HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

PK Subban for Nail Yakupov

Old
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
sheed36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Subban is good, but Yakupov is gonna be a superstar.

This is one of the worst proposals I've ever seen. The Oilers hang up laughing.
Just curious but what in your opinion would be a fair trade if Subban were traded to the Oilers?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Sasso09

When both teams say hell no usually it's even.... I think it's pretty even tbh

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:08 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
When both teams say hell no usually it's even.... I think it's pretty even tbh
Except in the Habs case its a move they cannot afford to make due to team needs. In the Oilers case its the opposite. They could use a bonafide top pairing D-man over a potential top-line winger.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcounty17 View Post
As a Bruins fan I would hope the Habs TRADE Subban. Losing him and adding yakupov would be a great way to secure a top pick in a very deep draft. The thought of Galy, Yak, and Jones or whomever you get is a great core to build around. I also understand how beloved PK is by Montreal and how nobody wants to see their team tank, but that, in my opinion, would be great for the future of the Habs.
Totally agree plus PK is probably looking for a boat load of cash right now! Make the trade then Mtl has a great core to build around PLUS the Habs do not have PK's huge contract and I'm sure it will be. PLUS after this year...no Gomez no Kaberle or whomever else they buy out., this leaves a ton of cap space to get a pile of FA's and let's not forget all the 2nd rounders Mtl already has for the next draft...it's a no brainer to do this deal.

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:16 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan2992 View Post
Totally agree plus PK is probably looking for a boat load of cash right now! Make the trade then Mtl has a great core to build around PLUS the Habs do not have PK's huge contract and I'm sure it will be. PLUS after this year...no Gomez no Kaberle or whomever else they buy out., this leaves a ton of cap space to get a pile of FA's and let's not forget all the 2nd rounders Mtl already has for the next draft...it's a no brainer to do this deal.
Except PK is great for the Habs present AND future. Why roll the dice then hope to tank? What does that say about the Habs management (or dare i say mismanagement).

Yakupov is irrelevant. He played with Galy in Sarnia - so what? If Galy is a special talent, he will develop chemistry with his teammates no matter where he plays. He's proven that in Sarnia by being the 2nd leading point getter in the OHL (prior to the World Juniors) without Yakupov.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Except PK is great for the Habs present AND future. Why roll the dice then hope to tank? What does that say about the Habs management (or dare i say mismanagement).

Yakupov is irrelevant. He played with Galy in Sarnia - so what? If Galy is a special talent, he will develop chemistry with his teammates no matter where he plays. He's proven that in Sarnia by being the 2nd leading point getter in the OHL (prior to the World Juniors) without Yakupov.
I agree with you also but if the trade is made it's more about the cash and MB's 1st tenure as a GM starting off fresh with a great core and a boat load of cash to start with. If Mtl did make that trade I think it would be a couple of years before yak can go for the big pay day like PK is now. so it's more about saving and evaluating. Also there are a couple of prospects on the Dogs that can come up in a year or so and again with all of that coin there is a good crop of FA's in the summer so who knows. I think it's about having more choices and I honestly think PK will not sign for anything less than 4m per year so think of that contract off of the books to start next year.

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Except in the Habs case its a move they cannot afford to make due to team needs. In the Oilers case its the opposite. They could use a bonafide top pairing D-man over a potential top-line winger.
While I agree that the trade makes more sense for EDM than it does for the Habs, I still think the prospects of having Gally and Yak together for years to come is tempting... It also could be argued by EDM that they have a solid young defense in Whitney, Smid, Petry and the emergence of Schultz .... PK would be there best player but for a team like EDM theyre competing for the future, they don't need instant improvement... They have to see what they have with yakupov first... Because yakupov is probably going to end up more valuable than Subban.. It's not a guarantee but it's more than likely.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just curious but what in your opinion would be a fair trade if Subban were traded to the Oilers?
Subban for Hemsky

Old
01-13-2013, 12:11 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I don't make the trade if I'm Montreal. Subban's strong on his skates, has good size (he's about as solid as a guy his height can be), tremendous skater with a cannon (even though that cannon isn't exactly accurate). D as strong as him with his mobility usually have long, successful careers.

Sometimes he hurts his team by pulling a Jarkko Ruutu act (this gets Subban off the game he needs to play to be successful more than it does the other team), but he's doing less of it lately and otherwise, the guy is the prototype post-2005 defenseman.

I don't know how well I think Yakupov's game will translate. He's got an awful small frame to play the way he does.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:16 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I don't make the trade if I'm Montreal. Subban's strong on his skates, has good size (he's about as solid as a guy his height can be), tremendous skater with a cannon (even though that cannon isn't exactly accurate). D as strong as him with his mobility usually have long, successful careers.

Sometimes he hurts his team by pulling a Jarkko Ruutu act (this gets Subban off the game he needs to play to be successful more than it does the other team), but he's doing less of it lately and otherwise, the guy is the prototype post-2005 defenseman.

I don't know how well I think Yakupov's game will translate. He's got an awful small frame to play the way he does.
190 lbs as a rookie isn't exactly small. I think he'll be okay.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:55 AM
The Right Price

Oilers would've have to add considerably on Yakupov.

Subban = proven he can play top minutes in the NHL for the next five years and be a Top 2 d man in the NHL.

Yakupov = has played 0 NHL games and from where I'm standing he might not even reach PK's level of play in his prime.

I always said that Oilers should've drafted Murray, not Yakupov. The marginal increase to their offensive in Yakupov is smaller than their increase would've been if they added Murray to their D.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
While I agree that the trade makes more sense for EDM than it does for the Habs, I still think the prospects of having Gally and Yak together for years to come is tempting... It also could be argued by EDM that they have a solid young defense in Whitney, Smid, Petry and the emergence of Schultz .... PK would be there best player but for a team like EDM theyre competing for the future, they don't need instant improvement... They have to see what they have with yakupov first... Because yakupov is probably going to end up more valuable than Subban.. It's not a guarantee but it's more than likely.
The Oilers have no more need to make this trade than the Habs.

At the end of last year the Oilers had a significant need for a RHD to mesh with RHN on the pp. Petry played extremely well in the last half of the year and actually had decent numbers with 16 of his 25 points in the last 40 games. He looks like he could become a very good two way defenseman with a solid physical game, but he was probably not the the guy for the role above. But now they have Schultz who seems tailor made for that role. So while I have no interest in arguing about how good Schultz and Petry might be compared with Subban, the fact is that the Oilers already have two RHD with significant potential.

One of the main issues the Oilers had last year was an almost complete lack of secondary scoring. Yakupov helps address this issue And more. His presence gives the team a lot of flexibility in how they set there line-up in the top 9. He also is a a very good addition to their second pp, as Hemsky likes to work the left half wall and look for the cross ice-one timer.

So it would seem that the Habs need Subban and the Oilers need Yakupov.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Oilers would've have to add considerably on Yakupov.

Subban = proven he can play top minutes in the NHL for the next five years and be a Top 2 d man in the NHL.

Yakupov = has played 0 NHL games and from where I'm standing he might not even reach PK's level of play in his prime.

I always said that Oilers should've drafted Murray, not Yakupov. The marginal increase to their offensive in Yakupov is smaller than their increase would've been if they added Murray to their D.
With respect to your last comment, it turns out that almost every Oiler fan disagrees with you and did so going into the draft as well.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-13-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:05 AM
feds91

ryan murray is not a player you would draft 1st overall, now way oilers should have picked him over yakupov. both fan bases say no to the trade, but if you remove your homer glasses, i think it's a fair trade. way more fair then the duchesne for gardiner trade someone else posted.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:06 AM
CJV123

Yakupov has more value in trade since there is a salary cap and Subban's new contract will pay him essentially his full worth- PK won't be a "bargain" while Yak is. But, in terms of the hockey production, it's a very fair trade, perhaps even slightly in Subban's favor.

Last edited by CJV123: 01-13-2013 at 10:06 AM.
CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
TheNuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicepus Maximus View Post
Reunite the Russians and help solidify Oilers' defense...

Suggested here.

Flame away.
The general consensus from both fan bases saying no, that the deal has some immenint fair value, I would say oilers have to add a 2nd as yakupov is unproven at the NHL level, and pernell Karl is....

As for habs fans yakupov n galchenyuk are guys you would want to build around with price in the net, it doesn't set you back at all now or for the future, pk is looking for doughty money accordin to reports, and nail couldn't receive big money for another 3 years+ so if anything it helps you guys get cap off the books and pick up some depth defenseman.

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:11 AM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNuge View Post
The general consensus from both fan bases saying no, that the deal has some immenint fair value, I would say oilers have to add a 2nd as yakupov is unproven at the NHL level, and pernell Karl is....
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNuge View Post
As for habs fans yakupov n galchenyuk are guys you would want to build around with price in the net, it doesn't set you back at all now or for the future, pk is looking for doughty money accordin to reports, and nail couldn't receive big money for another 3 years+ so if anything it helps you guys get cap off the books and pick up some depth defenseman.
It would set the habs back as we would have a massive hole on D. Depth dmen wouldn't help the situation. The Habs need a young #1 dman with superstar potential. Paying him what he is due is part of the game. Is he looking for Doughty money? No one knows. His agent has denied all of those reports.

Yakupov is a luxury not a necessity. PK is a necessity and a luxury all in one. To Habs fans PK >>> Yakupov.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:17 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I'm going to gracefully say no out of respect for both sides.

From Oilers POV:

This deal would have been far more intriguing before we landed Schultz. I'm not going to get into who is/will be better between him and Subban, but I think Schultz WILL be good enough, that Subban on this team is redundant. We now have a much greater need for shut-down d-men. Yakupov has 40-50 goal potential. You don't trade that for something that you don't need.

From Habs POV:

They know what they have in Subban and Yaks is an unknown. Montreal has a great young core on defence developing. As long as they can get Subban to stay, keep them all there, and just draft forwards for the next few years. It's unlikely that you'll land a Yakupov, but that type of player doesn't win you cups anyway. He's just a great Support player.

It's like the Leafs trade for Kessel. He's a great player, and a great scorer. But he's not the guy you trade for to build your offense around. He's the guy you should trade for when you need that final threat upfront.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I'm going to gracefully say no out of respect for both sides.

From Oilers POV:

This deal would have been far more intriguing before we landed Schultz. I'm not going to get into who is/will be better between him and Subban, but I think Schultz WILL be good enough, that Subban on this team is redundant. We now have a much greater need for shut-down d-men. Yakupov has 40-50 goal potential. You don't trade that for something that you don't need.

From Habs POV:

They know what they have in Subban and Yaks is an unknown. Montreal has a great young core on defence developing. As long as they can get Subban to stay, keep them all there, and just draft forwards for the next few years. It's unlikely that you'll land a Yakupov, but that type of player doesn't win you cups anyway. He's just a great Support player.

It's like the Leafs trade for Kessel. He's a great player, and a great scorer. But he's not the guy you trade for to build your offense around. He's the guy you should trade for when you need that final threat upfront.
Subban is good at this, he is a complete defenseman

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
sansabri
aka 'full sansabri'

the Habs need a player like PK much more than someone like Yakupov; even if Nail becomes a PPG all-star.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
Subban is good at this, he is a complete defenseman
Yes, and so are Smid and Petry. We need someone who is GREAT at it.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Chacal667

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Yes, and so are Smid and Petry. We need someone who is GREAT at it.
Subban is great at this, he finished the season at +10 by playing vs top line, and our pk was one of the best in the league

Chacal667 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Not doubting Yak's talent or his potential, but some of you are acting like it's highway robbery for Montreal in a 1-1 trade and that's just completely false.

Above and beyond the (what should be) obvious fact that this isn't good for Montreal at all, and would (at the moment) benefit Edmonton far more... some of you seem to not realize just how rare and coveted a top pairing RH PMD who's defensively solid is for teams, especially one who's this young and already proven.

Disclaimer: Not a Habs fans. Not at all.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
LeMAD

It's really not as stupid as some of you say it is.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Sure. If the Leafs make the playoffs, it would make sense. But it doesn't make sense if they end up giving up a top 5 pick in a very deep draft + Reilly (a top 5 pick himself) for Yakupov, who is not the best 1st overall pick ever.
If they did this deal, mine as well go after Lu. With Lu they are at least close to a playoff team. Look at all the forwards who have gone first overall since 2000.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote