HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Old
01-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Rangers are going to end up regretting those contracts too... Gaborik has maybe 2 good years left, Richards has another 1 or 2. Nash, frankly, has never lived up to his contract, we'll see if he can pick it up in NYC.

You know Gaborik is only on the team until the end of next season right? And why is he going to magically start sucking at the age of 31?

Even if he does suck they have Redden and him coming off books so they have $13Million Sather gets to play with. And Sather seems to always out smart everyone else.

Sather has set his team up great, big numbers fall off the cap over next few years, good mix of old and young talent, no real holes anywhere. I don't know there farm system, but this is a contender that can go another 5 years easy.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
You know Gaborik is only on the team until the end of next season right? And why is he going to magically start sucking at the age of 31?

Even if he does suck they have Redden and him coming off books so they have $13Million Sather gets to play with. And Sather seems to always out smart everyone else.

Sather has set his team up great, big numbers fall off the cap over next few years, good mix of old and young talent, no real holes anywhere. I don't know there farm system, but this is a contender that can go another 5 years easy.
+ he's in a good position to make trades that will benefit his team. The rangers are well managed.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Jigger77

Probably sucks for him at the moment. But he strikes me as the kind of person who will end up finding the positive in it. I'm sure it had to be pretty brutal dealing with the criticism and mounting pressure and constant scrutiny. Once he sits on it a while he'll likely feel a little relieved.

My guess is he ends up in the media.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Habs13

Wait... why don't the Habs send him to the AHL and not play him there? Wouldn't that free up his cap hit so we can sign a UFA or seven? Or was that changed in the new deal?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Wait... why don't the Habs send him to the AHL and not play him there? Wouldn't that free up his cap hit so we can sign a UFA or seven? Or was that changed in the new deal?
Not to risk injury. If he's injured by the time Bergevin will buy him out, he wont be allowed to do so.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Gomez is making 3.2 prorated this season and after the buyouts next season, he will only earn 2.2. (If the math is incorrect, sorry). That's 5.4 million. I wonder if he terminates his contract now with the habs, if he can get a 2.5 million deal for two years with a club. Of course it will be prorated, but he can make 4 million dollars while playing hockey if he does so, or 5 million sitting at home losing playing time and risking not getting back into the game a year later.
when did a player get the ability to terminate his own contract?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:51 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Seems kind of dumb. With the lack of offensive players, I'd rather have given him a shot this year. They'll still be paying him, and he'll still count against the cap. It's not like he has a poor attitude and would be a distraction to everyone...
I think a message needs to be sent. Rewarding a bad player who is already being paid a ridiculous amount of money with further ice time might give other players the wrong idea. The suits can't come off as soft. Of course, that's assuming that he would have gotten much ice time, anyway. Might as well just start the process now.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
when did a player get the ability to terminate his own contract?
I'm obviously talking about mutual termination. If Gomez is willing to do so, I don't see the habs management a give moments hesitation to agree.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I'm obviously talking about mutual termination. If Gomez is willing to do so, I don't see the habs management a give moments hesitation to agree.
When did mutual termination become an option? You are talking about something happening that cannot happen. Contracts are contracts, their terms can't be changed, they can't be terminated.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Only the first $900,000 is sent down, the rest stays on the cap.
Gomez cap hit still would be $6.2Million(ish) for the habs if he was playing in Hamilton.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Andy

Quote:
When did mutual termination become an option? You are talking about something happening that cannot happen. Contracts are contracts, their terms can't be changed, they can't be terminated.
I didn't know, I even asked in the previous post if it was even possible. Thanks for clarifying.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Only the first $900,000 is sent down, the rest stays on the cap.
Gomez cap hit still would be $6.2Million(ish) for the habs if he was playing in Hamilton.
Ah! That makes sense then... thanks

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Professional players get cut every year. Do you feel more sorry for Gomez or the other dozens of players that have been released, never to play in the game? I don't buy the added sympathy for Gomez unless you want to spread that sympathy equally among every other player in every other sport who has been cut from his team.
Not every player who gets cut from his (or her) team in every sport gets a message board with hundreds of comments from fans of his team celebrating a legalistic end to the career of a player who never seemed to do anything but play hard, if futilely, for the team they support. I can't find it within myself to hate any Hab- but Gomez wouldn't even come close to a list of potential candidates. I'll always remember Gomez as the first guy in Chara's face after THE hit. I'll remember him for the 2009-2010 season. I'll remember him for not scoring for a whole frustrating ******* year. But I refuse to celebrate this rather ****** end to his time with the Habs. Am I happy for cap space in a year? Sure. Do I wish we had McDonagh? Sure. But do I celebrate this crappy end to the career of a player who seems as genuinely likable as any player I've ever seen in the NHL? No ****ing way.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I don't feel bad for the guy because it's his fault, he is not getting screwed here, He clearly stopped working on his game over the years and was just going though the motions, somewhere along the way he lost his passion for the game and was just collecting a pay check
I wish it was that simple. I just think he just lost his confidence and started sucking. Sort of reminds me of when Ryder was with us. Suddenly the guy stopped producing and Carbo had to demote him to the second line...and then the third line and finally it did not even work out on the fourth line. Carbo had done this to wake him up but I figure that sort of "tough love" style doesn't work on everybody? Saku and Higgins could only watch their friend and former linemate started crumbling and falling into a deep hole. I imagine it must not be easy for Gio too to see this happen to his friend.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
Not every player who gets cut from his (or her) team in every sport gets a message board with hundreds of comments from fans of his team celebrating a legalistic end to the career of a player who never seemed to do anything but play hard, if futilely, for the team they support. I can't find it within myself to hate any Hab- but Gomez wouldn't even come close to a list of potential candidates. I'll always remember Gomez as the first guy in Chara's face after THE hit. I'll remember him for the 2009-2010 season. I'll remember him for not scoring for a whole frustrating ******* year. But I refuse to celebrate this rather ****** end to his time with the Habs. Am I happy for cap space in a year? Sure. Do I wish we had McDonagh? Sure. But do I celebrate this crappy end to the career of a player who seems as genuinely likable as any player I've ever seen in the NHL? No ****ing way.
I agree with this. I am actually surprised with the lack of respect some have shown. The mocking of Gomez didn't bother me that much while he was playing, but now that he's officially done, I would have expected the fans to be a little more respectful, especially, as you pointed, towards Gomez who has been nothing, but honest about his contract+his play and has been a good guy.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Exactly. Thanks for the reminder for everyone to read...this is exactly how I feel too. We made the Conference Finals (amazing beating Pitts and Wash) and I do believe Gomez and Gionta had a lot to do with that (of course there was also Halak, Gorges, Subban vs 2 teams,etc). That Conference Finals is a great memory...since then the best memory was Subban scoring that tying goal to send us to overtime vs the Bruins. And hopefully we go further next time than Conference Finals but another one of those is way better than an early 1st Rnd exit or not making the playoffs at all.
People were talking about Cammy's goals but I still maintain Gomez was our best forward in these series. The style of Martin really worked on his advantage as far as the speedy counterstrike after you trap your opponant. Plek who is said to be a more complete player than Gomez was invisible in these series, same with Andrei Kostitsyn. Strange how everything went south for Gomez afterwards. In my opinion management should have made a greater effort to keep the team that got us to the Conference final intact. They traded Halak, traded Lapierre, not re-signed Dominic Moore....

Old
01-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Andy

Cool story about Gomez. I went to Weinstein & Gavino's one evening after the 09-10 playoff run and the whole team was there eating dinner. I got up and spoke to quite a few players, everyone gave the you know "thanks" and cliched answers you would give to fans, but Gomez actually was like "hey man, thanks for that, sucks that we lost, would you like to have a beer or something?" I said "no", but he insisted and said "yeah, take one." He was just genuinely a nice guy. I didn't accept the beer and sat down because I didn't want to disturb while they were all together. When i sat back down I couldn't help but keep watching them as I ate, but every singe time a fan went over to speak to them, Gomez always gave them the time of day, he would chat it up, while all the other players would acknowledge and then brush away.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Cool story about Gomez. I went to Weinstein & Gavino's one evening after the 09-10 playoff run and the whole team was there eating dinner. I got up and spoke to quite a few players, everyone gave the you know "thanks" and cliched answers you would give to fans, but Gomez actually was like "hey man, thanks for that, sucks that we lost, would you like to have a beer or something?" I said "no", but he insisted and said "yeah, take one." He was just genuinely a nice guy. I didn't accept the beer and sat down because I didn't want to disturb while they were all together. When i sat back down I couldn't help but keep watching them as I ate, but every singe time a fan went over to speak to them, Gomez always gave them the time of day, he would chat it up, while all the other players would acknowledge and then brush away.

Thanks for sharing that, as time goes by people realise how a good person he was(wonder if he learned french? lol).

But I won't miss the circus his mere presence generated.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Good people lose their job sometimes.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Andy

Quote:
Good people lose their job sometimes.
Yes, it's certainly true. However, the point is Gomez was respectful during his time in Montreal. He always faced the music and was the first to admit that he wasn't playing well. He never threw his team under the bus. Unfortunately, his play could never live up to the cap hit. All this to say is, yeah, he was awful in the last two years, but let's show some respect. The mocking/backhand compliments and even in some instances the hate is overboard now.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
People were talking about Cammy's goals but I still maintain Gomez was our best forward in these series. The style of Martin really worked on his advantage as far as the speedy counterstrike after you trap your opponant. Plek who is said to be a more complete player than Gomez was invisible in these series, same with Andrei Kostitsyn. Strange how everything went south for Gomez afterwards. In my opinion management should have made a greater effort to keep the team that got us to the Conference final intact. They traded Halak, traded Lapierre, not re-signed Dominic Moore....
Martin and Plekanec publicly talked that Plekanec's duties switched in the POs and told him to be a lot more defensive. Plekanec didn't disappear, he was great defensively, he fulfilled the role asked of him perfectly well.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:45 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Glad as hell he's gone, but it's a shame it had to be this way. He seems like a genuinely sweet dude and such a refreshing figure from the knob-heads of the previous generation who let the skanks at Buona and Globe get to their heads. Higgins, Komi, the Kostitsyns, Souray, even Kovy and Koivu enjoyed the Caligula lifestyle a bit too much here. If only Gomer's play was a bit better, a bit more representative of his talent.

That said, Gio is the only Mouseketeer left and should be really looking over his shoulders, his mediocre production and presence won't be rewarded with another fat contract.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:16 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The Habs are waiving him. Then assigning him to the minors but telling him to stay home and get paid without risking injury.

Because he is waived, he is not holding a spot on the 23-man roster. We do have to pay another player, say around $600,000, to be the 13th or 14th forward, but we get to save $900k of Gomez' hit. And the buyout will only cost $3M when they finally do it.

To answer the other question someone brought up, no, if we had put him in the minors last year, it would not have made a difference this year or next.
OK, thanks.
A pretty sad ending for what seems to be a genuinly good guy.
But it the end, it is a business and this was a business decision. Hopefully he'll get a chance next season.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Cool story about Gomez. I went to Weinstein & Gavino's one evening after the 09-10 playoff run and the whole team was there eating dinner. I got up and spoke to quite a few players, everyone gave the you know "thanks" and cliched answers you would give to fans, but Gomez actually was like "hey man, thanks for that, sucks that we lost, would you like to have a beer or something?" I said "no", but he insisted and said "yeah, take one." Gomez was just genuinely a nice guy. I didn't accept the beer and sat down because I didn't want to disturb while they were all together. When i sat back down I couldn't help but keep watching them as I ate, but every singe time a fan went over to speak to them, Gomez always gave them the time of day, he would chat it up, while all the other players would acknowledge and then brush away.

This is (the above post) one example of why I love HF.
Thanks for sharing .
I actually don't like bother ing players if I ever see them in person 'cause I know some of them could think ''oh ****, not another fan who wants my time''. Of course some (a few) like Gomez are genuinely friendly.

Anybody else there at that supper that was semi-friendly at least?! (Gorges? Subban?). It really seems like there aren't many that are genuinely friendly like Gomez on the Habs or in the NHL (genuine/humble/very likeable guy). Too many NHL players don't realize that their million$ come from fans. I remember Komisarek in person...he was the biggest **** of 'em all. He had this very sour look on his face like fans were bothering him just by being there and clapping/cheering the Habs on before getting on the bus (before playing the Bruins in playoffs). Met Brian Savage once...super friendly. Darcy Tucker was also very friendly. If I go up to a player...I usually just say a quick hi, shake hands, and leave (ex: Corson)...but sometimes a player would make me stay to talk more, so I do...but it's rare (I don't like bothering players anyway...since not many are genuinely friendly like Gomez....most NHL palyers don't want to hang out with dull normals/not millionaires! just kidding of course! just bitter post-lockout talk!).

I think I'd be like Gomez (personality) if I were a hockey player...and not a big ***-whole like Komisarek (Komisarek is so lucky to be making millions...money given by fans...since he has been terrible for 3+ seasons now...he should rot in the AHL...Leafs should buy him out).

I really really don't believe Gomez was just showing up for his paycheck. After all...played for Alaska (ECHL?) several times even though he could have been seriously injured and not collect his salary. He does love playing hockey and he gives back to his Alaska community (he;s not just a spoiled snobby millionaire who thinks he's above everyone because he's rich).

Some will hate me but I will miss Gomez's demeanor (really wished he found his game last season).

Gomez was the most liked player in the dressing room imo.
Everyone I spoke to who met him told me he always smiling/friendly and humble...and also treated everyone to drinks, meals,etc... he wasn't a cheap *** like so many NHL palyers. I don't hear this about other super rich players on our Habs. It was always Gomez that treated his teammates on a regular basis and this is from 15-20 people now.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-14-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:54 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah cause I`m sure in his situation you`d walk away from 8.5 million.

I think if he had a choice he`d get bought out right away and could find a new team as UFA. I think that`s one thing the NHLPA screwed up with the CBA. Redden is in the same boat and there may be others.
If someone valued playing the sport more than the money ofcourse they would. He isn't going to turn down the cash because he knows he will never make it again.

Nothing is stopping him from trying to get another contract except his own greed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote