HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps Sign Eric Fehr

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
  #1
442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
Caps Sign Eric Fehr

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650156

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
  #2
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
BREAKING: Eric Fehr signs with Capitals

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650156

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed right wing Eric Fehr to a one-year, $600,000 contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Fehr, 27, recorded 25 points (13 goals, 12 assists) and was a plus-13 in 21 games with HPK of the SM-liiga (Finland) this season. He led the team in goals and was tied for second in points despite playing in just 21 of the team’s 39 games. In 2011-12, Fehr tallied two goals, one assist and 12 penalty minutes in 35 games with the Winnipeg Jets. He was traded to Winnipeg by Washington on July 8, 2011, in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick (Thomas Di Pauli) and Danick Paquette.

The 6’4”, 212-pound forward has collected 96 points (48 goals, 48 assists) and is a plus-27 in 265 career NHL games with Washington and Winnipeg. Fehr tallied 93 of those points (46 goals, 47 assists) in 230 career games with the Capitals from 2005-2011, including a career high 39 points (21 goals, 18 assists) in 69 games with Washington during the 2009-10 campaign. In 26 career playoff games, all with Washington, Fehr has recorded five goals and one assist.

The Winkler, Manitoba, native was the Capitals’ first-round choice, 18th overall, in the 2003 Entry Draft. He was an integral member of the Hershey Bears club that won the 2006 Calder Cup. In 19 playoff games that year, he had eight goals, three assists and scored the overtime game-winning goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals to lift the Bears to the Calder Cup Final.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
  #3
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
Expressing rage and dismay before the thread merger.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  #4
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Expressing rage and dismay before the thread merger.
Same. Not sure why they would re-sign him at all other than for depth. But we could use some actual STARTERS and not depth.

It doesn't look like McPhee is confident in this season at all. Almost looks like a "hey let's plug in guys until Forsberg/other players get here"

The best player we picked up is probably Wolski.


I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
  #5
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Same. Not sure why they would re-sign him at all other than for depth. But we could use some actual STARTERS and not depth.

It doesn't look like McPhee is confident in this season at all. Almost looks like a "hey let's plug in guys until Forsberg/other players get here"

The best player we picked up is probably Wolski.

600 K for a player who has scored 21 goals, had a great stint in Finland following a rough season with the Jets where he was coming back from major surgery, knows the Caps and is only 27 yrs old.

I don't see the problem.....let alone why people are already saying McPhee doesnt care about this season, seriously......

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:29 PM
  #6
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,797
vCash: 888
Quit the whining seriously.

Eric Fehr is signed to a deal you can't afford to pass up.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
  #7
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
600 K for a player who has scored 21 goals, had a great stint in Finland following a rough season with the Jets where he was coming back from major surgery, knows the Caps and is only 27 yrs old.

I don't see the problem.....let alone why people are already saying McPhee doesnt care about this season, seriously......
It's like dating that girlfriend who wasn't all that great but now she is desperate.

Fehr is a great guy, don't get me wrong, and alot of people will be happy he is back. He is a solid guy. He is a pure depth player though. They reached out for a guy like Ribeiro which worked and got a guy like Wolski but we need some actual starters to fill out the roster.

PS, no one is "whining" here. There are other issues that need to be addressed and some of us are pointing them out. Don't be rude.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
  #8
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,797
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
It's like dating that girlfriend who wasn't all that great but now she is desperate.

Fehr is a great guy, don't get me wrong, and alot of people will be happy he is back. He is a solid guy. He is a pure depth player though. They reached out for a guy like Ribeiro which worked and got a guy like Wolski but we need some actual starters to fill out the roster.
No its not. Its not even close.

Fehr is a player with shoulder injuries that have hurt him the past few years, he went to Finland which is a very physical league and did just fine.

I imagine soon if Fehr is doing good, people will be whining on other team boards about how their stupid GM didn't sign Fehr to such a cheap deal. Caps fans were doing it in regards to Sykora last year.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  #9
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
No its not. Its not even close.

Fehr is a player with shoulder injuries that have hurt him the past few years, he went to Finland which is a very physical league and did just fine.
I understand that but he's wildly inconsistent at best.

He's a good depth player but we'll see how he does when he's plugged in. He's no where close to a starter, which is what we need right now.

That is all him and I were saying. Don't even compare him to Sykora. That is so far off. Sykora had a history of great stats.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
  #10
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
It's like dating that girlfriend who wasn't all that great but now she is desperate.

Fehr is a great guy, don't get me wrong, and alot of people will be happy he is back. He is a solid guy. He is a pure depth player though. They reached out for a guy like Ribeiro which worked and got a guy like Wolski but we need some actual starters to fill out the roster.
Fehr was finally healthy when he went to Finland and played great.....I don't see how you pass up signing him to a 1 yr deal for 600K

The Caps need some scoring depth with a short season

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:37 PM
  #11
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,797
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I understand that but he's wildly inconsistent at best.

He's a good depth player but we'll see how he does when he's plugged in. He's no where close to a starter, which is what we need right now.

That is all him and I were saying.
What do you not understand? He had the 2nd highest PPG among NHLers in the Finnish league.

600k. 600k. 600k. 600k.

One more. 600k.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  #12
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
No its not. Its not even close.

Fehr is a player with shoulder injuries that have hurt him the past few years, he went to Finland which is a very physical league and did just fine.

I imagine soon if Fehr is doing good, people will be whining on other team boards about how their stupid GM didn't sign Fehr to such a cheap deal. Caps fans were doing it in regards to Sykora last year.
Exactly.....I have more faith in Fehr surprising people than I do in Wolski, but either way....to get both those players for 600k each is a steal, even if its just for depth.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
  #13
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Fehr was finally healthy when he went to Finland and played great.....I don't see how you pass up signing him to a 1 yr deal for 600K

The Caps need some scoring depth with a short season
Just to be clear I wouldn't pass up on his contract, that's a steal for a depth forward.

I don't think Fehr can hold a roster spot at this place in time, no. I would rather have a guy who is a depth forward but can at least challenge for a starting job. I have no problem with this deal as a depth forward. I do have a problem with lack of caliber players on the starting roster, specifically the 3rd and 4th lines.

Wolski is not for depth, they're using him as a starter.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
  #14
Carlzner
Game of Tanks
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Exactly.....I have more faith in Fehr surprising people than I do in Wolski, but either way....to get both those players for 600k each is a steal, even if its just for depth.
This is the same guy who wanted Jay Beagle off the team just a little while ago. I don't think he understands the concepts of salaries and the salary cap.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
  #15
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
This is the same guy who wanted Jay Beagle off the team just a little while ago. I don't think he understands the concepts of salaries and the salary cap.
Again read what I JUST posted.

No need to bring past history into this to make me look like I have no idea what i'm talking about.

Fehr is a depth forward, many fans myself included are frustrated at our lower lines lack of credibility. You win with an all-around team. Past the 2nd line we don't have an all around team. Compare ours to the Rangers and you'll see. That doesn't mean we can't have success or win a Cup, but it'll be alot harder to do so.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:49 PM
  #16
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Again read what I JUST posted.

No need to bring past history into this to make me look like I have no idea what i'm talking.

Fehr is a depth forward, many fans myself included are frustrated at our lower lines.
You're worried about our lower lines? And you want Beagle gone.....makes no sense.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  #17
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
You're worried about our lower lines? And you want Beagle gone.....makes no sense.
I said we could do better than Beagle, compared him to Hendricks and said they're similar. Which they are in many aspects.
I'm worried about our depth yet also want Ward gone. Makes sense.

Also Laich is out so who knows how ready he'll be. Hopefully knowing Laich he won't show up in basically crutches.
Anyways this thread is about Fehr so don't bring that stuff in here.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
  #18
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,061
vCash: 500
this is a typical mcphee dumpster dive. think morrison a couple years ago. fehr is either going to do something with his last chance which makes his contract a steal or he will fail and the money spent on him at the league minimum or there abouts. its a free shot.

personally, i dont expect much, but its as cheap a shot as you get to take. if one of wolski or fehr works out, the caps will be fine. in this case with laich going to miss some time off the bat, both should get a chance to show something. i dont know why anyone would complain about this.

i am clearly not a fehr fan, but still.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
  #19
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is a typical mcphee dumpster dive. think morrison a couple years ago. fehr is either going to do something with his last chance which makes his contract a steal or he will fail and the money spent on him at the league minimum or there abouts. its a free shot.

personally, i dont expect much, but its as cheap a shot as you get to take. if one of wolski or fehr works out, the caps will be fine. in this case with laich going to miss some time off the bat, both should get a chance to show something. i dont know why anyone would complain about this.

i am clearly not a fehr fan, but still.
I don't know if I'd call it a dumpster dive,.....Fehr is only 27, compared to Morrison, but aside from that, you're right that he and Wolski both have a great chance to prove they belong.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
  #20
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,061
vCash: 500
a player that is not qualified, sits on the free agent market, and is signed at or barely above the league minimum is a dumpster dive.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  #21
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,442
vCash: 500
Totally gonna be steal of the year. Right-handed sniper Ribeiro needs to play with. People were crapping on Devils signing Sykora, Carolina trading for Jokinen, Buffalo getting Sulzer, Islanders getting Moulson, etc. You get ahead by buying low on players with potential and having them pan out. There's a reason we took him ahead of Getzlaf, people. A bit early to give up on him now.

I can see him lighting it up on a line with Backstrom and Ribeiro and getting around 20g/15a, which may not seem like much but remember we only have 48 games this season.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  #22
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,483
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Totally gonna be steal of the year. Right-handed sniper Ribeiro needs to play with. People were crapping on Devils signing Sykora, Carolina trading for Jokinen, Buffalo getting Sulzer, Islanders getting Moulson, etc. You get ahead by buying low on players with potential and having them pan out. There's a reason we took him ahead of Getzlaf, people. A bit early to give up on him now.

I can see him lighting it up on a line with Backstrom and Ribeiro and getting around 20g/15a, which may not seem like much but remember we only have 48 games this season.
We only have 2 centers and we're using them on the same line?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  #23
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
We only have 2 centers and we're using them on the same line?
We have a ton of centers, don't be deceived

Ovechkin-Laich-Ward
Backstrom-Ribeiro-Fehr
Wolski-Johansson-Beagle
Chimera-Perreault-Hendricks

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
  #24
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,525
vCash: 50
"Starters."

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #25
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,797
vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a player that is not qualified, sits on the free agent market, and is signed at or barely above the league minimum is a dumpster dive.
Fehr was a UFA.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.