HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
So,
Even though I am willing to give Ryan three years to turn it around. Do people think he can do it? I have watched ex Tommies play in various leagues in the city and they are usually very talented dudes that are well above local guys who did not play University hockey, but if the team is down in players, seldom winning, and drawing very few fans, should we have a team in the CIS. AT STU we can offer the same as far as any other university re scolarships, etc but we can not offer the same number of courses or the recent history of winning? The volleyball and other non cis sports are great...just saying.
then where would STU play hockey? Not like there is a lower league for the school to be playing in. Just cause the team isin't winning dosent mean you remove the team from the AUS.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:16 AM
cookiecutter

Amazing game last night. Two evenly matched teams in a well played game. Did any one see what happened to the Dal player who got cut on the arm? No one can criticize the effort of either team. Having said all of this, I hope the Tommies have enough gas in the tank to give it for 60 minutes tonight. Short bench is both a blessing and a curse.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:06 AM
cookiecutter

I see the Tommies were called "bottomfeeders" in the Gleaner. Personally, if I gave it my all in a hockey game and won, I would be less than impressed to be called a bottomfeeder!

Old
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
I see the Tommies were called "bottomfeeders" in the Gleaner. Personally, if I gave it my all in a hockey game and won, I would be less than impressed to be called a bottomfeeder!
Trolling again? "Bottomfeeders" was meant to refer to the fact that they are the bottom two teams in the standings. Didn't disparage the effort of either team. Read it again.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Trolling again? "Bottomfeeders" was meant to refer to the fact that they are the bottom two teams in the standings. Didn't disparage the effort of either team. Read it again.
maybe write "cellar dwellers" next time....either way, people are going to be upset!

Old
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
gleanerguy

Point taken. There's no real pretty way to put it...

Old
01-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Rob

Was it a surprise that Justin Collier left the program so soon?

I was looking at Tyler Piercy's stats. It has him listed at 5'07. Rare to see a goalie that small anymore.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Was it a surprise that Justin Collier left the program so soon?

I was looking at Tyler Piercy's stats. It has him listed at 5'07. Rare to see a goalie that small anymore.
For sure it was a surprise, I thought he was a great goalie. As I understand it, he returned from Christmas break, was late for practice…again…and that was the straw. Ryan told him to leave. I'm telling ya, he is serious about rebuilding the team and he wants people that will help, not hinder the process. Maybe he shoots himself in the foot but maybe, just maybe, he gets it right. Time will tell.

Tyler is small, no denying that. Doubt he'll see much action but we are lucky to have him.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:02 AM
gleanerguy

I think it's clear: these are the rules, break the rules and you're gone. No exceptions. NO exceptions. It's designed to send a message to the team, but also to the community. It's how you build pride in a program. He's building the foundation of the program.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
SnipeShow91

I'm sure there is another reason why Collier left the program. I heard rumblings all the way in Ontario about it.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:59 PM
FreddtFoyle

No, the way I hear it was that Collier was frequently late for practice and was told to get it together ... and didn't.

I agree completely with gleanerguy. Good for Troy.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:02 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I know every team has injuries and what not and may have to play some games shorthanded...but I noticed STU only had 17 guys even listed in the program. Is that right, or was it missing a few names?? If that's the case then STU is going to have a tough final 7 games. Tonight they only dressed 14 skaters.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 01-17-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Rob

Is Christian Morin still with the team? I heard that he had left then that he was back.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:35 AM
cookiecutter

Not sure if he is back or not. The school website is usually far behind the games actual player list. The same with the women's team. I thought they had several players from Europe on the rooster. Did they never play, leave, or am I still not reading the list right. I went to their game yesterday, but am still confused....Gleaner Guy, cam you help?

Old
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
cookiecutter

Tommy fans appear to be growing discontent...I have heard Troy has no recruiting money, Eagles still has his hand in the team and everyone seems content to have a middle of the road team, if we can get there. I am at a loss myself. We used to have good teams under MacAdam and Smith. Can we not get there again? What are you guys thinking?

Old
01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
AUS Fan

Regarding Morin: He was a scratch at Dal this past weekend, if that means anything. He is still on the game program, again for what that's worth.

I used to play hockey with his dad, but don't anymore, so have no info from that source.

Regarding good team at STU: It takes "money", both above and below the table, to ice a competive team. I'm not casting aspersions on any other team in the AUS, but stating the obvious.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Quote:
Tommy fans appear to be growing discontent...I have heard Troy has no recruiting money, Eagles still has his hand in the team and everyone seems content to have a middle of the road team, if we can get there. I am at a loss myself. We used to have good teams under MacAdam and Smith. Can we not get there again? What are you guys thinking?
It's a different situation, as the conference is at a higher level than those days. If your hands are tied, it's going to be a problem in regards to recruiting. Top end teams are pulling from all 3 major junior leagues to find success. This team needs to be able to do so, in order to be a higher end team. If Troy doesn't have the resources, it's going to be a long ride!

Old
01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
rantfather

Getting back to.The Day @ STU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
It's a different situation, as the conference is at a higher level than those days. If your hands are tied, it's going to be a problem in regards to recruiting. Top end teams are pulling from all 3 major junior leagues to find success. This team needs to be able to do so, in order to be a higher end team. If Troy doesn't have the resources, it's going to be a long ride!
The reasons for lack of sufficient numbers of recruits and short recruiting $$$ is common knowledge in Freddyville.

Recruiting back in the day( MacAdam era ) was NOT rocket science and I might add that not one recrruit that this recruiter had anything to do with received ”one penny" more than compensation guidelines but rather relied on matching up appropriate candidates with corresponding academic programs......many of the recruits who opted for STU were being aggressively recruited by other schools but bought what we,ie STU was selling.

TROY RYAN has done an.amazing job of securing a number of bluenchip team members and will eventually land sufficient snipers to become more competitive in the AUS.

Salvation is near at hand as the real fans know.

OBSCENE compensations are NOT required to build a contender but rather proper identification of talent and securing same.

Keep tbe faith,better days ahead,::

RANTFATHER, BA 68.

Last edited by rantfather: 01-31-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo error
Old
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
TROY RYAN has done an.amazing job of securing a number of bluenchip team members and will eventually land sufficient snipers to become more competitive in the AUS.
How has he done an amazing job? We have 12 players in the lineup per game! UNB has more players in the stands than STU does on the ice! As an alum its rather embarassing to watch the team play with less than a minor hockey team for 60 minutes of hockey. I was watching the Dalhousie/STU game on friday and it looked like we were sucking wind out there cause we had no bodies. That alone to me dosen't make a good recruiter. He's a great coach from what my maritime players tell me at RMC, but he failed in his first summer. Picking up Groenheyde to make games 4-1 instead of 10-1 dosen't make the difference.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:56 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
How has he done an amazing job? We have 12 players in the lineup per game! UNB has more players in the stands than STU does on the ice! As an alum its rather embarassing to watch the team play with less than a minor hockey team for 60 minutes of hockey. I was watching the Dalhousie/STU game on friday and it looked like we were sucking wind out there cause we had no bodies. That alone to me dosen't make a good recruiter. He's a great coach from what my maritime players tell me at RMC, but he failed in his first summer. Picking up Groenheyde to make games 4-1 instead of 10-1 dosen't make the difference.
I agree, it is foolish to say that he has done an amazing job. Earlier in the season, they had a chance to win back some fans, in a beautiful new arena, but a lot of fans aren't coming, due to the results?
They practice with 14 bodies and this can't happen next year. I understand that some players have been weeded out, but they need depth to go along with some top end skilled players for next year. This off season will be key to the rebuild.
The rumours of packing it in are ridicules. New rink, new uniforms, I think it is BS!
This city needs the Tommie's. With 2 teams, they have the luxury of watching AUS hockey every weekend throughout the winter months. To lose one of those teams would be a huge blow and pave the way for a Q team to settle beside UNB.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
You aren't close to the team so you really don't know.

Some of the answer is the coach's hands were tied. At the start of the season he had his school imposed limit. Remember, even though Matt E wasn't playing he was still part of the team, it was one less body. Leduc and Reich left at Xmas, Troy took responsibility but didn't want to bring in heavily recruited - in some cases so so players - guys to replace the same calibre and for what purpose? Beat DAL for 7th?

Again my opinion, but he is doing it the right way. What do u guys want?

It isn't going to happen overnight. Stay the course and stick to the plan. That is what he has to do. It isn't sexy but that is what is needed.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
gleanerguy

Ryan has done this before in the Maritime Hockey League. He knows what he's doing...recruit solid, character guys to provide a foundation and establish a work ethic. As they improve and the team establishes itself as more competitive every night, more top end players will be inclined to come and be part of it.
It's been a horrendous year for injuries and other circumstances and that reflects in their record too. One thing Ryan told me in an interview setting recently: "If we don't go right down to the wire next year contending for a playoff spot, I will have failed,"

Old
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM
AUS Fan

I know Troy from his days playing for "Jimbo" and coaching/managing in the MHL and agree with STUTOMMIES that he needs a chance to put his stamp on this team. But, having said that, time is in short supply. A playoff appearance within the next 2 years is almost a must in order to establish STU as a place to play. Moral victories will only carry you so far.

I hope he can pull it off.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
cishockeyfan

I do think Troy has done a very good job with the cards he's been dealt, the team that was handed to him and the say Cap Limit he's had issued this year was kinda a unexpected blow as far as Im heard, and its not because of Mike Eagles, someone correct me if Im wrong but their was some unforeseen possibly even unjustified cost to the Grant Harvey Centre?

But their is a very fragile situation right now, not great recruits were brought in, they possibly have less talent than last year (personal opinion only) but that was not Troys Fault this season (see above), but the short on bodies numbers is a problem, because you do need depth, but the worry here is if Troy has similar Recruiting Limits for Next Season, without losing anyone off the current team he already needs a lot of bodies, he will lose graduating players and unfortunately as the past few seasons have gone lose some players he did not expect to, simply cause they are tired of losing.

Giving some Players the Option of Walking or forcing them to walk cause of their attitude and or character I agree with 100% but its still a touchy subject because you don't walk to scare off possible new talented recruits from stepping foot into the rink if they feel that could have to them. I don't really have an answer but I'm just saying its a fine line touchy fragile situation.

People often forget UNB wins not just cause of Major Junior Statistics players had, but because they have a lot of former Captains and Assistants with some talent, team players who believe buying into the program. love them or hate them UNB does not get by on CHL former stats, they play hard, they skate hard, for-check hard. Take a look a Dalhousie, Pete Beliveau brought in some impressive talent to Dalhousie over the past few years (legally is up for debate) but the talent was their players who had great Junior Careers or overage years statistically but on the Ice as a Team they've had no success cause their was no character.

I will agree the rumours of Folding in the program are completely false at this time cause of what they have invested but if things continue its not to say in another 3 years that couldn't happen. If STU Folded I would pack in my bags as a CIS Hockey Fan, the AUS just wouldn't be the same anymore

Old
02-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Ryan has done this before in the Maritime Hockey League. He knows what he's doing...recruit solid, character guys to provide a foundation and establish a work ethic. As they improve and the team establishes itself as more competitive every night, more top end players will be inclined to come and be part of it.
It's been a horrendous year for injuries and other circumstances and that reflects in their record too. One thing Ryan told me in an interview setting recently: "If we don't go right down to the wire next year contending for a playoff spot, I will have failed,"
If his plan involves a foundation of character players and he has a university imposed roster cap, why did he give a precious roster spot to a renowned headache with only moderate upside like Leduc?

I'm a Troy Ryan fan but any notion that he is on track at executing a successful plan seems rather absurd. I'm also all for taking a step backwards when necessary to move a few steps forward but this season has been an absolute embarrassment. Many of the factors for this nightmare season have been completely out of Troy's hands but let's not pretend this is part of a plan that sees him on track to execute a masterpiece rebuild.

Closed Thread