HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
bcjonny

vCash: 500
Another point to consider is once the season starts and 1 to 10 of the leagues teams start to suck and fail to meet the expectations how do you think the trade will happen...

I would say that the salaries and cap hits would have to equal out and the team that is under performing will have to trade one or two of their even more high profile players to achieve this. Now why would the Canucks take on these underachievers... Top prospects and Draft pickS would be the incentive.

It's a race to the finish line and if you stop to gaze at your navel for more than a minute you will be left in the dust.

Luongo can make the difference for a team on the bubble making the playoffs or not. And if he goes to a team in the East he makes it just that much more difficult for another team in the East to make the playoffs for the next 5 to 7 years.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:03 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Big difference, that was 6 years ago, Luongo was only 27-28. Luongo isn't the same anymore, still good but not good enough to carry this team to anything substantial, let alone a division title like he did with the Canucks that year. Plus, you guys still had the Sedins and Kesler on the roster. Obviously, they were only fractions of the players they are now back then, but they developed nicely. We lack the same level of prospects up front. Canucks were set for centre, we have no one and trading away Kadri and Bozak only makes that worse.

Luongo is not a viable option for this team unless we get him cheap, and that obviously isn't going to happen.
You obviously didn't watch the Canucks much last season. Team was brutal for a 3 month span where Luongo and Schneider were both brilliant...

EDIT: Note: Jan 1st - Apr 1st

Schneider: 11-2-1, 1.86 GAA
Luongo: 14-6-6, 2.38 GAA

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 01-13-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
No, but the bottomline is the bottomline. That's why Burke was canned and that's how public companies operate. Four years is enough time to show improvement. He didn't and he's gone. It's insulting to the fans' intelligence to try to say it's because of his personality.
I think you all are getting confused ... he did show improvement from a shareholder perspective, the company went from a valuation of around $500 mil to over $1 billion. Their dividends have never been higher than under the Burke regime, it's only the on ice product that's still faltering. Yes there are playoff revenues they could have their eyes on but you pick a general manager (in any business) to improve operational efficiencies and increase the bottom line. In this area Burke has been an unquestionable success.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:08 PM
miked1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
you really think they are going to split 50/50... I doubt it. They will prolley run with one goalie throughout the playoffs

try making some sense...
Makes about as much sense as what you said. Why should Gillis take whatever he can get (especially if it's anything like the trash being talked about on here)? Trading him isn't the only option, especially when it doesn't help our team.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:12 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked1101 View Post
Makes about as much sense as what you said. Why should Gillis take whatever he can get (especially if it's anything like the trash being talked about on here)? Trading him isn't the only option, especially when it doesn't help our team.
so your telling me kessel's value dropped last year because we never made the playoffs? Rick Nash's value dropped because he was on the last place team?? DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU

Old
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
either way one goalie's value is dropping.. unless they both snap
Whatever you say. If the choice is getting some value out of keeping both goalies rather than trading one for a return that does nothing for us, the choice is obvious.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
I think you and I both know that you would insert Kulemin on the 1st line with the Sedin's and he would light it up.
That would be great if it happened but I see him as a 2nd liner prolly.

I think we both know its a fair trade and it addresses both teams needs. Get on board Doug! Don't you know? A good compromise leaves everyone unhappy!

Old
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Whatever you say. If the choice is getting some value out of keeping both goalies rather than trading one for a return that does nothing for us, the choice is obvious.
If a trade does not happen it will 150% in the summer, with van pretty much getting the same thing they were to get now

Old
01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Gillis should take w.e he gets now, lou's value will just keep dropping, sitting on the bench and getting older
Based on some of the offers seen in this thread his value couldnt get any lower.

Like gillis is going to worry about whether that 3rd round pick and Matt Frattin are suddenly a 4th and jesse Blacker next year.

Old
miked1101

Quote:
so your telling me kessel's value dropped last year because we never made the playoffs? Rick Nash's value dropped because he was on the last place team?? DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU
I was mocking what you said (I structured my sentence to be similar to yours).

He is only getting older though.
Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd round pick for Kessel?

Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Gillis should take w.e he gets now, lou's value will just keep dropping, sitting on the bench and getting older
Thankfully Gillis isn't a Leafs fan, so he wont be trading Luongo for garbage.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Jake Gardiner and Kadri is the absolute minimum, either trade him for that package or keep him. If Gillis agrees to trade Luongo for Bozak or Asthon, or Frattin as centerpiece, he needs to be fired.
And I want world peace...but it doesn't mean I am going to get it.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:18 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
I was mocking what you said (I structured my sentence to be similar to yours).

He is only getting older though.
Raymond, Ballard, and a 2nd round pick for Kessel?
mine had some truth to it... you just posted irrelevance

yea cause kessel = lou :

Old
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Thankfully Gillis isn't a Leafs fan, so he wont be trading Luongo for garbage.
ok and good luck finding a suitor next summer when the cap lowers. Honestly it seems Canuck fans just ignore the contract all together, it does come into play. How many teams are going to want a 34 year old goalie with 9 years left on his contract with the cap lowering what? 6 million bucks next season. Good luck. You won't trade him for garbage but you're also not getting this massive haul of prospects and roster players that you guys seem to think you deserve.

Old
rune74

Quote:

yea cause kessel = lou :
You keep screaming at the top of your lungs that you know what will happen...yes, that is the truth hahaha

Old
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:

yea cause kessel = lou :
No it didn't, it's all bias on both sides.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
miked1101

Quote:
Not really.

You said:

Quote:
and are now contradicting yourself with:

Quote:
If a trade does not happen it will 150% in the summer, with van pretty much getting the same thing they were to get now
Why should Gillis trade now, getting a bunch of pieces that don't help our team, instead of keeping Luongo on and have a great goalie tandem?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:22 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
ok and good luck finding a suitor next summer when the cap lowers. Honestly it seems Canuck fans just ignore the contract all together, it does come into play. How many teams are going to want a 34 year old goalie with 9 years left on his contract with the cap lowering what? 6 million bucks next season. Good luck. You won't trade him for garbage but you're also not getting this massive haul of prospects and roster players that you guys seem to think you deserve.
My god I hope he goes any where but toronto.... I don't think you guys deserve him. It would be awesome if he went east and was partially responsible for you guys missing the playoffs.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:22 PM
GardinerExpressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
So...I can't be facetious, but your side can be? Awesome, and Leafs wonder why no one wants a rumour about their player to Toronto to slip out...
I am happy to agree that there is "smugness" or whatever on both sides of this thread (and all of it bothers me), but you sir have been the heart of it through many pages now. This post and the one above where you trotting out this passive aggressive drivel is the pinnacle of hypocrisy so stop lumping yourself with "all canucks fans" against "all leaf fans" because your behaviour isn't indicative of either group generally and is instead that of a lone provocateur, inflaming those on the other side for fun, and lowering the level of discourse. /rant

Old
01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Wildcarder

Not advocating either way on whether or not Toronto should trade for Luongo, but I thought it'd be interesting to point out some stats, especially for those who think Luongo is done as a prime starting goaltender.

Here are Luongo's stats over the last 5 years.

Luongo
11-12: 55gp / 2.41 / .919
10-11: 60gp / 2.11 / .928
09-10: 68gp / 2.57 / .913
08-09: 54gp / 2.34 / .920
07-08: 73gp / 2.38 / .917

In that same time period, here are the stats for the Leaf's goalies.

Leafs' Goalies
Reimer (11-12): 34gp / 3.10 / .900
Gustavsson (11-12): 42gp / 2.92 / .902
Reimer (10-11): 37gp / 2.60 / .921
Giguere (10-11): 33gp / 2.87 / .900
Gustavsson (09-10): 42gp / 2.87 / .902
Toskala (09-10): 26gp / 3.66 / .874
Toskala (08-09): 53gp / 3.26 / .891
Toskala (07-08): 66gp / 2.74 / .904

Only Reimer's season in 10-11 even comes close to Luongo's stats last year (as a split starter with Giguere). To find a season by a Leaf goaltender that was better than what Luongo did last year you have to go back to pre-lockout and see Belfour's season. Coincidentally that season was the last time the Leafs made the post season.

*Belfour (03-04): 59gp / 2.13 / .918 (last time the Leafs made the playoffs)

Obviously there were a lot of different factors besides goaltending stats in making the playoffs, but it's still interesting to look at.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardinerExpressway View Post
I am happy to agree that there is "smugness" or whatever on both sides of this thread (and all of it bothers me), but you sir have been the heart of it through many pages now. This post and the one above where you trotting out this passive aggressive drivel is the pinnacle of hypocrisy so stop lumping yourself with "all canucks fans" against "all leaf fans" because your behaviour isn't indicative of either group generally and is instead that of a lone provocateur, inflaming those on the other side for fun, and lowering the level of discourse. /rant
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

Old
01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Quote:
Not really.

You said:

and are now contradicting yourself with:

Why should Gillis trade now, getting a bunch of pieces that don't help our team, instead of keeping Luongo on and have a great goalie tandem?
from what i thought lou will be riding the bench.. now i hear he is playing 50/50.

either way gillis is never going to get what he wants

Old
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
rune74

Quote:
from what i thought lou will be riding the bench.. now i hear he is playing 50/50.

either way gillis is never going to get what he wants
Maybe/maybe not...you just don't know and neither do I.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
But that's all that seems to be offered for him on these boards. The Leafs and Canucks will not be able to trade because they just don't make good trading partners.

I believe that Gillis will hold onto him until a team with a bit better prospect pool runs into goaltending problems.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

While the Luongo offers from Leaf fans on here are bad... it's NOTHING compared to some of the craziness out there.

Have seen people say Komisarek + Lombardi and a 2nd is too much... o_O

At that point just keep Luongo.

30 + win goalies that average .920 save% spanning years are not that easy to get a hold of, bad contract or no.

Turn and flip him to Florida for a couple of their lower ranked prospects... maybe a Shore or d prospect + Matthias.

Closed Thread