HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM intersted in MDZ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:18 PM
  #501
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Tis' the SeaSon
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 15,138
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Derp.




Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Super Duper Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Morale of the story here folks, you don't know as much about the Rangers, Del Zotto, and Glen Sather as you think you do. Numerous Rangers fans have been saying MDZ is going to sign for about 2.5~3M. We've included facts that justified that number. But you refused to listen to people who actually understand how the team functions.

4M?

Won't sign him for anything less than 3M

Checkmate.

Omfg. I nominate for best post in HF boards history. Holy **** BBG. Game set and match.

__________________
--I'm on the last American exit to the northland
I'm on the last American exit to my homeland
I'm on the last American exit to my last dance
They keep calling out my name, I shout it down
--
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  #502
FanHabtic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
This is great news for Habs fans. It will provide a good baseline for Subban's contract. Same agent as well.

Derp!

lol

FanHabtic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
  #503
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
This only confirms MDZ isnt as good as you thought he was

Yep, looks like I was totally off. Im amazed. Can we borrow Sather next time RFA signing season rolls around? Pleeeease?

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #504
Made Dan
Registered User
 
Made Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
This is great news for Habs fans. It will provide a good baseline for Subban's contract. Same agent as well.

Derp!

lol
But I'm told Subban is worlds ahead of MDZ. Derp

Made Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #505
FanHabtic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
But I'm told Subban is worlds ahead of MDZ. Derp
At least twice as good. I'd settle for 5M/year on a 3 year (or 2 year) contract.

FanHabtic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:26 PM
  #506
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
This is great news for Habs fans. It will provide a good baseline for Subban's contract. Same agent as well.

Derp!

lol
If Subban gets 5 or more years (can't see the habs giving him 4), he will have a higher average salary, probably in the 4 -4.5 mil per year range. But if they only give him 2 years, then I'd guess the average will be around 3 mil.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #507
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
This is great news for Habs fans. It will provide a good baseline for Subban's contract. Same agent as well.

Derp!

lol
Not totally sure. I make the comparison with Fowler. It's not that Fowler had proven that he deserves $4m a year, but he's being paid based on the fact that he's the future of the Anaheim defense, much like Subban is for the Habs defense.

Del Zotto is behind Staal and McDonagh in that way. People forget that RFAs are paid just as much for their role on the team as they are for what their perceived open market value would be.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #508
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
At least twice as good. I'd settle for 5M/year on a 3 year (or 2 year) contract.
If he gets 5 mil per on a 2 year deal, your GM should be fired.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  #509
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Not totally sure. I make the comparison with Fowler. It's not that Fowler had proven that he deserves $4m a year, but he's being paid based on the fact that he's the future of the Anaheim defense, much like Subban is for the Habs defense.

Del Zotto is behind Staal and McDonagh in that way. People forget that RFAs are paid just as much for their role on the team as they are for what their perceived open market value would be.
I think it has a lot more to do with the number of years. Fowler's contract was for 5 years, which bought 1 of his UFA years.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  #510
FanHabtic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If he gets 5 mil per on a 2 year deal, your GM should be fired.
I don't think its unreasonable. Subban is a #1 dman right now and if you look at comparables, that is what the market dictates. Will Subban give the habs a discount? That is the question. Maybe 2 or 3 years at 4.75M/year. That would be fantastic.

FanHabtic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
  #511
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I think it has a lot more to do with the number of years. Fowler's contract was for 5 years, which bought 1 of his UFA years.
And judging by the general rule that UFA years are worth 50% more than RFA years, he got paid about $3.5 per year for his RFA ones.

A similar contract for MDZ would've resulted in something like

2.55
2.55
3.00
3.00
4.15

AAV $3.05m

Fowler still got paid a lot more.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  #512
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
Good job getting MDZ at that price. He's the Rangers' #1 offensive Dman.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  #513
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I don't think its unreasonable. Subban is a #1 dman right now and if you look at comparables, that is what the market dictates. Will Subban give the habs a discount? That is the question. Maybe 2 or 3 years at 4.75M/year. That would be fantastic.
Haven't you guys learned anything from the MDZ thread? lol.

Less years = lower average for a non-arb eligible RFA. If you would pay him 5 mil per for 2 years, would you pay him 7 per for 5 or 6 years? Because that's basically what you're saying.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
  #514
FanHabtic*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Haven't you guys learned anything from the MDZ thread? lol.

Less years = lower average for a non-arb eligible RFA. If you would pay him 5 mil per for 2 years, would you pay him 7 per for 5 or 6 years? Because that's basically what you're saying.
My point is 5M/year on a 3 year deal and 4.5 to 4.75M/year on a 2 year deal. I don't see Subban getting a longterm deal (like he wants). He will have to go the route of the 2 or 3 year deal like all the other Habs RFA's. This is likely what he will and should get. I would be shocked if it was less dollars and that is using MDZ as a comparable.

FanHabtic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
  #515
Krams
Banned User
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: [unknown]
Country:
Posts: 5,447
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
since Anisimov isnt a Ranger anymore.. substitute him for Montoya
Laughed hard at this.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
  #516
Aceonfire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
People seem to forget that Sather put together one of the greatest teams to ever hit the ice...

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:46 PM
  #517
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 70,663
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Good job getting MDZ at that price. He's the Rangers' #1 offensive Dman.
I think it goes without saying he wont get traded now

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
  #518
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,686
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think it goes without saying he wont get traded now
He really never was in the first place.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:00 PM
  #519
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast
 
The Gloaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Derp.




Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Super Duper Derp.



Derp.



Derp.



Morale of the story here folks, you don't know as much about the Rangers, Del Zotto, and Glen Sather as you think you do. Numerous Rangers fans have been saying MDZ is going to sign for about 2.5~3M. We've included facts that justified that number. But you refused to listen to people who actually understand how the team functions.

4M?

Won't sign him for anything less than 3M

Checkmate.
It's early, but I nominate this for post of the year.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:15 PM
  #520
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
And judging by the general rule that UFA years are worth 50% more than RFA years, he got paid about $3.5 per year for his RFA ones.

A similar contract for MDZ would've resulted in something like

2.55
2.55
3.00
3.00
4.15

AAV $3.05m

Fowler still got paid a lot more.
Fowler's contract doesn't begin until the 2013-2014 season. He's still on his ELC for this season. That alone adds to the value. Combine that with the 5 year length, and the value is a lot closer than you're allowing.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
  #521
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Fowler's contract doesn't begin until the 2013-2014 season. He's still on his ELC for this season. That alone adds to the value. Combine that with the 5 year length, and the value is a lot closer than you're allowing.
Fowler's also set to become a UFA.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  #522
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Fowler's also set to become a UFA.
All players eventually are.

In the end, Fowler will still have 4 years left on his contract, when MDZ is looking for his next payday.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
  #523
Sloth Slothersons*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Sign and trade to Edmonton?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  #524
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
All players eventually are.

In the end, Fowler will still have 4 years left on his contract, when MDZ is looking for his next payday.
He won't make much with the softer cap. Probably 4m tops unless he elevates his game to the next level.

Just glad Sather doesn't give out undeserved contracts to his RFAs unlike some other teams.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
  #525
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,181
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He won't make much with the softer cap. Probably 4m tops unless he elevates his game to the next level.

Just glad Sather doesn't give out undeserved contracts to his RFAs unlike some other teams.
It can sometimes work out to your benefit. If you anticipate the breakout season, you can end up underpaying for the length of the contract. Ryan Getzlaf is a good example of that. They anticipated a breakout season early in his contract, and he ended up being a bargain. In his case, he pretty much broke out his very first season under the new contract, but I'd call that fortuitous. Even if it had been in the second or third season, Anaheim would have come out ahead.

On the other hand, if the player underachieves and doesn't hit that next level, you're going to be paying more than you should. It isn't without risk. In Fowler's case, he could just as easily breakout this season, in the final year of his ELC, and then we're looking at a five year contract where he could be getting paid below market value.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.