Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyhaze View Post
Shinkaruk>Domi>Monahan imo.
Hunter would be my ideal choice if we're picking around 10 and hes still there. If we pick around 15, Mantha or Pulock would be nice .
Interesting to see someone put Domi over Monahan. I don't think I've seen than. Can you elaborate? You must really like Domi as Monahan has pretty much been consistent in the top 5 or so all year.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Shinkaruk>Domi>Monahan imo.
Hunter would be my ideal choice if we're picking around 10 and hes still there. If we pick around 15, Mantha or Pulock would be nice .
Firstly, welcome to HF!

Secondly, what about Monahan has soured you? Or what about the other two make them leapfrog him?

As much as I talked about Shinkaruk and Domi, I still think Monahan is all around better.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
JetsHomer

The thing that makes me weary about Domi is he has type two, diabetes andd another illness that I cant recall that causes fatigue. I think he'll drop to lower in the first because he is a slightly riskier pick with his health.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Libertyhaze

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Interesting to see someone put Domi over Monahan. I don't think I've seen than. Can you elaborate? You must really like Domi as Monahan has pretty much been consistent in the top 5 or so all year.
Actually it's more like I really don't like Monahan, but I didn't wanna say that in my first post and come off like a hater, but thats out of the bag now . I just don't believe the hype around this kid, and I think his stock will fall at the draft. The 67's are dead last in the OHL, and its really easy to look good on a ****** team

Old
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Actually it's more like I really don't like Monahan, but I didn't wanna say that in my first post and come off like a hater, but thats out of the bag now . I just don't believe the hype around this kid, and I think his stock will fall at the draft. The 67's are dead last in the OHL, and its really easy to look good on a ****** team
I'd actually disagree with that. Its harder to look good with **** linemates/playing on a awful pp ect.

That said I've only seen Monohan play once this year, and it wasn't even with Ottawa so I'm definitely not a Monohan expert

Old
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
If we end up with the 10th overall pick, would this be a year where we offer one of our 2nd round picks + our 1st round pick to move up 3 positions if there's a player we really like?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
If we end up with the 10th overall pick, would this be a year where we offer one of our 2nd round picks + our 1st round pick to move up 3 positions if there's a player we really like?
Any year you can do this is good. It likely won't happen though. Last year the Islanders offered ALL their draft picks to move up two spots. Columbus turned it down.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
The thing that makes me weary about Domi is he has type two, diabetes andd another illness that I cant recall that causes fatigue. I think he'll drop to lower in the first because he is a slightly riskier pick with his health.
Max Domi has Type I Diabetes (aka Juvenile Diabetes, where he doesn't make his own insulin so he has to take it from a needle or pump). Type II Diabetes is the kind that you can get from overeating/inactivity - pretty sure no high level hockey player is going to have that (well, maybe after they retire from hockey). Bobby Clarke is probably the most famous NHL'er who played with Type I Diabetes.

Hadn't heard about Domi having another disease - mononucleosis maybe? That always seems to hit a few junior players every year. You fully recover from mono, though.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Max Domi has Type I Diabetes (aka Juvenile Diabetes, where he doesn't make his own insulin so he has to take it from a needle or pump). Type II Diabetes is the kind that you can get from overeating/inactivity - pretty sure no high level hockey player is going to have that (well, maybe after they retire from hockey). Bobby Clarke is probably the most famous NHL'er who play.
Between his size and his diabetes, Domi is a HUGE risk to take as a top 15 draft pick. I admire his skill and determination, but Monahan is way ahead of him in terms of risk/reward, IMO.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Domi is definitely a player I want the Jets to stay away from. Besides looking very inconsistent with his play, he also suffers from 2 fairly significant medical issues, type 1 diabetes and celiacs disease. To me those are major red flags, even with the type of medical and dietary solutions current medicine has available to suffers.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...domi_diabetes/
Quote:
Max Domi has Type I Diabetes (aka Juvenile Diabetes, where he doesn't make his own insulin so he has to take it from a needle or pump). Type II Diabetes is the kind that you can get from overeating/inactivity - pretty sure no high level hockey player is going to have that (well, maybe after they retire from hockey). Bobby Clarke is probably the most famous NHL'er who played with Type I Diabetes.

Hadn't heard about Domi having another disease - mononucleosis maybe? That always seems to hit a few junior players every year. You fully recover from mono, though.
He also has celiacs.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Any year you can do this is good. It likely won't happen though. Last year the Islanders offered ALL their draft picks to move up two spots. Columbus turned it down.
Yeah, but going from 4th to 1st is a much bigger talent jump than 10th to 7th.

Buffalo moved a 2nd round pick to go from 21st to 14th.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:

The only danger with Diabetes I is that if you forget to get it from a needle, you can pass away and die.

Sounds a bit misplaced?

A couple of months ago, a german bundesliga player crashed badly with his car after passing out because of it. He was in a coma for about a month and was very lucky to survive it.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Sweech
COYS!

While those are legitimate concerns. It's a little better that he comes from an athletic family where diet and discipline are taught and followed. I would love to see us snag him if he dropped because of those concerns however.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
The only danger with Diabetes I is that if you forget to get it from a needle, you can pass away and die.

Sounds a bit misplaced?

A couple of months ago, a german bundesliga player crashed badly with his car after passing out because of it. He was in a coma for about a month and was very lucky to survive it.
There are many, many health challenges with Type 1 Diabetes in the high-level athlete and celiac disease could compound the problem, as it can affect what you can eat/absorb from your GI tract. This is obviously not the place to discuss this in detail.
I am amazed that Bobby Clarke was able to function at such a high level, for so long, so many years ago. It goes to show that some people can manage it...but there are risks there, for sure.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Huffer

Obviously not knowing where the Jets are going to be drafting, but if the Jets are in an "appropriate position" (where people see his proper value), what are people's thoughts on Rasmus Ristolainen?

I'd imagine that most people are hoping for a forward, but just wondering what people's thoughts are on this guy. He's big (close to 6'4" and over 200lbs at 18), can hit and skate, and has been playing in a mens league in Finland.

Bogosian, Trouba, and RR seems like a pretty big, tough, and mobile defense to build around.

My holiday's were pretty crazy and I didn't get to watch Finland or Sweden at the World Juniors (besides the final). What are others thoughts?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642999
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-D...us-Ristolainen

Old
01-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Obviously not knowing where the Jets are going to be drafting, but if the Jets are in an "appropriate position" (where people see his proper value), what are people's thoughts on Rasmus Ristolainen?

I'd imagine that most people are hoping for a forward, but just wondering what people's thoughts are on this guy. He's big (close to 6'4" and over 200lbs at 18), can hit and skate, and has been playing in a mens league in Finland.

Bogosian, Trouba, and RR seems like a pretty big, tough, and mobile defense to build around.

My holiday's were pretty crazy and I didn't get to watch Finland or Sweden at the World Juniors (besides the final). What are others thoughts?

He's a late birthday that has played two yrs now in a mens league in Finland. Big, good skater, i wouldn't call him a big hitter or overly physical, but he will take the body - sort of like Pulock.

Don't think his offensive game has a very high ceiling at all, will likely be a shut down RH dman who will play but have limited upside, imo. Paired up with more offensive guy, i think he would be fine.

Don't think the Jets have much interest in him. He'll likely go in the 8 to 12 range, and i would think Pulock would have more interest to the Jets if he was there as well. Pulock's hockey IQ is very high, which would likely tip the scales in his direction, not to mention he's a good character Manitoba kid.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Bob E

Watched some TSN Top 10 highlights of Giroux, and Nate MacKinnon reminds me a lot of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss3F7odDwo

Some team is going to love having MacKinnon in a few years.

Edit: And MacKinnon is likely a more explosive skater than Giroux, and if paired with a shooter, may put up 90+ pts like Giroux did last year.

Last edited by Bob E: 01-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately actually. I would definitely be in favor of drafting RR perhaps more so than Pulock who I admit I haven't seen much of (just going from what I have heard).

Another defenseman I would not be disappointed in nabbing is Robert Hagg. His skating and poise with the puck reminds me of OEL. Not saying he will be as good, but just from what I've seen, he seems like a very talented defenseman who is fluid, smart and does not panic with the puck.

I know the majority seem to be leaning towards drafting a forward which is probably the higher priority, but landing either one of these defensemen would be sweet. As for forwards in the 12 - 20 range, I am hoping for someone like Erne, Mantha or Fasching.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately actually. I would definitely be in favor of drafting RR perhaps more so than Pulock who I admit I haven't seen much of (just going from what I have heard).

Another defenseman I would not be disappointed in nabbing is Robert Hagg. His skating and poise with the puck reminds me of OEL. Not saying he will be as good, but just from what I've seen, he seems like a very talented defenseman who is fluid, smart and does not panic with the puck.

I know the majority seem to be leaning towards drafting a forward which is probably the higher priority, but landing either one of these defensemen would be sweet. As for forwards in the 12 - 20 range, I am hoping for someone like Erne, Mantha or Fasching.
I think Fasching goes very late 1st or in the 2nd. Scouts are really torn on him, shows a lot of promise and good tools, he's just very inconsistent in his play. I'd love to get him, he seems like a TNSE type of kid.

I'd be very happy to land Erne and Mantha could develop well, but there's some things about his play that concern me.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Hansen Brother

I asked this in the prospects thread but it would likely be better here. I would love to get a tough to play against, LHD to pair with Trouba at some point. I suggested Nurse, although I was told Zadorov be better.

I don't know much about either of them so if someone can provide their opinion I'd love to hear it.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I asked this in the prospects thread but it would likely be better here. I would love to get a tough to play against, LHD to pair with Trouba at some point. I suggested Nurse, although I was told Zadorov be better.

I don't know much about either of them so if someone can provide their opinion I'd love to hear it.
I have Zadorov way higher than Nurse. I was just explaining why I'm not as high on Nurse in another thread. Here's what I had to say:

Quote:
I'm not super down on him, I just don't think I'm as high on him as others. I don't really take the teams' play into consideration. I just see him as a low first/high second pick. He's a safe pick to me, I haven't seen enough projectable tools from him that suggest he'll develop anything dynamic and will likely be a lower pairing D in my mind. I think he has a solid chanced of making it, I just don't see the upside.
I really, really, really like Zadorov. He's a little more difficult to project only because he's an absolute man-child. He can easily handle pretty much any junior level forward already. So while I think it's harder to project a players future when they're already so much more physically developed than their peers, it's his other intangibles that I really like. Firstly his skating is extremely good for someone his size. His ability to skate backwards is already very well developed. Another important factor is that he uses his size very well, this is the big difference between a guy like Zadorov or a player like Reinhart. I was not high on Reinhart last year and I'd take Zadorov over him already.

They're both defensive defenseman types with limited offensive potential, but I see Zadorov as a high end defenseman, while Nurse projects to me as a lower end one. Both of them do have the potential to add some offensive tools, I just don't think it will ever be a large factor in either of their games at the next level.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Huffer

So Sweech, how would you rank the D talked about in the last few posts?

RR, Hagg, Nurse, Zadorov and Pulock? (Not a ranking, just naming them )

I know they have different styles but where do you see these guys going in the draft, and who would you compare these guys to?

Old
01-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Haven't seen enough of RR or Hagg to comment. I'll be watching more European stuff very soon. RR impressed me in the WJC's.

With the other three I'd say: 1. Pulock 2. Zadorov 3. Nurse.

Which I think is fairly standard.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Huffer

Thanks.

I know it's impossible to predict, but where do you think these guys go?

Also, although we always want the guy with the highest potential, who do you see as better fits for the Jets?

Zadorov, Nurse, RR, and Hagg all seem to have the size that TNSE likes. Pulock isn't small per se (6'0") but the other three are all around 6'3" and up I think.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Frédérik Gauthier.

Holy Bajeezus, I want this kid on the Jets. He's rated in the 2nd half of the 1st round too. Smart player, I think he has underrated upside offensively. Already big and already has a good defensive game. I like the way he chooses to attack opposing players.

Was just watching some recorded games and am I ever hoping we could break the non-QMJHL streak for this kid.

Last edited by Sweech: 01-14-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Mistake pointed out.
Closed Thread