HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
I'm dvring Arsenal, because I will probably go to training camp tomorrow. is Barca/Malaga on beIN?

Old
01-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

soccer sucks

Old
01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I'm dvring Arsenal, because I will probably go to training camp tomorrow. is Barca/Malaga on beIN?
Lucky for you it is on Bein sports. I still have to watch all my La liga and Lamela games on the net. ****ing rodgers and ****ing Bell!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
soccer sucks
I agree... what ever the hell that is.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

soc·cer (skr)
n.
A game played on a rectangular field with net goals at either end in which two teams of 11 players each try to drive a ball into the other's goal by kicking, heading, or using any part of the body except the arms and hands. The goalie is the only player who may touch or move the ball with the arms or hands.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

That sounds familiar but the name is completely wrong. You're discribing football my dear bubba.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Bubba don't let the Pikes Peak air make you go crazy or high. Football is 1B to hockey.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:25 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

D2M, who is that guy with a huge german accent on that network? He always pauses a good 10 seconds between sentences?

Old
01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

The 2 that I know by name who worked at goltv are Ray Hudson(absolute legend) and Phil Schoen who isn't bad. The other at Goltv sucked hard and I'm not sure they went to BeIN sports.

Hudson is an Englsihmen but I'm not sure where Phil's from. I'm hoping one of Rodgers or Bell gets off their ass and get me my footy fix. I doubt it tho.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Bubba don't let the Pikes Peak air make you go crazy or high. Football is 1B to hockey.
not in this town. Avs take a backseat to the Broncos every day of the week.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
not in this town. Avs take a backseat to the Broncos every day of the week.

This bro.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Rhaego

Quote:

This bro.
Gay

Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Bonzai12

Old
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
famicommander

vCash: 500
Yesterday was a giant kick in the nuts for me.

First I suffered through that sorry excuse for a Broncos game. Not only did we lose in the end to a team we should have walked over, but the game went into double overtime causing me to miss the start of the Mammoth game.

I made it into the arena with about five minutes left in the first, just in time to see us score an own goal. We went on to lose the home opener, 17-13.

So after watching the Broncos' playoff run end early and the Mammoth drop their opener, I walk to my car outside Pepsi Center to see that someone hit my car and broke one of the headlights. So I spent today dealing with that, and am now hoping the can't-make-a-free-throw Nuggets can win and pull me out of this sports-induced depression. I always take it hard when the home team loses. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, being a Rockies/Nuggets fan that grew up in the 90s, but nope.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Gay
Hahaha, i think u b jelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
that is college where majority of those players won't make the nfl. My gif is from international teams, highest level competition.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Hahaha, i think u b jelly.

that is college where majority of those players won't make the nfl. My gif is from international teams, highest level competition.
Your gif is like 2 seconds and its a kick, a kick my neighbor could do. Find me someone who could do that return

Old
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Your gif is like 2 seconds and its a kick, a kick my neighbor could do. Find me someone who could do that return
What does the length of the gif have to do with how incredible that goal was?

I would like to see this neighbor of yours do that. I honestly would pay money to see it too. In the real football gif it takes real talent to do that and the throwball gif was just because the player is crazy athletic no real talent. That's why I appreicate the sports of football and hockey more than anything else, you can't just be athletic and expect to be great at the sport. You have to have a speical talent.

Where as in AM ball and to an extent basketball you can be really big with no talent and be a great player.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:59 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
What does the length of the gif have to do with how incredible that goal was?

I would like to see this neighbor of yours do that. I honestly would pay money to see it too. In the real football gif it takes real talent to do that and the throwball gif was just because the player is crazy athletic no real talent. That's why I appreicate the sports of football and hockey more than anything else, you can't just be athletic and expect to be great at the sport. You have to have a speical talent.

Where as in AM ball and to an extent basketball you can be really big with no talent and be a great player.
I won't argue for football even though you're wrong about it but you're kidding with basketball right?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

What's Yao Ming's talent other than being freakishly tall? Of course they're a talent as well.

Same question about throwballl whats the talent in the defensive/offensive lines being overwieght and throwing their bodies around like miny sumo wrestlers.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:11 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
What's Yao Ming's talent other than being freakishly tall? Of course they're a talent as well.

Same question about throwballl whats the talent in the defensive/offensive lines being overwieght and throwing their bodies around like miny sumo wrestlers.
Look at a guy like JR Giddens and a guy like Jose Calderon. One is extremely athletic but he sucks at basketball and the other isn't all that athletic but is a pretty good basketball player. It takes more than athleticism and height to be a good basketball player.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

They typicaly rate high on IQ tests.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
nada

Quote:

As someone who played both sports quite a bit, the skills needed to be an effective interior defender in association football in a lot of situations aren't all that different from the skills needed to be an effective pass-blocking OT for example. Not the way you use your hands/feet obviously, but your mindset and how you read the play and react.

Same with wide receivers and strikers that play in sort of a reactive counter-strike system. Also there's the obvious similarity between the QB and a playmaking center-midfielder. Those read-react instincts are what innate talent is, the ball skills are 99% practice.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 PM
thedoctor
                    

No matter whether Rahim Moore comes back, plays well, plays poorly, gets traded/cut -- I'm forever calling him Buckner. That play was on that level.

I have 21 points directly going the Ravens' way from officiating mistakes -- missed PI on Decker leads to pick 6, Bailey gets OPI'd for a touchdown, and the absolutely laughable holding call on Kuper leads to a Manning fumble the next play. That's ignoring the bad calls that didn't affect the game significantly -- the Bailey PI call, the failure to overturn the Bolden "catch," etc.

This may not be exactly the right place to ask, but I see a lot of people saying officiating was bad both ways. Where did the Ravens get burned by the officials?

Old
01-14-2013, 02:44 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I would agree that the officiating was bad toward the Broncos (for the record, not a Broncos fan).

But one thing I'd like to offer up as an opinion. Rahim Moore didn't lose this game for the Broncos. Sure, his decision-making on that play was terrible, and he even said as such after the game. But the Broncos had many other things happen before that play that led to them losing.

1) 14 points off of turnovers for the Ravens, 0 points off of turnovers for the Broncos

2) John Fox and Jack Del Rio's inability to adjust their Defensive Scheme in the first half. Unfortunately Torrey Smith was just killing Champ in the 1st half. They should have adjusted for a Safety overhead help in the first half, that could have helped prevent some points.

3) Prater's missed FG kick. I know that he got a good chunk of ground initially, imagine the Broncos getting that FG going into halftime. It might have led to a different Ravens team coming out of the break.

4) 31 seconds left in the game and the Broncos decide to clock it and take their chances in OT? Come on! They had all 3 of their timeouts left and 31 seconds on the clock and arguably the BEST QB to play the game at the helm, and you clock it? Gotta take a chance to get the ball downfield and give Prater another chance.

5) Now I'm going to look like a hypocrite after singing Manning's praises in #4, but he doesn't make many mistakes. But that throw in OT that led to the Ravens' game winning FG was a mistake. He admitted to "wanting that throw back". You can see what he was going for though on the Replays. I think it was Stokley who broke behind his defender, Manning just didn't get enough on the throw. But beyond that, he should have just thrown the ball away.

I know that I left Rahim Moore's play off of here, but that's only because I don't think that he deserves to be branded for the loss. He made an absolutely terrible defensive play, as I have already stated. But I hope that Broncos fans can see that he wasn't the sole reason for the loss.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I would agree that the officiating was bad toward the Broncos (for the record, not a Broncos fan).

But one thing I'd like to offer up as an opinion. Rahim Moore didn't lose this game for the Broncos. Sure, his decision-making on that play was terrible, and he even said as such after the game. But the Broncos had many other things happen before that play that led to them losing.

1) 14 points off of turnovers for the Ravens, 0 points off of turnovers for the Broncos

2) John Fox and Jack Del Rio's inability to adjust their Defensive Scheme in the first half. Unfortunately Torrey Smith was just killing Champ in the 1st half. They should have adjusted for a Safety overhead help in the first half, that could have helped prevent some points.

3) Prater's missed FG kick. I know that he got a good chunk of ground initially, imagine the Broncos getting that FG going into halftime. It might have led to a different Ravens team coming out of the break.

4) 31 seconds left in the game and the Broncos decide to clock it and take their chances in OT? Come on! They had all 3 of their timeouts left and 31 seconds on the clock and arguably the BEST QB to play the game at the helm, and you clock it? Gotta take a chance to get the ball downfield and give Prater another chance.

5) Now I'm going to look like a hypocrite after singing Manning's praises in #4, but he doesn't make many mistakes. But that throw in OT that led to the Ravens' game winning FG was a mistake. He admitted to "wanting that throw back". You can see what he was going for though on the Replays. I think it was Stokley who broke behind his defender, Manning just didn't get enough on the throw. But beyond that, he should have just thrown the ball away.

I know that I left Rahim Moore's play off of here, but that's only because I don't think that he deserves to be branded for the loss. He made an absolutely terrible defensive play, as I have already stated. But I hope that Broncos fans can see that he wasn't the sole reason for the loss.
I understand there were a lot of factors, and I agree on each individual point -- all preventable bad things. But those bad things like missed FGs, INTs, scheme, etc. -- that stuff happens. Rahim "Buckner" Moore's was by far the most preventable. That's a play, whether it's tackling the receiver after the catch, batting away the ball, or even picking it, an NFL starter makes 999 out of 1000 attempts. He deserves every bit of blame and more.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Bonzai12

I love Del Rio but I really doubt his playcalling on that last drive and in the whole second half.

On the big play, the Ravens were in third down, and had zero timeouts. And here's your defensive alignment at the snap of the ball:

I guess the safeties were playing Flacco's right hand (notice the safety cheating over) but if that's the case then why is Moore not deeper? And why are they playing them straight up instead of taking the sideline away? The safeties should have been spread out more, and who knows WTF the middle line backer was doing. Sure you give up the entire middle of the field but who cares? They had an absolute long way to go. They get one completion and that clock's down to 20 seconds with the ball at the Broncos 30-40 yard line in worst case scenario.

Just a bonehead defensive alignment. Also, I hated Del Rio's adjustments as well. Champ Bailey is possibly the BEST 0-15 yard cornerback this league has ever seen, but 15+ he has ALWAYS been rather ordinary. There's no way I would have ever put Torrey Smith on him. Smith is either a home run hitter or zilch. Same with Jones. The 0-15 yard grind em out guy is Boldin, who Champ should have been on.

Finally, no defensive pressure. Not sure I can lump that one on Del Rio. These idiots will all say Flacco was the best player on the field that day, but the Baltimore offensive line was the MVP of that game. Their pass protection won it for the Ravens. Bronco's defense and it's aggressive defensive backfield play has been predicated on QB pressure. We never got any, and the Jones TD (along with Smiths 2 bombs) are perfect evidence of a Defensive Coordinator not making any adjustments at all. Just real stubbornness game planning by Del Rio.

Closed Thread