HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's obviously the risk that comes with a rental.
Sure, and as I said, the only real question here is whether we get the risk taking Shero who put the finishing touches on a cup winner or the risk averse Shero who managed the team from the day the Pens won the cup to the day Staal forced his hand.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I hear he made a pretty big deal to bring in a decent scoring winger in James Neal

Old
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Last year?

You know, I posed this question elsewhere, and I'll ask you now:

Hossa deal: Big risk.

Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi: Also a risk, in that the deal was made hoping Letang was ready to step up.

After the Pens won the cup, name one deal, aside from the one with Staal that he had no choice to make, that could have been considered from the Pens perspective a risk.
He did trade away future superstar Luca Caputi

Old
01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I hear he made a pretty big deal to bring in a decent scoring winger in James Neal
Was it a risk?

Don't confuse a big deal with a risky one like the Hossa deal or Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi.

What did he trade?

Alex Gologoski was the Pens #5 defenseman. He traded his #5 defenseman for a legit young scoring line winger and a replacement #5 defenseman.

I don't call that taking a risk.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
He did trade away future superstar Luca Caputi
Trading Caputi for Ponikauseless was as big a risk as trading Gologoski for Neal and Niskanen.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Jacob

It looked like a risky move when Neal had like 1 goal in 20 games.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:03 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It looked like a risky move when Neal had like 1 goal in 20 games.
1. It didn't look that way even then.

2. It certainly looked nothing like a risk when the deal actually was done. A #5 defenseman for a bona fide 30 goal man and a replacement #5 defenseman. Again, that's the deal Shero made to get Neal.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:05 PM
KIRK

Side question: If some people here are moaning about the price to rent Iginla, what happens if/when impending UFA Corey Perry becomes available?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:06 PM
AgentM

Quote:

2. It certainly looked nothing like a risk when the deal actually was done. A #5 defenseman for a bona fide 30 goal man and a replacement #5 defenseman. Again, that's the deal Shero made to get Neal.
I agree with you that it wasn't considered a big risk even when it happened. Heck 99% of fans (here and around town) were geeked to get a winger as good as Neal for Gogo.

But it IS the perfect example of what we are talking about happening - Shero using his surplus of defenseman riches to bring in a Top 6 winger. It shows that Shero has done it again and is most likely going to do it again, maybe even in the very near future.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

isn't that better than taking risks? I would much rather him make sure fire trades than risks. I want him to take risks if the sure thing deals aren't available.

Old
Rob Scuderi

As the saying goes, it takes one to tango.

Has Shero given us any reason to think he won't swoop in and make a deal when there's one in the offing? Rick Nash was the last big name moved, and I'm personally okay we didn't win out that sweepstakes.

This just seems like something you say with nothing more than hindsight being considered.

Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Last year?

You know, I posed this question elsewhere, and I'll ask you now:

Hossa deal: Big risk.

Whitney for Kunitz/Tangradi: Also a risk, in that the deal was made hoping Letang was ready to step up.

After the Pens won the cup, name one deal, aside from the one with Staal that he had no choice to make, that could have been considered from the Pens perspective a risk.
Goligoski for Neal and Niskanen.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Side question: If some people here are moaning about the price to rent Iginla, what happens if/when impending UFA Corey Perry becomes available?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Jacob

I don't see how someone that had never hit 30 goals at any level is a bonafide 30 goal man.

Also, Goligoski was 3rd amongst defensemen in ice time, so he wasn't really a #5 guy either.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I don't see how someone that had never hit 30 goals at any level is a bonafide 30 goal man.

Also, Goligoski was 3rd amongst defensemen in ice time, so he wasn't really a #5 guy either.
and Niskanen was considered to be negative value coming back our way

Old
01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Quote:
Ogrezilla said it perfectly

As a rental it's got to be a Hossa-esque package of a top prospect (Beau Bennett goes home?), a #1 pick, and some pieces of lesser prospects/3rd line types?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
deakka

Macintyre, Thiessen and Zatkoff on waivers

Old
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:

So basically, you want to criticize Shero for making a great, big time trade that minimized risk and paid off incredibly well.

I don't really want my GM making risky trades all the time just for the sake of making risky trades. Only a panicky idiot does that with a contender. We have a lot going right for us, we don't need to shake the foundation every deadline.

Quote:

Yep, KIRK's playing a bit fast and loose with the facts there.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

Old
01-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Pick87your71Poison

I don't understand how Shero doesn't get credit for that deal because it wasn't enough of a "risk". Are we trying to make good deals or just take risks because I'd damn well just make great trades. By that logic if Shero makes 5 more deals like the Neal deal and we're absolutely loaded, he doesn't get credit for not pushing his hand and taking a big risk. Maybe he should trade Malkin for a boatload of blue chip prospects and #1's. Very risky and could win us multiple cups in 5 years so at least he gets credit for trying.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I would imagine Shero prefering Saad to Teravainen. Swapping him for Maatta would be ideal. Teravainen would be reunited with a very promising team-mate (National team). Both teams would benefit when you think about it. However, the Hawks would probably want Despres instead given that he's pretty close to ready to playing in the NHL.

Well, simply put: IMO, Teravainen is a better prospect than Saad, so I think Shero & the Pens would prefer to get the best player possible back in the deal. If I'm Shero, or any scout/GM, I choose Teravainen over Saad every day of the week.

As for Chicago's hypothetical interest in Maatta, Olli hasn't raised his stock significantly since the draft. I would say he has plateaued and looks like he's doing fine; whereas TT looks like he's the real deal and not a flash in the pan. With TT, you're talking about a guy who has considerably more upside than Maatta, and has always been regarded as a better prospect.

Finally, TT is probably NHL ready now or next season, whereas Maatta is at least 2-3 years away, so I'm that Chicago would prefer a guy like Despres or Dumoulin who are closer to NHL ready -- but neither guy alone would be enough to get TT, so Pens would have to add, and CHI would have to LOVE who they are getting back, because TT is looking like an absolute stud, top-10 prospect league-wide right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Penguins aren't trading Fleury....
This.

Quote:
I don't care if he lasts a few more years. Give me 2-4 months.

I want Iginla, but not by trade. We need to keep our young assets to remain competitive long-term. No way do I want to move guys like Pouliot + Harrington + whatever to get Iginla, when we have as good a chance as any team to sign him as a UFA a few months later.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Riptide

Quote:
we didn't re-sign Hossa and it was still a great trade. Deadline rental deals are made to win now. if you can re-sign them after, all the better. It sounds like you are just against the idea of a rental.
Not for a lack of trying though.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I don't understand how Shero doesn't get credit for that deal because it wasn't enough of a "risk". Are we trying to make good deals or just take risks because I'd damn well just make great trades. By that logic if Shero makes 5 more deals like the Neal deal and we're absolutely loaded, he doesn't get credit for not pushing his hand and taking a big risk. Maybe he should trade Malkin for a boatload of blue chip prospects and #1's. Very risky and could win us multiple cups in 5 years so at least he gets credit for trying.
It is a little counter-intuitive, isn't it?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:26 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Macintyre, Thiessen and Zatkoff on waivers
Can teams pick them up?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
isn't that better than taking risks? I would much rather him make sure fire trades than risks. I want him to take risks if the sure thing deals aren't available.
Well sure, a no lose proposition is better than not having to take a risk. Tell me how many cup winners have been built entirely with no lose propositions.

Closed Thread