergevin said: It's a move that may not be easy to make, but it's in the long term interest of the habs. That's what we want our GM to be thinking about when he makes his decisions.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

I agree with this and feel that MB must of explored other avenues to try to accommodate Scott without success, but I can't help but have soft spot here for Gomez. It must be a terrible feeling knowing that you can't play the game you trained your entire life for.

I never liked him as a player, but admired him as a person. I just feel kind of ****** for him.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:25 PM
shutehinside

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/st...606528/photo/1

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I agree with this and feel that MB must of explored other avenues to try to accommodate Scott without success, but I can't help but have soft spot here for Gomez. It must be a terrible feeling knowing that you can't play the game you trained your entire life for.

I never liked him as a player, but admired him as a person. I just feel kind of ****** for him.
He COULD play hockey. He just has to agree to walk away from the contract. I'm pretty sure they can mutually agree to tear up the contract and all would be fine. He can also retire and then come back to void his contract. The only thing stopping Gomez from playing hockey is Gomez.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
from @ArponBasu
#Habs say Gomez will be put on waivers, and once he clears he will not take a roster spot
--

Nice

How does ANYONE feel bad for him? Next year, he gets bought out. Will likely sign maybe a 2 million dollar deal with another team. Gets two contracts. Two pay cheques.
+ it's only a 3 and a half months season anyway....

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He COULD play hockey. He just has to agree to walk away from the contract. I'm pretty sure they can mutually agree to tear up the contract and all would be fine. He can also retire and then come back to void his contract. The only thing stopping Gomez from playing hockey is Gomez.
This. I do feel bad for him in that it has to be a big blow to his ego. OTOH, he has to understand that he's not playing anywhere close to the caliber of hockey to justify his salary. That's just reality and has been for at least 2 years. So the choice is his: sit on his butt at home and take a big salary or renegotiate it and play hockey somewhere.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think you're wrong on the retiring part. I don't think that is an option at all for Gomez. As for tearing up his contract, sounds good in theory, but lets be honest here. Who in their right mind would do that? I'm not saying I'm home losing sleep over this, I just wish this **** would happen to players of lesser character. Gomez is a good guy and I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

The idea that he should just tear up his contract is not a realistic option for Gomez. Please try to look at this rationally and from Scott's perspective for five minutes.

I feel like the NHLPA screwed one of their own today. I'm not sure why they weren't adamant about the compliance buyouts being effective immediately. This all could have been avoided.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.
Well said.

Life is not all about the money.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Harder? Sure. Impossible? No.

Eric Lindros landed a pretty good return for the Nords.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think you're wrong on the retiring part. I don't think that is an option at all for Gomez. As for tearing up his contract, sounds good in theory, but lets be honest here. Who in their right mind would do that? I'm not saying I'm home losing sleep over this, I just wish this **** would happen to players of lesser character. Gomez is a good guy and I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

The idea that he should just tear up his contract is not a realistic option for Gomez. Please try to look at this rationally and from Scott's perspective for five minutes.

I feel like the NHLPA screwed one of their own today. I'm not sure why they weren't adamant about the compliance buyouts being effective immediately. This all could have been avoided.
You're missing the point - it's still HIS choice. He has to decide whether earning a big salary is worth not playing

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
DJ Breadman

I don't feel bad for the guy because it's his fault, he is not getting screwed here, He clearly stopped working on his game over the years and was just going though the motions, somewhere along the way he lost his passion for the game and was just collecting a pay check

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Well said.

Life is not all about the money.
Yup, but hockey is business. Gomez is a good guy, has handled everything with class.

Bergevin pretty much summed it up in his PC this morning: "It was a tough decision as a person".

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post

Well, I do feel bad for him and it's for the two reasons you cited.

But there's another reason not to feel bad for him. It's called 'accountability'.

As bad as I feel for the guy (and I really do feel bad for him) he is responsible for this. And I can see why some people wouldn't feel bad for him at all. Huge contract and didn't do what was necessary to keep playing hockey despite every opportunity. That's on him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Yup, but hockey is business. Gomez is a good guy, has handled everything with class.

Bergevin pretty much summed it up in his PC this morning: "It was a tough decision as a person".
Even that's debatable though. The guy would talk a good game and then do nothing. Is that 'class'? I don't know man... and really what could he say that was negative here? He was given every chance and did nothing. Of course the guy is going to say nice things, he scored 0 goals over 100 games and the team STILL kept playing him, what the heck can he say?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Craig71

Great news thanks to the new cba, I understand that he could get injured and thus the reason for sending him home. I wonder who else will get the axe? Bergevin knows what he wants for this team and it will be interesting to see what direction he takes us in. Happy salmon fishing Scottie.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Great news thanks to the new cba, I understand that he could get injured and thus the reason for sending him home. I wonder who else will get the axe? Bergevin knows what he wants for this team and it will be interesting to see what direction he takes us in. Happy salmon fishing Scottie.
Bourque, Kaberle and as much as it hurts me to say, Markov are "on a leash" in my opinion.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote