HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showoff1987 View Post
What if we lose Plekanec & Eller in the next 2-3 weeks ?
Tank baby

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
OneSharpMarble

He does more harm than good, dragging down his wingers and killing our plays with endless turnovers. This has been a long time coming, last season was the one he said he would change his game and he didn't, that was his last chance.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:19 PM
That

Good to hear.

I found Pacioretty's comments on Gomez very interesting. He's always seemed like a great guy.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Erika

Finally !!

It was about time!! The worst NHL hockey player I've seen and the worst trade move in the history of the Habs. Losing McDonagh on top of that is just the icing on the naughty cake. Thank you Bob Gainey & Pierre Gauthier, the worst duo in NHL history.

It is unfortunate because I saw it coming and said it since day one that this trade was going to be terrible, so did many other fans. Tells you how bad those guys were as GMs...

Ohh well, this saga is finally over. All I can say is.... GOOD RIDDANCE million dollar man !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
BobbyFischer*

They let Gomez go?? seriously???

Idiots.

Who will be our #1 C now?

God, I swear, we need a real GM.. maybe Burkie will come here when Bergy gets canned.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Belso

I'm sorry but I can't feel bad for the guy. He made a career playing a game which made him a double digit millionare. He's going to make a few million this season sitting on his ass doing nothing. whatever.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Good to hear.

I found Pacioretty's comments on Gomez very interesting. He's always seemed like a great guy.
I don't. If Gomez would have produce, he'd be here with or without this market. And I'm not even talking about a 80-point season. Gomez has only himself to blame. Of course, with a 1.5 M$ contract with the Islanders next year, he will do better. Then, the Isles will fall for him and give him a 4-year contract and then he'll sit on it as he did with us.

I believe you can feel for a teamate and hate to see him go. But not need to blame the market for it. A market so filled with pressure and expectations that they have seen 1 3rd round in the past 19 years.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Finally !!

It was about time!! The worst NHL hockey player I've seen and the worst trade move in the history of the Habs. Losing McDonagh on top of that is just the icing on the naughty cake. Thank you Bob Gainey & Pierre Gauthier, the worst duo in NHL history.

It is unfortunate because I saw it coming and said it since day one that this trade was going to be terrible, so did many other fans. Tells you how bad those guys were as GMs...

Ohh well, this saga is finally over. All I can say is.... GOOD RIDDANCE million dollar man !!
wow overreaction much?

How come your not the GM then? NOBODY thought McDonagh would turn out to be a top dman...

EVERYTHING IS THE WORST IN NHL HISTORY!! Give me a break

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
wow overreaction much?

How come your not the GM then? NOBODY thought McDonagh would turn out to be a top dman...

You said it yourself, we as fans can make all the predictions in the world and it won't matter.

The GMs are paid to make those predictions/decisions !! Otherwise, anyone can be GMs, that's what your telling me in your post. In the end, they failed miserably like it or not

Old
01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
sampollock

best thing, if he gets hurt, can't buy him out,

habs had no choice.

leafs should trade 20th round pick for him

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

If we had buried Gomez in the minors late last season, would his cap hit disappearance have been grandfathered?

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Finally !!

He was almost as bad as Sergei Kostytsin no ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
He was almost as bad as Sergei Kostytsin no ?
Euuhhh...Not really, Sergei was just misused by all the bad coaches (especially Martin) this team had when he was here.

Sergei just had two very good seasons in Nashville and is a very important part of the Preds Offense while Scotty was and still a joke.

Sergei is now a very fine talented NHL hockey player that the Habs could use on their top 6 forwards. On the opposite side, your idol Gomez will now be sitting at home eating hotdogs & popcorn.

Nice attempt though, I appreciate the effort...

Old
01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
wow overreaction much?

?????
Quote:
Go look at the original Gomez trade thread. You didn't need a crystal ball to know that including McD was a mind blowingly stupid move. Some of us knew that adding him into this albatross of a mess was horrific.

Please don't come here now and try to say that we didn't know that this was freaking horrible because we did. And now McD will spend the next decade or two proving us right. Dumb, dumb move and I don't need the benefit of hindsight to say this and neither do a lot of people here.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by showoff1987 View Post
Do you really think he could do worse ? Having him play 48 games and getting 20-25points on the 3-4 lines would have been decent for me.
Irrelevant.

If you want to be sure you can buy him out and a have fresh start, you keep him far from the team.

I'm still mortified he could injure his thumb hammering his shed in Alaska 1 week before the buy-out period. I won't sleep for a few months

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Jacques Demers View Post
If we had buried Gomez in the minors late last season, would his cap hit disappearance have been grandfathered?
Don't think so since Redden is rumored to get the same treatment.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.
Professional players get cut every year. Do you feel more sorry for Gomez or the other dozens of players that have been released, never to play in the game? I don't buy the added sympathy for Gomez unless you want to spread that sympathy equally among every other player in every other sport who has been cut from his team.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
sampollock

I say this, big contract, low numbers = enough

good move, not a distraction to the team, he is gone, and that is all

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
DumFries

Gainey will forever be remembered for trading away a top 4 D for super paid 2 goal a season Gomez!

Who's next? Markov, Kaberle, Gionta or Bourque? Clearly, there is still a lot of work to be done with this team.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Gainey will forever be remembered for trading away a top 4 D for super paid 2 goal a season Gomez!

Who's next? Markov, Kaberle, Gionta or Bourque? Clearly, there is still a lot of work to be done with this team.
Next? For what?

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
baldrick

Didn't expect this after the "Gomez is part of this team" comment. Thank you MB for this decision, its finally over. Late xmas present for Eller. Okay kid, get'r done.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
habtastic

I think he just had some bad luck (which can come in the form of personally just losing your game) and had a great attitude so I can only thank him for that. He never intentionally sucked, often just tried to do to much/make up for the growing "debt".

I would have liked to see him initially since I've always thought we're better with him than without, particularly on zone entries, but I understand it from the injury POV.

Thanks Scotty! Wasn't meant to be.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
GoHomez

Even if Gomez is sent home, he is still on the roster as one of 23 players, right?
What if the Habs waive him, is he off the roster then or is it just for a short period of time?

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I'm sorry but I can't feel bad for the guy. He made a career playing a game which made him a double digit millionare. He's going to make a few million this season sitting on his ass doing nothing. whatever.
In case it hasn't been suggested to you, life and happiness do not depend on things like that. He's pretty much been disgraced from the NHL and I would not be surprised if he has suffered or will from depression or some form of a non-enviable mental situation. Obbbbviously money would make a person in a good situation happy, but seriously, this kind of stuff can cripple someone. Take Richer, for example although not an NHL performance-related depression. I think Daigle went through something similar. I envy his money. I don't envy his life necessarily.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post
Even if Gomez is sent home, he is still on the roster as one of 23 players, right?
What if the Habs waive him, is he off the roster then or is it just for a short period of time?
The Habs are waiving him. Then assigning him to the minors but telling him to stay home and get paid without risking injury.

Because he is waived, he is not holding a spot on the 23-man roster. We do have to pay another player, say around $600,000, to be the 13th or 14th forward, but we get to save $900k of Gomez' hit. And the buyout will only cost $3M when they finally do it.

To answer the other question someone brought up, no, if we had put him in the minors last year, it would not have made a difference this year or next.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote