HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
miked1101

vCash: 500
If Luongo goes to Toronto I bet all the Toronto fans who are under-valuing him now think he's worth a lot more.

Old
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
I don't know about north of 6 million. For the past 12-18 months I have found Luongo to be brutal. I really think a team would be foolish\insane to give up assets to attain him and that contract.
You don't watch much Canucks hockey do you?

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Ownership deal was finalized in August. Any other bogus facts?
Look, if you want to drink the koolaid that ownership is selling that's your perogative. Burke is generally truthful and he stated numerous times the reason he was canned. If you choose to believe that 4 years of missing the playoffs was not the main reason then, IMO, you're in a state of denial and nothing i can say will change your mind.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So when Luongo is 39 and still has 3 years remaining at a $5.2M cap hit, that's A-OK for Vancouver fans?
Depends on what the cap is...

If it keeps expanding at a fairly consistent rate and is around $90 mil then ya, whatever.

Old
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Burke specifically mentioned it. More than once. It's also the most logical reason. How many years do you think he should ahve got to show results?
Tom Anselmi/Nonis conference.

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
...For 9 more years.

Gillis is a used car salesman who is trying to sell a used BMW for 10K above bluebook and claims it's such a good deal because look! The monthly payments are kinda low! What they don't tell you, or choose not to mention, is that you're paying it off 3 times longer then you want to.
If that's the case we'll see who the used car salesman manages to rip off (remember there is no warranty or refund with this used car).

Hopefully it'll be the Oilers.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
LOL! Had Burke won more he'd still be there. But hey, I'm sure that MLSE doesn't care about that. They just want a pleasant chap runnin gthe team.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Look, if you want to drink the koolaid that ownership is selling that's your perogative. Burke is generally truthful and he stated numerous times the reason he was canned. If you choose to believe that 4 years of missing the playoffs was not the main reason then, IMO, you're in a state of denial and nothing i can say will change your mind.
Burke specifically said the reason he got from management for being fired was not satisfactory.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
And if personality was the reason he would have been canned last May.
Clearly results were the biggest factor as acknowledged by Burke.
Someone else owned the team in May. The new owners took over in August and since we have 3 different owners it probably took them a while to come to a consensus.

Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Seriously. Ive never seen anyone debate such a futile argument before when the facts are posted everywhere on the web!

I bet the truth would come out had Burke been completely let go, instead of giving him a golden parachute advisor role to keep him a little "in check"

Old
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
So when Luongo is 39 and still has 3 years remaining at a $5.2M cap hit, that's A-OK for Vancouver fans?
Because he'll most likely retire then, leaving only 2 mil cap penalty for 3 years in a much higher salary cap world.

And if he doesn't retire he can be traded to a cap floor team like Florida, when his actual salary is just 1.6, 1, 1 mil for the last 3 years. And that would result in no cap penalties.

Old
Wizeman*

Quote:
...For 9 more years.

Gillis is a used car salesman who is trying to sell a used BMW for 10K above bluebook and claims it's such a good deal because look! The monthly payments are kinda low! What they don't tell you, or choose not to mention, is that you're paying it off 3 times longer then you want to.
I dont think its that bad. I just think he's waited too long.

He had from the end of April until Sept 15th to make a deal, and then not counting the 'unofficial' conversations the GMs had all during the lock out.

After 50 threads of re hashing the same talking points from the Canucks , Leafs, and Panthers POV, I dont see anything helpful or insightful here for the fans anymore. The meat has long disappeared off the bone.

I think he stays in Vancouver for the rest of the season.

Old
JackJ

Quote:
Burke has spewed more BS in the last four years then all previous Leafs GM's combined. AS a Nucks fan you should be familiar with his shtick.

AGAIN, I would have fired him on results alone, but it's blatantly obvious ownership didn't. This has nothing to do with what I believe, it's in the interviews.

Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
LOL! Had Burke won more he'd still be there. But hey, I'm sure that MLSE doesn't care about that. They just want a pleasant chap runnin gthe team.

Do you have any knowledge with how high level corporations operate?

Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Seriously. Ive never seen anyone debate such a futile argument before when the facts are posted everywhere on the web!

I bet the truth would come out had Burke been completely let go, instead of giving him a golden parachute advisor role to keep him a little "in check"
There is no golden parachute. Burke gets paid the full amount of his contract whether he's a senior advisor or sits at home watching telemundo.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Burke specifically said the reason he got from management for being fired was not satisfactory.
He said it was because he didn't win enough games. Look, I heard what ownership said but I've followed sports long enough to know that winning hides a lot of faults. If you choose to believe ownership then that's your perogative.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Do you have any knowledge with how high level corporations operate?
Yes I do. They operate to make a profit which in hockey means winning.
Whether you're a CEO, VP or in this case GM of a hockey team if you don't show results you get canned.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
JackJ

Quote:

By all means, prove me wrong once his contract is over.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I dont think its that bad. I just think he's waited too long.

He had from the end of April until Sept 15th to make a deal, and then not counting the 'unofficial' conversations the GMs had all during the lock out.

After 50 threads of re hashing the same talking points from the Canucks , Leafs, and Panthers POV, I dont see anything helpful or insightful here for the fans anymore. The meat has long disappeared off the bone.

I think he stays in Vancouver for the rest of the season.
Tis possible.

There are other things that could happen too. Apparently the Hawks might be upgrading their goaltending soon.

Not saying that's Luongo (likely isn't) but perhaps another team is shedding a goaltender to pickup Luongo.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Clearly if he was doing a great job and the team was a contender they would have been willing to put up with a GM they didnt really like but he wasnt doing well enough with the team to make them ignore the issues they had with his personality.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Burke has spewed more BS in the last four years then all previous Leafs GM's combined. AS a Nucks fan you should be familiar with his shtick.

AGAIN, I would have fired him on results alone, but it's blatantly obvious ownership didn't. This has nothing to do with what I believe, it's in the interviews.
As would I and as did ownership. It's a large corporation and he failed to show results. It's business nothing more nothing less. Just like every other business run by the owners of MLSE. You'd have to be naive to believe otherwise. ANyways I'm done here. You're just buying into the company line.

Closed Thread