HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fighting to increase dramatically this year?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Fighting to increase dramatically this year?

A week ago Bobby Mac was mentioning about how during the last lockout-shortened season there was a significant increase in fighting.

I have a few theories on why this would be, but they are not important to the overall point of the thread: are we ready to rumble this year?

Rumours that Toronto are claiming MacIntyre... to go along with John Scott already in the division.
These are guys that are insanely big and tough and will be too much for Thornton or McQuaid to handle if he has to drop with them repeatedly.

Obviously they would be looking for those monsters to take on Chara and Lucic and I see either of our guys taking the bait (see: Lucic/Rosehill) --or being severely neutered when they have to back down to them.

We don't want Horton fighting at all.
McQuaid is a light heavy with a concussion history.
Lucic's nose is big enough, shouldn't be going with 4th liners.
Chara --> #1 Dman with fused finger...
Thornton --> Too old, small to be taking Scott or Steve Mac on regularly IMO.

I don't think we are ready, as a team, for a significant increase in fighting this year. MacDermid can be a useful 4th liner but has not developed into a top fighter in the AHL.

I know the easy answer is to say that we should just duck those guys and make em 'useless' but the B's swagger depends on intimidating the other team. Thornton running from MacIntyre doesn't quite achieve that effect.

Not trying to start a big debate on fighting here; lets just assume that fighting will increase again this season and debate wether or not we are ready for it. Thoughts?

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Lobster57
aestimandis aeternum

If those teams want to play those guys significant minutes, that's fine with me. If Scott goes after Chara or Lucic i say it's fair game for McQuaid to go after Vanek.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:46 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
one of the more interesting comments i read about fighting and intimidation was from the (admittedly biased) perspective of ken dryden, esq, praise be unto him

he pointed out how robinson operated as a defenseman: his punishing hits were followed by fights, but as he aged the fighting completely dropped off; the hitting did to some extent as well, but he was able to more or less skate by on his image at that point

to make a more modern parallel, all the bruins need is for lucic to put carlo through the glass and the fighting is immaterial

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
northeastern

I don't think this is something the team is worried about. As we saw when the habs shadowed lucic with BGL the bruins changed nothing. I expect this again.

The bruins are a big team. If teams want to start a brawl I don't see this roster backing down.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
the original treatise of the thread goes something like this:

previous post lockout hockey yielded more fighting; therefore teams with more fighting majors should have been better teams

there's a slightly negative correlation between points and majors from 2005-2006; more importantly, the r value is tiiiiiny

we're worried about something that has no statistical basis

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

If fighting increases it only helps us. Bring it on.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
bomber22

Thornton can handle both Big Mac and Scott. Thornton wanted Scott last year in Chicago and Scott didn't even want to fight him. Remember Thornton held his own against Boogauurd. He can fight in tight with Big Mac and that is too his advantage. He is smart and knows his job.

I hope their is more fighting and passion in the games this year. Bruins always play better in physical tough games. They are made for it.

bomber22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Dtb1381

The above post says it all, but chara and lucic will have to fight 8-10 times (combined) which I don't want to see, Thornton is screwed he's going to be overmatched and I see him being totally knocked out at least once this year if Mac Scott etc. are dressed against us but even if they get 5 for fighting pound for pound no team can match us and it will be a sad mistake for most teams so we should invite physical games its our bread and butter

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Exactly! Bruins always play better when they play pissed off.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtb1381 View Post
The above post says it all, but chara and lucic will have to fight 8-10 times (combined) which I don't want to see, Thornton is screwed he's going to be overmatched and I see him being totally knocked out at least once this year if Mac Scott etc. are dressed against us but even if they get 5 for fighting pound for pound no team can match us and it will be a sad mistake for most teams so we should invite physical games its our bread and butter
Er, what?

The only thing I could understand out of all that was an assertion that Sean Thornton will be severely concussed, which AFAIK has never happened.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
ObjectiveOpinion

I don't really understand the basis for this argument. You're saying that Buffalo got Scott and Toronto (rumored) got MacIntyre because they want to shadow Lucic and Chara every game? I doubt it. If Buffalo even plays John Scott in our first game against them I'll be very surprised. He's there in the case that things get out of hand again, they can call him out of the press box for the next game.

ObjectiveOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM
bruins repeat time

I will be stunned if Scott doesnt play against boston. I assume as well its going to end up Thornton taking the fight. Considering very few guys dont get badly beaten by scott-I am worried. Id be happy if he loses but doesnt get killed like say janssens did against him. However watching England get destroyed by him is flat out scary. Mcintyre is pretty scary as well but again if Thorton could avoid getting badly beaten would be a victory. Man do I have respect for Shawn Thorntons job.

bruins repeat time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:22 AM
westernhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Exactly! Bruins always play better when they play pissed off.
agreed, op is so pessimistic, our guys can handle any lineup Toronto or Buffalo or anyone wants to throw at us, and the more fighting the better

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
westernhome

interesting conversation in the fighting section of this board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1317111

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:28 AM
RussellmaniaKW

here's the thing about Thornton...he's not afraid to fight anyway. He'll get his ass handed to him if it means someone else on the team doesn't have to and that's all you really need from him in the fighting department. With that said I think he can handle himself against just about anyone in the league.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:52 AM
JMiller

Seems like every year there is a new guy that will be too big and tough for Thornton to handle and every year he takes care of business. Laraque, Orr, Boogaard, now Scott. It will be a good season to watch.

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:39 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
If those teams want to play those guys significant minutes, that's fine with me. If Scott goes after Chara or Lucic i say it's fair game for McQuaid to go after Vanek.
??

Scott going after a guy like Seguin would seem to be the green light to go after a Vanek, Scott going after Looch/Chara is, well, a far more even tilt I would think

Truth is, the B`s don`t owe Scott or the Sabres jack all. If they are still PO`d about the Miller "hit" last year they need to get over it. Kaleta/Gaustad (can`t recall only one coffee in) didn`t respond when the hit happened, next game Looch did what he was "expected" to do, embarassed the Sabre, case closed.

How a pilon like Scott is even employed is beyond me. If the Sabres still believe that incident requires a response, well, that would be a win for the B`s.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:17 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Agree here. Thornton and Lucic can handle practically anyone who would be foolish enough to challenge them. There is no problem there in this regard. McQuaid will be alright but I'd prefer to not see him challenge the heavyweights.

I'm still not convinced that Chara is a "fighter"; he is a big man who can take care of himself. That's about it.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:34 AM
Fire Julien

The Bruins need to pick up a couple of fighters as an insurance policy. PL3 is still available, and I'd rather have him when playing Toronto, Buffalo, Philly, the Islanders than Bourque/Caron who can play the soft teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Ottawa, just dress a few goons when needed.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:34 AM
MVP36

There is no doubt IMO that the Sabres grabbed Scott and Ott with us specifically in mind. They were flat out embarrassed last year after the Miller game.

That being said, giving up a skilled center like Roy to Dallas (a team going in the complete opposite direction) is a big mistake as I think they've only made themselves less of a contender.

Also, Thornton suddenly can't fight now that he's a year older? Not sure about that.

MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Maybe we'll see Bergy drop someone again? I want to see Seguin drop em this year.

I may be in the minority but I'm not worried if Horton fights.

Oh and if Scott goes near anyone not named Thornton, Lucic or Chara he's not going to like what happens.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Fenian24

Would like to see MacDermid stick on 4th line or as extra forward. No real word on when to expect McQuaid back either.

As far as more fighting goes I'm all for it. Also I said this when Neely stopped fighting, I like to see guys like Neely, Lucic fight every so often to keep defensemen off guard, if a defenseman gives you a whack and you turn and go with him he may give you a bit more room later on. Somebody like Looch can use a little extra time that intimidation can give him. Also Lucic seems more engaged in a game that he fights in then one where a team lets him "sleep".

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMVP77 View Post
There is no doubt IMO that the Sabres grabbed Scott and Ott with us specifically in mind. They were flat out embarrassed last year after the Miller game.
Matt Barnaby was on XM radio last week and half joked saying that he knew Scott would at least play all of the games against the Bruins if nothing else.

Mentioned how Buffalo's season went downhill after Lucic hit on Miller and team wasn't happy about it and made changes with Boston in mind this off season.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
The Bruins need to pick up a couple of fighters as an insurance policy. PL3 is still available, and I'd rather have him when playing Toronto, Buffalo, Philly, the Islanders than Bourque/Caron who can play the soft teams like Tampa, Pittsburgh, Montreal and Ottawa, just dress a few goons when needed.
Right, because God knows the Bruins don't have enough guys who can fight.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Would like to see MacDermid stick on 4th line or as extra forward. No real word on when to expect McQuaid back either.

As far as more fighting goes I'm all for it. Also I said this when Neely stopped fighting, I like to see guys like Neely, Lucic fight every so often to keep defensemen off guard, if a defenseman gives you a whack and you turn and go with him he may give you a bit more room later on. Somebody like Looch can use a little extra time that intimidation can give him. Also Lucic seems more engaged in a game that he fights in then one where a team lets him "sleep".
Chiarelli said yesterday that McQuaid is ready to play (sorry can't link, on my phone).