HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

vCash: 500
Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part VI

Carry On

There’s a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. It’s a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, I’d take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Wetcoaster

Which "Carry On" would that be?

Sergeant?

Nurse?

Teacher?

Constable?

Or just Carry On regardless???

Old
01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Old
01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Old
01-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I'm an atheist, as most of you probably know, and when I read this little story on facebook I thought it was ridiculous.

Quote:
I was standing in line at the store today and I was looking at the man in front of me. He had long nasty dirty hair, dirty cloths, I was thinking to my self he looks likes like he just came from a drug house. In front of him was an elderly lady who was having a hard time walking and looking very frail. I heard her say she didn't have enough money for her food. That was when I heard the man in front of me say to the cashier, Just put it on my bill I will take care of it for her. It just made me want to cry. Never ever judge a book by its cover!You never know who your angel might be. God is so awesome!
I think this is bs. When she sees the guy, she starts stereotyping him right away. Then he pays for the old lady's groceries, and instead of saying anything nice about the guy, she says the guy must have been an angel and that God is awesome. I think the guy who actually paid deserved at least a little credit here. Am I being overly sensitive?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
I think this is bs. When she sees the guy, she starts stereotyping him right away. Then he pays for the old lady's groceries, and instead of saying anything nice about the guy, she says the guy must have been an angel and that God is awesome. I think the guy who actually paid deserved at least a little credit here. Am I being overly sensitive?
Yes you are. To her, calling someone an angel is a huge compliment. So she actually did what you wanted her to do, she gave the man credit, just from her point of view.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

I don't read it that way, I don't think she was complimenting him she was complimenting an angel (which he most likely wasn't, hell he may have actually been a drug dealer or something) and gave all the credit to God. Maybe the guy is just scraping by and paying for her groceries was very taxing for him. I don't think God needs any more credit, let's recognize people who do nice things like that.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
I don't read it that way, I don't think she was complimenting him she was complimenting an angel (which he most likely wasn't, hell he may have actually been a drug dealer or something) and gave all the credit to God. Maybe the guy is just scraping by and paying for her groceries was very taxing for him. I don't think God needs any more credit, let's recognize people who do nice things like that.
I can't believe I'm actually quoting Gandalf but it's like he said in The Hobbit: "I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love." God doesn't make me keep the door open for an elderly lady at a store/shop.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I can't believe I'm actually quoting Gandalf but it's like he said in The Hobbit: "I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love." God doesn't make me keep the door open for an elderly lady at a store/shop.
That's what I think too. If I do something nice for someone, it has nothing to do with God, I just try to be a good person. I won't quibble if she wants to thank God for it, but I think she can still direct a little credit to the guy who is out the cost of the old lady's groceries.

Additionally, the lady who wrote this story could have chipped in or something to help out the guy taking in this cost, but she did not feel it was necessary because it was God who was paying for it. I think that's a terrible way to look at things. When she thought the guy was a hoodlum it was all on him, when he does something nice God gets the credit. The only thing she got right IMO was that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Barack Obama

‎"The Administration does not support blowing up planets." The official White House response to a petition to begin construction of a Death Star: http://OFA.BO/yfxWt3

Old
01-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by led zappa View Post
barack obama

‎"the administration does not support blowing up planets." the official white house response to a petition to begin construction of a death star: http://ofa.bo/yfxwt3
zomg obama wasting time on humor!!!

Old
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Sirquacksalot
Raging Boner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Barack Obama

‎"The Administration does not support blowing up planets." The official White House response to a petition to begin construction of a Death Star: http://OFA.BO/yfxWt3
But this means that he considered blowing them up before he concluded not to. Obama actually considered blowing up a planet but he wants to take away our guns! Before the Emperor formed the Galactic Empire he took away all their blasters! Now Emperor Maobama wants to do the same! Thankfully the National Blaster Association is on our side.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

I hate MSNBC and I am a strong CNN homer who believes they are the best news network out there right now

But I am aware that this "Morning Joe" is popular television for the littles

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2447147.html

Quote:
Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski had a huge fight on Thursday's "Morning Joe."

The blowup came after the two argued repeatedly about the diversity in President Obama's cabinet, which has become an issue in recent days as one white man after another is nominated to top positions. Scarborough said that a Republican would be facing far more criticism than a Democrat for such actions. Brzezinski defended Obama, saying he had had women at all levels of his government and that his policies had benefited women.

Scarborough began jokingly mentioning things like the Lily Ledbetter act under his breath. Brzezinski grew increasingly angry.

"You need to be quiet right now," she said, before really taking the plunge.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:13 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Barack Obama

Yeah, he says that now.

But wait until Yaeger leads the rebel forces against the Empire...

Old
01-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Isn't CNN mostly twitter posts and fluff pieces nowadays?

Old
01-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Do you think CNN is mostly Twitter posts and fluff pieces? Tweet us at @CNN and we'll read the best answers after our continuing coverage of puppies vs. kittens: which are cuter?

Old
01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Do you think CNN is mostly Twitter posts and fluff pieces? Tweet us at @CNN and we'll read the best answers after our continuing coverage of puppies vs. kittens: which are cuter?

Kind of a toss-up, eh?

Old
01-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Pretty sad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/te...ies-at-26.html

Old
01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Wetcoaster

The most corrupt country in the world? The US of A according to that well-known political analyst and pundit Jackie Chan who made the comment in a TV interview with China's Phoenix TV.

Chan says America is "the most corrupt [country] in the world" - not China. "
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-corrupt-china

See this link for a translation of his remarks (and a video of the interview):
Jackie Chan: The New China…The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the America, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Jackie: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

Jackie: Of course. Where does this Great Breakdown (depression) come from? It started exactly from the world, the United States. When I was interviewed in the U.S., people asked me, I said the same thing. I said now that China has become strong, everyone is making an issue of China. If our own countrymen don’t support our country, who will support our country? We know our country has many problems. We (can) talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, (we should say,) “our country is the best.”

Host: So he can’t get enough of his more than 20 ambassador titles. I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should ask him to be the ambassador to the United States.

Jackie: Seriously, I am always like, when the door is closed, “Our country is like this and this. Who and who is not good.” But outside, “Our country is the best, like so and so, is the best.” You cannot say our country has problems (when you are outside), like “Yes, our country is bad.”
http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2012/1...nned-in-china/

Old
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Pretty much, yes.

CNN: If We Didn't Already Read About It From Some Random Idiot On Twitter, It Probably Didn't Happen.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
Pretty much, yes.

CNN: If We Didn't Already Read About It From Some Random Idiot On Twitter, It Probably Didn't Happen.
Actually CNN doesn't use Twitter as much as you guys claim. And the use of Twitter / User Feedback is already being expanded outside CNN, so they're not the only one doing it. ABC News has been using user feedback for years in their "Made In America" segment, as well as other features on the nightly news. But when Carol Costello has one Twitter segment, suddenly CNN is "Twitter Network".

I notice they used to have Jack Cafferty read the Cafferty File with user feedback during "The Situation Room", but I don't think they have it anymore.

You could make the argument that from 1 PM to 9, CNN has the best newscasters on TV. Brooke Baldwin is highly intelligent, as well as attractive. Wolf Blitzer is one of the best in the business. Erin Burnett is highly intelligent as well as attractive. Anderson Cooper is a highly knowledgeable intellectual and one of the best reporters in the business.

I spend a lot of my time (even more now that I finally got cable) watching CNN, and I rarely have bad words to say about the greatest cable news network right now. I will say that Piers Morgan is being a total clown right now. His soapbox is intolerable. All he does is yell at guests and feign insult. "How dare you!" "Answer the question!" Then he brings up the same talking points that he trots out every time he wants to argue gun control. I have no agenda in the gun control debate, but you don't need one to be annoyed by Piers.

It's not Twitter that makes CNN un-watchable. It's Piers Morgan. The guy is a terrible debater. When you consider both MSNBC and FOX News are either interested in reporting fraudulent news or heavily biased news, CNN is the clear #1 choice in terms of integrity!

Old
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

http://news.yahoo.com/governor-brown...141509838.html

Quote:
California's budget deficit is gone after years of financial troubles, Governor Jerry Brown said on Thursday, proposing a state budget plan that would raise spending on education and healthcare, boosting total expenditures by 5 percent with a surplus remaining.
Wonder if AP has any thoughts on this.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The most corrupt country in the world? The US of A according to that well-known political analyst and pundit Jackie Chan who made the comment in a TV interview with China's Phoenix TV.

Chan says America is "the most corrupt [country] in the world" - not China. "
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...-corrupt-china

See this link for a translation of his remarks (and a video of the interview):
Jackie Chan: The New China…The real success has been made in the past dozen of years. Our country’s president also admits they have the corruption problem, and some other stuff, but we are making progress. What I can see is our country is continuously making progress and learning. If you talk about corruption, the entire world, the America, has no corruption?

Host: America.

Jackie: The most corrupt in the world.

Host: Really?

Jackie: Of course. Where does this Great Breakdown (depression) come from? It started exactly from the world, the United States. When I was interviewed in the U.S., people asked me, I said the same thing. I said now that China has become strong, everyone is making an issue of China. If our own countrymen don’t support our country, who will support our country? We know our country has many problems. We (can) talk about it when the door is closed. To outsiders, (we should say,) “our country is the best.”

Host: So he can’t get enough of his more than 20 ambassador titles. I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should ask him to be the ambassador to the United States.

Jackie: Seriously, I am always like, when the door is closed, “Our country is like this and this. Who and who is not good.” But outside, “Our country is the best, like so and so, is the best.” You cannot say our country has problems (when you are outside), like “Yes, our country is bad.”
http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2012/1...nned-in-china/
Am I the only one who has almost no clue what this dude was actually rambling about?

Old
01-13-2013, 05:57 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post

It can't be true can it?

And I am sure AP will have plenty to say but not much will actually be about what you posted.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post

trick question

Closed Thread