HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), players in the system, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
I think he was technically the 4th string goalie behind Sparks for Team USA, but do you think he might be able to make it as either starter or back up in the coming U20?

I mean, both Gibson and Sparks will be 20 before then. So Gillies vs Stolarz?

Old
01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think he was technically the 4th string goalie behind Sparks for Team USA, but do you think he might be able to make it as either starter or back up in the coming U20?

I mean, both Gibson and Sparks will be 20 before then. So Gillies vs Stolarz?
Gillies has a leg up. Collin Olson will also be in the running.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Gillies has a leg up. Collin Olson will also be in the running.
It all depends what Stolarz does with London. If he tears it up there, you can pretty much bet he'll be on the radar as a possible starter for the USA WJC team. Even if Stolarz doesn't make Team USA next year, he's going to end up with quality one on one time with London's goaltending coach. To me, that's more important than making the WJC.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
As it stands right now, Gillies is the favorite to win the job because he made the team last year, and outperformed Stolarz and Olson quite easily in college this year, despite playing in a more difficult conference. Gillies' numbers blow Stolarz and Olson's numbers out of the water. Another name to look out for is Thatcher Demko, BC recruit and the best 1995 goalie the USA has. I see it as a race between Gillies(favorite), and Stolarz/Demko to unseat him.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Thatcher Demko (BC Recruit) is also in the running.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:07 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Nick Cousins having a good year 2nd in league scoring putting up some nice numbers 17 G 49 A 66 Pts 17 +/- 48 pims in 44 gms.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Nick Cousins having a good year 2nd in league scoring putting up some nice numbers 17 G 49 A 66 Pts 17 +/- 48 pims in 44 gms.
I wonder what type of role he can have for us in the Future.

He will never be able to get a top 6 role for us simply because we will have too much talent, but could he be a 3rd liner? 3rd line winger?

Old
01-13-2013, 08:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

He will never be able to get a top 6 role for us simply because we will have too much talent, but could he be a 3rd liner? 3rd line winger?
Why limit him to that? If he's good enough, he's good enough. Besides Homer could trade everyone not named Giroux next year to get his hands on Weber.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

By the time he's ready to make the jump to the NHL things could change in the top 6. But even if they don't I think he and Laughton with a player like Simmonds on the other wing would be a nightmare to play against.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Why limit him to that? If he's good enough, he's good enough. Besides Homer could trade everyone not named Giroux next year to get his hands on Weber.
I wouldn't say limit him but going forward i dont see him beating out Hartnell, Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn or Read.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I think it was Bill M and others around here. I don't think the way Cousins offense is in juniors will move onto the pros. Like usually junior scorers who have one good trait (like really good at scoring or really good at passing) can become a good offensive threat in pros. For a player like Cousins though, his main attribute is agitating players. His offense isnt too bad, but I dont think his scoring or passing skills is elite enough to pass onto pros.

My opinion of course but I did read that from a few other people. (I think Bill M was one of them)

Old
01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I think if Cousins doesn't bust, he can be a 30-40 pt winger who annoys the hell out of opposing players and fans.

Would be wonderful.

Seriously, people in the OHL despise him haha.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think it was Bill M and others around here. I don't think the way Cousins offense is in juniors will move onto the pros. Like usually junior scorers who have one good trait (like really good at scoring or really good at passing) can become a good offensive threat in pros. For a player like Cousins though, his main attribute is agitating players. His offense isnt too bad, but I dont think his scoring or passing skills is elite enough to pass onto pros.

My opinion of course but I did read that from a few other people. (I think Bill M was one of them)
I haven't seen much of him this year, but last year Cousins did display some very good passing skills, vision and creativity. He's also got a scoring touch. He doesn't have blazing straightaway speed, but he's shifty and quick. I think he might be able to contribute some offense at the NHL level, if he makes it. He's an agitator, but it only works because he backs it up with point production. He's not a fighter at all, just a weasel (and I mean that in a good way - the other teams are always trying to kill him).

Old
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I think if Cousins doesn't bust, he can be a 30-40 pt winger who annoys the hell out of opposing players and fans.

Would be wonderful.

sounds like our future version of marchand.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Would be wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I haven't seen much of him this year, but last year Cousins did display some very good passing skills, vision and creativity. He's also got a scoring touch. He doesn't have blazing straightaway speed, but he's shifty and quick. I think he might be able to contribute some offense at the NHL level, if he makes it. He's an agitator, but it only works because he backs it up with point production. He's not a fighter at all, just a weasel (and I mean that in a good way - the other teams are always trying to kill him).
If he makes the NHL I do think 30-40 points will be his average range. I guess I was more quelling anyone thinking he might be a log guy since he is a 80+ guy in juniors (no one said that and he might be but I doubt it)

Side note Michael Parks has come back from an injury. He is playing on UND's second line. Has 2 goals in 3 games. He was out for awhile with a lower body injury.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Ryker

Quote:
My first thought was Ott, though

Old
01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
By the time he's ready to make the jump to the NHL things could change in the top 6. But even if they don't I think he and Laughton with a player like Simmonds on the other wing would be a nightmare to play against.
Oh my that line is fantastic to imagine.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Cousins-Laughton-Simmonds

The-Piss-You-The-****-Off Line.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I think Cousins will defo be an NHL player one day, even if he does not have the Offence to be a top two line player, he will surely be a third liner. I was, and to an extent still am, far more worried about Akeson making it to the NHL, as up until 6months ago he was the kind of player where if he was not on 2nd or 1st would not be ever in the NHL, but now he seems to have worked hard on his flaws and could be a 3rd liner in time if Offence does not continue to develop.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I think Cousins will defo be an NHL player one day, even if he does not have the Offence to be a top two line player, he will surely be a third liner. I was, and to an extent still am, far more worried about Akeson making it to the NHL, as up until 6months ago he was the kind of player where if he was not on 2nd or 1st would not be ever in the NHL, but now he seems to have worked hard on his flaws and could be a 3rd liner in time if Offence does not continue to develop.
Akeson probably won't be making it. He is getting passed over by Laughton and from the looks of it McGinn and possibly Noebels. Throw in Cousins soon, and there will not much room in the bottom six for him.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Minus the speed, but yes otherwise.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Minus the speed, but yes otherwise.
Bill, how do you think the whole you know what situation will affect his time with the organization? Let's say he get gets minimum punishment like probation or community service, or spends a very small amount of time in prison like Khabby did for his impaired driving.

Do you think he will be given less of a shot because of PR, or do you think the organization will avoid putting off ice conduct with on ice?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Akeson probably won't be making it. He is getting passed over by Laughton and from the looks of it McGinn and possibly Noebels. Throw in Cousins soon, and there will not much room in the bottom six for him.
I think most of those guys you listed are best suited for bottom 6 roles whereas Akeson is better suited for a top 6 spot with the right line-mates. A couple yrs down the line, who knows, we might see a Akeson-Couturier-Schenn 2nd line or something (they played well together on the Phantoms). to me if he can round out his game a bit more that line could have a nice mix of size, physicality/toughness and offensive flare. to me Akeson is a complimentary piece so to speak, he'll work best with the right line-mates. just a thought

Old
01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think most of those guys you listed are best suited for bottom 6 roles whereas Akeson is better suited for a top 6 spot with the right line-mates. A couple yrs down the line, who knows, we might see a Akeson-Couturier-Schenn 2nd line or something (they played well together on the Phantoms). to me if he can round out his game a bit more that line could have a nice mix of size, physicality/toughness and offensive flare. to me Akeson is a complimentary piece so to speak, he'll work best with the right line-mates. just a thought
You might be right but the Flyers top 6 is currently set for awhile. They might trade someone, but they might also sign someone like Corey Perry this offseason or trade for Bobby Ryan, who I think will be a Flyer at some point. Plus any forward taken in the 1st rd will bump him down. The longer he is in the AHL, the less likely he will make it as a top 6 forward.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Bill, how do you think the whole you know what situation will affect his time with the organization? Let's say he get gets minimum punishment like probation or community service, or spends a very small amount of time in prison like Khabby did for his impaired driving.

Do you think he will be given less of a shot because of PR, or do you think the organization will avoid putting off ice conduct with on ice?
Zolnierczyk did something stupid when he was young too (check out his wikipedia page for the info). Mind you, it was before he was in the organization, but they seemed to have kept it off the ice

Closed Thread