HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I remember thinking that the opposite kind of negotiations went on in the Wade Redden contract. I mean, what was he thinking? I get he though Gomez and Drury would make us unbeatable down the middle and he needed to outbid everyone. But Wade? When we had just re-signed Rozy for 4 years 20 mil?
At the time it didn't seem terrible. Not good, but not terrible. We were bidding against Dallas and Columbus (I believe both offered 6, we offered 6.5). So there was a market for him for sure. He just never regained his form.

Shame, but oh well.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I can hear the negotiations now:

Agent: How about 5?

Slats: No.

Agent: 4?

Agent: 3.5?

Agent: Can I have a drink of water?

Agent: How about...

Agent: Well I...

Slats: 2.5

Agent:
Ok 4 people Canada cost a rot of money, gonna be about uh 6,500 dorra
How about 50 dorra?
50 dorra?! You fry to Canada cost at reast 3,000 dorra!
55 dorra
Hey, stop wasting my time 55 dorra, no way I take my prane to Canada for less than a 1,000 dorra!
Ok, 60 dorra
62 dorra
ok
ok meet me park county airfield
gotcha
heh heh heh never try to barter with a Chinese man

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Thats what happens when you make the right moves instead of just headline news (NYJ take notes) while presiding over a team with one of the best scouting depts in the game. The only risk I vehemently disagreed with when it was made was signing Redden. I thought we gave way too much to Drury and Gomez but understood the moves. Redden was just always bad all risk with not much possible reward. Had Gab busted with us I still would have understood the move.
Well all of Richards, Gaborik, and Nash were headline moves. It's a myth that headline moves are the reason why the Rangers sucked in the late 90s/early 00s. Some of the players were even good, but there was no team around them. We have a team around these players. Also a good coach.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Cresto
Much .500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Well all of Richards, Gaborik, and Nash were headline moves. It's a myth that headline moves are the reason why the Rangers sucked in the late 90s/early 00s. Some of the players were even good, but there was no team around them. We have a team around these players. Also a good coach.
We have everything except depth in LW and in the third line

and we're stuck with Boyle

Cresto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Crazy Glen's: we'll beat your best offer and then we'll beat up your agent!!! GUARANTEED!!!!

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Great price. Gotta love this deal.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Great price. Great deal for one of the better offensive d-men under 25 in the game.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
dethomas07

to me its crazy Slats could sign mark staal under 4m and then arguably one of the best up and coming Offensive dman to a 2 yr- 2.5m contract, when his counter parts (Carlson, Fowler, Meyers, Pietro, ect) sign these multi year (4+) and million dollar deals... Kuddos to Slats, but I think DZ gets credit prob for taking less to get going and play..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
They were also the right moves. Headline moves def are not the reason they sucked but incorrect headline moves + not having a well built team like you said = bad team and bad taste in fan bases mouth. We def agree here on why he was being rightfully crucified in the past

The team is successful now so people stopped crapping on him like they used to unanimously do. But we must never forget those dark times... massive money spent was contrasted with lack of success. A losing atmosphere permeated the ice and the fan base. That same feeling is no longer around there has been a culture change on the ice and for the whole organization so the head has to recieve credit.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

Crazy Glen's: we'll beat your best offer and then we'll beat up your agent!!! GUARANTEED!!!!
: laugh:

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Thank you Del Zotto for not thinking you're the **** like a former Ranger. Glad you realize it'd be stupid to miss time now.

You cant blame Dubinsky for holding out and wanting to get paid.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
darko

Lol @ main boards and people there saying MDZ will get 4 mill per.

Good deal, right about what I expected. Lets see what Del Zotto does in next 2 season and then Rangers can go from there. MDZ is also RFA when this deal runs out.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Well I was wrong about it being unlikely that Sather would offer MDZ a 2 year deal. I'm don't know how Sather is going to handle having all those expiring contracts in 2014... That's nuts...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Great deal, just around what I was hoping for. Things are going to get real interesting these next two off-seasons.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Well I was wrong about it being unlikely that Sather would offer MDZ a 2 year deal. I'm don't know how Sather is going to handle having all those expiring contracts in 2014... That's nuts...
i think that list is a bit misleading cause it includes a bunch of depth guys...guys pyatt, rupp, asham, and even boyle are bottom 6 guys that we hope are replaced by guys like miller, lindberg, fast, etc. so i'm not worried about those guys as ufas cause i hope that they are dealt for picks before than as those kids have taken their spots

and kreider will get a sather special for his 2nd contract...

group then becomes a bit more manageable if you look at it as only 4 UFAs that are must keeps in lundqvist, callahan, gaborik and girardi. not an easy task still but much more manageable than looking at it as 12 ufas. we just need to hope that fans come back and revenues go up like they had been, if it does the cap could be back to 70 mil giving up some extra room to work with.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:40 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i think that list is a bit misleading cause it includes a bunch of depth guys...guys pyatt, rupp, asham, and even boyle are bottom 6 guys that we hope are replaced by guys like miller, lindberg, fast, etc. so i'm not worried about those guys as ufas cause i hope that they are dealt for picks before than as those kids have taken their spots

and kreider will get a sather special for his 2nd contract...

group then becomes a bit more manageable if you look at it as only 4 UFAs that are must keeps in lundqvist, callahan, gaborik and girardi. not an easy task still but much more manageable than looking at it as 12 ufas. we just need to hope that fans come back and revenues go up like they had been, if it does the cap could be back to 70 mil giving up some extra room to work with.
MDZ, Lundqvist, Gaborik, Girardi, Callahan, Biron, Boyle, Kreider

I'm guessing they will have to likely part ways with Gaborik to have cap space for all the new contracts for these other guys....

Old
01-14-2013, 01:52 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

I'm guessing they will have to likely part ways with Gaborik to have cap space for all the new contracts for these other guys....
Of that group, MDZ, Girardi, and Callahan will get raises. Lundqvist and Gaborik are making $6.875 and $7.5 respectively. Lundqvist will probably get the same money and Gaborik, if retained, would get a couple million less then what he's getting now.

Boyle could be replaced if he wanted too much money. Biron I don't see being brought back. Kreider will more then likely get the Sather second contract special, although I think he will be arbitration eligible.

Not to mention the cap will probably go up as the NHL has to renew the Canadian Tv deal around then as well.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:25 AM
eco's bones

Almost half this season is gone before it even begins. This is more about getting signed--getting a nice raise and moving on to the next contract which really isn't that far away for MDZ. Good signing. Works for both team and player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:27 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Of that group, MDZ, Girardi, and Callahan will get raises. Lundqvist and Gaborik are making $6.875 and $7.5 respectively. Lundqvist will probably get the same money and Gaborik, if retained, would get a couple million less then what he's getting now.

Boyle could be replaced if he wanted too much money. Biron I don't see being brought back. Kreider will more then likely get the Sather second contract special, although I think he will be arbitration eligible.

Not to mention the cap will probably go up as the NHL has to renew the Canadian Tv deal around then as well.
If he's healthy, Gaborik will definitely get more money and longer term on the open market, so I'd be really surprised if he took a reduction in salary to stay with NYR and on a shorter term deal.

Old
01-14-2013, 04:00 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
If he's healthy, Gaborik will definitely get more money and longer term on the open market, so I'd be really surprised if he took a reduction in salary to stay with NYR and on a shorter term deal.
Yes - Gaborik will be very difficult to retain when his contract ends. I totally agree. Most likely impossible. But there will be other options out there and this is a full 2 seasons ahead of time from now. A lot will happen until then, be so sure.

If one looks back a mere 2 full seasons ago from now - in that year The NYR roster included names like:

Chris Drury, Sean Avery, Ales Kotalik, Olli Jokinen, Brandon Dubinsky, Chris Higgins, Vinny Prospal, Aaron Voros, Donald Brashear, Artem Aninsimov, Enver Lisin, Erik Christensen, Jody Shelly, PAP, Dane Byers, Dale Weise, Corey Locke, Evgeny Grachev, Wade Redden, Michal Rozsival, Ilkka Heikkinen, Anders Eriksson, Bobby Sanguinetti, Steve Valiquette, Chad Johnson and Alex Auld

on it.

Some change now - eh?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The cap went from $50.3M to $56.7M. Sather had some money to spend. Redden is the one contract he could not move. Sather tried to sign Hossa but he signed with the Wings. Sather gave Rozsival $20M coming off of hip surgery. $39M to Redden. Traded Tyutin to Columbus for Zherdev. Signed Naslund. Redden was on the decline before Sather signed him. Calgary was also interested in Redden. He should have signed with Calgary. Close to home.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
Kuddos to Slats, but I think DZ gets credit prob for taking less to get going and play..
Meh, I don't give a guy credit for not demanding to be traded, which is what he would've had to do to get more than he did.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Actually, I think it's better that all of those contracts expire. It gives Sather more flexibility in making the players fit that he wants to make sure fit.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

Let's see how much the cap increases between now and then.

Lundqvist likely won't be getting a pay raise. Nobody will get more than $1-2 raises. Rupp, Boyle, Asham, Pyatt and Halpern will be replaced by Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik and Jean, saving us almost $2.

Nash ($7.8) - Brad ($6.667) - Gabby or UFA ($7)
Kreider ($2.5) - Stepan ($2.5) - Callahan ($5.5)
Hagelin ($2.5) - Miller ($1.25) - Fast ($0.9)
Hrivik ($.685) - Lindberg ($.760) - Jean ($0.925)
Haley or similar UFA ($.6)

FORWARDS: $39,587

McDonagh ($4) - Girardi ($6)
Staal (3.975) - McIlrath ($1.295)
MDZ ($3.5) - Stralman or similar UFA ($1.7)
Gilroy is similar UFA ($.65)

DEFENSE: $21,120

Lundqvist: $6.875
Backup: $1

GOALIES: $7,875

TOTAL: $68,582

There's no reason the cap won't go up to $70 by 2014-15, making it very possible for us to sign Gaborik or another UFA for $7.0-7.5. The cap increased by $11 over the last two years. There's no reason it can't do so again in the next 2 years (it would actually be a smaller percentage increase).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Let's see how much the cap increases between now and then.

Lundqvist likely won't be getting a pay raise. Nobody will get more than $1-2 raises. Rupp, Boyle, Asham, Pyatt and Halpern will be replaced by Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Hrivik and Jean, saving us almost $2.

Nash ($7.8) - Brad ($6.667) - Gabby or UFA ($7)
Kreider ($2.5) - Stepan ($2.5) - Callahan ($5.5)
Hagelin ($2.5) - Miller ($1.25) - Fast ($0.9)
Hrivik ($.685) - Lindberg ($.760) - Jean ($0.925)
Haley or similar UFA ($.6)

FORWARDS: $39,587

McDonagh ($4) - Girardi ($6)
Staal (3.975) - McIlrath ($1.295)
MDZ ($3.5) - Stralman or similar UFA ($1.7)
Gilroy is similar UFA ($.65)

DEFENSE: $21,120

Lundqvist: $6.875
Backup: $1

GOALIES: $7,875

TOTAL: $68,582

There's no reason the cap won't go up to $70 by 2014-15, making it very possible for us to sign Gaborik or another UFA for $7.0-7.5. The cap increased by $11 over the last two years. There's no reason it can't do so again in the next 2 years (it would actually be a smaller percentage increase).
I'm not going to pick this apart with my opinions - but one thing that stands out to me is Girardi making $6M and I just don't see that happening. Most G gets is $5M, long term. He's a good player for us and an integral part of the team but unless he's scoring 45-55 pts along with his D I don't see how he makes $6M.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote