HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel

Old
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500

Leafs HAVE to keep him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
No he was talking about how me and another poster were talking about if the isles had the first overall I wouldn't trade kessel for it plus Strome. However he took it out of context lol

So no you're not the only one lol
Im not sure how I took it out of context. You stated if it was the 1st overall you might not do it still, and I stated how ridiculous that was with an example of the players you would get including your own 1st round pick.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post

Leafs HAVE to keep him.
That was awesome.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
OptimusReimer34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Im not sure how I took it out of context. You stated if it was the 1st overall you might not do it still, and I stated how ridiculous that was with an example of the players you would get including your own 1st round pick.
Yes and then after I originally posted that, I then said that I would do it's based from value. But for the franchise if we did it we'd go back to square one. So I was saying no in terms of value to us not trade value lol. Of course kessel is worth the pick and prospect. Heck it's total overpayment from the isles and they wouldn't and shouldn't do it.

OptimusReimer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusReimer34 View Post
Yes and then after I originally posted that, I then said that I would do it's based from value. But for the franchise if we did it we'd go back to square one. So I was saying no in terms of value to us not trade value lol. Of course kessel is worth the pick and prospect. Heck it's total overpayment from the isles and they wouldn't and shouldn't do it.
roger that

Old
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
IHeartZherdev*

I think Phoenix would be perfect for the Phil. He's exactly what they need.

They've been getting solid defense and goaltending with their system, but are in need of scoring and certainly can't count on Doan, Vrbata, Vermette types to carry the load going forward long term. And they have Rundblad, Murphey, Gormley, top young D prospects plus Ekman-Larson so they could afford to move either a D prospect or Yandle.

I think Phil could be perfect as a top line winger for Hanzal going forward.

I would think a couple different deals could be worked out between the teams - maybe a Yandle for Kessel swap? A Coyotes first and a prospect and a contract?

With the Coyotoes situation they definitely need to keep winning and making the playoffs so if a case can be made for any team to trade a first or part with prospects for immediate scoring help its them. Nashville could use the scoring as well and would also be a solid fit for Phil

IHeartZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Badger Mayhew

Fans on the main Leafs board want to do this:

Phil Kessel
Jake Gardiner

for

Mikael Granlund
Matthew Dumba
Charlie Coyle
1st rounder

Just thought I'd throw it out there

Last edited by Badger Mayhew: 01-13-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I don't think any team is gonna repeat Burke's mistake and offer the moon for him.

Semin is more or less the same player and he only managed a one year deal. Better than Kessel defensively, no less physical (even more if you can believe it, not that it matters), better wrist shot. Slower and worse snapper though. Playmaking about even, Kessel might have more vision but Semin can complete the most impossible passes if he sees a window. Better stats career wise and as impressive as Kessel in his first few playoff performances. Yet he only managed a one year deal. Kessel would probably get more since he's not as "enigmatic" but I doubt any team would go for broke on him. Probably deadline deal in the last season of his contract similar to Hossa or Kovalchuk deals but lower return.
look back at hossa's return it was GARBAGE

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
I think Phoenix would be perfect for the Phil. He's exactly what they need.

They've been getting solid defense and goaltending with their system, but are in need of scoring and certainly can't count on Doan, Vrbata, Vermette types to carry the load going forward long term. And they have Rundblad, Murphey, Gormley, top young D prospects plus Ekman-Larson so they could afford to move either a D prospect or Yandle.

I think Phil could be perfect as a top line winger for Hanzal going forward.

I would think a couple different deals could be worked out between the teams - maybe a Yandle for Kessel swap? A Coyotes first and a prospect and a contract?

With the Coyotoes situation they definitely need to keep winning and making the playoffs so if a case can be made for any team to trade a first or part with prospects for immediate scoring help its them. Nashville could use the scoring as well and would also be a solid fit for Phil
Why do the leafs need Yandle? OEL+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post

Phil Kessel
Jake Gardiner

for

Mikael Granlund
Matthew Dumba
Charlie Coyle
1st overall

Such a stupid thing to do.
And by 1st overall u mean 1st rounder.

Leafs trade by far the best piece and possibly the 2nd best piece (at worst 3rd best piece)

Huge no.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
Quote:

Phil Kessel
Jake Gardiner

for

Mikael Granlund
Matthew Dumba
Charlie Coyle
1st overall

1st rounder*

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Badger Mayhew

Yep, 1st rounder, my bad

Old
01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
if the leafs were deciding to rebuild

to NYI:
Kessel

to Tor:
Ryan Strome
2013 1st round pick
I would do that. Kessel brings nothing but offence to the table. Offensively, he'd bring a bit more compared to Parenteau from last year. Carolina and TB IMO definitely improved since last season, and Montreal is expected to do better.

Even with Kessel, I could easily see the NYI in the bottom 2-3 in the East, maybe right at the bottom. Doesnt need to be Mackinnon or Jones, that could still easily become Strome + Barkov or Monahan as well.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I need an overpayment cause if the goalie sucks and we draft 1st overall which is realistic mackinion comes in with a sniper to play with already could be perfect situation

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:

Phil Kessel
Jake Gardiner

for

Mikael Granlund
Matthew Dumba
Charlie Coyle
1st overall

I think Seotugchi and a first for Kessel would be fair.

I have no idea what is in the Jake Gardiner kool-aid in Toronto, but that is insane. Granland was the 9th overall pick. Matthew Dumba was the 7th overall pick. Coyle was 28th overall. PLUS another first?!

The idea that the Wild would give up the entire future of their organization, the equivalent of 4 first round picks is hilarious. I doubt they would trade Dumba for Gardiner straight up. Jake Gardiner is not even in the top 10 of defensmen his age...

Old
01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post

Such a stupid thing to do.
And by 1st overall u mean 1st rounder.

Leafs trade by far the best piece and possibly the 2nd best piece (at worst 3rd best piece)

Huge no.
Thats three of the top ~30 prospects in the world. Quite a few people consider Granlund a top 5 prospect. + a mid to late 1st.

Not to mention, it probably puts the Leafs a couple spots higher in terms of a high draft pick this June. It would give us one of the top prospect pools in the league, and thats one with multiple high end pieces. Not just depth. We havent had that...like.. Ever.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
Please tell me you aren't serious

Your comment about where the players were drafted is kind of dumb too. Komisarek was drafted 7th overall, so he should be considered equivalent to a 1st round pick I guess.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
that's realistic, a first, a solid roster player - you could maybe throw in a prospect as well.

Hard for me to believe that Phil Kessel would command much more in a trade than James Neal. A young, solid, proven goal scoring winger...I think they are comparable, although I think a case can be made Neal is better. But even if you think Neal is better, that's a comparable trade in the real world.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
that's realistic, a first, a solid roster player - you could maybe throw in a prospect as well.

Hard for me to believe that Phil Kessel would command much more in a trade than James Neal. A young, solid, proven goal scoring winger...I think they are comparable, although I think a case can be made Neal is better. But even if you think Neal is better, that's a comparable trade in the real world.
Goligoski is worth a lot more than Setoguchi tbf

Old
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:

Your comment about where the players were drafted is kind of dumb too. Komisarek was drafted 7th overall, so he should be considered equivalent to a 1st round pick I guess.
No - it makes perfect sense. Komisarek has already played in the NHL and established how terrible he is and what kind of player he is.

Coyle, Granlund, and Dumba were drafted a year or two ago, thereofore the thinking is still that they will end up where their draft projection has them. They've done nothing but excel at every level they've played at.

Of course, all of them could bust, any prospect can - but they are basically teenagers who haven't played in the NHL yet, so as of now they have the value of their draft and scouting projections.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Goligoski is worth a lot more than Setoguchi tbf
Agreed. There were no draft picks in the Neal deal. Neal and Niskanen for Goligoski.

I was saying Setoguchi + a first. But I would say if you are looking to see watch Phil Kessels value on the trade market would be James Neal would be a solid comparison

Old
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
IHeartZherdev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Why do the leafs need Yandle?
Because their defense is terrible?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
Quote:

I have no idea what is in the Jake Gardiner kool-aid in Toronto, but that is insane. Granland was the 9th overall pick. Matthew Dumba was the 7th overall pick. Coyle was 28th overall. PLUS another first?!

The idea that the Wild would give up the entire future of their organization, the equivalent of 4 first round picks is hilarious. I doubt they would trade Dumba for Gardiner straight up. Jake Gardiner is not even in the top 10 of defensmen his age...
To the first bolded, you aren't even close tbh. Think top prospect and a 1st, or Top prospect, mid prospect and a 2nd. We aren't interested in roster players unless under the age of 23. My interest from the wild would be Granlund and a 1st for Kess, even that I feel is generous. A ppg winger still elevating his play for a likely 2nd line center and a late 1st.

To the second bolded, I find that quite surprising. I also get the impression that you have pretty much never actually watched Jake. It's not about his stat line, it's more about the way he can control a game if all goes well. He is a unique player with a much higher value than Dumba.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
look back at hossa's return it was GARBAGE
Yeah so was Kovalchuk's. And Heatley's when he was still thought of as capable rebounding to 40-50 goal form. Hint hint.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

DO NOT trade him. Re-sign him. Offer him a massive 8 year extension. He will not turn it down.

Phil plays a style that will see him be a star well into his 30's.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Because their defense is terrible?
no it's not. They need better goaltending.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote