HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Maybe this is too optimistic, but it seems to me most folks' main problem with Lefebvre is who he chooses to give ice time to, rather than his systems.
What system? The Dogs are last in PP and 24th in PK. Last in goals for, 4th last in goals against. The only thing he has going for him is that the team is young. Now the Dogs have a bunch of vets with DeSantis, Chaput, Tenute, Commodore, Stortini, Blunden, St.Denis, Dejardins, and a returning Palushaj from injury that all get significant icetime.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

vCash: 500
I hope Moen-Prust-Bourque comes out of camp. I'd love to see them together versus Toronto.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Probably. Eller as the LW on offensive minded lines has been tried a few times, it never clicked.
He's never looked good with Plekanec or Gomez, I'd like to see how he fares with Desharnais or Galchenyuk who are puck possession players just like him.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Moneyman2k6

I think this video was from yesterday practice but still fun to watch Price made a nice save on Gionta hahaha (miss an empty net lol) and Eller shows a sick shot on the posthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pP4zQjOt_8

Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Guilliam

Eller has played often on the LW with very poor results. But I remember seeing him on the RW maybe one game or two and thought he looked better. Unfortunately, with Gionta and Cole in the top 6, if we see Eller on the wing it will be on the left so we're better off leaving him as a third line C with wingers that are more competent offensively than what he had to deal with last season (at least one of Bourque and Galchenyuk and maybe Armstrong on the right).

Old
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
FreakyFish

So Sly doesnt have a system and Therrien is like him so he hasnt a system...

Welcome to MTL

Old
01-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Danny Dubé (http://www.985sports.ca/) regarding Therrien's challenge to implement a new system within such a short time frame:

- A less elaborated offensive system: very straight forward, very linear. Charging the net, rebounds, deviation... Watch out for more groin injuries; Dubé even mentioned 15% more.

- Defensive system: cut the ice in two, defensive zone cover, overload type: only 1 guy on the opposite side, the 4 other guys jamming the short (in French: premier poteau = 1/3 of the rink's width) side. He likes this strategy because it should help our not so good (I agree with his evaluation) D squad.

Just to be clear: that's what he saw on the ice in Brossard; this is not his suggestions.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Danny Dubé (http://www.985sports.ca/) regarding Therrien's challenge to implement a new system within such a short time frame (based on his observations in Brossard):

- A less elaborated offensive system: very straight forward, very linear. Charging the net, rebounds, deviation... Watch out for more groin injuries; Dubé even mentioned 15% more.

- Defensive system: cut the ice in two, defensive zone cover, overload type: only 1 guy on the opposite side, the 4 other guys jamming the short (in French: premier poteau = 1/3 of the rink's width) side. He likes this strategy because it should help our not so good (I agree with his evaluation) D squad.
From where did he get "15%"?

I like the sound of Therrien's approach. We certainly have the size and speed to execute it well.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
From where did he get "15%"?

I like the sound of Therrien's approach. We certainly have the size and speed to execute it well.
The 15% also made me lol... very precise eh!

However, I would not be surprised if it is truly based on solid observations and/or scientific articles... I mean, we are chatting about Dubé here: the guy is a nerd... I mean pro!

Old
01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Therrien: "Vous allez voir différentes expériences cette semaine, que ce soit par exemple Lars Eller à l'aile ou Alex Galchenyuk au centre."

NO ELLER ON WING FFS!
Why is this a problem? Get guys used to playing more than one position. With Gomez gone he will definitely play center once the games start.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Danny Dubé (http://www.985sports.ca/) regarding Therrien's challenge to implement a new system within such a short time frame:

Just to be clear: that's what he saw on the ice in Brossard; this is not his suggestions.
So basically the same thing.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:

I noticed a lot of puck support and use of the boards on breakouts. Defensively too, lots of support.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
So basically the same thing.
In such a limited time frame, we should not expect a revolution. I do however wish/expect for a more aggressive (vs Martin) forecheck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I noticed a lot of puck support and use of the boards on breakouts. Defensively too, lots of support.
Thanks for the update.

I hate our D squad because I think a lot of our Ds bring a redundant contribution: soft offensive defensemen. I really wish for a big, experienced and tough stay at home Dman! However the upside of Subban, Markov, Kaberle, Diaz, Weber, Saint-Denis… should be a better transition. One where we should be able to exit our zone in freakin' control!

That's why I hate this part: "... and use of the boards on breakouts..."

That's Gill all over again.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
In such a limited time frame, we should not expect a revolution. I do however wish/expect for a more aggressive (vs Martin) forecheck.
How bout more fights?

Old
01-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Habs

Is numb-nuts employing his old dump & chase system back to Montreal? Because , that's what it sounds like from what is being described.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I expect a more aggressive forecheck. I just think that this team is not meant to be a dump & chase, point shot team.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Nedved

Quote:

I don't get this. I think defense is our strength this year, especially if markov remains healthy and once subban is signed. Can anybody clarify this for me?!?!?! I just think it's above average d.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
The 15% also made me lol... very precise eh!

However, I would not be surprised if it is truly based on solid observations and/or scientific articles... I mean, we are chatting about Dubé here: the guy is a nerd... I mean pro!
He mentioned a few days ago there were 15% more injuries in the 66 game season in the NBA last year, probably why he said that.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I don't get this. I think defense is our strength this year, especially if markov remains healthy and once subban is signed. Can anybody clarify this for me?!?!?! I just think it's above average d.
Our defense lacks presence around the net, it should keep scoring chances on the perimeter.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Domhnall Dubh
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He mentioned a few days ago there were 15% more injuries in the 66 game season in the NBA last year, probably why he said that.
Oh, I thought he was talking about Therrien's system specifically.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What system? The Dogs are last in PP and 24th in PK. Last in goals for, 4th last in goals against. The only thing he has going for him is that the team is young. Now the Dogs have a bunch of vets with DeSantis, Chaput, Tenute, Commodore, Stortini, Blunden, St.Denis, Dejardins, and a returning Palushaj from injury that all get significant icetime.
The team is also the youngest - so, lest experienced - in the AHL. Could be a good reason for the lackluster performances so far + the team had serious injuries to its key players , Geoffrion, Leblanc. Nattinen, Palushaj. Patteryn was also playing good hockey.

Way to early to judge the coaching staff. With many other AHL teams losing key players to the NHL this week, we gonna see how the Xogs gonna perform in the zecond half of the season.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
why would defense be our strength? What top 10 or 15 dmen in the league do we have on our roster? our top 2 are georges and subban(who is not signed). Who knows what we get out of markov, then we have emelin, kaberle, diaz, weber, boulion and maybe Mike Comedore if there are injuries. That's not a very strong d on paper

Old
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Our defense lacks presence around the net, it should keep scoring chances on the perimeter.
hmmm... I think will be a great puck possession team. With the ability to control the play. Emelin, gorges, subban, are fine in front of the net. We may need one more nice piece, but I don't think it's necessary not yet, anyways.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyman2k6 View Post
I think this video was from yesterday practice but still fun to watch Price made a nice save on Gionta hahaha (miss an empty net lol) and Eller shows a sick shot on the posthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pP4zQjOt_8
Can't watch it on mobile..

Old
01-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
why would defense be our strength? What top 10 or 15 dmen in the league do we have on our roster? our top 2 are georges and subban(who is not signed). Who knows what we get out of markov, then we have emelin, kaberle, diaz, weber, boulion and maybe Mike Comedore if there are injuries. That's not a very strong d on paper
Call me crazy...I think Markov will be our best player this year and it won't even be close. Do people forget how talented and smart this guy is?? anytime he's on the nice he is creating chances while keeping the puck out of scoring areas.

Closed Thread