HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Pizza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Thank you Del Zotto for not thinking you're the **** like a former Ranger. Glad you realize it'd be stupid to miss time now.
Don't know it for a fact, but it's a fair guess that recent history was part of the discussion and had bearing on the decision in Del Zotto's camp.

Very smart move by DZ. Keeps it moving forward towards establishing himself as an NHL player. $2.55 million is a very nice and very fair salary for a young, smart talented player with a lot of upside.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
I agree plus when dubinsky held out and finally got what he wanted he ended up having a bad year scoring 10 goals. Thats ok we got nash out of it
Dubinsky didn't hold out for the contract he's on now. He signed that in July 2011. It was the contract before it from 2009 where he held out.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Very nice deal.

01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
pwoz

Great deal, I just wish it was a longer-term contract (e.g. 4 years), but can't blame him for negotiating for two.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:07 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Erik Johnson-2 years/$5.2M. Zach Bogosian-2 years/$5M. DZ-2 years-$5.1M. Johnson signed in 2010 and Bogosian in 2011.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Great deal, I just wish it was a longer-term contract (e.g. 4 years), but can't blame him for negotiating for two.
If it was longer term, the cap hit would be higher. We need the cap hit to be low going into next year.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky wanted $4M per in 2009. His agent Kurt Overhardt got his other client Travis Zajac almost $4M that summer. Dubinsky was not arb eligible and Zajac was. Dubinsky got his $4M plus in 2011 on the morning of his salary arbitration hearing.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Thank you Del Zotto for not thinking you're the **** like a former Ranger. Glad you realize it'd be stupid to miss time now.
And there it is. People still holding a grudge. For what?

These players have agents for a reason. You think Dubi's agent told him to take less, but Dubi said "screw you, I want more"?

Or maybe you expected Dubi to tell his agent to take less. Why bother having an agent then?

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If it was longer term, the cap hit would be higher. We need the cap hit to be low going into next year.
True, just wishful thinking on my part (4 years @ current cap hit).

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
tomcatNYR

This is a nice deal and while I like Del Zotto, 2 good seasons from him will likely lead to his exit from NY, unfortunately. I'd imagine if the PP clicks, he can put up 25-30 points this season and 50+ next season. That way he would be too hard to keep. Not that I hope he struggles, but his development my also be his biggest enemy, if he plans on staying a Ranger for a long time.

tomcatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Couldn't be more excited to be back with the rangers. Big year for us.
https://twitter.com/MichaelDelZotto/...58370803503104

Old
01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
And there it is. People still holding a grudge. For what?

These players have agents for a reason. You think Dubi's agent told him to take less, but Dubi said "screw you, I want more"?

Or maybe you expected Dubi to tell his agent to take less. Why bother having an agent then?
Not to mention those situations aren't even comparable.

Lets see if MDZ rolls over in 2 years when it comes time to negotiate again - because then you can put it in the same realm as the Dubinsky situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
This is a nice deal and while I like Del Zotto, 2 good seasons from him will likely lead to his exit from NY, unfortunately. I'd imagine if the PP clicks, he can put up 25-30 points this season and 50+ next season. That way he would be too hard to keep. Not that I hope he struggles, but his development my also be his biggest enemy, if he plans on staying a Ranger for a long time.
Questions:

1) The PP didn't click last year and he had 41 points, why will his production drop this year if the PP clicks.

2) Did you used to post on the rangers.com board? I think I remember you. You're a Finn, right?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
shinchanyo

I never understood why people complained about dubinski holding out. The problem with Dubs should be his play (disappointing play) last year. Nothing else was really a problem with him. His holdout was lame that's about as much as can be said about it

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
tomcatNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Questions:

1) The PP didn't click last year and he had 41 points, why will his production drop this year if the PP clicks.

2) Did you used to post on the rangers.com board? I think I remember you. You're a Finn, right?
1) 25-30 points in a 48 game season...

2) yes I did and yes, I'm a Finn. What was your username? Posted on the old Rangers.com board from 2001 till 2008 or something like that.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Erik Johnson-2 years/$5.2M. Zach Bogosian-2 years/$5M. DZ-2 years-$5.1M. Johnson signed in 2010 and Bogosian in 2011.
Del Zotto is a better player than Bogosian IMO. Maybe I'd catch flak for saying that, and Bogosian still has time to improve, but the biggest thing he has over Del Zotto is a better shot, while I don't think the rest of his game is really as good as Del Zotto's

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I can hear the negotiations now:

Agent: How about 5?

Slats: No.

Agent: 4?

Agent: 3.5?

Agent: Can I have a drink of water?

Agent: How about...

Agent: Well I...

Slats: 2.5

Agent:

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:07 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
1) 25-30 points in a 48 game season...

2) yes I did and yes, I'm a Finn. What was your username? Posted on the old Rangers.com board from 2001 till 2008 or something like that.
Whoops forgot it was a 48 game season.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I can hear the negotiations now:

Agent: How about 5?

Agent: 4?

Agent: 3.5?

Agent: Can I have a drink of water?

Agent: How about...

Agent: Well I...

Slats: 2.5

Agent:
I find it interesting how Slats has gone from evil impersonated in the eyes most Rangers fans to a guy who is the subject of posts like this.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
I find it interesting how Slats has gone from evil impersonated in the eyes most Rangers fans to a guy who is the subject of posts like this.
Slats always had his strengths. I think they show up more than his faults when we're winning. It certainly is ironic though. He's turned himself around very quickly around here, I give him credit.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
tomcatNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Slats always had his strengths. I think they show up more than his faults when we're winning. It certainly is ironic though. He's turned himself around very quickly around here, I give him credit.
Well I'm still not impressed with his FA signings. Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rosy isn't that long and we'll see if the billion year contract to Richards was really a wise one. He has always been a good negotiator when it comes to the home grown guys and he is a master of trades. Usually he gets what he wants and gives up very little for a nice return in trades. But when has only a cheque book to work with with UFAs...

Old
01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I remember thinking that the opposite kind of negotiations went on in the Wade Redden contract. I mean, what was he thinking? I get he though Gomez and Drury would make us unbeatable down the middle and he needed to outbid everyone. But Wade? When we had just re-signed Rozy for 4 years 20 mil?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Well I'm still not impressed with his FA signings. Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rosy isn't that long and we'll see if the billion year contract to Richards was really a wise one. He has always been a good negotiator when it comes to the home grown guys and he is a master of trades. Usually he gets what he wants and gives up very little for a nice return in trades. But when has only a cheque book to work with with UFAs...
I think it's massively unfair to put Rosy in the same breath as the other 3 signings. He was pretty solid. Just not as a #1 D-man like he was here. He'd be our #5 D-man if stayed here.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Awesome term and deal. At the end of the two years, we will have a better idea of what kind of player MDZ can be for us.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Thats what happens when you make the right moves instead of just headline news (NYJ take notes) while presiding over a team with one of the best scouting depts in the game. The only risk I vehemently disagreed with when it was made was signing Redden. I thought we gave way too much to Drury and Gomez but understood the moves. Redden was just always bad all risk with not much possible reward. Had Gab busted with us I still would have understood the move.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote