HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBC to broadcast 70 games

Old
01-13-2013, 09:07 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NBC to broadcast 70 games

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-season-games/

OTA 'casts. Nice

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Beautiful! I'm confused as to the first day though... Are they going to be showing the banner raising and then switch over to Pittsburgh-Philly?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Beautiful! I'm confused as to the first day though... Are they going to be showing the banner raising and then switch over to Pittsburgh-Philly?
It's clearly listed first, so yes.

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:25 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
If you live in a region that will get Pitt-Philly yes.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5259--nhl.html

Puck Daddy ranks winners/losers for NBC Sports coverage.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...5259--nhl.html

Puck Daddy ranks winners/losers for NBC Sports coverage.
No surprises here.

Nobody wants to watch teams like carolina / edmonton play, not sure why they're calling edmonton not getting any games on VS a "problem." The only "problem" here is the ratings for that game would suck, so they don't show it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Zestfule

New Jersey - Boston on Rivalry Wednesday? :p

Zestfule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

People sure want to watch Pitt, Flyers, and NJ....

That's alright, I prefer NESN to NBC by far so thank you for cutting back our national games. Still too many, however. Those 7:30 start times are annoying.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zestfule View Post
New Jersey - Boston on Rivalry Wednesday? :p
That's what I was thinking...wouldn't consider Devils Bruins a rivalry at all.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils7 View Post
That's what I was thinking...wouldn't consider Devils Bruins a rivalry at all.
Yeah. CHI/MIN, STL/COL, COL/CHI, MIN/DET, and LA/DET could be debatable, too.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Yeah. CHI/MIN, STL/COL, COL/CHI, MIN/DET, and LA/DET could be debatable, too.
When I read the Blues had 2 'rivalry night' games I thought it would be DET and CHI never thought of COL as a rival for STL

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:13 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Some mis-understanding, I think. From the article...
Quote:
The NBC Sports Group will air 70 NHL regular-season games across NBC and NBC Sports Network this season.
That reads like 70 games combined OTA and cable broadcasts. I count approx 15 OTA games (NBC) in the article. The rest are on NBCSN. Easy to miss the extra 2 letters in the acronym.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
NBC's coverage begins at 3pm, and soon there after the entire nation will see the banner presentation. At 325pm, half the nation will be cut to Flyers/Pens while the other half will remain with Kings/Hawks.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 View Post
At 325pm, half the nation will be cut to Flyers/Pens while the other half will remain with Kings/Hawks.
Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

So this will be like what NBC does on Hockey Day In America - staggered starting times where some viewers will see some action (10 mins or so) of other games before switching to their game. In this case its just two games and not the usual three games that HDIA showed in years past. (This year for HDIA on Feb 17 however there will be no staggered starts as NBC is only showing two games - 12:30 pm ET-Sabres-Pens and 3:30 pm ET-Blackhawks-Kings.)

Last edited by LaxSabre: 01-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
LaxSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Love that network television is covering games.

Hate that they will only deign to air them early in the day.

I just can't get used to pro hockey at 12:30pm. It's especially galling in the playoffs. Saturday night is for hockey.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I just can't get used to pro hockey at 12:30pm. It's especially galling in the playoffs. Saturday night is for hockey.
Even worse at 9:30am.

(I rarely watch Sunday morning games in California as I'm usually not available. If I wanted to watch, I'd probably miss the first part as I'm coming in from church, or just heading out to participate in later service.)

Old
01-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Leo W

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxSabre View Post
Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

So this will be like what NBC does on Hockey Day In America - staggered starting times where some viewers will see some action (10 mins or so) of other games before switching to their game. In this case its just two games and not the usual three games that HDIA showed in years past. (This year for HDIA on Feb 17 however there will be no staggered starts as NBC is only showing two games - 12:30 pm ET-Sabres-Pens and 3:30 pm ET-Blackhawks-Kings.)
Great, I'm from Buffalo but am a Kings fan so I won't get to catch the game sadly. Because I'm not exactly sure if FSW is going to broadcast the game on Center Ice.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Saw somewhere on twitter earlier that NBCSports.com is going to stream both games, so anyone can watch the 1 they aren't getting.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Saw somewhere on twitter earlier that NBCSports.com is going to stream both games, so anyone can watch the 1 they aren't getting.
I wish they could stream the NBC Sports Network games too. Just add them to the ratings of the network, since they do want hits to the website too.

SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:35 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I wish they could stream the NBC Sports Network games too. Just add them to the ratings of the network, since they do want hits to the website too.
They could only do that if you had to sign in on their site through your TV provider. Not fair to the cable/sat companies if you could get those games free.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
They could only do that if you had to sign in on their site through your TV provider. Not fair to the cable/sat companies if you could get those games free.
That would depend on the agreement between the network and the TV providers. There's no "fairness" issue here, unless the network has an agreement with the TV providers on how the content is treated, they're free to do whatever they want with their content.

TV providers pay a fee to the network per customer that gets the network (which you pay for, obviously). I don't think there's any kind of exclusivity included in that agreement.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
That would depend on the agreement between the network and the TV providers. There's no "fairness" issue here, unless the network has an agreement with the TV providers on how the content is treated, they're free to do whatever they want with their content.

TV providers pay a fee to the network per customer that gets the network (which you pay for, obviously). I don't think there's any kind of exclusivity included in that agreement.
Fine, let me rephrase what I said so as to not be nitpicked for 1 word you didn't like.

Channels, say NBCSN, make the majority of their money through subscriber fees, not advertising. So they aren't going to give out their games free, they want you paying a cable/sat provider to get the channel. They aren't going to give up their content for free, it makes zero sense for them too.

Better?

Old
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
No surprises here.

Nobody wants to watch teams like carolina / edmonton play, not sure why they're calling edmonton not getting any games on VS a "problem." The only "problem" here is the ratings for that game would suck, so they don't show it.
What kind of hockey fan wouldnt want to watch the Oilers lately? Regional fans aside, they should be one of the draws, for the reason that the article laments about. They play one of the most entertaining games in the league

Not that I care since I get all the games, but the writers of the article obviously want to see the Oilers. What kind of neutral fan wouldnt want to watch the Oilers over, say, defensive-minded St.Louis.

But NBC is obviously catering to the American fan. Which is expected. But I can see why the article is complaining about that. They are missing out on some entertaining hockey.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
jhopspensfan

[QUOTE=LaxSabre;57574967]Actually the schedule is this - 3:00 pm ET - everyone gets to see the banner ceremony. 3:25 pm ET - puckdrop of Kings-Blackhawks - everyone sees this. 3:35 pm ET - Flyers-Pens viewers will be switched to their game for their puckdrop - Kings-Blackhawks viewers stay with their game.

This seems to be the consensus from what I have read. And I think it absolutely sucks.

a) NBC won't put its coverage map out there to show which areas are going to get what game, i.e. "Regional" coverage which is pathetic; and

b) Years ago, when FOX and ABC had weekend games (there were 3 games which started at the same time), there was regional coverage. BUT, if the game you wanted to see was not being shown in your regions, you could find the other 2 games on Center Ice.

There are a lot of hockey fans that don't live near the City where there hockey team is located. Given the disaster that was the last lockout, you would think that any Center Ice subscriber in any location could see whatever game they wanted to see on at least one channel (I understand blackouts).

jhopspensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Fine, let me rephrase what I said so as to not be nitpicked for 1 word you didn't like.

Channels, say NBCSN, make the majority of their money through subscriber fees, not advertising. So they aren't going to give out their games free, they want you paying a cable/sat provider to get the channel. They aren't going to give up their content for free, it makes zero sense for them too.

Better?
You said it's not fair to the TV providers.. the TV providers don't care at all about what NBC does w/ their content. Now you're making a completely different argument.