HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Going to the home opener. Anything we can do to show our disdain?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
  #1
notHiro
Registered User
 
notHiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Going to the home opener. Anything we can do to show our disdain?

A friend and I are going to the home opener the 20th against the Flyers. I know most ideas of a protest at the game were shot down, but I would think there has to be something we can do to at least show our disappointment about all the time lost due to the lockout. I already plan on not buying merchandise or concessions, and going to a local place after the game (perhaps Cobblestone, I know they've been hurting during the lockout) to help support places that have been negatively impacted, but I feel like, especially since the game is going to be nationally televised, there should be something more.

I always liked the idea that happened in Sweden where the fans were silent for the first 10 minutes of their game, and I believe someone had an idea for fans to turn their backs for the first x amount of minutes of the game. I just don't think it's possible to organize this on a large scale in such short notice, so I'm looking for other ideas.

notHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  #2
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by notHiro View Post
A friend and I are going to the home opener the 20th against the Flyers. I know most ideas of a protest at the game were shot down, but I would think there has to be something we can do to at least show our disappointment about all the time lost due to the lockout. I already plan on not buying merchandise or concessions, and going to a local place after the game (perhaps Cobblestone, I know they've been hurting during the lockout) to help support places that have been negatively impacted, but I feel like, especially since the game is going to be nationally televised, there should be something more.

I always liked the idea that happened in Sweden where the fans were silent for the first 10 minutes of their game, and I believe someone had an idea for fans to turn their backs for the first x amount of minutes of the game. I just don't think it's possible to organize this on a large scale in such short notice, so I'm looking for other ideas.


I paid good money for my seats. I'm just going to enjoy the game.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
  #3
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I paid good money for my seats. I'm just going to enjoy the game.
same here

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
  #4
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
^ Thirded

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
  #5
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
just watch the game, if I went to a game their would be nothing more annoying that an idiot trying to cause a scene over the lockout all game.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  #6
BUFSABES1981
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Just be happy hockeys back. Ive been starving for this. At least there is season.

BUFSABES1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
  #7
Disengage
Registered User
 
Disengage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Wearing my Amerks jersey. That's enough of a protest.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
  #8
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,996
vCash: 500
I wanna go. How much were tix... and just enjoy the game!!!

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:06 PM
  #9
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by notHiro View Post
I already plan on not buying merchandise or concessions
Yet you bought game tickets...way to stick it to the man.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:09 PM
  #10
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Yet you bought game tickets...way to stick it to the man.
Kind of hard to stick it to the man when the season ticket holders have already spent their money. The only ones that could stick it to the man would be the people not buying single game tickets.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
  #11
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Kind of hard to stick it to the man when the season ticket holders have already spent their money. The only ones that could stick it to the man would be the people not buying single game tickets.
If you were that upset, you could have cancelled your tickets, I'm sure they were allowing it.

I get what the OP is saying, but if you're going to the arena, your protests are hollow.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
  #12
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
If you were that upset, you could have cancelled your tickets, I'm sure they were allowing it.

I get what the OP is saying, but if you're going to the arena, your protests are hollow.
Cancelling your season tickets would be akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face as its a several year waiting list.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  #13
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
If you really wanted to protest, you wouldn't go.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
  #14
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 200
Boo them when they come out on the ice for a good minute or so. Let's em' know you're there. Maybe it will make them think twice about the next CBA.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:41 PM
  #15
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Please cancel. I want to move up waiting list

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
  #16
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Boo them when they come out on the ice for a good minute or so. Let's em' know you're there. Maybe it will make them think twice about the next CBA.
It's a short season, one that could lead to a deep playoff run... The next CBA is 10 years away... support them.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
  #17
Jeremy2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,566
vCash: 500
It's over. Move on.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM
  #18
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,237
vCash: 500
Awards:
Make a sign: "The owners got the mine, the players got the gold, the fans got the shaft. Don't do it again you greedy ********."

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
  #19
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Constant Mediocrity
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
give me your tickets ... that'll show those capitalist fatcats!!!

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  #20
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
I think that neither players nor owner care much about any protest. It was all about money and that's how things work in this business.


Last edited by Salzig: 01-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:17 PM
  #21
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,486
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I think that neither players nor owner care much about any protest. It was all about money and that's how things work in business.
Fixed.

For all the talk about the owners and the players being selfish, a lot of the attitude I see coming from many fans is no less selfish ("they owe US [me], WE [I] pay them"... for services already rendered). Being selfish is fine, but being hypocritical about it is another matter. At least when the owners and players are being selfish, it's over their lives and livelihood.

This isn't directed at you of course nor anyone here specifically.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
  #22
Circusboy39
Registered User
 
Circusboy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
I'm not advocating it, but I've seen it done at a soccer game where a team's supporters group bought a whole bunch of fake money from like Party City or something, stood over the tunnel to the field, and when the team came out for introductions dumped it on their heads. I'm thinking that would get someone's attention.

Circusboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  #23
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!
 
Pyro Kinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Boo them when they come out on the ice for a good minute or so. Let's em' know you're there. Maybe it will make them think twice about the next CBA.
Yeah, one guy booing is going to make one hell of a statement.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
  #24
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
Yeah, one guy booing is going to make one hell of a statement.
Agree, but more than one will boo....

The facts are, booing the players will do nothing other than embarrass the booers....

The Sabres are ranked 12th in NHL preseason rankings, they could make the finals in this short season behind the best goalie in the league...

I say go for the damn CUP!!!! Don't boo....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
  #25
Clock
Moderator
 
Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 19,867
vCash: 500
Well, I question the effectiveness of showing disdain if you're still buying the product, but I'd just say make a sign and explicitly call out who you're pissed at. PA? Fehr? Bettman? Pegula?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.