HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Capitano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him is missing a few key points. Most important is ontological security- the security provided by the sense of self-identity. Gomez, for presumably most of his life, has both defined himself and been defined by others as being very, very good at hockey. His whole sense of self has been built into that identity. And that identity is now being taken from him, quite publicly. Anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how awful it can be to be fired, whatever the reason.

Secondly, anyone who doesn't feel bad for him doesn't know how good it feels to play hockey at the highest competitive level. I don't either, but considering how much I enjoyed the challenges of junior hockey and whatnot, I can't imagine enjoying being forced not to play against my will, for circumstances largely beyond my control.
I feel bad for him for sure, but this notion of it being 'largely beyond' his 'control' is kind of funny to me. If he was even a shadow of his former self he would still be a hab. But he wasn't.

In reality the results always have to be there, no matter the job you have. In reality he had plenty of control of the situation.

Last edited by Capitano: 01-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
?????

Go look at the original Gomez trade thread. You didn't need a crystal ball to know that including McD was a mind blowingly stupid move. Some of us knew that adding him into this albatross of a mess was horrific.

Please don't come here now and try to say that we didn't know that this was freaking horrible because we did. And now McD will spend the next decade or two proving us right. Dumb, dumb move and I don't need the benefit of hindsight to say this and neither do a lot of people here.

Yes, 100% agreed with you

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Euuhhh...Not really, Sergei was just misused by all the bad coaches (especially Martin) this team had when he was here.

Sergei just had two very good seasons in Nashville and is a very important part of the Preds Offense while Scotty was and still a joke.

Sergei is now a very fine talented NHL hockey player that the Habs could use on their top 6 forwards. On the opposite side, your idol Gomez will now be sitting at home eating hotdogs & popcorn.

Nice attempt though, I appreciate the effort...
U forgot the

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Im sure Gomez is a very nice guy, and that all the negative talk in Montreal must have affected him (and he handled it well imo)

But ........

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
?????

Go look at the original Gomez trade thread. You didn't need a crystal ball to know that including McD was a mind blowingly stupid move. Some of us knew that adding him into this albatross of a mess was horrific.

Please don't come here now and try to say that we didn't know that this was freaking horrible because we did. And now McD will spend the next decade or two proving us right. Dumb, dumb move and I don't need the benefit of hindsight to say this and neither do a lot of people here.
you make it sound like we had a Bobby Orr in the making or something. From what I remember most people were happy that we got the "best" player in the trade at that time. I will say it again. Nobody knew how McD would turn out. You make it sound like he was already in the NHL dominating. Every GM makes bad moves this one just turned out horrible just like the sharks trade when we got Paches and Gorges. It goes both ways you win trades you lose trades now get over it. This was how long ago?

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Yes, 100% agreed with you
we could have given up a bag of crap and NY still would have won that trade. No matter how good someone is playing in the minors there is absolutely no way we can know how good the player really is for the NHL. Not saying that this was the GM's mindset but they took a risk for sure and did it work? no way in hell. Does it work? Yes and this separates good GM's from the bad and sadly as much as I like Gainey this proved that he was not the right guy running the show in Montreal.

Things tend to even themselves out though as we won a trade when we got mac pac and gorges for rivet. Based on talent alone ant not contracts we won that trade more than NY won the Gomez trade.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Et le But

Don't forget we played a major part in the Rangers clearing cap space to bring in key free agents.

The Habs aren't the reason that Gaborik, Nash and Richards are Rangers...but we did help set the stage.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Mr. Hab

Hypothetical (silly question maybe?!):

Leafs pick up Gomez...can they pay 1/2 or 1/3 of Gomez's salary?
(with new CBA...maybe a team can negotiate to pay 1/2,etc ; also...if Leafs/other NHL team pick up Gomez...we'll have more UFA $$).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Don't forget we played a major part in the Rangers clearing cap space to bring in key free agents.

The Habs aren't the reason that Gaborik, Nash and Richards are Rangers...but we did help set the stage.
Rangers are going to end up regretting those contracts too... Gaborik has maybe 2 good years left, Richards has another 1 or 2. Nash, frankly, has never lived up to his contract, we'll see if he can pick it up in NYC.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
romdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Well The contract killed him. If he was 3million he would be there right now
and so did the crowd, I'm not satisfied with his ability to communicate though. The guy hasn't played well at all, but he still has 2 stanley and was the rookie of the year. He still has potential & skills, he just needs to start again from the ground up, like Souray and other players who came back after such challenges.

romdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Bergevin said if someone called in for a trade, he would accept it as well
At a $7.3 cap hit, not worth mentioning.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Andy

that is the best gif I've ever seen. I haven't laughed this hard in a while

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
OneSharpMarble

If gomez wants to play he can void his contract and find a new team, I have no sympathy for someone who knows they are not worth the cash but will not walk away from it.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Habs13

I'm sure he's a great guy and all, but he isn't an NHL caliber playing any longer. It was a rough and probably difficult move for Bergervin to make, but the right one for the team.

See ya Gomer!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If gomez wants to play he can void his contract and find a new team, I have no sympathy for someone who knows they are not worth the cash but will not walk away from it.
Yeah cause I`m sure in his situation you`d walk away from 8.5 million.

I think if he had a choice he`d get bought out right away and could find a new team as UFA. I think that`s one thing the NHLPA screwed up with the CBA. Redden is in the same boat and there may be others.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Hypothetical (silly question maybe?!):

Leafs pick up Gomez...can they pay 1/2 or 1/3 of Gomez's salary?
(with new CBA...maybe a team can negotiate to pay 1/2,etc ; also...if Leafs/other NHL team pick up Gomez...we'll have more UFA $$).
If anybody picks up Gomez they are on the hook for 100% of his salary and cap hit(on waivers). The habs would surely trade him but I doubt they would keep any moneyécap hit in the deal as they want 7.35 mil relief next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The problem here is not solely Scott Gomez. It's Scott Gomez AND his cap hit. Gomez is still a NHL'er. Just for so much less money. And we will need that extra money later. And this year, it's an audition for who will be bought next. Bourque or Kaberle.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

I've changed my avatar and title in his honor.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
you make it sound like we had a Bobby Orr in the making or something. From what I remember most people were happy that we got the "best" player in the trade at that time.?
Again... go look at that trade thread. Most folks thought it was terrible. Then we found out we included Higgins... then McD.... then people freaked out. And deservedly so.
Quote:
I will say it again. Nobody knew how McD would turn out. You make it sound like he was already in the NHL dominating.
And again, most of us don't need the benefit of hindsight for this. We knew he was a good prospect who had a very good chance of coming back and biting us in the ass and that's exactly what's happening now.

Don't give me this BS about how we didn't know anything...
Quote:
Every GM makes bad moves this one just turned out horrible just like the sharks trade when we got Paches and Gorges. It goes both ways you win trades you lose trades now get over it. This was how long ago?
Stop being an apologist. It was stupid then and looks even worse now. And no, I'm not going to get over this until our friend Ryan McD retires.

Not only did we take on a ridiculous contract hit for a player who helped keep us medicore for four freaking years, we gave up assets to get him. Good thing they didn't ask for Subban too.

Quote:
we could have given up a bag of crap and NY still would have won that trade.
Right. So why the hell are you defending it? Why are you trying to make it seem as though we didn't know this when it happened?
Quote:
No matter how good someone is playing in the minors there is absolutely no way we can know how good the player really is for the NHL.
That is just about the dumbest argument I've heard from people on this deal. We heard this crap back then and I'm shocked that you're actually trying to use it now.

The guy was a first round pick. So yeah, the odds are actually pretty good that he's going to turn into a decent player. Hell, we have the best scouting in the league, all the MORE reason not to do it.

But you sit there and try to argue that there was no way to know? Dude, please...

Quote:
Not saying that this was the GM's mindset but they took a risk for sure and did it work? no way in hell. Does it work? Yes and this separates good GM's from the bad and sadly as much as I like Gainey this proved that he was not the right guy running the show in Montreal.

Things tend to even themselves out though as we won a trade when we got mac pac and gorges for rivet. Based on talent alone ant not contracts we won that trade more than NY won the Gomez trade.
Debatable... and irrelevant.

It was a totally stupid move and again, we didn't need the gift of hindsight to know it. Please don't sit there and try to pass this off as us only realizing this now. Some of us don't need to stick our fingers in water to know that it's wet.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I've changed my avatar and title in his honor.
I lol'd at the pic, then I lol'd at "stay at home forward". Well played, sir.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

lol at the two guys in the stands during the Habs' practice who gave themselves high 5s after learning of the news.

It's sad how Gomez has fallen. I believe we would not have made it to the conference finals without him, him and Gio were magic together in the series.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If anybody picks up Gomez they are on the hook for 100% of his salary and cap hit(on waivers). The habs would surely trade him but I doubt they would keep any moneyécap hit in the deal as they want 7.35 mil relief next year.
Thanks for reply, but didn't I hear that with the new CBA teams can negotiate to pay half? (if other team accepts,etc, or...maybe this is for next year only?).

Old
01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Andy

I really hope Gomez considered terminating his contract (if possible, I'm not sure of the rules) and signs with a different team. I think not having the cap hit over his head will take a lot of pressure of his shoulders. If he still can't perform, then at least he knows that it's because his game has declined because of age and not because of pressure.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
lol at the two guys in the stands during the Habs' practice who gave themselves high 5s after learning of the news.

It's sad how Gomez has fallen. I believe we would not have made it to the conference finals without him, him and Gio were magic together in the series.
Exactly. Thanks for the reminder for everyone to read...this is exactly how I feel too. We made the Conference Finals (amazing beating Pitts and Wash) and I do believe Gomez and Gionta had a lot to do with that (of course there was also Halak, Gorges, Subban vs 2 teams,etc). That Conference Finals is a great memory...since then the best memory was Subban scoring that tying goal to send us to overtime vs the Bruins. And hopefully we go further next time than Conference Finals but another one of those is way better than an early 1st Rnd exit or not making the playoffs at all.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-13-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Andy

Gomez is making 3.2 prorated this season and after the buyouts next season, he will only earn 2.2. (If the math is incorrect, sorry). That's 5.4 million. I wonder if he terminates his contract now with the habs, if he can get a 2.5 million deal for two years with a club. Of course it will be prorated, but he can make 4 million dollars while playing hockey if he does so, or 5 million sitting at home losing playing time and risking not getting back into the game a year later.