HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center Ice Discussion.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:47 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

vCash: 500
Center Ice Discussion.

My apologies for clogging up the forum with another thread, but I felt this needed it's own thread, so everyone interested in CI would see it, because it's pretty important, imo.

So, with the season starting and CI finally coming back, the pricing is still being figured, leaving us all wondering in the meantime. I know I buy CI so I can watch all the Pens games, then it's great to have when the Pens aren't in action, bc I also love watching teams around the league. However, if CI isn't cheap, I've been on the fence as to whether I'll purchase it, or not. Well, I just ran into some stats that I believe have swayed my decision into passing this season. Ready for it?

Pittsburgh is scheduled to have 4 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN. 15 games that will not be available through the CI package. So, there goes nearly 1/3rd of the season. If you're paying just to watch the Pens, you might want to rethink buying CI. What about the other 33 games though. I don't want to miss that action. Welp, remember that station called NHLN? Yea, the Pens are also scheduled to have 14 games televised by them. So, now, you're looking at 19 games on the Pens schedule that aren't scheduled for either NBC or NHLN.

If the NHL is asking me to pay over 100 dollars, I'll send them a video of me laughing. Seriously. At this point, the only way I'll be getting CI is if it's 39.99 or cheaper.

Here's links to NBC and NHLN schedules.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650061&print=true
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-47979

Also, keep in mind the first week or two will probably be a free showcasing of CI.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
wtbipyo

Right there with ya. I subscribe to Gamecenter though since Cable is pointless. In years past I've been annoyed by the NHL for blacking out ALL OF THESE GAMES. We pay for this and SOOOOO many get blacked out. On the fence too.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

they should make it free. At the very least they should drastically reduce the price.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Shady Machine

ugh I hate the NHL Network.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
ugh I hate the NHL Network.
Same. Instead of Pens related intermissions, it always goes to On the Fly. I also loath NBC, because that means it'll be 11 o'clock starts on Sundays and I always miss the first 10-30 minutes bc of stupid church programs running long.

Who wakes up on Sundays and says "Welp, time to go to church". Then walk into their living room to sit down and watch it on TV? Seriously? Anyone?

Old
01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Til the End of Time

question-- are the games on NBC, NBCSN, and the NHL network available on game center? or are they blacked out just like they are on center ice?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
djt153

as a pens fan in nyc, ill basically be able to see 2/3 of the pens between nbc/nbcn/nhln/msg. was thinking about buying the package, but doesnt seem as necessary after looking at the schedule.

djt153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
question-- are the games NBC, NBCSN, and the NHL network available on game center? or are they blacked out just like they are on center ice?
I'm not sure, since I've never used it, but I would think the same rules apply. Check the T&C.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Mr. T

29 games plus the first week or two of CI being free (likely)? This is spectacular news!

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

Yeah, I'd really like to see some pricing soon so I can decide on what to do. I'll cave and get it, but I'm hoping for a cheap price.

HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:39 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

My guess is that it comes in around $60-ish. Just a guess.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Stad
@Hagelin2Kessel

I'm ordering CI again tomorrow. I get it every year mainly for Pens games.

In Canada we don't get NBCSN, only NBC game of the week on Sunday so i need to get CI every year unless i wanna watch off a ****** stream, worth the money IMO.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
SirBrad

Thanks for bring this up. I am certainly not up for paying $100 to see 16 or 17 games, that's a little ridiculous...and then I have to factor in the games I will miss because of conflict with other plans and the reality is I could be paying $100 (or whatever) to see maybe 12-14 games?

Also, I will be able to watch 14 games against the Devils/Rangers/Islanders anyhow since I live in that market. That's almost 1/3 of the season right there.

I am sure they will do a free preview for at least a week and maybe up to 2. I am not ordering until I am up against the wall. I'd hate to not order though and miss games.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
question-- are the games on NBC, NBCSN, and the NHL network available on game center? or are they blacked out just like they are on center ice?
They were all blacked out last year. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
They were all blacked out last year. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
damn. thanks for info though, appreciate it.

not sure whether to get game center now.

i've watched a few games with online streams, and it was an ok experience. but has anyone relied exclusively on streams to watch basically every game?

the video quality isnt great, which i dont really mind, but are you reliably able to watch all the games?

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Yep, all blacked out.

I'm ecstatic to actually have NBCSN and NHL Network for the first time ever right now...but it's ****ing ******** to blackout games that aren't available to watch...such as the season opener will be for me (as much as I want to see the Kings raise the banner, scheduling any game simultaneous to Pens-Flyers to open the season, nevermind putting them on regional coverage, was a stupid decision by NBC).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:13 PM
djt153

i watched all the games via streams last season after finally giving up on *************.com after two years of poor quality and lackadaisical support. gamecenter is totally not worth it if you are a pens fan in new york. between the national tv games and isles/devils/rangers games, 60% of the season is blacked out.

djt153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
My apologies for clogging up the forum with another thread, but I felt this needed it's own thread, so everyone interested in CI would see it, because it's pretty important, imo.

So, with the season starting and CI finally coming back, the pricing is still being figured, leaving us all wondering in the meantime. I know I buy CI so I can watch all the Pens games, then it's great to have when the Pens aren't in action, bc I also love watching teams around the league. However, if CI isn't cheap, I've been on the fence as to whether I'll purchase it, or not. Well, I just ran into some stats that I believe have swayed my decision into passing this season. Ready for it?

Pittsburgh is scheduled to have 4 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN. 15 games that will not be available through the CI package. So, there goes nearly 1/3rd of the season. If you're paying just to watch the Pens, you might want to rethink buying CI. What about the other 33 games though. I don't want to miss that action. Welp, remember that station called NHLN? Yea, the Pens are also scheduled to have 14 games televised by them. So, now, you're looking at 19 games on the Pens schedule that aren't scheduled for either NBC or NHLN.

If the NHL is asking me to pay over 100 dollars, I'll send them a video of me laughing. Seriously. At this point, the only way I'll be getting CI is if it's 39.99 or cheaper.

Here's links to NBC and NHLN schedules.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650061&print=true
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-47979

Also, keep in mind the first week or two will probably be a free showcasing of CI.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1322497

Look at my posts in this thread, #'s 2 and 4.

01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 114
I apologize for asking this again but since I'm in Kitchener, Ontario so would I get the Pens and Flyers next saturday if I have Centre Ice?? Or would I get Kings and Blackhawks???

With Centre Ice I assume though that I'd get both games right???

As for the other 3 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN, would I hit blackouts for that here as well?? Whatabout those other 14 games on NHL Network US??? Or would I just get those on a random Centre Ice channel???

When I lived in Timmins and had CI through Bell, I had maybe a total of 3-4 games blacked out in the span of 5 years...only because I didn't have LeafsTV. So I'm not used to worrying about this blackout BS.

I want to call Rogers and order Centre Ice this week but since I'm worried about hitting a bunch of blackouts this season....now I don't know what to do.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Iggy Smalls

Pertaining mostly to GameCenter but CI as well:

Any game being played on NHLN or NBC/NBCSN is blacked-out, or is this only if you live in that area? IE: Since I live in DC the Caps game would be played on CSN rather than NBCSN? This seems like a simple concept but really confuses me.

Last edited by Iggy Smalls: 01-13-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Iggy Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
What little I've seen says four payments of $14.99.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:34 PM
BrookswasHere44

I was told $120 something the day after lockout was lifted. I did not order it, i will...but i want to see if that number changes

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:45 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

When I go to Directv to check out the pricing it says this...

NHL is BACK! It will be available for sale starting on Sat., January 19.
Package details are being finalized so check back soon to order online.

I'm guessing on saturday, during the free preview, the pricing will be released.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:51 PM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Pertaining mostly to GameCenter but CI as well:

Any game being played on NHLN or NBC/NBCSN is blacked-out, or is this only if you live in that area? IE: Since I live in DC the Caps game would be played on CSN rather than NBCSN? This seems like a simple concept but really confuses me.
I think you'll be blacked out as long as it is supposed to be on local, but don't quote me.

Personally I think there are so many rules sometimes you don't know til you kick the horse. For example I live 3+ hours away from Dallas. I get FOX Sports SW, but the Spurs have the local coverage first so if they're playing the same night as Dallas, Spurs > Stars. Apparently Center Ice and NHLN aren't exactly privy to this information though. I get all the Stars games on CI even though they say "blacked out", but if the Stars are on NHLN, no dice even if the Spurs are playing. Perfect sense...

As for CI, DirectTV on twitter is saying $60 (4 payments of $15), too bad I have Time Warner.

Finally I'm another one of those who will be getting LA on Saturday vs Penguins. I'm hoping NBC streams the Penguins game as they have in the past with regional coverage (which I despise), but I'm gonna guess the feeds may be a bit iffy.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
invictus

Get an HDMI out for your laptop to your TV.

the********.eu

Never miss a game.

invictus is online now   Reply With Quote