HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign UFA D Cam Barker to 1-Year, $700K Deal

Old
01-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Guys are underreacting if anything.

It's a some-risk, zero reward deal. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he's going to play, and "if he sucks, send him down" doesn't make any sense because who are you going to play in his place if we don't get anyone else? We get down to the 8th guy pretty quickly, so Connauton/Joslin's ability to not be terrible (because we know Barker will be) for stretches is going to be relied upon. Not a good thing at all.

Especially when a guy superior in every way in Vandermeer is just begging you to sign him and gets rejected for no reason.

I think this is Gillis' most annoying and senseless signing yet.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
D depth has dropped off a cliff in a year

2011-12
Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Salo
Ballard Rome
Alberts Sulzer
Tanev

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Barker
Joslin?
I wouldn't say it's dropped off a cliff, though it certainly is worse.

Everyone is overlooking the fact Gillis is apparently looking for a dman in the Luongo trade. Add a half decent depth defender and all of a sudded the depth chart looks eerily similar to '11-12...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Cam Barker. Jesus h Christ. WTF, Gillis. We had Vandermeer sniffing around camp, and MG signs Barker instead.

Not getting warm fuzzies here.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitz and Bites View Post
Even better if it's the GWG that knocks the Oilers out of playoff contention...
That would be poetic...
I don't think Barker will be on the opening night roster.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Cam Barker. Jesus h Christ. WTF, Gillis. We had Vandermeer sniffing around camp, and MG signs Barker instead.

Not getting warm fuzzies here.
Do not want Vandermeer at all. Ever.

01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Bleach Clean

Gillis loves his high end _potential_ projects. He takes risks with his depth signings.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Especially when a guy superior in every way in Vandermeer is just begging you to sign him and gets rejected for no reason.
Not sure we would want to carry Vandermeer and Alberts. You only need one or the other. Vandermeer also is a poor fit in a system that promotes quixk puck movement and an active defense. Alberts has been a poor fit and he's a much better player than Vandermeer...

What I don't understand is, why did they let go of Gragnani, only to sign Barker? He's superior to Barker, at least brings one high end attribute to the table and could have provided some much needed skill for the Wolves.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
whats wrong with vandermeer, I take vandermeer over alberts comfortably. (assuming similiar salaries)

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I don't know, when I watch the Wolves I'm always left wanting more offense and puck movement from the defense. And it shows up in the stat sheet. The teams 4th highest point producer on the backend is Derek Joslin with 5 points in 30 games. Is Barker going to be worse on the PP than what's already there? I have a hard time imagining he would be, though I can't say I've watched Barker at the AHL level.

Not convinced Polasek is beter than Barker at that level either. I guess we'll have to wait and see which player the coaching staff thinks gives the team the best chance to win...
Barker was given a top spot on the PP, he had 4 PP points in 23 games, while providing poor and lazy defense. Brad Hunt looks much better on the PP recently and plays fairly well defensively, IMO. I don't see an upgrade here.

That's fair. Not many share the same optimism as I do regarding Polasek, but I don't think he deserved being in the ECHL. With the way he ended and progressed through last season, he looked like he could play solid top 4 minutes for the Wolves this season.

Not much else left to say really. I agree Gragnani at the AHL level >>>> Barker at the AHL level. Would have helped, but who knew Mullen would need season ending surgery.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Whale

Since when do we listen to the evaluations of Oilers fans?

For a horrible player he still managed to play 25 games for a losing team and came out with an even plus minus. Whitney -16, Potter -16, N. Shultz -12, Horcoff -26... core guys there Its actually, kind of impressive when you consider that his style of game in no way fits with Edmonton's run and get gunned down offense.

Sounds like a whipping boy to me.

He's only 26, has a big frame and a bit of edge, has a ton of NHL experience for his age, put up 34 assists one year anyways. I would say that he is still young enough that he could still turn it around, for $700,000 its not that bad of a signing really

No one is garbage, they just might play like it on a garbage team. He may just be one of those guys who doesn't do well in a losing environment.

Watch, in six months he'll be a playoff hero for us, maybe he's the next Brian Glynn. That guy couldn't get a top 6 role in the NHL for his life but was a total good luck charm in the playoffs, made it to the conference finals once (Edm) and lost twice in the SCF (Van, Min) filling in for injured players, bit of trivia for you

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Barker was given a top spot on the PP, he had 4 PP points in 23 games, while providing poor and lazy defense. Brad Hunt looks much better on the PP recently and plays fairly well defensively, IMO. I don't see an upgrade here.

That's fair. Not many share the same optimism as I do regarding Polasek, but I don't think he deserved being in the ECHL. With the way he ended and progressed through last season, he looked like he could play solid top 4 minutes for the Wolves this season.

Not much else left to say really. I agree Gragnani at the AHL level >>>> Barker at the AHL level. Would have helped, but who knew Mullen would need season ending surgery.
We have a different system then Edmonton or Minnesota. We are a very well conditioned organisation. Once Barker gets to speed with what is expected I'm sure in a world class system he can be more like the player we saw in Chicago. He is only 26 and only 4 years removed from a 40 point season in the best league in the world. It's a cheap contract and one that can be placed in the minors without it counting against our cap in the new cba. It is extremely low risk with upside.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:04 PM
KDizzle

ew ew ewwww.

I hate this move. At this point, all we can do is hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
ew ew ewwww.

I hate this move. At this point, all we can do is hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.
It's a depth d man signing for 700k lol, gimmie a break

Old
01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
roach9

Not a big deal guys... 7/8 d-man...

He was truly terribad in Texas though (I watch their games cause an old teammate plays on their team).

roach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Hey, Ranger fans and Panther fans said Higgins was horrible. Listening to other fans about their ex players isn't always the brightest idea.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
We have a different system then Edmonton or Minnesota. We are a very well conditioned organisation. Once Barker gets to speed with what is expected I'm sure in a world class system he can be more like the player we saw in Chicago. He is only 26 and only 4 years removed from a 40 point season in the best league in the world. It's a cheap contract and one that can be placed in the minors without it counting against our cap in the new cba. It is extremely low risk with upside.
This posts sounds eeriely similar to the EDM signs Cam Barker thread that i just read. Only it was "We have an organization filled with youth, so hopefully this will take some of the pressure on Barker and he can perform to the potential he has shown. He is only 25 and is only 3 years removed from a 40 point season. If he sucks, we can send him down. How is this a terrible move?" I don't know if you can find an Oiler fan today, that says it wasn't a terrible move for them.

This is the 3rd NHL team to give him a chance. 3rd times a charm?

If you have been following my convo with DtS, it is been debating his effect on the Wolves and that is one of my biggest concerns. I simply do not want him on the Wolves. He is not a good player at the AHL level. Several people have chimed in saying things to the same effect, but no one is listening.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:11 PM
arsmaster

Why do our scouts love soft defensman?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Wisp

eh. $700 for a depth role? not seeing the big deal.

if he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I remember when people weren't pleased about the Raffi Torres signing... turned out pretty good.

Too many chicken littles, let him show you what he can do it green & blue first.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
m9

It's all about expectations. The Oilers paid him a good amount of money to be a top six guy. Minnesota traded two good d-men for him. We are paying nothing for him. I have no problems adding him and if he sucks so be it.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I remember when people weren't pleased about the Raffi Torres signing... turned out pretty good.

Too many chicken littles, let him show you what he can do it green & blue first.
torres has proven in the past he could contribute to an NHL team. barker can't even play defense at an AHL level

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

"Big deal" kind of pick up for me.

I am not reall all that concerned at 700k about him completely dying for 4 months as an NHL or AHL defenseman.

It's a risk, and if it doesn't pay off we're fine. The season just started after a long lockout. Who knows what we will have in a couple weeks if resolution to the Luongo comes to us.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Guys are underreacting if anything.

It's a some-risk, zero reward deal. You're kidding yourself if you don't think he's going to play, and "if he sucks, send him down" doesn't make any sense because who are you going to play in his place if we don't get anyone else? We get down to the 8th guy pretty quickly, so Connauton/Joslin's ability to not be terrible (because we know Barker will be) for stretches is going to be relied upon. Not a good thing at all.

I think this is Gillis' most annoying and senseless signing yet.
Should we storm the rink because fans think a number 8 defenceman we signed for 700K is bad? I actually know Barker's situation on a personal level, anyway, he's not unskilled or horrible. He's always had a bad attitude. He had a sense of entitlement since he was a kid. He's been told to work on his skating since he was drafted. It's between his ears. And if Gillis or AV can't get through to him he's gone. So if you know him as I do, there is potential reward. If AV can stress to him that this is likely it and he finally grows up, he could be useful. It's not that he was never talented, obviously he is, just didn't pay the price or put in the work he needed to.

Besides, how many teams have number 8 defenceman signed at 700K with 100s of NHL games under their belt? I can garuntee you he's better than Gragnani anyway...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Every neutral opinion I have heard on Barker is "lazy, terrible skater, zero hockey IQ".

IMO he is in the running for worst player in the NHL.

If you ask me ever since the '11 offseason it has been one brutal move after another for Gillis, notwithstanding the Garrison signing.

I think Gillis has officially used up all my blind faith.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote