HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos

Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
wtbipyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
has he had the chance to play a support role with two very skilled players in the AHL? Or has he been put in a position to try to be "the guy?" I seriously haven't watched but based on the team around him, I think I know the answer.

The position that is open in the NHL is completely different than anything that can be shown in the AHL. That role simply doesn't exist on the WBS team. Tangradi may never be a top 6 NHLer. We don't know. I can even understand having doubts. But there is still a chance at least. TK and Cooke will NOT be top 6 NHLers. We have seen enough evidence to know that at this point. If Tangradi fails at that spot, TK can step in after 25 games and fill the role exactly how he would fill it if he was in that spot this coming Saturday. That's why I would try Tangradi there. At least there's a chance of it working out.
I think Kunitz spoiled us there. I want Tangradi to prove me wrong, and I agree the roles are different. But can Tangradi get the puck off the wall and forecheck to set up Geno/Neal?

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Agreed although Dupuis did show a bit of a goal scorer prowess last season. I wouldn't be crushed if he was on Sid's wing going into the playoffs as long Sid had a skilled winger (assuming Kunitz gets put back with Malkin and Neal).

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis with TK on the 4th would be nice as well.

Something I thought about...what about Dustin Brown? What might it take to get him? LA didn't put it all together until the last minute...no telling if they will even make the playoffs this year. If they are out of the hunt...any possibility he might be available?

Brown-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

would be a tough Top 6 to manage over a 7 game series.
Shero getting Lombardi very, very drunk.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
I will admit that a lot of my thoughts come from watching him in the past few WBS games plus NHL games last season. How long do we wait on him though and can we chance him in a 48 game season?

This all stems from DB not letting youth play like other organizations...
He's 23. Not 28.

Our fans are so spoiled by Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, MAF, that few truly understand how long normal, but talented prospects take to make an impact.

Of course they need regular shifts to do that.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
What does 9k posts in a decade have to do with you stating something that isn't true?

Don't act all ******** because you make a ridiculous claim and people call you on it.

As I said, you didn't have to come on here to know Tangradi wasn't given a chance. All you had to do was watch the games.
Don't post about agendas then.

Watched all 82 last season. Watched the past three WBS games. I want him to get to that point, but I just don't see it. And no way DB lets 10-12 games go by for Tangradi on that line in a 48 game season.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
He's 23. Not 28.

Our fans are so spoiled by Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang, MAF, that few truly understand how long normal, but talented prospects take to make an impact.

Of course they need regular shifts to do that.
Very true. But we are a perenial contender. Is it time to try him out or trade for someone older, but polished?

Old
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I think Kunitz spoiled us there. I want Tangradi to prove me wrong, and I agree the roles are different. But can Tangradi get the puck off the wall and forecheck to set up Geno/Neal?
I don't know. But I want to find out.

Quote:
Very true. But we are a perenial contender. Is it time to try him out or trade for someone older, but polished?
This is a legitimate question. I really don't know. But I am strongly against giving the spot to the guys we have who are older but not polished.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate the Penguins.

As much as I would spray my shorts to see BB get a sticking top 6 spot with Sid or Geno for the season... do any of you REALLY have faith given Disco track record that even if by some miracle he gets a shot in the first few games, Dan won't easily pull him off that line within 3 shifts if he doesn't have a hat trick?

I have absolutely no faith in Dan to give BB a proper spot and lengthy look / stay where we so desperately need it and that just pisses me right off.

ObsessedCreative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Shero shouldn't need that signal anyway. Ideal world, this team goes into the playoffs with a third line of Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis.
That's asking a lot this season unfortunately. We would need Tangradi and Bennett to be Top 6 worthy AND trade for a winger (assuming TK isn't one of your Top 6 options).

I'm a bit worried about scoring goals this season. Staal and Sullivan were big contributers offensively and are gone. And I don't think we can expect Dupuis and Cooke to score at nearly the pace that they did last year. Sid being healthy all season obviously makes up for some of that but I'd sure like another good winger brought in.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
I don't know. But I want to find out.

This is a legitimate question. I really don't know. But I am strongly against giving the spot to the guys we have who are older but not polished.
Completely agree. I don't want TK or Cookie there. I love Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy. Tomorrows practice with Malkin there will be interesting...

Old
01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Agreed. DB might not have given many top 6 shifts...

But why are we giving this guy a shot with basically the top line in the NHL? His work in the AHL is average and we all gripe about his work ethic. I know PWFs take some time, but Bennett is already ahead of him. Bennett or a trade for me...
I don't think there are any complaints about that. He's a worker if anything. It's just a matter of he can put it all together.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Agreed although Dupuis did show a bit of a goal scorer prowess last season. I wouldn't be crushed if he was on Sid's wing going into the playoffs as long Sid had a skilled winger (assuming Kunitz gets put back with Malkin and Neal).

Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis with TK on the 4th would be nice as well.

Something I thought about...what about Dustin Brown? What might it take to get him? LA didn't put it all together until the last minute...no telling if they will even make the playoffs this year. If they are out of the hunt...any possibility he might be available?

Brown-Crosby-Dupuis
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

would be a tough Top 6 to manage over a 7 game series.
Dude, in all honesty and as loco as it sounds there is no way in HELL you are getting Brown from the kings now short of offering Malkin or Crosby. (and we know that is never happening) Yes as redic as that sounds, it is just not going to happen, not only would it be a team crushing move, it would send the fan base into an uproar.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Don't post about agendas then.
That post wasn't even made with you in mind, I had about a dozen other people I was thinking of.

Don't be so sensitive.

Quote:
You want him to develop? Give him a real shot.

If he fails, then you know he isn't the answer.

Kunitz is getting up there, Dupuis is in the top six and there is a vacant hole as well, yet people think because BB is doing well, Tangradi should be cast aside. After these two it is slim pickings.

I don't see the logic for wanting to root agt Tangradi and rush a 23 yr old kid with talent out of the door.

The spoiled nature of our fanbase just pisses me off at times.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 01-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 03:02 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
That post wasn't even made with you in mind, I had about a dozen other people I was thinking of.

Don't be so sensitive.

Why would you trade him before you know what he can do?

You want him to develop? Give him a real shot.

If he fails, then you know he isn't the answer.

Kunitz is getting up there, Dupuis is in the top six and there is a vacant hole as well, yet people think because BB is doing well, Tangradi should be cast aside. After these two it is slim pickings.

I don't see the logic for wanting to root agt Tangradi and rush a 23 yr old kid with talent out of the door.

The spoiled nature of our fanbase just pisses me off at times.
I hear ya man. We all just want the best line possible while the core is prime. If its playing him to see if he helps us, then I hope he proves me wrong. Do you think he gets traded at the deadline if it doesn't work out this season? He has to clear waivers to go down again, right?

Old
01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I hear ya man. We all just want the best line possible while the core is prime. If its playing him to see if he helps us, then I hope he proves me wrong. Do you think he gets traded at the deadline if it doesn't work out this season? He has to clear waivers to go down again, right?
You need at least two years of regular NHL ice before you have an idea how a young player is going to turn out.

Tangradi has value as a bottom sixer with his skill and size, so if he flames out in the top six, switch him with TK or Cooke.

As I keep pointing out, King was well below avg in the A, had much less pedigree than Tangradi, yet was given a shot right out of the A to play on Richards line in LA. He literally did nothing to earn that spot except be a big body, which the Kings were looking for.

Once everyone was healthy he was put on the third line and I'm 100% sure the Kings don't win the cup without his timely goals.

Youth can't reward you if you don't give them the opportunity.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 01-13-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
You need at least two years of regular NHL ice before you have an idea how a young player is going to turn out.

Tangradi has value as a bottom sixer with his skill and size, so if he flames out in the top six, switch him with TK or Cooke.

As I keep pointing out, King was well below avg in the A, had much less pedigree than Tangradi, yet was given a shot right out of the A to play on Richards line in LA. He literally did nothing to earn that spot except be a big body, which the Kings were looking for.

Once everyone was healthy he was put on the third line and I'm 100% sure the Kings don't win the cup without his timely goals.

good post

Hottubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:20 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:

Very good post. So Tangradi, Bennett or Jeffrey on that second line? Saves us a lot of cap to help our D if someone works out.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Very good post. So Tangradi, Bennett or Jeffrey on that second line? Saves us a lot of cap to help our D if someone works out.
I'm hoping it is one of the three, but don't feel very confident given DB past decisions.

I've been defending DB since the Summer, so I hope I am right.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
I'm hoping it is one of the three, but don't feel very confident given DB past decisions.

He gets the guys to play hard, but he needs to take some chances. Vitale was given that 4th line and stuck (hate when he was scratched in playoffs). He needs to get off his grinding horse and let these creative youth players play.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:

Fully agree with everything you're saying, both on DB and the need to eventually let these young guys prove themselves. They will never be proven until they get a chance and they will never get a chance if you only play guys that are already proven.

Pick87your71Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Fully agree with everything you're saying, both on DB and the need to eventually let these young guys prove themselves. They will never be proven until they get a chance and they will never get a chance if you only play guys that are already proven.
Very true but the vets we have - have their place.

Example: Everyone wants to ditch Adams...well guess what...Adams is a great PK'er for us. Replace him with...who on the pk? Jeffrey? Tangradi?

If this was Oct 12, I would be with you 100%. Giving Tangradi a 5-10 game run with Malkin and Neal would be doable. Same thing with Bennett with Sid. Or something else equivalent to that.

But its Jan 13...we have a very short amount of time to get everyone firing on all cylinders. We are at a huge disadvantage compared to a team like Philly or LAK who already have their Top 6 set and who have had them play together for a decent amount of time.

We can't afford too long of a "tryout to give the young guys a chance". Thats a luxury we don't have this season.

That is why this camp is so vital. If they work out, awesome. Plug em in. But we can only give them a handful of games to prove their worthiness. Much less than if it was an 82 game season.

It will be 100% up to them to "seize the moment" when given the chance...and it looks like they will get them. But if it doesn't start to click...we need to quickly explore alternatives or make a trade...which I hope is already in progress TBH. 1 hole would be manageable...2 is worrisome.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Very true but the vets we have - have their place.

Example: Everyone wants to ditch Adams...well guess what...Adams is a great PK'er for us. Replace him with...who on the pk? Jeffrey? Tangradi?

If this was Oct 12, I would be with you 100%. Giving Tangradi a 5-10 game run with Malkin and Neal would be doable. Same thing with Bennett with Sid. Or something else equivalent to that.

But its Jan 13...we have a very short amount of time to get everyone firing on all cylinders. We are at a huge disadvantage compared to a team like Philly or LAK who already have their Top 6 set and who have had them play together for a decent amount of time.

We can't afford too long of a "tryout to give the young guys a chance". Thats a luxury we don't have this season.

That is why this camp is so vital. If they work out, awesome. Plug em in. But we can only give them a handful of games to prove their worthiness. Much less than if it was an 82 game season.

It will be 100% up to them to "seize the moment" when given the chance...and it looks like they will get them. But if it doesn't start to click...we need to quickly explore alternatives or make a trade...which I hope is already in progress TBH. 1 hole would be manageable...2 is worrisome.
I seriously doubt you have to worry about DB sticking with his young guns too long if they struggle.

Less than zero chance of that.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate the Penguins.

I'm going to be really pissed if we don't start to see Sid & Geno on the PK.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Dupuis
Cooke
Sutter
Vitale
Jeffrey
Glass
Kunitz
Malkin
Crosby

we can kill penalties without Adams.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Dupuis
Cooke
Sutter
Vitale
Jeffrey
Glass
Kunitz
Malkin
Crosby

we can kill penalties without Adams. He is at best the 4th best PK guy on the team
Glass is a good pker as well.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Glass is a good pker as well.
ya I edited him in before you posted I guess