HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hickey (NYI) & Clune (NSH) Claimed from Waivers

Old
01-13-2013, 12:31 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

vCash: 500
Hickey (NYI) & Clune (NSH) Claimed from Waivers

via twitter

Quote:
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL

CONFIRMED: #LAKings prospects Andrew Campbell, Marc Andre Cliche, Rich Clune + Thomas Hickey will be hitting NHL waiver wire. #hockeyisback

Surprised Dean chose Muzzin over Hickey! Hickey has completely outplayed him this season in Manchester.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
johnjm22

I figured Hickey would be gone sooner or later, but I thought it would be via trade. I guess no teams were willing to give up assets for him.

I won't be surprised if he succeeds somewhere else in the NHL.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Sad state of affairs. Part of the business though.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:37 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
My only guess is Muzzin is more of a stay at home and since Willie is out Deans wants him

son of earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of earl View Post
My only guess is Muzzin is more of a stay at home and since Willie is out Deans wants him
Dennis Bernstein and the Fourth Period keep saying we're in the market for a Dman

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I expect the Oilers will claim him.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Shootmaster_44

Why did they do this? Was this a case where this was necessary to send them back to Manchester? I'm assuming that there will be a lot of these "paper" moves (not simply with the Kings) to reassign players back to the AHL where they have been all season.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Why did they do this? Was this a case where this was necessary to send them back to Manchester? I'm assuming that there will be a lot of these "paper" moves (not simply with the Kings) to reassign players back to the AHL where they have been all season.
Dean must have checked the market and didn't receive back much interest. Obviously LA is done with Hickey, he requested a trade, and is completely eclipsed by our depth chart. Not much you can do with him other than see if someone else will take him for free. There were only three options, which were he makes the roster, gets traded, or sees waivers.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Still have no idea as to why Dean chose Muzzin over Hickey, but oh well.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Though when McKenzie says stuff like this, it definitely makes you wonder why we couldn't get anything for him:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Seems like every team is looking for defencemen. I believe DET and EDM are two teams with great motivation to upgrade the blueline.
Though, on the other hand, Hickey would have to play in the NHL this season were any of those teams willing to deal for him, which would likely mean other roster moves, as we can't take players in return.

Just a weird scenario.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I believe why lots of players are hitting waivers today is because they are now being officially assigned to the minors by their NHL clubs. During the lockout, these players had signed minor league deals to play in the AHL.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
David Strorm
@ControlPuck

Quote:
Though when McKenzie says stuff like this, it definitely makes you wonder why we couldn't get anything for him:

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Seems like every team is looking for defencemen. I believe DET and EDM are two teams with great motivation to upgrade the blueline.

Though, on the other hand, Hickey would have to play in the NHL this season were any of those teams willing to deal for him, which would likely mean other roster moves, as we can't take players in return.

Just a weird scenario.
I dont know why he cant be packaged. Teams like Edmonton and Detroit should at least take a chance. If he isnt claimed, he could increase his value at training camp, or in games for Mitchell.

David Strorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Dean must have checked the market and didn't receive back much interest. Obviously LA is done with Hickey, he requested a trade, and is completely eclipsed by our depth chart. Not much you can do with him other than see if someone else will take him for free. There were only three options, which were he makes the roster, gets traded, or sees waivers.
Holy overreaction Batman!

Lots of teams are putting on the cusp prospects who signed AHL deals during the lockout on waivers. If Hickeys claimed we can nab someone else's prospect as payback.

Not directed towards you Telos, but Muzzin sucks.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
When did he request a trade? And I don't agree that he's eclipsed by our depth chart. From accounts of Manchester watchers, he's been the best D-man down there this year outside of Voynov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I believe why lots of players are hitting waivers today is because they are now being officially assigned to the minors by their NHL clubs. During the lockout, these players had signed minor league deals to play in the AHL.
This is really it.

That said, I think we'll really regret this move. I'm not saying Hickey will be some all-star or anything, but he's going to be a solid, 20 minute a game D-man and someones getting him for free. If he clears waivers I'd be shocked.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Hickey was given more than enough time to earn a roster spot and never did. You can't hold onto these guys forever. Hickey might be the most seasoned prospect in Kings history, 20 years ago he would have already played about 300 NHL games and would be ruined.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Dennis Bernstein and the Fourth Period keep saying we're in the market for a Dman
All teams are.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:21 PM
vbaron

What a waste of the #4 pick

vbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Monarchist

Quote:
So keep him, play him, and trade Muzzin to Tampa for a third round draft pick. Or Martinez for a second. Maximize assets.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Disappointed in Hickey not getting a chance...another Holloway situation in the making...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Tadite

Hickey's a puck moving type and he got beat out by Drew, VV, and Martinez (also Muzzin). So unless he's all of a sudden become way bigger, and totally changed his game, he doesn't have a place on the team.

Besides.... this all assumes that he isn't going to clear wavers. I think Campbell is a bit of a surprise.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Hickey's a puck moving type and he got beat out by Drew, VV, and Martinez (also Muzzin). So unless he's all of a sudden become way bigger, and totally changed his game, he doesn't have a place on the team.

Besides.... this all assumes that he isn't going to clear wavers. I think Campbell is a bit of a surprise.
They have to clear waivers to be able to play in the AHL.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post

Muzzin beat him because he's bigger and more physical. Not because of puck moving skills.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
mbar

How long do they have to clear waivers? I thought I read in the new CBA it was only 24 hours. Is that true? Hopefully our guys clear waivers but I wouldn't be surprised at all for someone to take a chance on Hickey.

Maybe he'll be our version of Kyle Quincy but in reverse.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
How long do they have to clear waivers? I thought I read in the new CBA it was only 24 hours. Is that true? Hopefully our guys clear waivers but I wouldn't be surprised at all for someone to take a chance on Hickey.

Maybe he'll be our version of Kyle Quincy but in reverse.
So in a few years we are going to end up trading a 1st rounder to get him back?...

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
damacles1156

I think Hickey will clear waivers.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote