HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
habsfanatics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
You're missing the point - it's still HIS choice. He has to decide whether earning a big salary is worth not playing
I think it's all you guys who are missing the point. First, someone offers a scenario that isn't even a possibility. IE, retiring, and then signing elsewhere, umm, no. Can't happen, isn't an option, and 2 give up his millions to maybe be signed somewhere else. There is no guarantee anyone would take him even if he tore up his contract, which tbh is a ludicrous expectation.

I feel bad for him, that is all. None of you know better, hardliners are going to change my mind.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:44 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.

Alriggghty then

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:45 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

#Habs waste no time moving forward when a player departs. Gomez's stall, beside friend Gionta, has blank nameplate http://yfrog.com/esjvskoj

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.
Very Taylor/Sandel like. Do we ever have a philosophical bad ass here.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think you're wrong on the retiring part. I don't think that is an option at all for Gomez. As for tearing up his contract, sounds good in theory, but lets be honest here. Who in their right mind would do that? I'm not saying I'm home losing sleep over this, I just wish this **** would happen to players of lesser character. Gomez is a good guy and I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

The idea that he should just tear up his contract is not a realistic option for Gomez. Please try to look at this rationally and from Scott's perspective for five minutes.

I feel like the NHLPA screwed one of their own today. I'm not sure why they weren't adamant about the compliance buyouts being effective immediately. This all could have been avoided.
It's possible the retiring loophole doesn't exist anymore, I admit. As others have said, though, there are things more important than money. Those disagreeing with the decision to basically keep the lock-out alive in Gomez' case are arguing that it's a shame to keep a hockey player from playing hockey. My argument is simply that nobody is keeping him from playing hockey. It just depends on what his priorities are. If his number one priority is playing hockey, then the choice is simple.

I'm not going to shed a tear for him when a phone call or two could get him back on the ice. However, I do agree with ayotollah that we shouldn't underestimate how hard it might be for someone who has only known one thing to be thrown out of the club. He CAN, however, work his way back in through the right decisions. Lets use some of that rationality you prescribed to look at Gomez' financial situation and agree that he's made more than even most elite NHL players, he won't miss the last few million.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I don't feel bad for the guy because it's his fault, he is not getting screwed here, He clearly stopped working on his game over the years and was just going though the motions, somewhere along the way he lost his passion for the game and was just collecting a pay check
Excellent point. This is a case where a guy got way over paid and took advantage of the situation. There is no way he forgot how to play the game, Gomez was dominant with New Jersey, I remember the great series they had with the Leafs, the one where Domi suckered Niedermayer at the end of a game. Gomez was a shut down forward and he was awesome for the Devils. Glen Sather offers him a ridiculous deal and he takes it, heck I would too. He lost his drive shortly after that or rule changes forced him to be less of a player than he used to be. When he is officially bought out this summer, don't be suprised to see him end up back with uncle Lou, at probably 500k-1mill. That is his most likely destination.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Andy

on a side note: i cannot ****ing stand when HF has adds that pop up and cover your whole ****ing screen. **** its fustrating

Old
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
on a side note: i cannot ****ing stand when HF has adds that pop up and cover your whole ****ing screen. **** its fustrating
Become a mod or donate.

Feels good, man.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Become a mod or donate.

Feels good, man.
I think I may just donate, since I will probably never be a mod.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Feel bad for the guy? this guy has received how many millions over his career and is now getting a free pacheque to take a extended vacation (some could argue his vacation started a year after he joined us :p). This guy is loaded. Feel sorry for him? that's messed up. If he really wants to play hockey, he will (Terminate his contract and look for a job elsewhere). If he doesn't then he is choosing money over hockey. Simple as that, end of story. How many of us would turn down an extended paid vacation? Sympathy? nah

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Feel bad for the guy?
I feel bad for any player who is told they cannot play.

I hope they find a way to let him finish the year in Alaska without it creating issue for the buyout.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

#Habs waste no time moving forward when a player departs. Gomez's stall, beside friend Gionta, has blank nameplate http://yfrog.com/esjvskoj

If Galchenyuk makes the team, that's his spot right there.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Feel bad for the guy? this guy has received how many millions over his career and is now getting a free pacheque to take a extended vacation (some could argue his vacation started a year after he joined us :p). This guy is loaded. Feel sorry for him? that's messed up. If he really wants to play hockey, he will (Terminate his contract and look for a job elsewhere). If he doesn't then he is choosing money over hockey. Simple as that, end of story. How many of us would turn down an extended paid vacation? Sympathy? nah
Is money all that matters to you?

If you won the lottery would you quit your job?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Kjell Dahlin

After reading what Mckenzie had to say (thanks to HawkeyeCB), this is not really surprising.

After Subban's never ending contract negotiations, Leblanc's elastics, Cole acting like a spoiled teenager... finally a good news! The risk of him getting injured and us getting stuck with him next season was too high.

One last time: thank you Gainey for shipping out assets (McDonagh and Valentenko) to replace Koivu by Gomez. I thought it was impossible to do worse than Ribeiro for Niinima... I was wrong. The end of an era; time to move on.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
If Galchenyuk makes the team, that's his spot right there.
I'm both excited and not looking forward to seeing Galchenyuk in action. You guys have a great player with skill and heart; not much more to ask for in a player.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
AntonCH

All i can say is:

YES Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!!

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
habsfanatics

I'm kind of surprised here tbh. After all, I had been told that Scott's value would be at an all time high around now, when all these cap floor teams come beating down the door for him.

What happened?

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I feel bad for any player who is told they cannot play.

I hope they find a way to let him finish the year in Alaska without it creating issue for the buyout.

Not sure why people are all of the sudden feeling sorry for this situation. It happens all the time. Do you feel sorry for Darche? Campoli? they are pretty much being told that they can't cut it on this roster anymore either and were not offered contract renewals. Older players tend to lose skill over time, some more than others. How many vet players lose their place in the league even though they still have a desire to play? It's a part of the business, this is no different. Sucks for them, but Gomez has one thing that most of the other 99.99% players in a similar situation don't have, a paycheque.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
I'm both excited and not looking forward to seeing Galchenyuk in action. You guys have a great player with skill and heart; not much more to ask for in a player.
Well don't feel too bad, you guys have a heck of a player in Rielly

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Its time to finally close the books on this nightmare!

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
PK76

Liked the guy, hated the player (except for his first season in Montreal). I'm sure even he hated making that much money at one point. It killed his chances to succeed here.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
So many shallow comments on here wow. First off Gomez does not have to prove to anyone that he has passion for hockey. If he truly was only in it for the money then do you think he would have signed with the ****ing Alaska Aces? The only thing you and other people on here are thinking about is the money. He is a human being not a piece of meat.

I know this should happen and I agree with the move but at the same time I am worried for him. I just hope he takes the positive out of this and doesn't have to deal with us (fans) anymore and media. I've read that in the last couple on years he had developed depression and alcoholism. This isn't confirmed but there's lots of speculation and articles on it. This is why I'm worried.

Anyone saying he lost his passion for the game knows nothing. i don't care how much money you make if you lose your job and a job that you love then its devastating.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Slashers98

Scott Gomez Sent Home by the Canadiens:
http://thehockeywriters.com/scott-go...the-canadiens/

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Not sure why people are all of the sudden feeling sorry for this situation. It happens all the time. Do you feel sorry for Darche? Campoli? they are pretty much being told that they can't cut it on this roster anymore either and were not offered contract renewals. Older players tend to lose skill over time, some more than others. How many vet players lose their place in the league even though they still have a desire to play? It's a part of the business, this is no different. Sucks for them, but Gomez has one thing that most of the other 99.99% players in a similar situation don't have, a paycheque.
Yeah, it's never good for a player to be unable to find a job but it's always worse to have a job and be told you can't do it.

Part of the business or not, you can still empathize.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Such a terrible trade. It will take me a while to get over that one.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote