HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

Old
01-13-2013, 02:05 PM
deandebean

vCash: 500
And if some of you (and Mathias Brunet) still doubt Leblanc's hockey talents, let's all remember that he was one of the best 15-16 year olds in the country. If not the best at the time. Those who say he was over-rated have not followed his career much. Or seen him play at the midget AAA level. He was heads and shoulders better than everybody. Much more even that what Gally did in the OHL. Heck, he was breaking record after record with LSL. He WAS LSL that year. He would have easily been the number one draft choice in the Q if he had chosen that path. My take (and it's a personal take) is that family played a role in his hockey development. Brillant student, Leblanc was convinced by his parents (some say mostly his mom) to pursue the educational dream (Harvard) en lieu of the hockey one. That has been the issue.

Also, I believe Montreal wanted him to follow a pretty strict weightlifting program. And he's not been very keen on it. And I wonder if that has come into play. He's a physically fragile player because he hasn't been a gym rat. Between the lines, some would say that he and his family or not too keen on him following a (ahem) juiced up weightlifting program.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
First off, I do believe SOME of what Jeremy reported. His close friends AND probably one or two players were his sources. He did say that he had the info verified in Hamilton and close to home.

Now, are the coaches really on his back? Don't think so. I think they feel he's not 100% committed to hockey...which, frankly, has been a problem of his (and his family) over the years. His Harvard stint was all about that. His family (not every member of his family are hockey nuts to say the least...think more of the cerebral/intellectual type) had much influence on him there. And I think they still do. And as for the rubber elastics, who cares. When your skating skills aren't the best and you get some Power skating courses, you get those. I've seen pros get some skating lessons with a russian lady in Montreal using the elastics. That's much ado about nothing (probably from a family member).

The only part that gets to me is a comment made by Filosa today on radio. He mentioned Brisebois and the fact that he has blew a gasket already on some players on TV (my guess was when he was on TVA), and that the comments he had made at the time were eerily similar to what has been reported regarding Leblanc. Filosa thus hinted that Brisebois MIGHT be one who gave it to Leblanc. If true, not cool from a guy that's supposed to help players.
That's the first person I thought was implicated in all of this when I read the article. At first I was happy that we hired Brisebois, as it was reported that he'd be in charge of making sure the players are doing good in their development and preparing them to the pressure of being a Montreal Canadien. But then I watched him on interviews and conducting drills @ summer training camp. He came off a bit over his head, like he was trying way too hard.

But I still hope that Leblanc is not going through what is reported. Hopefully we'll get some clarity in the near future.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
I really don't like Brisebois. He's the only guy that Bergevin hired that i wasn't initially happy about. He's a hothead and he's full of himself.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Lefebvree is not alone. Wilson was thre last year and got tons of experience.

I am pretty sure no one is trying to kill Leblanc's carreer. He's probably trying too hard to catch up after this last injury.

Leblanc will be a third line player in the NHL. They are just grooming him thet way.
I don't think that's how it works.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:12 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
And if some of you (and Mathias Brunet) still doubt Leblanc's hockey talents, let's all remember that he was one of the best 15-16 year olds in the country. If not the best at the time. Those who say he was over-rated have not followed his career much. Or seen him play at the midget AAA level. He was heads and shoulders better than everybody. Much more even that what Gally did in the OHL. Heck, he was breaking record after record with LSL. He WAS LSL that year. He would have easily been the number one draft choice in the Q if he had chosen that path. My take (and it's a personal take) is that family played a role in his hockey development. Brillant student, Leblanc was convinced by his parents (some say mostly his mom) to pursue the educational dream (Harvard) en lieu of the hockey one. That has been the issue.

Also, I believe Montreal wanted him to follow a pretty strict weightlifting program. And he's not been very keen on it. And I wonder if that has come into play. He's a physically fragile player because he hasn't been a gym rat. Between the lines, some would say that he and his family or not too keen on him following a (ahem) juiced up weightlifting program.

In today's day and age you don't need to juice in order to see results. Particularly at that age. Clean diet, good supplements and a strength and conditioning coach can go a long way
A commitment, however, IS a requirement.
As i previously stated, if he had been asked to get stronger over the summer and he didn't......... well, you reap what you sow.
Just look at the Pacioretty vid

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
No Team Needed

At this point Bergevin should flip him for Nazim Kadri since neither Montreal or Toronto know what to do with their young players when they have development issues except treat them like crap.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Audio from Jeremy Filosa on the story (french), talks about Brisebois in the same vein of what deandebean
heard.

http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=159862

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I hope an European team can do better than that with developing Leblanc...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Audio from Jeremy Filosa on the story (french), talks about Brisebois in the same vein of what deandebean
heard.

http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=159862
I had mixed feeling about the Brisebois hire. On one hand he's passionate about the Habs, knows the good and the bad when it comes to playing in Montreal, and for all his flaws was a very talented player.

On the other he seems somewhat unstable, and in today's game I really don't think you want a guy losing his cool and screaming all the time at your prospects. If this is true I'm concerned. Trying too hard can be a problem.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
DAChampion

I'm tired of people lamenting the failure to pick Chris Kreider.

I remember the draft. I remember discussions. The other player a lot of people wanted was Jordan Shroeder who was rated 5th among north american skaters by central scouting, yet nobody admits to wanting him even as many claim they would have predicted Kreider.

By the way when Leblanc was obtained he was discussed as a potential 2nd line center, not a potential 3rd line winger.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I remember the draft. I remember discussions. The other player a lot of people wanted was Jordan Shroeder who was rated 5th among north american skaters by central scouting, yet nobody admits to wanting him even as many claim they would have predicted Kreider.

By the way when Leblanc was obtained he was discussed as a potential 2nd line center, not a potential 3rd line winger.
If there is anyone I lament not picking its Jacob Silfverberg, and nobody here probably even knew he existed. Even if Leblanc Lebusts he wasn't an Fischer off the board pick, and Krieder has a long way to go to show anything.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Nedved

Quote:

That's who I wanted, and he's suppose to make the canucks this year. That said, we have Leblanc and I'm happy with what he'll bring in a couple years for us.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Leblanc's going to play on the 3rd line in the NHL so he should get used to it in the AHL? That's the stupidest ****ing theory I've ever heard. Why not give him a chance to improve and become a top-6 player.

If this is true, then I'm seriously worried for the development of our other prospects.
This and thank you.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
***Correction DELETE first post*****

I'm not sure about the veracity of this article, but I still believe that Leblanc has top 6 potential and the organization is failing to develop him correctly by converting him into a winger and branding him as a future NHL third liner while playing him on the third line in the AHL.

Not impressed at all by Hamilton's coaching staff and management's philosophy of placing a bunch of rookies in such adversity while trying to "teach" them. It's absolutely irrational in my honest opinion.
So do I, even if he does eventually excel in a 3rd center role. IMO Leblanc will be a huge part of our organization with captain material (silent but leads by example). He was terrific for us last year considering he went straight to the NHL (more than the AHL) and he should be top on our list of players to help develop, but not like THAT! Can't believe the name calling, that is disgusting. Even more disappointed in Bergevin to seem not to react badly to this. Why aren't his teammates standing up for him? What does it say about them? (Or are they the ones calling names?)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If there is anyone I lament not picking its Jacob Silfverberg, and nobody here probably even knew he existed. Even if Leblanc Lebusts he wasn't an Fischer off the board pick, and Krieder has a long way to go to show anything.
Leblanc was playing very well in Hamilton last season and was fine with the Habs.

He was injured and he is recovering slowly. No worry about him. He's gonna be in the NHL if not this season, then next September.

Acquiring Armstrong and Prust in the off season is sending a message to him (and others) and he must cope with it.

Last edited by Habtchum*: 01-13-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
So do I, even if he does eventually excel in a 3rd center role. IMO Leblanc will be a huge part of our organization with captain material (silent but leads by example). He was terrific for us last year considering he went straight to the NHL (more than the AHL) and he should be top on our list of players to help develop, but not like THAT! Can't believe the name calling, that is disgusting. Even more disappointed in Bergevin to seem not to react badly to this. Why aren't his teammates standing up for him? What does it say about them? (Or are they the ones calling names?)
Maybe there is something lost in the translation... Or Leblanc has no sense of humour.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Leblanc not as good as people think, thats the problem. Only drafted cause thats what media wanted in first round...
So the guy who played with the Habs last year with Leblanc on his jersey was not Louis Leblanc? Cuz that kid was awesome! He is BOTH what fans/media wanted and a great pick. Teams that win need cerebral, calm and hardworking guys with talent. That is Leblanc! (With good development, which he's getting the opposite of.)

Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Yes, I also had Schroeder in mind. 19 points in 30 games in the AHL this year....better than Leblanc. Funny part from some people is that people in this board are judged more severly than the actual professionnals doing the job. Pretty sure that the ones doing the job and have actually all the means to do it should be judged more severely. We are suppose to have a much worst record than those guys.

In the admission part.....I had Leblanc. I actually said "I don't see how this kid won't succeed". He was looking good at Omaha, even more so than our own Kristo. I also had Drew Shore, Rundblad. Even had softie Peter Holland in my top 5 and my surprise out of left field pick was....Charles-Olivier Roussel.

Still believe in Shore who was picked in the 2nd round and is doing well with San Antonio. Will not be top 6 though unless he surprise us. Rundblad was not in play, 1 pick before us. Holland was also picked before. And Roussel was my long shot and will end up being.....a long shot. Can't believe he won't succeed but chances are he won't. But Leblanc was indeed in my top 5. Schroeder was in my Honourable mentions with a few others like Kreider. Problem is that this is MY list. I see a lot of games, live, on TV and on the Web, but not enough live compared to those guys and that's usually how you analyse better a player. And it's their job. They have more qualifications than I do. Yet, as a fan, we can bash a pick, the same way we can praise one. And again, this is a few picks we're bashing. We now all recognize the greatest of Timmins. He's not free of criticisms though. Strangely, he looks so much better in the other rounds than the 1st.

By the way....I still believe in Leblanc. I just don't believe that his career is screwed up like some want to believe. I'm just not sure anymore that he's a top 6 as I thought he would be.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 01-13-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Maybe there is something lost in the translation... Or Leblanc has no sense of humour.
I read the original article. Doesn't really specify if it's only the coaches or the whole team or even the other team (although it says he should complain, so probably not the latter), just that it's "on the ice".

Old
01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
habtastic

If Brisebois OF ALL PEOPLE is yelling at a kid...

You'd think he knows what it feels like to be abused verbally. Not liking the early days of the Bergevin era, but hope this is just a temporary blip. For once, bringing this to light might be an example of the media actually helping if there's outrage from the public. (Whether cuz he's franco or cuz he's an important part of our future.)

Old
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think people are putting WAAAYYYY too much weight into this article.

I hardly think a guy who got the prise he did when he took over that Bergevin did would hire people that yell and scream at young players and treat them like crap.

I'm not a fan of the way he is being used(with grinders and little PP time) but I think a big part of his numbers is also realted to the high ankle sprain which takes a long time to get back to 100% from.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
LeMAD

I just cannot believe the comments I read in here. Giving more credit to a notoriously bad "journailst", and a 21 yo player, over a bunch of guys who spend their last 20 years in and around the NHL.

If really Leblanc can't deal with pressure, and thought he was a lock to play in the NHL this year, that's his problem.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
bib
#believe

Honestly, this article is a little over the top, HOWEVER, I think it's a good thing the info came out like this. If it wasn't written that way, it wouldn't draw as much attention.

Last year with the Dogs he had 11 goals, 11 assists, 112 SOG in 31 games.

This year, 3 goals, 2 assists, 59 SOG in 24 games.

Clearly something is not right with Leblanc's current situation in Hamilton.

Similarly, when things weren't going well for Patches, he stood up for himself. Leblanc doesn't seem the type to do that, he's withdrawing.

Someone's gotta step in here. Someone not called Brisebois.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
I think the main source of the problem is that he was hyped up...the good ol' quebecois drafted in the first round slipped down to us and we banked on it and stole him at 18th. Not every first rounder is a surefire top 6 in the league! He hasn't been ruined yet and I don't know what the solution to Louis Leblanc is because I'm no hockey coach, but if they're giving him a rough time in Hamilton it must be because they're trying to wake him up. Brisebois is not one to yell at someone and give him a tough time just for the hell of it, he of all people knows best how bad treatment can destroy a player so I have confidence in Brisebois that they're yelling at Leblanc for the right reasons.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
bib
#believe

Seems like the main issue is that Brisebois wants his 71 retired.

Seriously though. Brisebois head of player development? Ouff.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote