HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey Captains

Old
01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
letsgojackets

vCash: 500
Hockey Captains

First, I am not looking to start this a a debate or arguement. I am looking for examples to help teach kids about some of the great leaders in the sport and the history of the sport.

I coach a team of mites (7-8 year olds) and I have introduced a captain of the game. For a few, I have used examples of real players (Messier and Sakic)

For two of the kids, I am looking for real life examples for the following scenarios:

1 - Had the "A" for most of the career and then became "C". My initial thought was Niklas Lindstrom.

2 - Became "C" late in the career with some success.

Thanks in advance.

letsgojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:23 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post
First, I am not looking to start this a a debate or arguement. I am looking for examples to help teach kids about some of the great leaders in the sport and the history of the sport.

I coach a team of mites (7-8 year olds) and I have introduced a captain of the game. For a few, I have used examples of real players (Messier and Sakic)

For two of the kids, I am looking for real life examples for the following scenarios:

1 - Had the "A" for most of the career and then became "C". My initial thought was Niklas Lindstrom.

Thanks in advance.
Francis and Jagr for the Penguins is an example for No. 1.

For No. 2 I would say Andrewchuck for Tampa Bay as well as Forsberg for one season only (his Hart winning season).

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgojackets View Post

Thanks in advance.
Personally for 7 or 8 year olds are the examples of Sakic and Messier relevant to them?

I would be more inclined to teach them the principles of leadership and use in game of the previous games captain of your team as examples for kids in that age group.

Hard work, team work, effort and being reliable are some of the things I would be focusing on rather than players.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
thom

Brian Burke Mark Messier Phil esposito are considered good leaders.But does that transfer to their personal lives.Leadership in team sports and a leader as a father or husband are not transferable in my view.I respect all three but the term leadership irritates me.Messier missed the playoffs the last 6 yrs of his career but people seem to forget?

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Personally for 7 or 8 year olds are the examples of Sakic and Messier relevant to them?

I would be more inclined to teach them the principles of leadership and use in game of the previous games captain of your team as examples for kids in that age group.

Hard work, team work, effort and being reliable are some of the things I would be focusing on rather than players.
That said, if those 7 and 8 year olds are going to school every day with Jonathan Toews and Sidney Crosby on their pencil cases, invoking those names might be a good way to get them to sit up and listen.

Which is to say, don't tell them about Teeder Kennedy and Eddie Shore. That won't help.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote