HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

At what exact moment did the scales tip for each player's HOF career?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  #26
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Joe Nieuwendyk - 2003: the third SC (along with Gold from OG)
Steve Yzerman - 1998: Conn Smythe Trophy and back-to-back SC
Brett Hull - 1999: Cup winning goal...regular or not.
Ed Belfour - 1999: Cup
Igor Larionov - 1997: Stanley Cup cemented his place in Toronto..
Pat Lafontaine - 1993: beside the fact he didnt do much more after, it was remarkable season
Mike Gartner - 1998: after he scored his 700th
Peter Stastny - 1990: when his Nordiques career ended
Joe Mullen - 1997 and the fact he remained PPG player

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
  #27
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Joe Nieuwendyk - 2003: the third SC (along with Gold from OG)
Steve Yzerman - 1998: Conn Smythe Trophy and back-to-back SC
Brett Hull - 1999: Cup winning goal...regular or not.
Ed Belfour - 1999: Cup
Igor Larionov - 1997: Stanley Cup cemented his place in Toronto..
Pat Lafontaine - 1993: beside the fact he didnt do much more after, it was remarkable season
Mike Gartner - 1998: after he scored his 700th
Peter Stastny - 1990: when his Nordiques career ended
Joe Mullen - 1997 and the fact he remained PPG player
Fair post.

I think Hull gets in regardless even if he retired by 1998. Three 70+ goal seasons, a Hart Trophy, three times leading the NHL in goals. 5 times 50+ goals. Still good playoff totals before 1999. World Cup brilliance in 1996.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:05 AM
  #28
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Fair post.

I think Hull gets in regardless even if he retired by 1998. Three 70+ goal seasons, a Hart Trophy, three times leading the NHL in goals. 5 times 50+ goals. Still good playoff totals before 1999. World Cup brilliance in 1996.
Yeah, I though about it for a while with Hull... Don't know if WC 1996 means that much, but his fifth consecutive 50+ seasons was definitely a milestone on his way to HOF. I mean, after his cup winning goal...there was no other option for him than HOF.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  #29
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Fair post.

I think Hull gets in regardless even if he retired by 1998. Three 70+ goal seasons, a Hart Trophy, three times leading the NHL in goals. 5 times 50+ goals. Still good playoff totals before 1999. World Cup brilliance in 1996.
In my head too, Hull was a hall of famer playing for the stars.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
  #30
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
This is taking Monday morning quarterbacking to Biblical proportions. You don't become a lock for the hall of fame for one amazing moment. The one's who get in make those amazing moments seem routine.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
  #31
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
This is taking Monday morning quarterbacking to Biblical proportions. You don't become a lock for the hall of fame for one amazing moment. The one's who get in make those amazing moments seem routine.
I think it has made for a pretty good discussion.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  #32
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 17,873
vCash: 500
At the start of 2006 one could have questioned whether Selanne was HHOF material or not (and many did), but by the summer of 2007 it was crystal clear he was going to go into the Hall.

June 2006 to June 2007 held the watershed moments in Teemu's career in terms of HHOF consideration.

Teemu collected the Masterton trophy in June, then early in the 2006-07 season passed Bobby Hull in goals, then went on that season to become the first player in NHL history over the age of 35 to record consecutive seasons with 40-plus goals and then topped it off with the .
Signed, sealed and delivered.


VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
  #33
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I think it has made for a pretty good discussion.
To each their own.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:13 AM
  #34
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Joe Nieuwendyk - 2003: the third SC (along with Gold from OG)
Steve Yzerman - 1998: Conn Smythe Trophy and back-to-back SC
Yzerman was a HHOFer somewhere from 1989 to 1993.

Quote:
Brett Hull - 1999: Cup winning goal...regular or not.
Yeah... he was already waaay past the mark.

Quote:
Ed Belfour - 1999: Cup
Are we Cup counting?

Quote:
Igor Larionov - 1997: Stanley Cup cemented his place in Toronto..
He was a HHOFer before he was ever traded to Detroit.

Quote:
Pat Lafontaine - 1993: beside the fact he didnt do much more after, it was remarkable season
Looking at this, and what you said for Yzerman and Hull... you clearly didn't watch hockey very much. Patty La' 1993 season was NOWHERE near Yzerman's 1989 season in dominance; Yzerman played fewer games, scored more goals and points, and Yzerman was 62 points ahead of his nearest linemate as opposed to 23 points ahead of his 76-goal winger (Mogilny scored more goals that year than Yzerman's RW Paul MacLean had points in 88-89).

Quote:
Mike Gartner - 1998: after he scored his 700th
Because guys who average 40-goal seasons for their career and hit the mark or close almost every year are clearly only considered HHOFers after they retire.

Quote:
Peter Stastny - 1990: when his Nordiques career ended
How about "When he finished second among forwards in scoring over a decade"? That seems like a better decription of why 1990 would be the year.

Quote:
Joe Mullen - 1997 and the fact he remained PPG player
Because all PPG players from the 80s are in the Hall, especially those who avoided the DPE. Now argue Bernie Nicholls, Steve Larmer, Theoren Fleury, Pierre Turgeon, or Eric Lindros OUT since you've given a stated reason why Mullen belongs, and they are superior in that area.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:22 AM
  #35
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Yzerman was a HHOFer somewhere from 1989 to 1993.
He was considered a choker. 1998 washed this label and there was no white place on his career map. Nobody doubted about him past 1998.
Quote:
Are we Cup counting?
Why not?
Quote:
He was a HHOFer before he was ever traded to Detroit.
Really? Tell me more about Makarov.

Quote:
Looking at this, and what you said for Yzerman and Hull... you clearly didn't watch hockey very much. Patty La' 1993 season was NOWHERE near Yzerman's 1989 season in dominance; Yzerman played fewer games, scored more goals and points, and Yzerman was 62 points ahead of his nearest linemate as opposed to 23 points ahead of his 76-goal winger (Mogilny scored more goals that year than Yzerman's RW Paul MacLean had points in 88-89).
Ouh..neverending argument about watching a hockey. Yes because everybody in the history section watched Morenz and Shore play. 1993 was on of the LaFontaine's defining career mark, if not the biggest then arguably the last. Did he become a HOFer if there is no 1993?
Quote:
Because guys who average 40-goal seasons for their career and hit the mark or close almost every year are clearly only considered HHOFers after they retire.
I dont see your point here.
Quote:
How about "When he finished second among forwards in scoring over a decade"? That seems like a better decription of why 1990 would be the year.
Of course, along the fact he did it on one (canadian) team.
Quote:
Because all PPG players from the 80s are in the Hall, especially those who avoided the DPE. Now argue Bernie Nicholls, Steve Larmer, Theoren Fleury, Pierre Turgeon, or Eric Lindros OUT since you've given a stated reason why Mullen belongs, and they are superior in that area.
I believe Mullen is there mostly because he was leading american scorer at the time along with cup. Fact he remained PPG player definitely helped. Exaggerated: biggest moment of Joe Mullen's path to Toronto was that he was born to american parents.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:02 AM
  #36
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
JC Tremblay going to the WHA in 1972 to continue a HOF worthy career... that decision certainly tipped the scales...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  #37
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatname View Post
The 97 Norris for Brian Leetch. He had a good case prior to that, given he'd played less than a decade, but that Norris pretty much sealed it.
As a Rangers fan, I wish people could forget about his career after 97 and just remember him up to that point.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  #38
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
As a Rangers fan, I wish people could forget about his career after 97 and just remember him up to that point.
and for me as a canucks fan, bure 1991-1994.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  #39
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
He was considered a choker. 1998 washed this label and there was no white place on his career map. Nobody doubted about him past 1998.
I tend to agree with some others here that Yzerman was thought to be a HHOFer long before 1998. For starters, when he won the Cup in 1997 you would think that would be all she wrote then right? Why 1998? He still was good in 1997. He was the captain. But in my honest opinion his offense was too hard to ignore and my opinion now is that 1993 was when he was a lock. He had that "no Cup" label on him, but there were just too many 50-60 goal and 100+ point seasons to ignore. I remember in 1996 having a discussion about which player had the best career that never won a Cup. It was always Yzerman, Bourque and Hawerchuk at that point. The guy is inducted without his Cups easily.

Quote:
1993 was on of the LaFontaine's defining career mark, if not the biggest then arguably the last. Did he become a HOFer if there is no 1993?
Without 1993 Lafontaine is not in the HHOF in my opinion. There would be too many "lack of elite seasons" on his resume without it. However, if he retired in 1993 I don't know if he's in or not. He still had one very good year in 1996 and followed that up with a World Cup win with the Americans. So I'll say 1993 is the year that puts him over the top overall but in 1993 I don't think he's inducted yet if that makes any sense at all.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.