HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CAR/LAK] Kevin Westgarth for Anthony Stewart, 4th pick, 6th pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 09:20 PM
  #176
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
For the most part people don't care about Stewart, they just think its stupid to punt picks for a guy that is not and never will be an NHL calibre player. You can find those guys for free.
this. stewart is nothing special but they could have claimed steve mac or something for free. Or even traded a seventh or something for colton orr

Mansfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
  #177
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
this. stewart is nothing special but they could have claimed steve mac or something for free. Or even traded a seventh or something for colton orr
Neither of those guys chose to spend the lockout practicing in Raleigh, establishing ties to the organization and future teammates, and making it clear how much he would like to move here full-time with his Raleigh-native wife.

To go through this one more time:

- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick to TAKE Stewart, thus clearing a roster spot and salary which were both pure deadweight as it was.
- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick for Westgarth, who they specifically wanted for more than hockey reasons, but who also fills a role we needed filled.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM
  #178
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,435
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Westgarth is a punching bag. He's a heavyweight that can hang with middleweights.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
  #179
MichaelProcton
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: High Point, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Neither of those guys chose to spend the lockout practicing in Raleigh, establishing ties to the organization and future teammates, and making it clear how much he would like to move here full-time with his Raleigh-native wife.

To go through this one more time:

- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick to TAKE Stewart, thus clearing a roster spot and salary which were both pure deadweight as it was.
- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick for Westgarth, who they specifically wanted for more than hockey reasons, but who also fills a role we needed filled.
So they gave up a draft pick because he lives in Raleigh and made friends with some of the current players over the long summer? Seems like a dumb move.

MichaelProcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:51 PM
  #180
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelProcton View Post
So they gave up a draft pick because he lives in Raleigh and made friends with some of the current players over the long summer? Seems like a dumb move.
It's the way we operate, for better or for worse. Look at how many players have resigned here at a pretty significant home town discount. There's something to be said for that, as we just can't afford to splash out for those guys at open market prices.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
  #181
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelProcton View Post
So they gave up a draft pick because he lives in Raleigh and made friends with some of the current players over the long summer? Seems like a dumb move.
The guy is an enforcer. Is it really THAT dumb to pay a marginally higher price for one who fits your organization instead of a going to UFA for a random one who will be gone next year?

I think the point has been made that the hockey value was one-sided here. But there are other factors involved that you can either ignore or acknowledge, your choice.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
  #182
CaptainCally
Registered User
 
CaptainCally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 500
Why did Carolina add two picks? You trade for a goon (punching bag IMO) and you added two picks AND a player for him... what the hell? Am I the only one who thinks that it was on overpayment? Stewart should've been enough. 7th tops, not a 6th and a 4th rounder for Westgarth... bad trade.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
  #183
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Why did Carolina add two picks? You trade for a goon (punching bag IMO) and you added two picks AND a player for him... what the hell? Am I the only one who thinks that it was on overpayment? Stewart should've been enough. 7th tops, not a 6th and a 4th rounder for Westgarth... bad trade.
*sigh*

This:

"- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick to TAKE Stewart, thus clearing a roster spot and salary which were both pure deadweight as it was.
- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick for Westgarth, who they specifically wanted for more than hockey reasons, but who also fills a role we needed filled."

Was five posts above yours.

Stewart-for-Westgarth would not have happened. That's a stupid trade for the Kings, who will almost certainly waive Stewart soon. The point of the picks was to facilitate Stewart's release and THEN allow for Westgarth to be dealt.

I don't think some people here realize just how useless Stewart was for us. He wasn't just bad, he was blocking us from making other roster moves. He had cleared waivers already. At some point you have to pay a team just to get him out the door.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
  #184
CaptainCally
Registered User
 
CaptainCally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
*sigh*

This:

"- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick to TAKE Stewart, thus clearing a roster spot and salary which were both pure deadweight as it was.
- Hurricanes gave the Kings a pick for Westgarth, who they specifically wanted for more than hockey reasons, but who also fills a role we needed filled."

Was five posts above yours.

Stewart-for-Westgarth would not have happened. That's a stupid trade for the Kings, who will almost certainly waive Stewart soon. The point of the picks was to facilitate Stewart's release and THEN allow for Westgarth to be dealt.

I don't think some people here realize just how useless Stewart was for us. He wasn't just bad, he was blocking us from making other roster moves. He had cleared waivers already. At some point you have to pay a team just to get him out the door.


Yeah sorry about that. It's 06.24 AM over here. Kinda tired so I skimmed through the previous replies.

that sucks. Well we could've taken him from you. You just had to take Redden back as a part of the deal .

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:58 AM
  #185
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Westgarth is a good dude. I hope he finds a spot with the Canes and gets to actually play.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:40 AM
  #186
SFKingshomer
Registered User
 
SFKingshomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 500
Happy with the picks for a guy who wasn't going to play for us. Westgarth is a great guy and I'll miss him clapping after every fight. I won't miss him taking stupid penalties 2 steps behind the play.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.