HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Couldn't agree more. I was against the idea of moving a Staal-type player but I'm good with a package of good prospects/picks for him. Lines of Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal gives us the best top 6 in the league.

Also, am I the only one that feels like its inevitable that Iginla becomes a Penguin? I've felt that way about three players over the past 7 years and a three ended up here haha

Hossa - Although I did think we'd have to move Staal for him

Ponikarovsky - I didn't listen to everyone that told me what a bad fit that would be and was so happy when it happened. Whoops!

Sullivan - Always thought he'd click with Sid well. He was okay and definitely helped the PP.
If he's moved this year, I see us being the favorite to get him. Expendable high end D assets, some NHL ready. Perfect for a team like Calgary to target.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I think Iggy has three years left in him to play elite hockey or just below that level.

I wouldn't be upset with anyone sent the other way aside from Morrow.

Thing is, I don't think Feaster will trade him, unless Iggy asks.
That's probably true. And that really doesn't seem like something he'll do. But who knows.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If he's moved this year, I see us being the favorite to get him. Expendable high end D assets, some NHL ready. Perfect for a team like Calgary to target.
and you would think that they would at least somewhat consider what he wants if moving him. He would probably be happy playing with Sid again. But ya, who knows.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
I think Iggy has three years left in him to play elite hockey or just below that level.

Agreed.

And I don't really know if the Penguins have anything (feasible) that the Flames would be interested in to pry their (by far) biggest offensive threat, captain and franchise player away from them. Regardless of his age and contract status.

Every fanbase tends to overrate their tradeable assets.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
AgentM

Quote:

Maybe we'll have a better idea of how Iggy feels about chasing a Cup soon enough:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cgy130110.html

It's pretty much just saying that they want Iginla to make a statement as to his intentions to minimize the media asking him every single day. Here's part of the article's speculation:

Quote:
According to the paper, Feaster has every intention of trying to sign Iginla to a new contract, but whether a deal can be ironed out remains to be seen. Feaster pointed out that he and Iginla's agent, Don Meehan, have enough time to hammer out a deal.

But as the Sun noted, Iginla didn't make the effort to start contract negotiations last summer, when the two sides could have started formal talks, leading to further speculation about his future in Calgary.

"All things in due course," said Feaster.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
That's probably true. And that really doesn't seem like something he'll do. But who knows.
He wants to win a cup badly I'd think, but he is such a class guy, I can't see him asking for a trade.

If Calgary really ***** the bed in the next couple of months, maybe Feaster decides to blow it up, but from hearing him talk, he isn't trading Iggy unless his hand is absolutely forced.

I'm not even sure he wouldn't just let the team move him for assets, then come back to them over the Summer. He is a pretty loyal guy from all I've read.

So you may give up a king's ransom for one playoff run. These assets could be better used for a more long term solution.

All that said, I think the world of Iggy on and off the ice.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Agreed.

And I don't really know if the Penguins have anything (feasible) that the Flames would be interested in to pry their (by far) biggest offensive threat, captain and franchise player away from them. Regardless of his age and contract status.

Every fanbase tends to overrate their tradeable assets.
Another factor is that Iginla has a NMC, so he could block trades that would be better for Calgary if they are to teams he's not interested in. Although I would think Iggy has such a good relationship with that team/city that he wouldn't want to screw them on the way out if he does leave.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, Hossa had just turned 29 when we got him. Big difference imo.
Because when you try to resign them (which I'd assume we'd do with almost any DL trade that we just gave up big assets for), you don't want them to be 35-36 with maybe 2 years left (if that) at an elite level.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Because when you try to resign them (which I'd assume we'd do with almost any DL trade that we just gave up big assets for), you don't want them to be 35-36 with maybe 2 years left (if that) at an elite level.
we didn't re-sign Hossa and it was still a great trade. Deadline rental deals are made to win now. if you can re-sign them after, all the better. It sounds like you are just against the idea of a rental.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Iginla is still really freaking good. I don't care if he's 35. Why does that even matter for a deadline pickup?
At some point, people are going to need to decide what the priority for the Pens should be: To hold onto all of these high prospects and picks in the hope that three of them might make a significant impact before Geno turns 30 OR to use them as chips to put Sid and Geno into the best possible position to win a cup every year.

No offense, but Shero moved two Kennedy-esque role players, a 1st, and his previous year's 1st (who was not a bust at that point) for a rental and a 2nd and a 4th for a year and a quarter of Hal Gill (who at the time was ******* the bed on ice).

The circumstances THEN were exactly the same as the circumstances at last year's trade deadline . . . Sid coming back from injury, but Malkin had 'claimed' his wingers. Sid was going to need help, and the Pens needed a steady presence on defense.

You know, as I've said before, the REAL question here should be which Shero we're going to get, the one who would wheel, deal, and take risks to win now before the Pens won the cup or the one who's only real 'risky' trade the three subsequent seasons was moving his #5 defenseman for a scoring line winger and a replacement #5 defenseman.

The former will make a deal for Iginla. The latter won't. It's that simple.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I don't care if he lasts a few more years. Give me 2-4 months.
Exactly. Anything beyond a playoff run would be gravy...though I don't doubt Iggy would be amenable to re-signing if we did land him. He's never played on a perennial contender or with an elite center, and he has the character to get along great in the room.

Like Jig says though, it all comes down to whether Feaster is willing to blow it up. I'm sure we'd have the pieces to get it done.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Calgary, from what I recall, also was the other team at the draft really high on Pouliot. Just saying . . .

Old
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
BeauKnows19

Do you guys think Lupul would be a trade option? I think he's a ufa at the end of the season, so if they're out of the playoffs he might become available.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
At some point, people are going to need to decide what the priority for the Pens should be: To hold onto all of these high prospects and picks in the hope that three of them might make a significant impact before Geno turns 30 OR to use them as chips to put Sid and Geno into the best possible position to win a cup every year.

No offense, but Shero moved two Kennedy-esque role players, a 1st, and his previous year's 1st (who was not a bust at that point) for a rental and a 2nd and a 4th for a year and a quarter of Hal Gill (who at the time was ******* the bed on ice).

The circumstances THEN were exactly the same as the circumstances at last year's trade deadline . . . Sid coming back from injury, but Malkin had 'claimed' his wingers. Sid was going to need help, and the Pens needed a steady presence on defense.

You know, as I've said before, the REAL question here should be which Shero we're going to get, the one who would wheel, deal, and take risks to win now before the Pens won the cup or the one who's only real 'risky' trade the three subsequent seasons was moving his #5 defenseman for a scoring line winger and a replacement #5 defenseman.

Agreed. And honestly, I don't know if Shero has the security to play it safe again after the last two years.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Calgary, from what I recall, also was the other team at the draft really high on Pouliot. Just saying . . .
Really?

Probably a bad sign for Pouliot's potential, then.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
AgentM

Quote:
The stars are aligning...

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
done and done

Old
Oxide

vCash: 50
Quote:

I might be mistaken but wasn't it Lemieux who pressured Shero into trading for Hossa?

Old
01-13-2013, 12:46 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
Do you guys think Lupul would be a trade option? I think he's a ufa at the end of the season, so if they're out of the playoffs he might become available.
Possibly. A new GM in Toronto makes it tough to predict who they'd be willing to deal.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
we didn't re-sign Hossa and it was still a great trade. Deadline rental deals are made to win now. if you can re-sign them after, all the better. It sounds like you are just against the idea of a rental.
You know, it's not like it couldn't have blown up in Shero's face either. Hossa could've gotten hurt. The Pens could've been one and done. The 1st could've been a major player by now. Espo could've not become a top six forward.

Now, everything worked out in the Pens favor so completely that it's great. But, nothing says you get Iggy and it's a home run.

That said, for me, it's all about Sid and Geno winning now, not having six, instead of four or five, high end organizational assets who potentially could make a significant impact in three years.

We've seen how the last three years have played out. You don't throw away an opportunity to win now because it might be a little harder to win in three years.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
I might be mistaken but wasn't it Lemieux who pressured Shero into trading for Hossa?
Shero was indecisive. Lemieux pushed him to do it. Whether Shero would've done it without the push is debatable.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Really?

Probably a bad sign for Pouliot's potential, then.
Ouch . . .

Old
01-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You know, it's not like it couldn't have blown up in Shero's face either. Hossa could've gotten hurt. The Pens could've been one and done. The 1st could've been a major player by now. Espo could've not become a top six forward.

Now, everything worked out in the Pens favor so completely that it's great. But, nothing says you get Iggy and it's a home run.

That said, for me, it's all about Sid and Geno winning now, not having six, instead of four or five, high end organizational assets who potentially could make a significant impact in three years.

We've seen how the last three years have played out. You don't throw away an opportunity to win now because it might be a little harder to win in three years.
that's obviously the risk that comes with a rental.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Shero was indecisive. Lemieux pushed him to do it. Whether Shero would've done it without the push is debatable.
Shero has actually been pretty active near the deadline, overall. Probably one of the most active GMs out there on that front, as much as we wanted more movement last season.

He doesn't sit on his hands nearly as much as some people want to believe.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:53 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Shero has actually been pretty active near the deadline, overall. Probably one of the most active GMs out there on that front, as much as we wanted more movement last season.

He doesn't sit on his hands nearly as much as some people want to believe.
Last year?

You know, I posed this question elsewhere, and I'll ask you now:

Hossa deal: Big risk.

Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi: Also a risk, in that the deal was made hoping Letang was ready to step up.

After the Pens won the cup, name one deal, aside from the one with Staal that he had no choice to make, that could have been considered from the Pens perspective a risk.

Closed Thread