HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 07:13 PM
JackJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Either way, I enjoyed the pun.

I'm not commenting strictly on the Kessel trade, as hindsights' always 20/20 (Phaneuf for 30 goal scorer Hagman, top 4 D Ian White, 2C Matt Stajan and perennial bruiser Jamal Mayers...could have gone the other way too). However, the team trading these picks, then proceeding to tank not once, not twice, but three times after that...that's not progress. If it had gone in sequence after the Kadri draft, say 7 -> 2 -> 5 -> 10, I maintain Burke probably would have kept his job. Speculative history isn't a strong are of discussion though, as there is no end game, no proof, and even the evidence is scant at best.
What bothered me most about it, is knowing you're on the verge of dismantling the previous team while expecting to make the playoffs. Add to the fact that Kessel isn't in any way a "Burke type" player at one of the least important positions on a hockey club.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
How about something like this...

Bozak + Ashton + 1st in 2014

for

Luongo + Schroeder
yuck

So Luongo & a former 1st overall & potential 2nd C while Kes is out for a UFA Bozak, a project & a pick ... the only real value is the 1st.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Agreed. The playoffs would be huge.
Not to mention that the owners want their products to be asociated with a successful team.
And I'm not just blowing smoke...residents of Vancouver/Lower Mainland....look at how many Bell stores (Cope) have been shut down, or sold to private dealers in the Lower Mainland. They've been halved (Kensington and Marine Way in Burnaby, Queensborough in New Westminster, one of the Pitt Meadows locations, one Maple Ridge location, at least 3 in Langley, one in Chilliwack, and more then half in Abbotsford and Surrey, Richmond center...the list goes on). It's hard to find good help when you need it. And anyone shopping for a cell phone at Christmas, one element was missing from most stores...customers. Doesn't matter which provider I went to, Rogers/Fido, Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin/Solo (Solo isn't even a thing anymore...) they were all empty.

Ranting and raving aside, my point is these telecommunications companies are looking for all the cash the can get with this last, big purchase, and I don't think intentionally tanking fulfills that. Tannenbaum might think that's a good idea, but he's only 25% of the ownership group.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
No, but the bottomline is the bottomline. That's why Burke was canned and that's how public companies operate. Four years is enough time to show improvement. He didn't and he's gone. It's insulting to the fans' intelligence to try to say it's because of his personality.
You're the only one thats insulted. I'm fine with it and like Oiler fans we see the benefits in losing seasons. Midway through Burke realized what all GM's understood after the cap system was put in place, drafting and developing is the key.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
nucksNflyers4life

Just keep Lou for a while, value go up most likely then dish him for what we need plus a pick .. His value will increase in the next while once goalies in the prospective markets fail

Old
01-13-2013, 07:17 PM
The Overseer*

Bozack is nothing. Worthless as a trade piece to a team that can just sign Arnott.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:18 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

wow to leafs for bozak and a first

Old
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Leafs are the most profitable team in the NHL and have been for years.

Next argument.

Of course playoffs add to the bottom line but we're not financially dependent on it.
Funny part is, 2 of the teams who made up for the 83 percent of league revenue finished bottom 5. Imagine if they made it?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksNflyers4life View Post
Just keep Lou for a while, value go up most likely then dish him for what we need plus a pick .. His value will increase in the next while once goalies in the prospective markets fail
Riding the bench?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Funny part is, 2 of the teams who made up for the 83 percent of league revenue finished bottom 5. Imagine if they made it?

It's obvious the league needs another team in toronto.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
What bothered me most about it, is knowing you're on the verge of dismantling the previous team while expecting to make the playoffs. Add to the fact that Kessel isn't in any way a "Burke type" player at one of the least important positions on a hockey club.
If they weren't on the verge of removing every single player that played for the previous administration and replacing them with younger, some times cheaper, players internally, and expensive, mercenary style free agents (Beauchemin, Komisarek, Connolly, Liles and Grabovski to an extent, trading for Lombardi, goalie after goalie).

Anyway, I digress, it happened, regardless of the reason for it.

If Toronto wants Luongo...the price is still that of a star player. If you don't like the contract, then don't bid, and hope Nonis and Bell/Rogers/Tannenbaum do the same. Luongo is a star player, and he might not be ideal for the Leafs plans, but no one who would be is available, he is your best choice unless you want to take the Raycroft/Toskala path again with Bernier.

I have been clear on my requests, no redundant players and sufficient value without tacking on extra contracts and picks, and high end futures, or those which fill a need. Leftovers and spare parts need not apply, we have enough of our own thank you

Old
01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Cogburn

Quote:

It's obvious the league needs another team in toronto.
Bettman: "Awww but I just gave Canada the Jets back...no fair"

Hamilton Bulldogs as an NHL franchise...I hope they keep the logo.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
nucksNflyers4life

Quote:
Riding the bench?
Yes.. He can sit.. If Schnieder struggles bring him in.. If a team needs him ASAP after a horrendous start we got the hammer .. Seems simple, Canucks not need to force it let it happen they will get what they want or close IMO that's all..

Old
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
JackJ

Quote:
If they weren't on the verge of removing every single player that played for the previous administration and replacing them with younger, some times cheaper, players internally, and expensive, mercenary style free agents (Beauchemin, Komisarek, Connolly, Liles and Grabovski to an extent, trading for Lombardi, goalie after goalie).

Anyway, I digress, it happened, regardless of the reason for it.

If Toronto wants Luongo...the price is still that of a star player. If you don't like the contract, then don't bid, and hope Nonis and Bell/Rogers/Tannenbaum do the same. Luongo is a star player, and he might not be ideal for the Leafs plans, but no one who would be is available, he is your best choice unless you want to take the Raycroft/Toskala path again with Bernier.

I have been clear on my requests, no redundant players and sufficient value without tacking on extra contracts and picks, and high end futures, or those which fill a need. Leftovers and spare parts need not apply, we have enough of our own thank you
I don't blame Nucks fans for some of the asking prices but from a Leafs perspective we're not in a position to make that type of deal. Few prospects & few NHL caliber players that benefit the Canucks = terrible trading partner.

Still sticking with the Panthers as the best fit on all fronts. They have the prospects, they have NHL level talent (Canucks can use), Luongo's top choice, Eastern conference team, they need the playoff revenue, Markstrom can develop properly, etc.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Bettman: "Awww but I just gave Canada the Jets back...no fair"

Hamilton Bulldogs as an NHL franchise...I hope they keep the logo.
The league has to follow the money.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
wow to leafs for bozak and a first
No valid source.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
How about something like this...

Bozak + Ashton + 1st in 2014

for

Luongo + Schroeder
Nope.

While the first has value, nothing else does, yet we add. This essentially amounts to Bozak and a first for Luongo. My absolute low would be

Kadri
Frattin
Bozak
2nd

Of course I would prefer that second as Finn but could live with the above. Lupul is who I want but suspect the Leafs have no interest of dealing him.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
I don't blame Nucks fans for some of the asking prices but from a Leafs perspective we're not in a position to make that type of deal. Few prospects & few NHL caliber players that benefit the Canucks = terrible trading partner.

Still sticking with the Panthers as the best fit on all fronts. They have the prospects, they have NHL level talent (Canucks can use), Luongo's top choice, Eastern conference team, they need the playoff revenue, Markstrom can develop properly, etc.
We're asking that much because we truly feel he is that valuable, contract included. I have said since square one, aside from the Leafs needing a goalie and the Canucks having 2 starters, we have nothing in synch as trading partners. We don't want to go out and screw the Leafs, at least not until very recently with these threads, but what we covet, you guys need.

The Panthers aren't ideal either, as they did quite well with what most would consider to be a sub-par starter in Theodore. Point is he got the job done, so why give up youth they've tanked for years to accumulate, or scoring, our other need, when your team has problems scoring to begin with?

Philadelphia, if rumours are true, possibly Edmonton and outside chance teams like Ottawa, San Jose, Washington and teams that have, temporarily solved their teams needs like Tampa and Columbus are all better fits, but we'll see. Someone from the Islanders was in these threads moving DiPietro and Moulson for Luongo, which, while needing some +, at least hits one need.

Quote:
The league has to follow the money.
I know, right!?!?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
yuck

So Luongo & a former 1st overall & potential 2nd C while Kes is out for a UFA Bozak, a project & a pick ... the only real value is the 1st.
Jake Gardiner and Kadri is the absolute minimum, either trade him for that package or keep him. If Gillis agrees to trade Luongo for Bozak or Asthon, or Frattin as centerpiece, he needs to be fired.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
No valid source.
wasn't on Dreger's twitter- whomever started that thread should be banned.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
wasn't on Dreger's twitter- whomever started that thread should be banned.
It was a fake account, I think. He got suckered.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Nash

Franson, MacIntyre and Mattau signed today. Gardiner must be on his way out

That Dreger rumor was from a fake Dreger account. Bozak + 1st is not happening.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Franson, MacIntyre and Mattau signed today. Gardiner must be on his way out

That Dreger rumor was from a fake Dreger account. Bozak + 1st is not happening.
We have former 3rd overall defender Cam Barker on less then his entry level deal, we don't need Gardiner anymore...you'd have to add

Old
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
stavs

What I don't like about luongo Is that we are stuck with him and his contract and his damn NMC. I basically turns his resale value to next to nothing as he ages. Leafs should avoid this at all costs.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
What I don't like about luongo Is that we are stuck with him and his contract and his damn NMC. I basically turns his resale value to next to nothing as he ages. Leafs should avoid this at all costs.
My honest opinion is that if he will waive for Toronto, there would only be a few teams he would absolutely shoot down. Columbus, in his CFOX interview, has been the only team he has seemed even mildly hesitant about.

Closed Thread