HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Stewart, picks to LA for Kevin Westgarth

Old
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Like I mentioned in the other thread, standard jr to add picks or prospects to trades that don't seem to need it. Good to clear out stew and get a guy clearly designed for the fourth line.

Thought Blanchard was supposed to get a look at that role at some point.

Wasn't cole a 4th as well?
Late 3rd.

Edit: actually, mid 3rd. Would be early 3rd now with expansion adding to the early rounds (#71OA).

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
FlyingSquirrels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Why do we have to add to these deals? Like I understand it's not much to ***** about, Alt may not ever play in the NHL and a 4th and a 6th aren't going to get great talent, but it just makes no sense.
I totally agree with this. I understand the trades..but why throw in a 4th and Alt??

Can someone explain?

And saying our draft picks are worthless cause we suck at drafting is utterly ridiculous.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Brock Anton
panthers #badnwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I totally agree with this. I understand the trades..but why throw in a 4th and Alt??

Can someone explain?
Probably as a thank you for taking the dead weight off our hands.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Like I mentioned in the other thread, standard jr to add picks or prospects to trades that don't seem to need it. Good to clear out stew and get a guy clearly designed for the fourth line.

Thought Blanchard was supposed to get a look at that role at some point.

Wasn't cole a 4th as well?
Cole was a 3rd.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Hockey's Future, where late round draft picks are ALWAYS the most important part of any deal.
Yeah, good God. It's like arguing with a brick wall that trading two late round picks doesn't suddenly make it worth a second round pick. Not that anyone has outright said that, but the way some of them are talking about JR getting ripped off makes it seem that way.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Probably as a thank you for taking the dead weight off our hands.
Suppose so...But I didn't think Westgard was worth so much we had to sweeten the pot!

Anyways, good to jettison Bouch and Stewart. Ellis will do just fine. Hate to lose Alt for what seems to be nothing though.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
bleedgreen

Not saying we got "ripped off". Just saying jr has a history of throw ins on trades that seems generous. It does erode depth overall.

Ain't the end of the world, but it gets old. Two picks for a guy who can barely skate but adds "leadership and grit" to the room. Fourth rounders aren't nothing. I'm not upset, unsurprised really. Jr picks his target and pays whatever it takes to get it. Plenty of history of this.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

You guys paid allot for Westy but the guy can play hockey a bit and has more skill than your average 4th liner. He really never got a great shot to showcase anything more than his fighting under Terry Murray and I don't really remember him playing at all under DSutter so I think that given the chance he might turn a few heads.

He is a better than average fighter, not special but good enough to go with anyone and more than hold his own. He can skate a bit, not fast but not slow either. He is a smart two way player and good in the corners, not great but good.

I would say that his upside is a solid 4rth liner who won't hurt you anywhere and has the added benefit of being a solid enforcer as well. He can hit like a train now and then too.

You paid allot to get him but the guy is more than a goon and I think that you guys will be happy with him. Give him a season to continue his development with the team and he could surprise a couple of people a little bit.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Joe McGrath

List of Canes 4th round picks since 2001:

2001: Rob Zepp - 0 NHL Games
2002: None
2003: Aaron Dawson - 0 NHL Games
Kevin Natsiuk - 0 NHL Games
2004: Brett Carson - 56 NHL Games
2005: Jacob Vojta - 0 NHL Games
2006: Bobby Hughes - 0 NHL Games
2007: Justin McCrae - 0 NHL Games
2008: Michal Jordan - 0 NHL Games
2009: None
2010: Justin Shugg - 0 NHL Games
2011: Gregory Hoffman - 0 NHL Games

I don't think JR got the best value in this deal at all, but I also don't think he values a 4th round pick at all.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Brock Anton
panthers #badnwagon

I don't value a 4th round pick either.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Not saying we got "ripped off". Just saying jr has a history of throw ins on trades that seems generous. It does erode depth overall.

Ain't the end of the world, but it gets old. Two picks for a guy who can barely skate but adds "leadership and grit" to the room. Fourth rounders aren't nothing. I'm not upset, unsurprised really. Jr picks his target and pays whatever it takes to get it. Plenty of history of this.
Trust me I'm right there with you on this. Honestly, it annoys me more that JR DOESN'T sell off assets as much as he probably should in a down season. IE: Allen last year. I realize we got to within 5 points of a playoff spot in March after a horrid start, but as far back as we were at the deadline a move had to be made. Instead JR stayed put. And aside from the seasons that are always total abortions he always stays as is instead of trying to get assets.

The real confusing thing in that regard is that the Canes have drafted quite well in the 2nd and 3rd round of late: McBain, Dumoulin, Faulk, Di Giuseppe, Rask, Lowe, Dalpe, Levi, Biega, Bowman, and Alt.

I have no problem trading off a 4th and a 6th though, statistically it's less then a 25% chance that we gave up a future NHLer with the 4th, and the 6th is even worse odds.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Quacktastic
Ooh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
You guys paid allot for Westy but the guy can play hockey a bit and has more skill than your average 4th liner. He really never got a great shot to showcase anything more than his fighting under Terry Murray and I don't really remember him playing at all under DSutter so I think that given the chance he might turn a few heads.

He is a better than average fighter, not special but good enough to go with anyone and more than hold his own. He can skate a bit, not fast but not slow either. He is a smart two way player and good in the corners, not great but good.

I would say that his upside is a solid 4rth liner who won't hurt you anywhere and has the added benefit of being a solid enforcer as well. He can hit like a train now and then too.

You paid allot to get him but the guy is more than a goon and I think that you guys will be happy with him. Give him a season to continue his development with the team and he could surprise a couple of people a little bit.
I like to hear this opinion, but almost all other LAK fans are saying that Westgarth is a goon, and a bad one at that. I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Joe McGrath

I watched two of his fights on youtube and he threw more body punches than I think I've ever seen in any hockey fight. I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AntonFromAppState
Hurricaniac

I can finally unfollow him on twitter.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll...

can't wait to see him play.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
MollerManor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I watched two of his fights on youtube and he threw more body punches than I think I've ever seen in any hockey fight. I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Well, as far as effort is concerned, you got one of the best in the bunch. As far as skill, not so much. He certainly is entertaining to watch from a goon perspective fighting young and/or smaller guys, as I remember in a pre-season game him breaking someone's jaw, but against other veteran goons he had a tougher time. He has taking his share of bad penalties in the past, but nothing too excessive.

Did you overpay? Yes, absolutely. Most kings fans will tell you a 6th rounder alone would have been a stretch for Westie. But I guess overpayment is a thing pulling players from the cup champions. (which we would know nothing about.)

MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Moosetache

Send a message via AIM to Moosetache Send a message via Yahoo to Moosetache
Well, I am glad we got some toughness on the team, but looking thru his fight log on hockeyfights....looks like he has gotten the W in about 20 percent of his fights. I guess he should fit right in on the team then.

Moosetache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Surrounded By Ahos
Keep firing, Ahos!

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
Wasn't Peters humpy dawg?
OH you're right...Eh Stews humpy tendencies had me thinking it was him for some reason.

Surrounded By Ahos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
I like to hear this opinion, but almost all other LAK fans are saying that Westgarth is a goon, and a bad one at that. I'm not going to get my hopes up.
Understandable. I seem to see things differently than most of my fellow Kings fans most of the time on these things but I tend to get it right more often than not too.

Time will tell, I would just say that he is better than you are reading around the boards but ideally suited to be on your 4rth line and be a good one at that given a full season to develop his overall game. He fought allot when he first came up and did so with busted knuckles most of the time. Once he got healthy hands he was solid with anyone but thats how it goes with enforcers.

At the end of this season I think that you guys won't be worried about having made this deal at all and neither will the Kings. I see it as a win win with the 6th being a little bit extra. The picks are pretty big value from a Kings perspective because our scouting staff has done a solid job over the past few years at digging up gems in the later rounds.

Should work out well for both teams.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
semin4captain

So Westgarth's wife is from Raleigh and Boucher's family lives in Philadelphia?

What's JR's job again? To run a hockey team or to make insignificant hockey players happy? We basically gave up a 4th, 6th and Alt so JR can feel good about himself.

At least we don't ever have to watch Stewart play hockey again.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Well, I am glad we got some toughness on the team, but looking thru his fight log on hockeyfights....looks like he has gotten the W in about 20 percent of his fights. I guess he should fit right in on the team then.
Still a better fighter than Kostopoulos was

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
So Westgarth's wife is from Raleigh and Boucher's family lives in Philadelphia?

What's JR's job again? To run a hockey team or to make insignificant hockey players happy? We basically gave up a 4th, 6th and Alt so JR can feel good about himself.

At least we don't ever have to watch Stewart play hockey again.
He's trying to clear out a log jam of players who aren't going anywhere with the Canes, why not be nice to them when shipping them out for the same nothings they'd get from any team in the league?

As much as JR's family attitude gets mocked around here, it really affect the culture of the team, and helps us draw and keep players we otherwise might not. Yeah, sometimes it goes a little to far (AWard and Corvo), but we're a small market team, and that kind of relationship with the organization is one of the few things we can really market to players.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

vCash: 1365
I really don't know much about this guy but JR mentioned in the off-season he was looking for a "tough guy" to protect guys like Skinner. I guess this is the tough guy he was looking for.

Plus since he is married to Bill Cowhers daughter, it only makes sense as to keep the good ole boys club going.

I'm sure Cam Ward is going to miss Stewart.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Trust me I'm right there with you on this. Honestly, it annoys me more that JR DOESN'T sell off assets as much as he probably should in a down season. IE: Allen last year. I realize we got to within 5 points of a playoff spot in March after a horrid start, but as far back as we were at the deadline a move had to be made. Instead JR stayed put. And aside from the seasons that are always total abortions he always stays as is instead of trying to get assets.

The real confusing thing in that regard is that the Canes have drafted quite well in the 2nd and 3rd round of late: McBain, Dumoulin, Faulk, Di Giuseppe, Rask, Lowe, Dalpe, Levi, Biega, Bowman, and Alt.

I have no problem trading off a 4th and a 6th though, statistically it's less then a 25% chance that we gave up a future NHLer with the 4th, and the 6th is even worse odds.
Dead on. Pay more for what you want, and refuse to get assets for what you're about to lose for nothing.

It's just a fourth rounder, hardly a first. Still looks unnecassary.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
He had a really good 2011 playoffs. He never really got a chance in LA. There is some possible upside here.

Also, he's not good at fighting, or terrible. Which makes his fights entertaining.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote