2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
JansenHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Opilka and Carlsson are unbelieveable from what ive been hearing and very impressive in a recent tournament down south. Nice goalie list. Semaio on YSE, a real big-game goalie granted his size is on the small end. Excellent technique and rebound control. Semaio battles hard, his glove hand is excellent. Ben Blacker is committed to Western Michigan.

Not sure how well u know the 98's, but Honeybaked 98's Michael Latorella Goaltender is a very, very special goaltender.

Brayden St.Germaine I still like this goalie from the 96 crop. I really believe in this kids long term abilities. He is doing well with the Kanata Stallions, playing Junior B. I was able to watch a few of his starts this year. Im thinking an OHL team might invite him to camp or he can re-enter the draft if im not mistaken.
Opilka is getting good reviews in the US. Some talk about Valardo but his small frame will hold him back. I have not seen Carlsson. There are a few others in the US getting some looks. One in Minnesota and off the OHL list. Helvig is very hot and cold. A giant that people are paying close attention to. Can't get a good read on him. Tampano also. Was rated AA by OHL CS but seems to let in some easy goals when his team needs him. Big big kid. Can't knock that. Semaio has been good. Very small but gets around the net and make key saves. Can play bog games. McGlynn has been very good for Oakville. Could be one of the most athletic tenders in the group. Incredible foot speed and positionally sound.

I can't come up a first goalie pick. Wide open right now. If we default to size Tampano or Helvig may get the pick. Anyone have a guess

Old
01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
walker33

knotts out

Old
01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
chewerjones

What I hear around the rinks from alot of the hockey guys is that this year will be the year of alot of mistakes?

Take that for what it is worth, and you guys know what I feel is a mistake out there.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker33 View Post
knotts out
for the year? or just a short period? What type of injury?

Old
01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
ontohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
What I hear around the rinks from alot of the hockey guys is that this year will be the year of alot of mistakes?

Take that for what it is worth, and you guys know what I feel is a mistake out there.
Chewer, can you please explain?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
hockeyonice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
Opilka is getting good reviews in the US. Some talk about Valardo but his small frame will hold him back. I have not seen Carlsson. There are a few others in the US getting some looks. One in Minnesota and off the OHL list. Helvig is very hot and cold. A giant that people are paying close attention to. Can't get a good read on him. Tampano also. Was rated AA by OHL CS but seems to let in some easy goals when his team needs him. Big big kid. Can't knock that. Semaio has been good. Very small but gets around the net and make key saves. Can play bog games. McGlynn has been very good for Oakville. Could be one of the most athletic tenders in the group. Incredible foot speed and positionally sound.

I can't come up a first goalie pick. Wide open right now. If we default to size Tampano or Helvig may get the pick. Anyone have a guess
From what i've seen i think this is a draft for smaller goalies. The draft is fairly deep with a dozen or so that could eventually play in the o. there is some bigger goalies out there as mentioned but lack of mobility and consistanticy really shows with these tendys. I don't believe a goalie will go first two rounds as they all seem to need more development and growth. last year you had herbst and moran that could fit right in. I tend to watch more of the omha heres a few i seem to like semaio, menary, mcglyn, schoeman.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Same reason why Gagne didn't load lines at prospect game. They played a ton in this game. Strome has to be better in big games for a top pick. Rajic, Hayhurst and Zeppy were very good. Clapham very physical, Luvtowatch wouldn't have liked how Clapham man handled Robinson.

RW JRC game slow. Very tough game to watch. Got real nasty at end. Tuesday should be some good hockey to finish up the regular season.
I wasn't at the game, but that's great for Austin. I've never really seen him get the best of another big boy. Did he get any penalties?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
mapleleaf979

These are my thoughts on the Prospect Game:

Adrian Carbonara can be a handful on the forecheck. He has a hard snap shot that he showed on a few occasions, he skates well and is a big boy. He played on Stromes line and was dangerous in the early parts of the game.

Adam Holwell blocked about 4 shots in this game, impressive to see him do this. Shows that he competes and sacrifices himself. Tough kid.

Korostelev didnt impress me at the prospects game at all. He takes line changes at the worst time, usually after he turns the puck over and does not want to work to get the puck back. Other times the puck is in the offensive zone and battles are along the boards, he floats and will change instead of supporting the puck. When the other team is on the counter attack he should be back-checking hard, he will ask for a change. 9 times out of 10 in one on one situations he moves to his right side. His skating stride is awkward and he doesnt have blazing speed.

Zach Wilkie. I love this kids mindset. When he gains more weight he will become that much more of a punishing hitter. Wilkie has good speed and when he puck rushes and nothing is there, he will dump and chase the puck all on his own, thats one of my favourite parts of his game. He has a bomb from the point and he can one time the puck which is important. Wilkie has lots of potential and is getting better and better. Consistency ud like to see a little more it.

I like how Liam Dunda skates for a big guy.

Mitch Marner is a very smart hockey player, is it me or does he appear to be in the middle of a growth spurt? He definately looks taller than he did a few months ago. If he has space he is smart enough to dissect the other team. One of his cross ice bullet passes was very impressive. On one play Brancatella played Marner's body and didnt look at the puck and basically just stop him in his tracks in a one on one situation. Thats a situation where size can hold him back a little bit.

Matt McConnach I like this prospect more and more as time goes by. Good size, can skate, good at puck retrieval skills. Has gotten better as the year has gone by.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 01-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post

Id say thats pretty much right about Helvig and Timpano. Brendan Johnston is another pretty big goalie, that I think is quite good. Id definately draft Semaio. Short but stocky build. Hard to teach his mentality. His techniques impress me. He kicks every low shot into the corners and out of danger.

The most impressive goalie ive seen this year is a Bantam goalie. Mike Latorella Detroit Honeybaked. I think he is farther along than Herbst was in minor midget than Latorella is in Bantam. He is so darn good. LAtorella would dominate minor midget right now.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
wingman22

[QUOTE=mapleleaf979;57532667]1. Ottawa - Sean Day
2. Peterbourough- Zach Werenski (Trouble with guys reporting, may look at local boy M.Stephens)
3. Erie- Matt Spencer (Top Ontario boy, incredible skater, puck rushing Dmen who logs lots minutes)
4. Kingston - Dylan Strome (young centerman with Bennett and Watson, dont think they go D here)
5. Saginaw - Luke Kirwan (Try and get the US boy to play south of the border)
6. Mississauga- Travis Konecny
7. North Bay- Jordan Greenway (Will the american boy report here? Doubt it)
8. Sudbury- Brett Mckenzie (very complete player, competes, excellent playmaking skills, board work)
9. Sault ste Marie- Nikita Korostelev (great pairing with McCann)
10. Plymouth- Lawson Crouse
11. Guelph- Mitchell Stephens (stock falling, his feet/hands could dominate every shift, lacks ambition)
12. Niagara- Cole Mayo
13. Sarnia- Troy Henley (needs to work on his conditioning, at times appears lazy, lots of tools)
14. Oshawa- Connor Schlichting (He will not make it past London, who like him alot)
15. Belleville- Blake Speers (Maybe the fastest guy in this draft, big ice suits him)
16. Kitchener- Connor Walters(very complete Dman, Battle and board work is incredible)
17. Owen Sound- Garrett MCfadden (home town boy, born in OS)
18. Barrie- Ethan Szypula
19. London- Colton White

Without Day, who will not report to Peternorough until they get their ducks in order. Brian Kilreay a BIG fan of Day. Without Yan, who is born in Alaska, deemed ineligible will play US NTDP. Sources from OHL indicate that Nikita Korostelev will not be eligible. Those the only 3 in doubt IMO.
Tough decision for Kirwin, Werenski and Greenway to choose between OHL and US NTDP.

I think Stephens could (2 months to be consistent) be a top pick but I feel he is #3 centre available unless moved to the wing. His spot depends on the selection of other teams.

1. Ottawa F/ D.Strome or D /Matt Spencer - effect Kingston pick
2. Peterborough F/ Travis Konecney ( Petes big on him ) or do they go local ?
3. Erie D/ zach werenski if they decide D. If not they will take Stephens
3. Kingston F/ Strome if Ottawa doesnt. they may take Stephens
5. Saginaw D/ matt Spencer, just traded for 96 Bratina at Centre
6. Mississauga F/ Luke Kirwan BPA
7. North Bay F/ Brett McKenzie BPA
8. Sudbury F/ Lawson Crouse BPA
9. Soo F/ Blake Speers Local
10. Plymouth F/ Mitchell Stephens BPA
11. Guelph D/ Troy Henley
12. Niagara F/ Micheal Davies
13. Sarnia D/ Cole Mayo ---- if Yan is in he will go to Sarnia
14. Oshawa D/ Connor Schlicting
15. Belleville D/ Josh Defarias - Skating, just loaded up on fwds. 3 D graduating
16. Kitchener D/ Connor Walters
17. Owen Sound D/ Garret McFadden
18. Barrie D/ Tyler McArthur ( local)
19. London D Peski

Old
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Without Day, who will not report to Peternorough until they get their ducks in order. Brian Kilreay a BIG fan of Day. Without Yan, who is born in Alaska, deemed ineligible will play US NTDP. Sources from OHL indicate that Nikita Korostelev will not be eligible. Those the only 3 in doubt IMO.
Tough decision for Kirwin, Werenski and Greenway to choose between OHL and US NTDP.
1. Day will go to Peterborough or he wont get exeptional status. Just how it works. Remember last year with the people who had rumours that McDavid would refuse to go to Erie?

2. Both Korostelev and Yan are eligible for the draft. Only one player (not those two) has had an issue prop up with residence.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I think Stephens could (2 months to be consistent) be a top pick but I feel he is #3 centre available unless moved to the wing. His spot depends on the selection of other teams.

1. Ottawa F/ D.Strome or D /Matt Spencer - effect Kingston pick
2. Peterborough F/ Travis Konecney ( Petes big on him ) or do they go local ?
3. Erie D/ zach werenski if they decide D. If not they will take Stephens
3. Kingston F/ Strome if Ottawa doesnt. they may take Stephens
5. Saginaw D/ matt Spencer, just traded for 96 Bratina at Centre
6. Mississauga F/ Luke Kirwan BPA
7. North Bay F/ Brett McKenzie BPA
8. Sudbury F/ Lawson Crouse BPA
9. Soo F/ Blake Speers Local
10. Plymouth F/ Mitchell Stephens BPA
11. Guelph D/ Troy Henley
12. Niagara F/ Micheal Davies
13. Sarnia D/ Cole Mayo ---- if Yan is in he will go to Sarnia
14. Oshawa D/ Connor Schlicting
15. Belleville D/ Josh Defarias - Skating, just loaded up on fwds. 3 D graduating
16. Kitchener D/ Connor Walters
17. Owen Sound D/ Garret McFadden
18. Barrie D/ Tyler McArthur ( local)
19. London D Peski
Ya I agree. Not sure who will go there. If they can get any of the alleged top 10 picks they will go for it. Korostelev u didnt add to the top 19? Im basically 100% sure Stephens plays the wing in the OHL next year. One guy on my list that I think will probably rise and be higher come draft day is Connor Walters. He wins every puck battle when they play against Oakville with Mckenzie, Petawabano, Craivech forechecking like crazy. Walters is there to calm it down, win the battle and the puck starts up the ice for Southern Tier. When a big guy is front of the net trying to screen his goalie, Walters engages that player right away, lets him know he is there, pushes and battles him to move. Walters is very complete. 6-2 195 is nice too. I also see Davies on your list, I like him and Baird, quite a bit too. Defarius Im not sold on him. Schlichting is another guy I think could rise on my list. Schlichting will be in the NHL one day.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
HockeyAunt1997

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by HockeyAunt1997: 01-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
1. Day will go to Peterborough or he wont get exeptional status. Just how it works. Remember last year with the people who had rumours that McDavid would refuse to go to Erie?

2. Both Korostelev and Yan are eligible for the draft. Only one player (not those two) has had an issue prop up with residence.
Tiger, I am 98% sure Yan will not get in. Inside info, appeal ruling.
Decision has not been made Korostelev. Don Cherry will lose his mind. lol

Day is waiting to accept the ES, if he sees that Ottawa is guarenteed. He will accept this. Everything ready to go.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Day is waiting to accept the ES, if he sees that Ottawa is guarenteed. He will accept this. Everything ready to go.
If Peterborough is picking #1, Day has to go there. If Peterborough is picking #2 all bets are off. With the 3 teams bunched on the bottom, Day's ES status will be determined before these 3 teams settle who has the bottom spot potentially. With that being said, Im sure they will make sure Day is willing to report to any of those potential teams. Day cant wait until the last week of the season to accept ES status.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Ya I agree. Not sure who will go there. If they can get any of the alleged top 10 picks they will go for it. Korostelev u didnt add to the top 19? Im basically 100% sure Stephens plays the wing in the OHL next year. One guy on my list that I think will probably rise and be higher come draft day is Connor Walters. He wins every puck battle when they play against Oakville with Mckenzie, Petawabano, Craivech forechecking like crazy. Walters is there to calm it down, win the battle and the puck starts up the ice for Southern Tier. When a big guy is front of the net trying to screen his goalie, Walters engages that player right away, lets him know he is there, pushes and battles him to move. Walters is very complete. 6-2 195 is nice too. I also see Davies on your list, I like him and Baird, quite a bit too. Defarius Im not sold on him. Schlichting is another guy I think could rise on my list. Schlichting will be in the NHL one day.
He was more of a threat on the wing with Strome, who can get him the puck. Watched last year at the Ontario Championship when he played the wing with Strome, again his speed was better utilized and he didnt have to put as much time in his own end. Problem with the Marlies this year appears to be the depth and Gagne needs to spread out the talent.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
wingman22

Quote:
If Peterborough is picking #1, Day has to go there. If Peterborough is picking #2 all bets are off. With the 3 teams bunched on the bottom, Day's ES status will be determined before these 3 teams settle who has the bottom spot potentially. With that being said, Im sure they will make sure Day is willing to report to any of those potential teams. Day cant wait until the last week of the season to accept ES status.
Agreed then Strome may be #1

Old
01-14-2013, 12:51 PM
walker33

Quote:
Schlick is one of those guys with a great head on his shoulders, great puck skills and big body. He throws the loudest hits! its awesome

Old
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Agreed then Strome may be #1
For that to happen:
1. Day would not apply for ES
2. Werenski/Kirwan wouldnt want to report to certain teams or not come to the OHL at all
3. U could make a case for Matt Spencer over Strome in my opinion.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:

Im somewhat inside as well lol. Have been for a few years now

Day has yet to apply. Application to Hockey Canada cant start yet, as per the 'Exceptional Status' rule. As part of the process, your either in or your out. You can not dictate where you are going, thats part of the mental examinations.

With regards to Yan, he was born in Alaska, but has been an OHL area resident for long enough. Stefan Noesen rule here. Much like Noeson (who was born in Texas, a WHL territory) if you have been a resident for long enough (Yan has been) then there are no issues. Noeson and Yan are actually extremely similar cases.

Not sure who is giving the info, but everyone within the leauge that I have talked to (from Woodley to Baker) all have confirmed that the two will be part of the draft in April.

There is a third player who could be a top 40 player who has residency issues, there may be a mix up between him and Yan?

Old
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
wingman22

Quote:
For that to happen:
1. Day would not apply for ES
2. Werenski/Kirwan wouldnt want to report to certain teams or not come to the OHL at all
3. U could make a case for Matt Spencer over Strome in my opinion.
Think Key was the recent trade for one of the top 96 D Jake Middleton and moving Grayovac to Belleville. Most likely will look for a fwd if Day n/a

Old
01-14-2013, 01:08 PM
wingman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im somewhat inside as well lol. Have been for a few years now

Day has yet to apply. Application to Hockey Canada cant start yet, as per the 'Exceptional Status' rule. As part of the process, your either in or your out. You can not dictate where you are going, thats part of the mental examinations.

With regards to Yan, he was born in Alaska, but has been an OHL area resident for long enough. Stefan Noesen rule here. Much like Noeson (who was born in Texas, a WHL territory) if you have been a resident for long enough (Yan has been) then there are no issues. Noeson and Yan are actually extremely similar cases.

Not sure who is giving the info, but everyone within the leauge that I have talked to (from Woodley to Baker) all have confirmed that the two will be part of the draft in April.

There is a third player who could be a top 40 player who has residency issues, there may be a mix up between him and Yan?
Have you ever seen another year with so much speculation with US and Russian players enetering the OHL draft ?
Everyone on may have an impact at the top end of the draft.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Conner McDavid's ES was not announced until March 21 last year. The OHL season was over and draft order was known at that time.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Conner McDavid's ES was not announced until March 21 last year. The OHL season was over and draft order was known at that time.
Thats right. U missed my point, If the bottom 3 this year Ottawa, Peterborough and Erie are grouped closely together and it goes down to the wire, Day cant sit there and say yes or no in the last week or 2 of the season depending on where a certain team finishes. Day must say yes to all of those teams for the application to move forward.

They wont give Day ES to only go to one team. Its any team or dont apply. Mcdavid would have gone anywhere and that was known months before March 21st.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:56 PM
HockeyAunt1997

There definately is alot of talent out there right now!

Last edited by HockeyAunt1997: 01-14-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Closed Thread