HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Room VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Is anyone else apathetic about the NHL's return?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I'm really happy there will be a playoffs. It's going to take me awhile to care about the regular season.
Yes. I'll prob watch my fav team in the playoffs, but I can't imagine ever watching a regular season game again.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
How many of them had Canada coming home without a medal of any color?
About half a dozen, including me! I have been critical of the coaching all along: lack of discipline, poorly coordinated play, especially in the offensive zone, shaky special teams play (the hallmark of coaching), coaches and players whining about the officiating, reliance on underachieving goalie too much instead of spreading work around early in tourney (to have a goalie EARN the starter's job), etcetera.

Before the tourney I had predicted Russia win the gold, USA the silver and Finland the bronze because those three teams actually looked good pre-tourney. Some posters said I was being un-Canadian by daring to predict that Canada will lose. I replied that my love of the game of hockey is borne of my Canadian upbringing, the land and history of my country, and that blind patriotism seems a bit un-Canadian to me, and nothing more Canadian than a humble admission to being something other than number one; many great Canadian writers have reflected on the Canadian identity and spoken of an inferiority complex, of a cordial lack of hierarchy, of a mindset that founded the United Nations, and so on.

When the puck dropped I cheered "Go Canada go". And when they lost it hurt. But at no point was I surprised. My gut and head were telling me that the team I saw pre-tourney against Finland and Sweden was not built to win, and that team didn't change much during the tourney.

Anyways,... it was good to see competitive hockey, and now that the NHL isd back baby, I can do another Canadian thing: cheer for my favorite NHL teams (some of which are not in Canadian cities but have a helluva lot of Canadian players, coaches, management, fans and roots). Go Sharks! Go Caps! Go Canucks!

Old
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Is anyone else apathetic about the NHL's return?
I won't lie , I did miss hockey some nights , but I'm pissed at these clowns.They spit on the fans for months for this deal?!? For so little in the end? I know , I know , it's business and a little gain is a lot of money on a 10 years deal , but the fact remains that now they come back with smile on their face expecting us to pay 200$ a ticket , 15$ a beer , 10$ of parking and 8$ for a hot dog to watch them pretend they care about the team they play for.I won't purchase any NHL stuff for quite some time.

They've been laughing at us and taking away the game we love to debate how they would split their enormous pot of money , enormous pot of money created mostly by the ridiculous prices they charge us.

Old
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
About half a dozen, including me! I have been critical of the coaching all along: lack of discipline, poorly coordinated play, especially in the offensive zone, shaky special teams play (the hallmark of coaching), coaches and players whining about the officiating, reliance on underachieving goalie too much instead of spreading work around early in tourney (to have a goalie EARN the starter's job), etcetera.

Before the tourney I had predicted Russia win the gold, USA the silver and Finland the bronze because those three teams actually looked good pre-tourney. Some posters said I was being un-Canadian by daring to predict that Canada will lose. I replied that my love of the game of hockey is borne of my Canadian upbringing, the land and history of my country, and that blind patriotism seems a bit un-Canadian to me, and nothing more Canadian than a humble admission to being something other than number one; many great Canadian writers have reflected on the Canadian identity and spoken of an inferiority complex, of a cordial lack of hierarchy, of a mindset that founded the United Nations, and so on.

When the puck dropped I cheered "Go Canada go". And when they lost it hurt. But at no point was I surprised. My gut and head were telling me that the team I saw pre-tourney against Finland and Sweden was not built to win, and that team didn't change much during the tourney.

Anyways,... it was good to see competitive hockey, and now that the NHL isd back baby, I can do another Canadian thing: cheer for my favorite NHL teams (some of which are not in Canadian cities but have a helluva lot of Canadian players, coaches, management, fans and roots). Go Sharks! Go Caps! Go Canucks!
Dont forget the blatant embellishment, diving and stickwork that canada suddenly has adopted.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

i must say, I was apathetic at first, but every time I see "the lockout is over!" I get a little more excited.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
i must say, I was apathetic at first, but every time I see "the lockout is over!" I get a little more excited.
I thought I would apathetic, and maybe I still am, I can't even tell anymore. But the first time I see Evgeni Malkin or Sidney Crosby rush the puck up the ice and do something absolutely awesome, I'll forget this whole thing ever happened...

Life's too short to try to punish a "corporation" in exchange for my own enjoyment of a game that I love...AIUI, the first game will be Pittsburgh at Philadelphia at 1 pm Saturday, and if it's that's true, that's about 2 miles from my door and I'm going to make every attempt to be there...

Old
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I thought I would apathetic, and maybe I still am, I can't even tell anymore. But the first time I see Evgeni Malkin or Sidney Crosby rush the puck up the ice and do something absolutely awesome, I'll forget this whole thing ever happened...Life's too short to try to punish a "corporation" in exchange for my own enjoyment of a game that I love...AIUI, the first game will be Pittsburgh at Philadelphia at 1 pm Saturday, and if it's that's true, that's about 2 miles from my door and I'm going to make every attempt to be there...
There are 4 reasons for me to be excited about the regular season:

1. It leads to the playoffs.

2. I think Malkin has a chance to lead the Pens to the Cup.

3. I'm interested to see if Kronwall's performance as a #1 dman justifies his big contract.

4. I have 2 fantasy teams that look good to me. They are:

A.

1. (4) Sidney Crosby C
2. (9) Daniel Sedin LW
3. (16) Rick Nash LW
4. (21) Patrick Sharp C,RW
5. (28) Patrick Kane C,RW
6. (33) Jonathan Toews C
7. (40) Marian Hossa RW
8. (45) Ilya Bryzgalov G
9. (52) Cam Ward G
10. (57) Shea Weber D
11. (64) P.K. Subban D
12. (69) Duncan Keith D
13. (76) Mark Giordano D
14. (81) Thomas Vanek LW

and B.

1. (1) Steven Stamkos C
2. (12) Zach Parise W
3. (13) Ilya Kovalchuk W
4. (24) Patrick Kane C,W
5. (25) Jonathan Toews C
6. (36) Marian Hossa W
7. (37) Jaroslav Halak G
8. (48) Martin St. Louis W
9. (49) Jeff Skinner C,W
10. (60) Kari Lehtonen G
11. (61) Matt Duchene C,W
12. (72) Ryan Suter D
13. (73) P.K. Subban D
14. (84) Michael Del Zotto D
15. (85) Jack Johnson D
16. (96) Craig Anderson G
17. (97) Danny Briere C,W
18. (108) Drew Stafford W
19. (109) Teemu Selanne W
20. (120) Brent Burns D
21. (121) Martin Brodeur G

Old
01-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

TDMM , are you nervous about Kovalchuk's situation?

Old
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
TDMM , are you nervous about Kovalchuk's situation?
Not really.

https://twitter.com/plysenkov/status/289072669536706560

Kovalchuk, Burke... Can I make one more BREAKING NEW? Pavel Datsyuk will play on KHL All Stars Game in Chelyabinsk (12-13 Jan).

They're probably just staying through the All Star Game

Old
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They're probably just staying through the All Star Game
Yes, I think so too. Though I would not be surprised to see Pavel Datsyuk leave NHL once his current contract is played out.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

I apologize even though I know it's lies!

Old
01-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

The NHL players have not yet approved the new deal.

Brian Burke didn't deserve to get fired and the Leafs will not win without more talent.

The Chicago Bears Head are to interview the Montreal Alouettes' Marc Trestman for their head coach position.

Baseball is so broken. Some players like Bonds and Clemens may have used PEDs and may not deserve to get into the HoF for character issues. The problem is that there were no rules against it at one time, no testing at one time, guys like Bonds and Clemens never failed a drug test, and now every player who played during the steroid era can't get into the HoF whether they're considered a PED user or not. What a mess.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
Baseball is so broken. Some players like Bonds and Clemens may have used PEDs and may not deserve to get into the HoF for character issues. The problem is that there were no rules against it at one time, no testing at one time, guys like Bonds and Clemens never failed a drug test, and now every player who played during the steroid era can't get into the HoF whether they're considered a PED user or not. What a mess.
Yeah, it's sad. Only the squeaky clean guys like Maddux and Johnson are sure of their hall spots, at this point.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Yeah, it's sad. Only the squeaky clean guys like Maddux and Johnson are sure of their hall spots, at this point.
Agreed. In addition to your good point, although many casual fans don't understand this, pitching is all technique. A smaller starter who has good form can still have a 95 mph fastball, (such as Tim Lincecum before he lost his velocity. I see his future as more of a RP now.) although over a long season a smaller starter is more likely to break down and get a tired arm and body than a bigger stronger starter such as CC Sabathia. The only advantage (although it may be a big one) PEDs give pitchers is recovering from playing and injuries faster. This may be why an older Clemens felt the need for a competitive advantage that would allow his arm and body to "bounce back" faster from starts and injuries the way a 25 year old would.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Agreed. In addition to your good point, although many casual fans don't understand this, pitching is all technique. A smaller starter who has good form can still have a 95 mph fastball, (such as Tim Lincecum before he lost his velocity. I see his future as more of a RP now.) although over a long season a smaller starter is more likely to break down and get a tired arm and body than a bigger stronger starter such as CC Sabathia. The only advantage (although it may be a big one) PEDs give pitchers is recovering from playing and injuries faster. This may be why an older Clemens felt the need for a competitive advantage that would allow his arm and body to "bounce back" faster from starts and injuries the way a 25 year old would.
Clemens did a little more than bounce back in the late 90s.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

Quote:
... This may be why an older Clemens felt the need for a competitive advantage that would allow his arm and body to "bounce back" faster from starts and injuries the way a 25 year old would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Clemens did a little more than bounce back in the late 90s.
Please re-read my post. I made zero comments on the quality of his pitching performances in the late 90s or any other time in his career. In a related story:

Quote:
Major League Baseball will test for human growth hormone throughout the regular season and increase efforts to detect abnormal levels of testosterone.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-exp...4875--mlb.html

Last edited by Hawkman: 01-10-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Can anybody ban me from the Montreal Canadiens board? I rarely go there but everytime I do I feel like shooting myself afterward.

Erik Cole is thinking of retiring after this season (his daughter will enter highschool next year) and he would probably prefer for her to be in her hometown and money doesn't seem to be a problem (though part of the reason he wants to quit is the new NHL/Players deal , but so what).We gave him a 4 years contract even though he was 33 years old , so if he quits after this year we'll have benefit from his two years under 35 and don't have to gamble on his older years at such a price.This is actually a fantastic turn of event if you think logically , but on the MTL board there's a bunch of schoolgirls screaming and being hysterical against him for saying he thought about quitting.What a bunch of morons.

And that's without taking into consideration Cole already exceeded the expectations by scoring 35 goals last year.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Murphy

Quote:
Can anybody ban me from the Montreal Canadiens board? I rarely go there but everytime I do I feel like shooting myself afterward.
I feel the same way about the omg, Horcoff isnt in town yet, what a lousy captain blah blah........

Old
01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

just curious a little bit about you guys , what kind of sport do you like beside hockey?

Rank your top 5 sports.

Here's mine:

1.Hockey
2.Tennis
3.Baseball
4.Golf
5.Boxing

Old
01-13-2013, 01:28 PM
vecens24

Quote:
just curious a little bit about you guys , what kind of sport do you like beside hockey?

Rank your top 5 sports.

Here's mine:

1.Hockey
2.Tennis
3.Baseball
4.Golf
5.Boxing
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Baseball
Football

Old
01-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:

Rank your top 5 sports.

Here's mine:

1.Hockey
2.Tennis
3.Baseball
4.Golf
5.Boxing
Only sports I like watching are Hockey and MMA.

In tems of participation, I like lots more. Canoeing, Kayaking, Sailing.... Lacrosse, Golf... Wrestling, Karate, Judo.... Hunting

Old
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Hawkman
#8 Andre Dawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Basketball
Hockey
Soccer
Baseball
Football
Mine are very similar. Hockey, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Football.

Quote:
The Dallas Stars will have to wait one more day to see their newest acquisition on the ice. Signed to a one-year free agent contract last summer, 40-year-old winger Jaromir Jagr didn't arrive in town from his native Czech Republic until early Friday before a case of jet lag delayed his initial appearance at the club's practice facility. ''The guy's just a presence in our locker room,'' said Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan, whose club missed the playoffs for the fourth straight season last year. ''And when you have a guy of that stature and that ability, it makes people think you can win every night and that can be infectious.''
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/stars-e...0834--nhl.html

Quote:
The Carolina Hurricanes are making some moves the day after the official end of the NHL lockout. The Hurricanes on Sunday traded goaltender Brian Boucher and defenseman Mark Alt to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for center Luke Pither (PIH-tuhr). The 36-year-old Boucher has spent most of his 14-year NHL career as a backup. He started eight games last season, losing all but one of them. Alt was drafted by the Hurricanes in 2010. The 21-year-old defenseman had five goals and 17 assists for the Minnesota Golden Gophers last season. Carolina says Pither will be assigned to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League. The 23-year-old center has 11 goals and 14 assists in 35 games in the ECHL this season.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hurrica...1640--nhl.html

Old
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Hockey
Football (the real kind, not Handegg)
Tennis
Table Tennis
Basketball
Volleyball

Old
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
jkrx

Hockey
Football (I refuse to call it the S-word)
Handball (Also the real one, not the american)

Old
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Hockey
Basketball
Other

Closed Thread